Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1214

Thread: Nine Inch Nails Inducted Into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame

  1. #1171
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    3,377
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    They weren't exactly kicked out either. Trent did announce in Honolulu that this band is coming to an end, and then there was a 10-month gap before LITS started. Aaron moved on to do Jubilee and Jeordie joined Manson again months before they started reassembling the band for LITS. And since TR contributed something to Jubilee, I'm pretty sure he was on good terms with Aaron.

  2. #1172
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,365
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    I doubt it has anything to do with that. The HOF seems to induct whoever is currently in a band. When the Chili Peppers got inducted, their guitar player Klinghoffer got inducted with them even though he had been in the band for like 2 years out of their 30 year career and appeared on one album (considered to be their worst). He was a nothing member and still got in the HOF based on being in the current band. When Metallica got in, their bass player Trujillo got inducted with them even though he was in the band 5 years out of their 30 year career at the time. It just so happened he was a current member at the time of induction. They seem to go with current members and then pick and choose former members.

    With that said. Trent should be the only one inducted. He IS Nine Inch Nails and has been ever since 1988. But it sure is fun watching Richard Patrick go into meltdown mode
    The Rock Hall's rules are completely arbitrary. There's the examples you cited, but also, the only members of Kiss inducted were the "classic" lineup, despite Singer and Thayer being in the band for a couple decades at their induction point. Journey's induction also didn't include Arnel Pineda despite him being the set-in-stone lead singer since 2009. And, of course, it didn't matter which ten random people were in Guns 'n' Roses when they were inducted, they focused on the guys you actually remember when you think about the band. Compare those examples to Klinghoffer getting in (which was absurd), and a couple other examples along those lines, and it's clear that the Hall decides basically at random, using whatever criteria they feel like focusing on, almost on a band-to-band basis.

    There's a lot of dumb shit about the Rock Hall, but this is the one that's most annoying to me. Set some criteria that makes sense and stick to it, or stop indicating which members are getting in and let them all have the "honor."

  3. #1173
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,259
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gorast View Post
    The Rock Hall's rules are completely arbitrary. There's the examples you cited, but also, the only members of Kiss inducted were the "classic" lineup, despite Singer and Thayer being in the band for a couple decades at their induction point. Journey's induction also didn't include Arnel Pineda despite him being the set-in-stone lead singer since 2009. And, of course, it didn't matter which ten random people were in Guns 'n' Roses when they were inducted, they focused on the guys you actually remember when you think about the band. Compare those examples to Klinghoffer getting in (which was absurd), and a couple other examples along those lines, and it's clear that the Hall decides basically at random, using whatever criteria they feel like focusing on, almost on a band-to-band basis.

    There's a lot of dumb shit about the Rock Hall, but this is the one that's most annoying to me. Set some criteria that makes sense and stick to it, or stop indicating which members are getting in and let them all have the "honor."
    Reeves Gabrels, a current Cure member but still not appearing on any studio albums (unsure if that's a typical criterion) wasn't initially going to get inducted last year until Robert Smith apparently refused to show up for the ceremony unless they modified it. As far as I know, that may have set a precedent now for say, Trent being able to lobby for additional NIN members. It's not something the Hall has done in the past, but clearly the gates are open for that now. Almost makes you wonder if they'll retroactively go back and give people credit where it's due. Likely not, but it could be interesting.

  4. #1174
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    468
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    They weren't exactly kicked out either. Trent did announce in Honolulu that this band is coming to an end, and then there was a 10-month gap before LITS started. Aaron moved on to do Jubilee and Jeordie joined Manson again months before they started reassembling the band for LITS. And since TR contributed something to Jubilee, I'm pretty sure he was on good terms with Aaron.
    I swear I read something a while back either from Aaron's mouth or from someone close to him that he was having huge issues with the constant touring NIN demanded in 2005-2007 and it took an enormous toll on him mentally. I know he had a breakdown at some point a few years after all of that wrapped up and he's been out of the music scene since.

    There's so much behind-the-scenes stuff I wish we were privy to.

  5. #1175
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX 24.24.1.400[Inc]
    Posts
    508
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    ....And since TR contributed something to Jubilee...
    What was TR's contribution to Jubilee?

  6. #1176
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    708
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    I did catch a show of theirs quite a few years back and had a decent time. Certainly not debating Richard's talents at all, though it seems like his legacy as far as NIN is concerned is summed up to drone guitar and being one of Trent's first punching bags. He sure seems awful bitter about a lot of things, and that's not really a recent development.
    Don't forget the song Piggy was about Richard Patrick too, if that counts for legacy.

