Page 35 of 53 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1590

Thread: Nine Inch Nails Inducted Into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    We are not in a worse position, cases are up, deaths are down. If you are waiting to live your life for a vaccine well that is your choice. They did not have to cancel 4 months in advance. One month, maybe even two months but 4 no. I am not going to argue about this. I am pissed, I have every right to be. Not only am I missing NIN but Depeche Mode. It was going to be one of the best events and now not. I don't want to watch it on a stream, I wanted to be there to see my favorite band, NIN and one of my other favorites band, DM get an honor of a lifetime. That is all.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    there’s no way it’s going to be better in 4 months. not at this rate.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Rob Sheridan spoke of being bummed at not attending this, it made me pleased that he had been invited because I’ve been schooled to think, almost, when someone leaves it’s always in acrimony and drama, so I’m glad that isn’t the case
    Clouser was gonna go to per his AMA.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    We are not in a worse position, cases are up, deaths are down.
    We're going way off topic here, but deaths are down because there is typically a 4-6 week lag between initial infection and dying (if that's the course that your disease is going to take). Some deaths can happen quicker or slower, of course, but 4-6 weeks is typical. So, right now, the lower death rate is due to the lower number of new infections during the lockdown/early stages of reopening.

As you can see from the graphs, new cases started surging in mid-June. That means we should be watching for an uptick in deaths by the end of the month. A couple caveats are treatments (remdesivir, dexamethasone) being used now that weren't used several months ago that may reduce the mortality rate, and more younger people being infected who are less likely to die. But just because you don't die, doesn't mean full recovery. They're not even tracking the stats on people who are permanently damaged and disabled, anything short of death.

I am not going to argue about this. I am pissed, I have every right to be.
    You're raging at the storm.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    We are not in a worse position, cases are up, deaths are down. If you are waiting to live your life for a vaccine well that is your choice. They did not have to cancel 4 months in advance. One month, maybe even two months but 4 no. I am not going to argue about this. I am pissed, I have every right to be. Not only am I missing NIN but Depeche Mode. It was going to be one of the best events and now not. I don't want to watch it on a stream, I wanted to be there to see my favorite band, NIN and one of my other favorites band, DM get an honor of a lifetime. That is all.
    You can be pissed off all you want, but considering how many events are being postponed until next year, it's not at all surprising. Unfortunately, your post makes it sound like you're taking this personally, which is absolutely the wrong attitude to take with it.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    I will crush a beer while watching this while facetiming with my brother. I will still be happy to see Depeche Mode and NIN be inducted AT THE SAME TIME.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninlive View Post
    I will crush a beer while watching this while facetiming with my brother. I will still be happy to see Depeche Mode and NIN be inducted AT THE SAME TIME.
    Who’s gonna capture it for the archive?!

*edit*
    Maybe some unused Tension & CBI footage will be featured in lieu of a performance.
    Last edited by FULLMETAL; 07-08-2020 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Just read the PR release

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Just sucks for all the inductees and fans for this particular year. Feels like everyone is kinda getting robbed with it getting downgraded to a prerecorded stream instead of it getting pushed back to next year like everything else is. Just saying, we've all waited 7 years for NIN's induction now. I wouldn't mind waiting for one more year.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeegrizzle View Post
    Just sucks for all the inductees and fans for this particular year. Feels like everyone is kinda getting robbed with it getting downgraded to a prerecorded stream instead of it getting pushed back to next year like everything else is. Just saying, we've all waited 7 years for NIN's induction now. I wouldn't mind waiting for one more year.
    I completely agree. I think they should just have a super-sized version of the event when it's safe so they can include the 2020 inductees and do them justice.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Well, say that to those who lost family members. It sucks your 2020 is blown for music, but I know people who are losing loved ones left right and center to this shit.

Not sorry.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    there’s no way it’s going to be better in 4 months. not at this rate.
    No, it'll unfortunately be worse.
    Fall/Winter is going to ramp this fucker up 10 fold.

I didn't have tickets to the event, but I do feel for @Star 's situation. This was THE year we have all waited for.
    I would have wanted to see a live induction with the band playing etc... Who wouldn't.

Just not the time for it. But what chokes me, is they aren't just postponing it til a safe time, they are out right cancelling and going with a virtual event instead, which I think is utter BS.
    They should have used the 2020 inductees for next year. Meh... That's my opinion. I wanted to see the live presentation, I didn't have physical tickets. But this definitely wasn't going to happen. The virus situation is going to be worse in the fall.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I hope we find out who was going to do the inducting and they record a speech for the broadcast

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    If you are waiting to live your life for a vaccine well that is your choice.
    When you wrote this I was having dinner outdoors with some friends and my partner, with whom I am raising a newborn. We went strawberry picking earlier. I am working two jobs and thinking about putting a down payment on a house. Rational precaution is not 'waiting to live your life' if your life doesn't revolve around a couple of old-ass bands.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    No, it'll unfortunately be worse.
    Fall/Winter is going to ramp this fucker up 10 fold.

