Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 450 of 921

Thread: Nine Inch Nails Inducted Into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame

  1. #421
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    4,199
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    [snip] It is all political and we know TR doesn't do politics
    Except to get an Oscar...

  2. #422
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,070
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    I disagree about 80's bands because The Cure and Depeche Mode should at the very least be nominated. Is Bon Jovi or Duran Duran in? Like them or not these two bands have had longevity and lived way past their video darling reputations. How about Def Leppard, Judas Priest or even Motley Crue? I could go on but I think you get the point. There is zero respect for 80's metal and alternative.

    And I do agree about Wenner, it is all political and we know TR doesn't do politics
    You have to be musically active for 25 years to be eligible. The reason less 80s bands are in are many haven't been eligible for long.

  3. #423
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    You have to be musically active for 25 years to be eligible. The reason less 80s bands are in are many haven't been eligible for long.
    NIN is 1989 so every band from the 80's is now eligible.

  4. #424
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Except to get an Oscar...
    I don't remember TR campaigning for an Oscar, it is certainly not his style. Maybe I am remembering wrong?

  5. #425
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,070
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    NIN is 1989 so every band from the 80's is now eligible.
    As of last year. And a small number of artists are shortlisted, let alone win, and there's a huge backlog of artists from the 30s-70s too. So yeah, less 80s will happen, that's simply statistically the most likely thing - in fact, if 80s were evenly represented, THAT would be a sign of bias more than anything. Remember this isn't just about good music, it's about contribution to music, to the rock'n'roll ideals and relevance to the entire musical spectrum and society. Lots of people are due http://www.notinhalloffame.com/rock-and-roll

    Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    I don't remember TR campaigning for an Oscar, it is certainly not his style. Maybe I am remembering wrong?
    You have to send off to win an Oscar, they won't select you if you don't submit for it. So yeah, TRAR had to at the very least fill in a form, and therefore put their hats in the ring.

  6. #426
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,422
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    That's not really campaigning though, just signing up. Sony likely did much more the legwork in that area than they did.

  7. #427
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    10,911
    Mentioned
    787 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    I disagree about 80's bands because The Cure and Depeche Mode should at the very least be nominated.
    Those bands get plenty of respect (and album sales) without "recognition" by a shitty museum version of the Hard Rock Cafe. Just because the moron committee doesn't nominate HUNDREDS of bands and artists that haven't been nominated doesn't mean these artists are not "respected." This isn't the Nobel Prize. It isn't even as good as the Baseball Hall of Fame. It's just cheesy (and pretty arbitrary).

  8. #428
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,422
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    And now that it's on HBO, there's been more of an onus to make it more TV-friendly.

  9. #429
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,422
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

  10. #430
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Smyrna, GA
    Posts
    6,575
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    And so far in the top 5:

    1. Chicago 24.23%
    2. Yes 16.25%
    3. Steve Miller 16.08%
    4. Deep Purple 16.07%
    5. The Cars 15.50%

    NIN is at #14 w/ 0.25 %

    Honestly, if these top 5 votes are the next inductees. I wouldn't be mad at all since I like these acts. Plus, Chicago is just awesome if you play their records backwards.

  11. #431
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,384
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    This article suggests bots have been used in the hall of fame voting and apparently the voting is now checked against IP address. Fans of Chicago are not happy to be accused of being bots!

    http://www.futurerocklegends.com/blo...#disqus_thread

  12. #432
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    853
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Fans of Chicago are not happy to be accused of being bots!
    Then I guess, that would make them (puts on sunglasses) Chica-GoBots.

  13. #433
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,422
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Eddie Trunk became an official voter for the HOF and shared his ballot on Facebook.

  14. #434
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,384
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    People get ridiculously het up about the hall of fame. How many people even go there in a year? If I visited the USA on holiday again, Cleveland isn't exactly top of the list on places to visit

  15. #435
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,422
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    People get ridiculously het up about the hall of fame. How many people even go there in a year? If I visited the USA on holiday again, Cleveland isn't exactly top of the list on places to visit
    It's not really about the building itself that people get worked up over. I guess for me it should be something I don't care about, but when I hear that Yes, a band I have nearly unconditional love for is being considered to get in, I get invested. To just use them as an example, for the longest time since the mid-70's they (and by and large the genre they are mostly responsible for as a whole) were at first whipping boys for the critics, than considered completely uncool by history. Regardless of the fact that they produced good music. And now that popular opinion has swayed back in a positive direction and those nay-sayers are biting their tongues, it feels appropriate (not to mention way overdue, especially after the recent death of a crucial key member) that they should be in.

    There was even a bi-partisan by Washington effort to get the band in.


  16. #436
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,422
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Nominees will be announced tomorrow.

  17. #437
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The online vote means nothing as I recall NIN won last year. How did that work out?