  7. #1177
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,071
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    What was TR's contribution to Jubilee?
    I believe he programmed the drum machine.

  8. #1178
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    683
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    By the way, I am sorry, but there is no way Filter is getting in, the band has been mostly forgotten by the masses apart from "Hey Man Nice Shot" does the public care about any other songs? Can people name at least three albums? Did the band do like, something new or innovative, ground breaking for Industrial Rock? Or hell, did they do anything exceptionally well? They are an okay Industrial Rock/Alt Rock band, really, but that' it, they're not really important nor caused any real impact in the grand scheme of things.

  9. #1179
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    By the way, I am sorry, but there is no way Filter is getting in, the band has been mostly forgotten by the masses apart from "Hey Man Nice Shot" does the public care about any other songs? Can people name at least three albums? Did the band do like, something new or innovative, ground breaking for Industrial Rock? Or hell, did they do anything exceptionally well? They are an okay Industrial Rock/Alt Rock band, really, but that' it, they're not really important nor caused any real impact in the grand scheme of things.
    My guess is the rock hall didn't take his picture and they don't remember. Too bad as he could have went on stage and yelled 'HEY DAD WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT YOUR SON NOOOOW'

  10. #1180
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,257
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    I swear I read something a while back either from Aaron's mouth or from someone close to him that he was having huge issues with the constant touring NIN demanded in 2005-2007 and it took an enormous toll on him mentally. I know he had a breakdown at some point a few years after all of that wrapped up and he's been out of the music scene since.

    There's so much behind-the-scenes stuff I wish we were privy to.
    He has mental problems. Diagnosed bipolar and severe depression. He had these issues before he was in NIN.

    Check this article for more info: https://www.spin.com/2013/09/aaron-n...s-icarus-line/

  11. #1181
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    83
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    By the way, I am sorry, but there is no way Filter is getting in, the band has been mostly forgotten by the masses apart from "Hey Man Nice Shot" does the public care about any other songs? Can people name at least three albums? Did the band do like, something new or innovative, ground breaking for Industrial Rock? Or hell, did they do anything exceptionally well? They are an okay Industrial Rock/Alt Rock band, really, but that' it, they're not really important nor caused any real impact in the grand scheme of things.
    Filter wasn't innovative for neither industrial rock or rock in general, that's why will never get in. People are just asslicking him and being naive thinking he has any chance to get inducted to the hall by himself. His only chance was with NIN and it's already gone. Filter wasn't influential to any relevant artist that came after them, actually was just one of those bands influented by NIN that nobody usually remembers anymore. Honestly, Richard is lucky that Filter still around in 2020.

  12. #1182
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    683
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firewlker View Post
    Filter wasn't innovative for neither industrial rock or rock in general, that's why will never get in. People are just asslicking him and being naive thinking he has any chance to get inducted to the hall by himself. His only chance was with NIN and it's already gone. Filter wasn't influential to any relevant artist that came after them, actually was just one of those bands influented by NIN that nobody usually remembers anymore. Honestly, Richard is lucky that Filter still around in 2020.
    ...And when it comes to NIN influenced bands I'd still take Stabbing Westward over Filter.

  13. #1183
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    1,003
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Filter is no different than Stabbing Westward or Silverchair or Toad The Wet Sprocket......Just another one hit wonder 90s band that was forgotten about in a few years......I actually thought the people saying Filter would get into the HOF were trolling him but apparently they were serious lmao. The only way Richard could get into the HOF is if he buys the HOF

  14. #1184
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    639
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Stabbing Westward > Filter. imo

  15. #1185
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,802
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Filter is no different than Stabbing Westward or Silverchair or Toad The Wet Sprocket......Just another one hit wonder 90s band that was forgotten about in a few years......I actually thought the people saying Filter would get into the HOF were trolling him but apparently they were serious lmao. The only way Richard could get into the HOF is if he buys the HOF
    Or keeps whining enough about it that they feel sorry for him and let him in out of pity. "Yes, Mr. Patrick, your career has been amazing."

  16. #1186
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    83
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Filter is no different than Stabbing Westward or Silverchair or Toad The Wet Sprocket......Just another one hit wonder 90s band that was forgotten about in a few years......I actually thought the people saying Filter would get into the HOF were trolling him but apparently they were serious lmao. The only way Richard could get into the HOF is if he buys the HOF
    Well tbh Silverchair is kinda far from being a one hit wonder band but I get what you're saying and you're right.