I didn't have tickets to the event, but I do feel for @Star's situation. This was THE year we have all waited for.
    I would have wanted to see a live induction with the band playing etc... Who wouldn't.

Just not the time for it. But what chokes me, is they aren't just postponing it til a safe time, they are out right cancelling and going with a virtual event instead, which I think is utter BS.
    They should have used the 2020 inductees for next year. Meh... That's my opinion. I wanted to see the live presentation, I didn't have physical tickets. But this definitely wasn't going to happen. The virus situation is going to be worse in the fall.
    While I agree that it’s sad, the glass half full part of me is thinking along these lines:

- As a massive Depeche Mode fan, we all thought that their next album would likely be their last. Given all this free time to be creative and record, we are likely going to get more!

- As for NIN, I’m sure TR is using this time to look at the world and really create something spectacular that will no doubt tie in somehow to a virtual live performance and this induction. We all know how creative he is. He’ll do something to turn something ugly into something beautiful.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Rational precaution is not 'waiting to live your life' if your life doesn't revolve around a couple of old-ass bands.
    Mr Botley, from one fellow Canadian to another, I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you there.

While I am in agreement with almost all of you on the matter that it is not the time or place to be holding an event like this, Nine Inch Nails is not some "Old ass band" Nine Inch Nails is life.
    I donno about you, but thinking of a world where Trent or NIN cease to exist anymore is frightening and something I am not sure I want part of (I know he's not going to live forever, and I'm not saying I am going to off myself once he does pass, it's just a rhetorical way of thinking).

NIN, Trent, His live concerts are a HUGE part of my life. This man means more to a lot of us then some people will ever imagine. NIN is a HUGE part of a lot of people's lives on this forum. I understand that some people grow up and priorities change, but this man and his music has got me, and probably many, many other people on this forum through some tough times, and probably will get us through some more tough times in the future.

The thing that I look forward to the most in a calendar year is the possibility of seeing my favorite band live. When I am at a NIN concert, all my worries disappear. This man has a magical way of transporting you into another realm for an hour and a half to 2 hours. It's hard to explain, but when I am at a NIN show, I am at home. And there is no better feeling than being at home. You can tell you're with family when you're at a NIN show compared to seeing other bands. The atmosphere is just different. It's comforting.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 07-09-2020 at 03:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    is it still possible for them to do an event for the 2020 inductees when it is considered "safe?" like have a whole weekend or weekends of the 2020 & 2021 class?
    I mean I understand the circumstances and the virtual special is nice to have right now.. but I think they eventually need a proper ceremony.. like c'mon.
    hopefully members and artists persuade them to go that direction

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smashthepumpkin View Post
    is it still possible for them to do an event for the 2020 inductees when it is considered "safe?" like have a whole weekend or weekends of the 2020 & 2021 class?
    I mean I understand the circumstances and the virtual special is nice to have right now.. but I think they eventually need a proper ceremony.. like c'mon.
    hopefully members and artists persuade them to go that direction
    It's not in anybody's interest, to be honest, the RnR Hall of Fame doesn't want to do "last year's" inductees in 2021, there will be a new batch of bands to focus on. And they can't assume that 2021 will be a "safe" year either, we are being extremely hopeful about the vaccine fixing everything, but we just don't know if/when that will happen. I don't mean to be a downer, but the pandemic might not be a 2020 thing.

I had tickets and I'm heartbroken, too, but this is the state of the world right now.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    This really sucks. I think for a lot of fans who were planning on going the thought process was "well, if I can't have concerts this summer and early fall, at least I can have the induction ceremony." And then you get the last leg pulled out from under you and it's depressing.

I know I've done that with all the other shows and activities I had planned on this summer and fall. "Well, at least I still have X show a few months later" only to have the show I pinned my hopes on canceled as well. It's a really discouraging feeling.

Mostly I just feel bad for Trent. What a fucking bummer.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    Who’s gonna capture it for the archive?!
    We can make this happen! Maybe we can entice TR to release some unused footage to the archive?

Either way, it will be cool to see something happen. Even if it is virtual. I just miss looking forward to events and such. Just pretty much living my life day to day. Don't think I don't appreciate my health and everything. But I miss seeing bands and such. It was such a huge part of my life.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    Mostly I just feel bad for Trent. What a fucking bummer.
    I am not a big fan of the this HOF honestly and have always been bothered by the choices made in the past (or not made more specifically), but I am a big fan of Nine Inch Nails and thought it was cool for Trent and everyone involved nonetheless. I know he sort of changed his mind after attending and I think it sucks that this is now sort of diminishing the experience for him. I am curious if this now being a virtual event changes how he views the actual act of being inducted. At the same time it potentially creates an opportunity to do something interesting and breaking the traditional standard ceremony, which is fitting for them.

