Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ebola Thread

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    one more from me:

Dr. Thomas Frieden, CDC director [standing right next to CNN's Sanjay Gupta]: Well actually, Sanjay and I, if one of us had Ebola, the other would not be a contact right now. Because we’re not in contact. Just talking to someone is not a way to get infected. It’s not like the flu, not like the common cold. It requires direct physical contact.

CNN host Michaela Pereira: But if he sneezes on you, it’s a different story.

Sanjay Gupta: I think there’s a utility here because we’re having this conversation but I am within 3 feet of you. Wouldn’t I be considered a higher risk? My understanding reading your guidelines, sir, is that within 3 feet or direct contact — if I were to shake your hand, for example — would both qualify as being contact.

Frieden: We look at each situation individually and we assess it based on how sick the individual is and what the nature of the contact is. And certainly if you’re within 3 feet, that’s a situation we’d want to be concerned about. But in this case, where we haven’t hugged — we haven’t shaken hands — we have not had any contact that would allow either of our body fluids to be in contact with the other person.

Gupta: So, to Michaela’s point, the reason we talk about coughing and sneezing not being a concern — if you were to have coughed on me — you’re saying that would not be of concern?

Frieden: We would look at that situation very closely
    http://twitchy.com/2014/10/01/bombsh...contact-video/

Blood, sweat, feces, vomit, semen and spit. Basically any kind of fluid that comes from the body. People in West Africa are avoiding hugs and handshakes because the virus can be spread through the sweat on someone's hand.

The uninfected person would have to have a break in the skin of their hand that would allow entry of the virus, CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta says. But "we all have minor breaks in our skin. And there is a possibility that some of the virus can be transmitted that way."
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/30/health/how-ebola-spreads/

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    If you want to see insane Ebola coverage, head to infowars. There's an article stating that terrorists are infecting themselves with Ebola in order to attack the US or something like that. I shit you not.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    why you deleting your posts allegro? Those were good!

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    If you want to see insane Ebola coverage, head to infowars. There's an article stating that terrorists are infecting themselves with Ebola in order to attack the US or something like that. I shit you not.
    Sounds like a normal day over there. I like to pop over there every so often just to remind myself that people like that actually exist.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ebola is a decent source for trying to see all coverage on the topic. The community is a bit... twitchy, and that requires you filter the hell out of it.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    why you deleting your posts allegro? Those were good!
    It seemed not as good as yours.

(edit: note that I only removed one link)
    Last edited by allegro; 10-04-2014 at 11:42 AM.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    All I'm hearing is how much Dallas hospital fucked this one up.
    This is what is making me upset over this whole ordeal. I think that this case is handled poorly by several people. First, the Dallas hospital turned him away. Now, it has taken days for hazmat crews to come and clean up the apartment where Thomas Duncan stayed after he was discharged from the hospital.

I believe that the U.S. is not in real threat of contracting Ebola. However, if this singular case is being handled the way it is, then maybe there is a cause of concern for an outbreak here.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    My concern is that the Dallas situation just doesn't scale, and it happened so early in the potential spread. How many infected people can come into the country per week before we are overwhelmed?

Dallas is flying people in to help handle what happened after a single person came over. I think something like 10k people fly out of west Africa every day. What happens when the infected person goes to a less able country? 3rd world countries will be screwed. Then you have large numbers of potential infection sources just like west Africa.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    They need to figure out some strict rules for people flying out of Africa, because I (like many people in this country) certainly don't need another thing to worry about.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    My concern is that the Dallas situation just doesn't scale, and it happened so early in the potential spread. How many infected people can come into the country per week before we are overwhelmed?
    The primary reason why the Great Plague of London spread (until they finally figured out about the rats and fleas): People lied. I suspect this would also be why Ebola would spread. This Dallas idiot also lied. So, we must assume that travelers will lie. Because people don't like to be quarantined. Also, dumb computer glitches and stupid mishandling (washing vomit off the street with a power-washer). Becoming overwhelmed without any serum and only one containment area in Nebraska is a legitimate concern. They're going to have to quarantine all incoming travelers. That's the only 100% safe way to do it. If people don't like that, then don't travel to the risky areas.
    Last edited by allegro; 10-04-2014 at 12:00 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
    They need to figure out some strict rules for people flying out of Africa, because I (like many people in this country) certainly don't need another thing to worry about.
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    They're going to have to quarantine all incoming travelers. That's the only 100% safe way to do it. If people don't like that, then don't travel to the risky areas.
    This seems to be impossible, logistically. Where do you keep this many people for 2-3 days (or possibly 3 weeks to account for incubation period)? Hospitals don't have the capacity. Telling people to stay home doesn't work... the family that was known to be exposed to the Dallas guy refused to stay home and required armed guards to keep them there. You are better off simply cutting off all inbound flights from countries known to have sizable infections.
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 10-05-2014 at 01:27 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Meanwhile, health workers in West Africa are saying "fuck this shit" and bailing out over a lack of pay and insufficient supplies. Because $50(USD) per week is too much for their government to pay... Especially after 120 health care workers have now died from ebola.

Also, wtf is with the US military going to West Africa? How is this their job? Where the fuck is the UN?