  17. #1187
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,259
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firewlker View Post
    Well tbh Silverchair is kinda far from being a one hit wonder band but I get what you're saying and you're right.
    yeah, maybe replace Stabbing Westward with Gravity Kills and Silverchair with like... I dunno, Tonic or something and I can maybe see the comparison with that more. To Mr. Patrick's credit, Filter did have more than one hit. And have still somehow remained active all these years. That counts for something.

  18. #1188
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    683
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Filter is no different than Stabbing Westward or Silverchair or Toad The Wet Sprocket......Just another one hit wonder 90s band that was forgotten about in a few years......I actually thought the people saying Filter would get into the HOF were trolling him but apparently they were serious lmao. The only way Richard could get into the HOF is if he buys the HOF
    I think Darkest Days is an amazing album though in its own right, while Short Bus...really the real stand-out is the big single and the rest is just all right, Darkest Day is a really consistent record though

  19. #1189
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    1,003
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    To Mr. Patrick's credit, Filter did have more than one hit. And have still somehow remained active all these years. That counts for something.
    2 hits. They had that pop song in the late 90s that did ok. At this point he is reduced to playing barbeque shacks. His last tour got cancelled before it even began because of poor ticket sales. I don't think he is even on a label anymore either. He's hawking his album on pledge music sites. Its over for Ritchie boy

  20. #1190
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    Posts
    593
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    I'm pretty sure Aaron and Jeordie did not leave of their own volition.
    Aaron left because of his mental health, Jeordie left to rejoin Marilyn Manson

    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    What was TR's contribution to Jubilee?


    Feat Maynard too.
    Last edited by scorpiusdiamond; 09-11-2020 at 05:17 AM.

  21. #1191
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,679
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    I mean, it really could be either way, eh? Jeordie rejoined MM because he was let go? Aaron says he left, but he was really let go? In the Star Advertiser interview, Trent says it's the last iteration of this band, kind of like it's his decision? We may never know. I do vaguely remember reading somewhere that Trent said he didn't like the partying of the guys or something like that, and which two out of four didn't return to tour in 2008? Probably the harder partying ones.

  22. #1192
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,259
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    I mean, it really could be either way, eh? Jeordie rejoined MM because he was let go? Aaron says he left, but he was really let go? In the Star Advertiser interview, Trent says it's the last iteration of this band, kind of like it's his decision? We may never know. I do vaguely remember reading somewhere that Trent said he didn't like the partying of the guys or something like that, and which two out of four didn't return to tour in 2008? Probably the harder partying ones.
    I feel like (perhaps not anymore) the live NIN incarnation was basically a tour-by-tour contract that never came with any promises of lasting beyond those obligations. Whether one wants to look at that as being "let go" is probably just semantics.

  23. #1193
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,608
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    The irony is, the guy who was most like a ‘hired musician’ Josh Freese did leave the band of his own accord and actually wrote an update explaining that he didn’t leave the band because he was offered more money by someone else

    https://www.musicradar.com/news/guit...h-nails-186410
    Last edited by WorzelG; 09-11-2020 at 09:56 AM.

  24. #1194
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Panel K, Simulation
    Posts
    295
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I don't understand the hate for Richard Patrick. The guy is talented. He has a great voice, he is a talented musician, and Filter has put out some great work. All this talk about "one hit wonder" but we are all die hard fans of a band that hasn't had a "hit" in a long time, but we know what the TRUE quality really is. Hits don't matter. The art matters. Short Bus, overall, is a great record. He's made some greta stuff since then as well. But the real point here - does he belong in the HOF? I wish they would induct him. Someone could argue that he was more a part of the live presence than the studio presence, but NIN was BORN on the road. It's how anyone found out. He was there, taking all the abuse, giving his all. I'd put him in there. But that's just me. Either way, no need to shit on the guy. I don't think many of us here are nearly as talented as he is. Is he Trent Reznor? Not even close, but I don't think he's trying to be. I don't think he ever was trying to be. I like him.

