Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Nine Inch Nails Inducted Into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    the Beastie Boys are in it....not exactly rock and roll....the Chili Peppers are in it...what did they get in for, wearing socks on their dicks? R&R HOF is a shit show...Nobody cares...Bowie didnt even show up when he got inducted lol....If Trent does get in though, maybe he can have Alien Jourgensen induct him

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Reasons we should give a shit about the HOF nomination

I know the reaction from many is to simply not care about the RNRHOF, but we should keep in mind a few things that would be great for fans of the band.

1. The live performance at the induction! This would likely be the only NIN performance of 2015 and though they're usually only a couple songs, it will still be interesting to see which tracks are chosen and the lineup.

2. A possible reunion of lineups... Now it's entirely possible that only Trent will be inducted and just perform with the most recent lineup. Even worse, it's possible that he'll simply ignore the event all together and not show up. However Trent may not be the only member inducted. It's very plausible that the Woodstock lineup and maybe a couple other contributors make it in. It could be interesting.

3. Media coverage and sales spike....all bands that get inducted always see a massive increase in exposure and sales. Maybe Trent would even take advantage of that and drop some new music (wishful thinking) in the midst of it.

So while you may not give a fuck about the hall of fame itself (I certainly don't) this still has a possibility of yielding cool results regardless. So get voting!

http://rockhall.com/voting/2015-rock...nees-fan-vote/

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I honestly hope they don't get in so there is no option, it all sounds like an awful self congratulatory wank fest,charging the bands a fortune for tables etc. I thought it was really bad of the rest of Nirvana to attend and make it out to be acceptable, since kurt cobain killed himself probably in some part due to the pressures of fame etc. and everything I've read about him suggests disapproval for that sort of thing. But somehow dave grohl is always attending these things and legitimising them (you wouldn't expect anything less of Courtney love of course)

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I'm confidant NIN will get in. Either this year or next. Fan vote doesn't mean shit. Look at how long it took to get Rush in or any other long overdue band.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    It's probably been mentioned on some US classic rock radio stations or something hence stevie ray Vaughan love

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    It really doesn't take much to change the vote percentage. I just voted like 10 times and got NIN up .04 percent.

All you have to do is just keep clicking the "Place Your Vote" button, x the results and repeat. You don't even have to keep clicking the NIN checkmark.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corona Radiata View Post
    It really doesn't take much to change the vote percentage. I just voted like 10 times and got NIN up .04 percent.

All you have to do is just keep clicking the "Place Your Vote" button, x the results and repeat. You don't even have to keep clicking the NIN checkmark.
    That might be the reason why this internet vote is counting for only one vote out of thousand

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    the Beastie Boys are in it....not exactly rock and roll
    They were a band Pre-License to Ill and during the Check Your Head era among other instances. Not to mention they pioneered the combination of Hip-Hop and Rock along with Run-D.M.C, who should probably be in the RRHOF too.
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 10-10-2014 at 07:21 AM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    That letter in itself should be in the museum at the very least.
    I hope they put Death Grips break up note right next.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    I thought I was the only one who doesn't like Nirvana, never heard anyone else say they didn't like them.
    i used to have chin-length blonde hair and a girlfriend who was OBSESSED with nirvana (her name was courtney...ha), so i constantly got told how much i looked like kurt cobain. i used to really like them, but over the years i've realized how much i don't. the only album i can listen to all the way through is In Utero (which i think is fantastic), but i absolutely do not think that nirvana is anywhere near as incredible as everyone makes them out to be.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    FUCK THIS SHIT! It's a fucking sham. I think Trent should make an announcement to rescind his nomination in favor of getting someone or some act that deserves it more. I think it's best if we fans wait for NIN to be inducted. It doesn't have to be next but rather 6-7 years so we can see all of the different line-ups come together but now or next year isn't the time. Besides, why should we vote on some fucking poll by an organization that continuously fucks over every great artist from the past and those who really gave their contributions to music. Hall & Oates were vying for Chubby Checker to be in the Hall of Fame as well as the soul acts from the 70s in Philadelphia. Where are the Delfonics, the Stylistics, the Miracles? There's probably a lot of doo-wop acts that aren't in the Hall of Fame or acts like the MC5 or the New York Dolls who helped shaped the ideas of punk rock that should be in there. Suicide should be in there. This is fucking bullshit!

If NIN is going to be in the Hall of Fame, so should the following: Ministry, Skinny Puppy, Einsturzende Neubauten, Depeche Mode, Gary Numan, Cabaret Voltaire, Coil, Front Line Assembly, Front 242, Throbbing Gristle, and so many others that paved the way for Trent to become who he is now. All this fucking organization wants to do is sell tickets and get ratings for their bullshit as it's run an aging faggot whose once great magazine should've died 20 fucking years ago and some egotistical, out-of-touch, shit-faced rock writer who doesn't know fucking shit about music as he is nothing more than a cocksucker to the fucking Boss.