  18. #438
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,422
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Voting closed, and this is how it came out

    Chicago 23.41% (37666987 votes)
    Yes 16.20% (26062489 votes)
    The Cars 16.14% (25973035 votes)
    Deep Purple 15.87% (25540430 votes)
    Steve Miller 15.85% (25507102 votes)
    Janet Jackson 5.88% (9461890 votes)
    Cheap Trick 1.45% (2336606 votes)
    The Spinners 1.28% (2066745 votes)
    Chaka Khan 1.16% (1858917 votes)
    Chic 0.84% (1348330 votes)
    The J.B.'s 0.59% (949883 votes)
    N.W.A 0.42% (673866 votes)
    Nine Inch Nails 0.35% (564007 votes)
    The Smiths 0.30% (490088 votes)
    Los Lobos 0.25% (404768 votes)

    Looking at this and considering how low Green Day came in the poll, I actually think NIN might have a chance now. I'm predicting it'll be Yes or Deep Purple (not both), The Cars and/or Cheap Trick, The Spinners and/or The J.B's and NIN.

  19. #439
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,422
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Class of 2016 announced. No NIN or Yes, so maybe Rick Wakeman and Trent will have an awesome synth-off next year. Other than that, I really can't complain about who's been chosen.

  20. #440
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,384
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Hmm, I went to see a Whitesnake \Def Leppard show last night, so I have no problem with classic rock per se, however except NWA that induction ceremony looks like a bit of a snooze fest

  21. #441
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,422
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Considering there might be bad blood between former and current members of at least Deep Purple and maybe Chicago and Cheap Trick, I wouldn't be so quick to judge it that way.

  22. #442
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,692
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Wouldve liked to see NWA get in a year ago, and not after their very successful biopic. Can't be naive to think that didn't have a big influence.

  23. #443
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    8,723
    Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Hmm, I went to see a Whitesnake \Def Leppard show last night, so I have no problem with classic rock per se, however except NWA that induction ceremony looks like a bit of a snooze fest
    whitesnake & def leppard are classic rock now? (sorry, not trying to give you shit, i just never thought i'd see hair metal bands described that way and it's making me laugh)

  24. #444
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,384
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    whitesnake & def leppard are classic rock now? (sorry, not trying to give you shit, i just never thought i'd see hair metal bands described that way and it's making me laugh)
    I would totally put whitesnake in classic rock territory, not so much def leppard I suppose.

  25. #445
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    10,911
    Mentioned
    787 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I would totally put whitesnake in classic rock territory, not so much def leppard I suppose.
    Who cares, neither of them can lick Deep Purple's boots

    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    whitesnake & def leppard are classic rock now? (sorry, not trying to give you shit, i just never thought i'd see hair metal bands described that way and it's making me laugh)
    Def Leppard was formed in 1977, Whitesnake was formed in 1978 after Coverdale left Deep Purple. The 70s being the prime "classic rock" period, natch.

    FINALLY, DEEP PURPLE.



    And Cheap Trick Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy! I bet Dave Grohl inducts Cheap Trick.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-17-2015 at 12:56 PM.

  26. #446
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,070
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    so maybe Rick Wakeman and Trent will have an awesome synth-off next year
    God can you imagine how good that would be

  27. #447
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Smyrna, GA
    Posts
    6,575
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    I'm just fucking happy that motherfucking DEEP PURPLE is finally in. About fucking time. I'm also happy that Cheap Trick, Steve Miller, and Chicago are in as well. I don't mind the induction for NWA as they are important to the world of music but the reason they're inducted is that they can sell tickets and cash-in on how hot they are from that movie about them. Still, I'm pissed that Yes, King Crimson, and the Moody Blues are still not in. Fuck you Jann Wenner you aging fag.

  28. #448
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    10,911
    Mentioned
    787 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Fuck you Jann Wenner you aging fag.
    I was totally with you up until the derogatory comment about his sexual orientation. Unnecessary.

    We'll try to forget it with some classic Chicago:
    Last edited by allegro; 12-17-2015 at 05:35 PM.

  29. #449
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Smyrna, GA
    Posts
    6,575
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Well excuse me if you're offended as I can't think of something more offensive to say about him. After all, this is the same asshole who likes to suck Mick Jagger's cock every chance he gets as well as eat Bono's ass for breakfast and making sure that people pay thousands of dollars for shitty food they can get for much less. Not to mention that he runs a magazine that should've been dead 20 years ago as it has no relevancy in the world of music and culture no matter what try to shit they do and who they put on the cover of that shit-rag.

  30. #450
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,422
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    A lot of people here find it offensive to use homophobic language in the first place. I admire your passion about this subject and many others here, but going into those areas is where I check out a little.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 12-18-2015 at 12:13 AM.

Posting Permissions