I also know several people who have not been able to have traditional funerals for loved ones, weddings, had to drastically alter their plans for childbirth, lost their jobs, etc. and that also makes this and other event cancelations sort of seem way less significant than they seemed in the past. I am not saying people shouldn’t be bummed about it. What a rotten year.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Part of me wonders whether this is a bit of a relief for Trent - remember the interview where he said the worst would be if he did get in and had to ‘jam’ and he couldn’t imagine how that would go. I mean he’s not a ‘jamming’ guy

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It's not really a 'jamming' class to begin with. The guys in Depeche Mode and Kraftwerk likely feel the same as he does. The Doobie Brothers are still active and can jam their fingers off, but T. Rex hasn't been a band at all in 40 years.

I've got to say, just from a performance level this is an odd class and I don't know how well it would have come off as a live event. If they had a few heavier bands instead of the Doobies and Whitney Houston it probably would come off better.

But we'll never know now. I did read that they will announce potential nominees for the 2021 class soon, and that the event for that class will not be bumped up to the fall. I am guessing if things continue into the spring they will do the same virtual-type thing for that grouping too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think a lot of people seem to be missing the bit where the RnR people discussed how they were more or less planning two events simultaneously: Live and a HBO special. Seems like it made more sense to put all their focus and money behind the thing that would definitely happen (and probably satisfy their TV contract). Moreover, a lot of the noms have kids or are old, so the likelihood of them agreeing to participate in November seems like wishful thinking. Trent did say, "See you in 2021." There'd be some pretty die hard fanbases attending, who'd still attend against their better judgement (myself included) so part of me feels almost a relief to not have to drive to Cleveland days after the election.

On the bright side, if Trent and Atticus film something new for the HBO special, you know it's going to look and sound kickass, becoming something we all revel in years later. c'est la vie pas la mort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This sucks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is the worst news I've heard regarding NIN in a while. Was so looking forward to this.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I wish Rock Hall would just announce who was going to induct them. It's been driving me nuts ever since they announced the ceremony.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaydraven View Post
    I wish Rock Hall would just announce who was going to induct them. It's been driving me nuts ever since they announced the ceremony.
    SAME. With the new emphasis on the television event, you could almost do multiple people inducting Trent. It wouldn't be hard to grab several people and have them record themselves talking about his music, their relationship to it, their experience watching his career etc. It could actually be REALLY cool.

If that's the route they choose, you could easily include some of the folks who are loose cannons that you can't always rely on during a live show to give a good speech. It's easy to just clean up their recording if they act like goobers, or not include it at all. There are several folks who are very familiar with Trent's career that I would love to see help induct him, but are so much of a gamble that I wouldn't want them giving a speech live. In this particular scenario, that problem kind of goes away.

And just throwing it out there, but I definitely wouldn't mind an induction performance that was just Trent at a piano in a dark room with Atticus vaping in a corner somewhere making pretty atmospheric noise to match. Throw in a teesny bit of background vocals from Mariqueen and bam- could be beautifully gloomy and appropriate given the current state of affairs.
    Last edited by eachpassingphase; 07-13-2020 at 10:59 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    SAME. With the new emphasis on the television event, you could almost do multiple people inducting Trent. It wouldn't be hard to grab several people and have them record themselves talking about his music, their relationship to it, their experience watching his career etc. It could actually be REALLY cool.

If that's the route they choose, you could easily include some of the folks who are loose cannons that you can't always rely on during a live show to give a good speech. It's easy to just clean up their recording if they act like goobers, or not include it at all. There are several folks who are very familiar with Trent's career that I would love to see help induct him, but are so much of a gamble that I wouldn't want them giving a speech live. In this particular scenario, that problem kind of goes away.

And just throwing it out there, but I definitely wouldn't mind an induction performance that was just Trent at a piano in a dark room with Atticus vaping in a corner somewhere making pretty atmospheric noise to match. Throw in a teesny bit of background vocals from Mariqueen and bam- could be beautifully gloomy and appropriate given the current state of affairs.
    Okay, I think Rock Hall should just let you plan this because this would be so cool! I would love it if they included some at home performances from the inductees preferably with the piano and Atticus vaping in the corner as you mentioned. They could even let the inductees record their speech from home and play it during the event.

The virtual show does give them more opportunity to do something interesting and reach out to other people to speak about Trent and I think it would be great. Unfortunately, I think they're going to do the typical package of here's NIN history, wow did you know Trent won an Oscar??? Isn't that neat?? type of stuff. Pretty standard retrospective stuff. I hope I'm wrong, but that's the notion I got from the description. I hope they do something cooler than that.

Also, I appreciate your use of the word "goobers" - made me chuckle!

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    I always pictured NIN announcing a surprise club show the week of the RRHOF induction in Cleveland somewhere like The Phantasy Theatre.. Bringing it full circle. Then I'm there FOB, rolling my Schoeps to tape.

Just in my dreams.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninlive View Post
    I always pictured NIN announcing a surprise club show the week of the RRHOF induction in Cleveland somewhere like The Phantasy Theatre.. Bringing it full circle. Then I'm there FOB, rolling my Schoeps to tape.

Just in my dreams.
    It's precisely the sort of dream I would expect you to have.