  25. #1195
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I don't understand the hate for Richard Patrick. The guy is talented. He has a great voice, he is a talented musician, and Filter has put out some great work. All this talk about "one hit wonder" but we are all die hard fans of a band that hasn't had a "hit" in a long time, but we know what the TRUE quality really is. Hits don't matter. The art matters. Short Bus, overall, is a great record. He's made some greta stuff since then as well. But the real point here - does he belong in the HOF? I wish they would induct him. Someone could argue that he was more a part of the live presence than the studio presence, but NIN was BORN on the road. It's how anyone found out. He was there, taking all the abuse, giving his all. I'd put him in there. But that's just me. Either way, no need to shit on the guy. I don't think many of us here are nearly as talented as he is. Is he Trent Reznor? Not even close, but I don't think he's trying to be. I don't think he ever was trying to be. I like him.
    I don’t know man, after re-watching Hired Gun (because everybody was talking about it above), I think maybe he deserves a lot of the animosity the receives. For some reason he thinks his presence in NIN is somehow different than the “other guys” who play with Filter live. From the sounds of it he treats everyone he works with really badly and equates it to more or less (paraphrasing here) “I’m Filter, you guys are lucky enough to play for me and that should be enough, so I’m going to treat you like shit and pay you nothing”. Honestly I never liked the band so Im not the best person to judge, but that interview really rubbed me the wrong way. I also get the vibe that if Filter ever does actually get inducted, he wouldn't be fighting to have anybody besides him involved, which isn't that far removed from whats happened here with the NIN induction.

  26. #1196
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    83
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I don't understand the hate for Richard Patrick. The guy is talented. He has a great voice, he is a talented musician, and Filter has put out some great work. All this talk about "one hit wonder" but we are all die hard fans of a band that hasn't had a "hit" in a long time, but we know what the TRUE quality really is. Hits don't matter. The art matters. Short Bus, overall, is a great record. He's made some greta stuff since then as well. But the real point here - does he belong in the HOF? I wish they would induct him. Someone could argue that he was more a part of the live presence than the studio presence, but NIN was BORN on the road. It's how anyone found out. He was there, taking all the abuse, giving his all. I'd put him in there. But that's just me. Either way, no need to shit on the guy. I don't think many of us here are nearly as talented as he is. Is he Trent Reznor? Not even close, but I don't think he's trying to be. I don't think he ever was trying to be. I like him.
    That's because he acts like he's a gift that god gave to rock music. As was already mentioned, Hired Gun shows exactly that. NIN didn't made a super hit for years but the point is that NIN was a groundbreaking band on the 90's and still a super respected act and have a strong influence on new generation for both listeners and young people creating a band or solo music. Filter and Richard doesn't have that but Richard still thinks that he made a strong mark on the world and that he SHOULD be praised for that, that's why the animosity.

  27. #1197
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    6,773
    Mentioned
    473 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilGobi View Post
    I don’t know man, after re-watching Hired Gun (because everybody was talking about it above), I think maybe he deserves a lot of the animosity the receives. For some reason he thinks his presence in NIN is somehow different than the “other guys” who play with Filter live. From the sounds of it he treats everyone he works with really badly and equates it to more or less (paraphrasing here) “I’m Filter, you guys are lucky enough to play for me and that should be enough, so I’m going to treat you like shit and pay you nothing”. Honestly I never liked the band so Im not the best person to judge, but that interview really rubbed me the wrong way. I also get the vibe that if Filter ever does actually get inducted, he wouldn't be fighting to have anybody besides him involved, which isn't that far removed from whats happened here with the NIN induction.
    I don't know. He seems friendly enough on Facebook, I guess.

    I just can't with 90s "NIN offshoots," except for some of the radio songs. I've honestly never been compelled to try any of the albums.

    But, hey, didn't Richard Patrick sing along to that one Crystal Method song, called Trip Like I Do? That one is pretty badass. Does that not count as Filter?

    But yeah, I'd have to start seeing SLIGHTLY underground groups like the Breeders and the Lemonheads, who have only had one big radio hit, but have put out a lot of great, influential records records, get in, before we start talking about Filter.
    Last edited by elevenism; 09-21-2020 at 11:45 AM.

  28. #1198
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    3,377
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    But, hey, didn't Richard Patrick sing along to that one Crystal Method song, called Trip Like I Do? That one is pretty badass. Does that not count as Filter?
    It should count because it's a collab song. It's also Filter's 3rd most played live song, right after HMNS and Take a Picture

  29. #1199
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    3,377
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

  30. #1200
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    Posts
    593
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    This is brilliant, glad to see he's doing well.
    Would've been great if they'd intercut the mic stand to the head incident in there though.

Posting Permissions