Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Nine Inch Nails Inducted Into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    voted, currently in 6th place

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Influence is beyond music, didn't the Downward Spiral inspire Fight Club? There seems to be a lot more respect for NIN in the world of films I'd say even before he won an oscar (the machinist also)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I think The Machinist was more blatant. Fincher says somewhere on the Se7en DVD/Blu-ray that he was inspired by the video's aesthetic.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I know that. But without the Oscar (and possibly signing to another major label too), I'm quite sure he'd be snubbed.
    I gotta go with others on this, I don't see how his film scores would even register with the RRHOF. For reference how did that work out for Danny Elfman/Oingo Boingo? The recent "come back" along with HM on major label and large scale world tour would be more helpful as far as recent NIN/TR "promotion".

Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    Pearl Jam sold 1 million copies of Vs its first week and set a billboard record....so I wouldnt call NIN the biggest band in the world in 1994. Soundgarden outsold them as well, even those pukes in Green Day outsold them...Nirvana mania was also going big because of the suicide.....just looked it up and Stone Temple Pilots had a number 1 record for 3 weeks straight and they outsold NIN as well...Aerosmith outsold them as did the fucking Counting Crows..oh and The Offspring outsold NIN as well....maybe NIN was like 12th or 15th biggest?
    Jesus. Definitely one of the biggest bands in the world from 94-95, even by YOUR standards. Speculated to have the largest crowd at Woodstock, despite the likes of Metallica and others that headlined. And sold out or nearly sold out all those TDS era arena shows. Don't think that SG or Nirvana even attempted large scale tours those years (pretty sure AIC wasn't doing arenas either). Not sure what touring was like for PJ or GD, honestly don't give a fuck either, but if someone here knows fill us in if you want.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    the fact there are people clamoring for Trent to get in is idiotic....

It's called us "having fun" with the situation. You should try it once in awhile.

I doubt there's many people on here that'll lose sleep on it one way or another.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I like how bill was telling us for many months that NIN circa Woodstock were on their peak and the most influential band of their time and now does exactly the opposite

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I like how bill was telling us for many months that NIN circa Woodstock were on their peak and the most influential band of their time and now does exactly the opposite
    Could it be that he's ignorant of the facts only when they're detrimental to him? No, perish the thought!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Come on people... fucking Green Day?!?!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post

They were at their peak in the mid 90s, and one of, if not, the best live band on the planet but that doesnt mean they were influential on other bands/genres that broadened the horizons of music. the bands they inspired are dreadful (Manson, Stabbing Westward, Filter, etc)

and if people want NIN in the HOF, then where is Depeche Mode's nomination? After what they have done for electronic music over the past 30 years. There wouldnt BE a NIN if it wasnt for bands like Depeche (and Trent would be the first to admit it)....hell, where is Skinny Puppy's nomination as well????
    Last edited by billpulsipher; 10-09-2014 at 06:36 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Influence is beyond music, didn't the Downward Spiral inspire Fight Club? There seems to be a lot more respect for NIN in the world of films I'd say even before he won an oscar (the machinist also)
    The author of the novel, Chuck Palahniuk, has said he listened to TDS on repeat while writing it.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    They were at their peak in the mid 90s, and one of, if not, the best live band on the planet but that doesnt mean they were influential on other bands/genres that broadened the horizons of music. the bands they inspired are dreadful (Manson, Stabbing Westward, Filter, etc)

and if people want NIN in the HOF, then where is Depeche Mode's nomination? After what they have done for electronic music over the past 30 years. There wouldnt BE a NIN if it wasnt for bands like Depeche (and Trent would be the first to admit it)....hell, where is Skinny Puppy's nomination as well????
    Depeche Mode never released an album anywhere near as good as the downward spiral, NINs influence goes far beyond metal or industrial,. not everyone who is influenced by NIN tried to imitate Trents sound.people across many genres especially electronic music,have acknowledged trent as an inspiration from house music producers to josh wink to photek, to the scissor sisters, to hip hop acts acts like snoop dogg and aaliyah in the 90s, they all raved about trent, madonna wanted to work with trent. Michael Jacksons mid 90s pop sounded slightly industrial that song Scream lol.
    A lot more bands are mixing electronica into their sound nowadays too, NIN is a sucessful influential pioneer of that.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Dudes, it's the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, which makes the Grammies seem downright prestigious. It's a total load of shit, a giant building in Cleveland that's nothing more than a Hard Rock Cafe with worse food.

Look at the origins (LOL, I remember how pissed Detroit was when we didn't get it, fuck Ahmet Ertegun]):

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation was created on April 20, 1983, by Atlantic Records founder and chairman Ahmet Ertegun. He assembled a team that included attorney Suzan Evans, Rolling Stone magazine editor and publisher Jann S. Wenner, attorney Allen Grubman and record executives Seymour Stein, Bob Krasnow and Noreen Woods. The Foundation began inducting artists in 1986, but the Hall of Fame still had no home. The search committee considered several cities, including Memphis (home of Sun Studios and Stax Records), Detroit (home of Motown Records), Cincinnati (home of King Records), New York City, and Cleveland.
    Last edited by allegro; 10-09-2014 at 09:28 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    Depeche Mode never released an album anywhere near as good as the downward spiral, NINs influence goes far beyond metal or industrial,. not everyone who is influenced by NIN tried to imitate Trents sound.people across many genres especially electronic music,have acknowledged trent as an inspiration from house music producers to josh wink to photek, to the scissor sisters, to hip hop acts acts like snoop dogg and aaliyah in the 90s, they all raved about trent,

Listen to an album called Violator...which outsold TDS as well
    I dont care what he said in an interview, do you honestly think snoop dogg has heard more than 1 or 2 NIN songs in his life?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I must have missed the other Hall of Fame thread when i created this one
    I was actually surprised when i could not find one earlier. But i found one now!!