David Bowie didn't even show up to his own induction because he knew how full of shit it is. Metallica kept asking where are the bands that paved the way for them like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and the numerous bands of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal that more than fucking deserves to be in there than fucking Green Day who has become nothing more than a lame-ass punk-pop bullshit band. It's something that always eaten me up but the fact that those great bands like Deep Purple who alone should've been inducted 20 years ago are still being passed over in favor of bullshit. It pisses me off to no end and I want that fucking place they call a fucking museum to be destroyed. End of rant.
    There's mixed messages here. Do you take it seriously or not? Because if it's bullshit what does it matter that great bands aren't in there, you're giving it far too much credit by being so upset so-and-so isn't in

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    .the Chili Peppers are in it...what did they get in for, wearing socks on their dicks?
    didn't Anthony Kiedis think he influenced Mike Patton? Faith no more are another band who don't seem to have been nominated, is it too early for them? I saw them in 1991 or around that time, but can't remember when their debut was out

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Faith No More have been around for 25 years but perhaps their break up for years there disqualifies them? I'm not sure. Do they deserve to be there? Absolutely!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just voted, #2 is surprising, I figured Green Day or some shit like that would be higher up.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Akahige View Post
    Just voted, #2 is surprising, I figured Green Day or some shit like that would be higher up.
    Green Day were in fact #1 24h ago - when I voted. It must be pretty close vote.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Green Day were in fact #1 24h ago - when I voted. It must be pretty close vote.
    It seems so arbitrary, the idea that one person could just obsessively vote 100s of times and get someone to number one should surely negate that whole system

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    1. the Beasties were a punk band at times, not a rock n roll band. I think they actually hated and despised the very essence of rock n roll (they used to sample AC/DC as a joke and the no sleep til brooklyn video makes fun of the whole rock scene)

2. faith no more never gets the credit they deserve, no way in a million years they will ever get inducted

3. to the people saying Nirvana arent as great as people make them out to be...oh yes they are......they (Kurt) are a hell of a lot more groundbreaking than Trent's precious Joy Division.....if it wasnt for Kurt, outlets like MTV wouldnt have been as receptive to NIN by 1994...Kurt opened the door for all those other bands..

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^I don't doubt Nirvana's influence, but unfortunately, it was influencing pop punk bands whose tedious presence infects music today. At least the shit bands you say NIN inspired have all fucked off. But we're left with fall out boy, paramore and other nirvana inspired pop punk shit - no thanks. Although I guess its not nirvana's fault
    Last edited by WorzelG; 10-10-2014 at 11:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When you vote and this screen comes up.... just keep hitting the Enter key. Over, and over, and over again. You'll see the % rise.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Although I guess its not nirvana's fault
    It's Green Day's. We can blame Nirvana for other worse bands though.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Some people seem to miss the point regarding Nirvana. Their influence was just as cultural as much as it was musically- seemed like over night people went from wearing black leather jackets and Poison shirts (listening to hard rock/heavy metal) to wearing flannels and what-not (listening to what was known as alternative at the time).

Yes, there were other bands during and before them that played a similar style but Nirvana was the "it" band for a few years- everyone was listening to them, can't say that about someone like The Melvins, etc.. The face of alternative music if you will.

As a kid loving '80's heavy metal (Iron Maiden to Slayer to Metallica, etc) that shit got pretty stale by about 90/91. A lot of bands just couldn't produce great or even good music anymore, and some of them moving into "hair band" territory. It was a swift kick in the ass that "mainstream hard rock" definitely needed and opened doors for many other acts (Like Bill already stated above).

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brokenfern View Post
    When you vote and this screen comes up.... just keep hitting the Enter key. Over, and over, and over again. You'll see the % rise.

Is that recent? Last I checked, NIN was actually way down in the list. Glad to see they're over Green Day, and that SRV is still on top. I don't know how many Stevie Ray fans are here, but I'm genuinely surprised he wasn't inducted earlier. He rejuvenated the blues at a time when the genre needed it, and has influenced countless guitarists.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Yes. It's 16.57% and 15.63% now.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Did anyone vote for Sting? You can PM me if you're too embarrassed to admit so in public.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Did anyone vote for Sting? You can PM me if you're too embarrassed to admit so in public.
    Sting is a Kennedy Center Honors recipient this year, so I didn't vote for this (cough) "Fame." Yes, my undying love for Sting is well-known, for which I am unapologetic.
    Last edited by allegro; 10-10-2014 at 01:08 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I did,I love the Police and I really loved the Ten Summoners Tales album, and an Englishman in NY is a great song.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    It's Green Day's. We can blame Nirvana for other worse bands though.
    Apparently Trent isn't blameless - who knew he was such an inspiration for Good Charlotte??? check out about 1 min in

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Some comments on the articles I have been reading keep wanting Deep Purple in. Do they really deserve it? I know next to nothing about them, only that they wrote an annoying beginner guitarist song.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    Some comments on the articles I have been reading keep wanting Deep Purple in. Do they really deserve it? I know next to nothing about them, only that they wrote an annoying beginner guitarist song.
    I really like Deep Purple In Rock - but Ian Gillan's vocal tour-de-force was an over-looked Black Sabbath album called Born Again - the songs Zero the Hero and Disturbing the Priest are brilliant and just ridiculously over-the-top (have sabbath made it in actually?). Tony Iommi had a story about the making of this song where they were staying in a little village in the UK and having endless noise complaints from the local vicar - so they wrote Disturbing the Priest

Last edited by WorzelG; 10-10-2014 at 01:14 PM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Ian Gillan's vocal tour-de-force was an over-looked Black Sabbath album called Born Again - the songs Zero the Hero and Disturbing the Priest are brilliant and just ridiculously over-the-top (have sabbath made it in actually?)

Maybe I'll check them out.

Sabbath got in '06 according to wiki. With a band that has gone through so many lineup changes over the years, do all the members get in, or just the classic lineup?