Maybe the mods can kill this one...or just let it die a natural death

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I dont care what he said in an interview, do you honestly think snoop dogg has heard more than 1 or 2 NIN songs in his life?
    So why the hell did you ask?

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    One might argue what huge influence and impact did TR have in the grand scheme of things? Giving the world/and spawning bands like Stabbing Westward and Marilyn Manson and Filter???

And killing it at Woodstock 94 in front of a bunch of drunk jocks and frat boys doesnt make you the biggest band in the world in 1994. They didnt even headline that night....
    Doesn't matter if they headlined, they ended up having the biggest crowd that entire weekend of the year's seminal rock event. [I keep insulting people]. There's plenty of bands from the past two decades that could easily vouch for NIN being heavy influences.

[Yes, I'm going to keep editing your posts whenever you start insulting people. --Levi]

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    FUCK THIS SHIT! It's a fucking sham. I think Trent should make an announcement to rescind his nomination in favor of getting someone or some act that deserves it more. I think it's best if we fans wait for NIN to be inducted. It doesn't have to be next but rather 6-7 years so we can see all of the different line-ups come together but now or next year isn't the time. Besides, why should we vote on some fucking poll by an organization that continuously fucks over every great artist from the past and those who really gave their contributions to music. Hall & Oates were vying for Chubby Checker to be in the Hall of Fame as well as the soul acts from the 70s in Philadelphia. Where are the Delfonics, the Stylistics, the Miracles? There's probably a lot of doo-wop acts that aren't in the Hall of Fame or acts like the MC5 or the New York Dolls who helped shaped the ideas of punk rock that should be in there. Suicide should be in there. This is fucking bullshit!

If NIN is going to be in the Hall of Fame, so should the following: Ministry, Skinny Puppy, Einsturzende Neubauten, Depeche Mode, Gary Numan, Cabaret Voltaire, Coil, Front Line Assembly, Front 242, Throbbing Gristle, and so many others that paved the way for Trent to become who he is now. All this fucking organization wants to do is sell tickets and get ratings for their bullshit as it's run an aging faggot whose once great magazine should've died 20 fucking years ago and some egotistical, out-of-touch, shit-faced rock writer who doesn't know fucking shit about music as he is nothing more than a cocksucker to the fucking Boss.

David Bowie didn't even show up to his own induction because he knew how full of shit it is. Metallica kept asking where are the bands that paved the way for them like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and the numerous bands of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal that more than fucking deserves to be in there than fucking Green Day who has become nothing more than a lame-ass punk-pop bullshit band. It's something that always eaten me up but the fact that those great bands like Deep Purple who alone should've been inducted 20 years ago are still being passed over in favor of bullshit. It pisses me off to no end and I want that fucking place they call a fucking museum to be destroyed. End of rant.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Calls for conjecture - no one on this forum can answer that answer with any level of authority.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Dudes, it's the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, which makes the Grammies seem downright prestigious. It's a total load of shit, a giant building in Cleveland that's nothing more than a Hard Rock Cafe with worse food.

Look at the origins (LOL, I remember how pissed Detroit was when we didn't get it, fuck Ahmet Ertegun]):
    Just because you don't think it's of any value, doesn't mean other artists or spectators think it's nothing to aspire to. I understand where one could get the attitude of "this is just a sideshow and an excuse to sell $300 tickets", but there's still a large majority of people out there who think it's somewhat of an honor. As it stand, it's going to grow and have more prestige as time goes on, so I'd say it's a pretty big deal based purely on hot it continues to play a part in modern music.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Green Day still seem to have a large fanbase of disaffected teens, judging from Tumblr, so they'll probably win this poll outright.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    If NIN doesn't get in, I'm okay with that. But if Green Day gets in, I'll be pissed.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I think they were actually a distant 2nd to SRV last I checked.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Green Day's going to get in, they're the blockbuster act that the hall seems to induct on a yearly basis. NIN is very likely, I'd probably say all the other nominees are on the bubble.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Stevie Ray has the whole dead-too-young angle going for him. Maybe if TR fakes his death for a couple of years he can get in? Have Chris Vrenna do the acceptance speech in 2019 and then... smoke, lazers, booming horns arrive, and down from the ceiling comes Trent -- ALIVE -- holstered in to a series of leather garments. he's doing calisthenics on the way down, and screaming to an ancient god.
    he lands. he pushes vrenna out of the way, walks to the mike... and performs the perfect drug. live. at last. vrenna is on drums and he's keeping up just fine. all is right in the world

until..

manson enters the room.

shocked gasps. silence.

to be continued...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I don't get freaking Green Day..#2 in the voting poll? Wtheck? I just heard a dumb song of theirs and still don't understand why the heck they won the Grammy over TDS. They suck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This whole thing is pointless. Because NIN isn't even rock n roll.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Green.Day.Freaking.Sucks.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Is Green Day rock n' roll though? They should be in the Hall of Lame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Is Green Day rock n' roll though? They should be in the Hall of Lame.
    rock n roll is lame. so they fit.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    Just because you don't think it's of any value, doesn't mean other artists or spectators think it's nothing to aspire to. I understand where one could get the attitude of "this is just a sideshow and an excuse to sell $300 tickets", but there's still a large majority of people out there who think it's somewhat of an honor. As it stand, it's going to grow and have more prestige as time goes on, so I'd say it's a pretty big deal based purely on hot it continues to play a part in modern music.
    You know who's been inducted? The BeeGees. Donovan. James Taylor. Simon and Garfunkel. Because they're so very Rock n Roll.
    Last edited by allegro; 10-09-2014 at 11:23 PM.