Of course, it all comes on the back of the WHO failing. Aid workers ask where was WHO in Ebola outbreak? and How the world’s health organizations failed to stop the Ebola disaster. Once again... we see the facade of the competency of those given responsibility for the safety of the masses.
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 10-05-2014 at 01:21 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Alright, I officially revoke my posts earlier in this thread.

Some Ebola experts worry virus may spread more easily than assumed
    http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...ry.html#page=1

- "We just don't have the data to exclude (other modes of transmission)."
    - "Being dogmatic is, I think, ill-advised, because there are too many unknowns here."
    - "no one has ever done a study [disproving that] coughing or sneezing is a viable means of transmitting,"

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    No big surprise, there. He was treated so late in the game, it was too late by the time he got to the hospital.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Here's a question for everyone here... I don't wanna sound like a paranoid fuck, but I'll probably come across one anyway, and to be frank... I am paranoid about catching this shit...

Would you guys put off all vacation plans to travel overseas from North America while this outbreak is at it's peak, or would you just say "fuck it, life is short... we're all going to catch it anyway, just go on your vacation and have 1 last adventure on somewhere you always wanted to go before we all catch it and die anyway"

Honest opinions please. My girlfriend and I have been in the mist of planning a trip to Australia for this coming February for quite some time now and all we need to do is just book the flights and hotels and we're set... But this disease has really taken off recently...

Just today it was reported that a nurse that just got back from Sierra Leone to Queensland has a fever and is being heavily monitored under a care facility for signs:

http://www.news.com.au/national/quee...-1227085900683

A 58 year old British man just died from it as well:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...thousands.html

Also hit Germany and Turkey as a Spanish Nurse went UN-quarantined for a week:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-1...e-went-un-quar

This doesn't seem to be getting any better... would you guys put off travel plans until this blows over, or what? In other words, would all of you feel safe traveling outside your city/country under these conditions?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 11:31 AM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    This doesn't seem to be getting any better... would you guys put off travel plans until this blows over, or what? In other words, would all of you feel safe traveling outside your city/country under these conditions?
    Go make your plans. You're more likely to die in a car wreck than any of this...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The only reason you should cancel your travel plans right now is if you were headed to West Africa. At this point you're more likely to die from a spider bite in Australia than ebola. All of the CONFIRMED cases around the world thus far have been people who spent extended time inside the hot zone in Sierra Leone or nearby.

Although the CDC says it's not airborne my concern is with cold and flu season right around the corner here in the U.S. that this strain of Ebola attaches itself to a flu strain and then suddenly becomes airborne.
    That's not a real thing. Viruses don't partner up with other viruses to form super Voltron viruses. That's why no one has ever worried that HIV would turn airborne. They can sometimes mutate into new forms that transmit differently which is a concern with things like bird flu. But to do that, they have to be genetically close to an airborne virus to start with. As far as we know, ebola isn't that close to making any dramatic changes.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    With all due respect, I think we've all see too many Hollywood movies (ie. Rise of Planet of the Apes, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, 28 Days Later, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Outbreak, etc.) and are taking this issue way out of proportion*

Take your trip, like someone else said, you're more likely to die from a spider bite or better yet, a snake bite (what a way to go out!) in Australia.

*Not trying to disrespect the people that have died in West Africa, Europe and North America.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Honestly, when I just read an article about the damage Ebola has done to the tourism industry in Africa I thought to myself "I wonder if it just got a lot cheaper to visit South Africa." Because I bet South Africa is friggin' awesome, and I want to go... but it's expensive. This line of thinking may seem insensitive, given the serious nature of what's happening out there - but my thoughts are as long as you're not traveling to western Africa you shouldn't dive off the panic plank, and if you do travel just be sensible about things.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Reading the local Dallas suburb paper's sound off column asking folks if they thought public Heath officials are doing enough to stop the spread. Most were positive, yes, we're doing what we can. A few comments made me gaffaw: "the same cannot be said of the federal government. There should be a temporary ban from entering the United States on people holding passports from the West African countries most affected." And " quarantine the whole country where Ebola is found."

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    Although the CDC says it's not airborne my concern is with cold and flu season right around the corner here in the U.S. that this strain of Ebola attaches itself to a flu strain and then suddenly becomes airborne.
    The CDC's words are way more political than they are scientific. Just keep that in mind when evaluating things. As for the Flu... My concern is that everyone with the flu is going to worry that they have Ebola. Hospitals don't seem to have a quick way to distinguish Ebola from anything else that creates the incredibly common symptoms. Also, you'll have people who may get Ebola and write it off as seasonal flu until things get much worse.

Pretty sure I'm gonna get my flu shot this year...

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    For anyone currently worried about your risk, check out the 3 part video that VICE News just did about Ebola. Also, the segment they did back in June. (Would love if someone could post the YouTube links here for me).
    You'll see how unserious the public was a few months ago and see how poor their medical infrastructure is to handle things currently. It's hard to really understand how different things are without seeing it.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Alright folks, thanks for the responses. We'll just finalize our travel plans and go. I mean, there are non-stop daily flights between Sydney, AUS and Vancouver, CAN carrying 100's of people each day that don't seem to have an issue with this. I mean, if it's going to come here, it's going to come here and there's nothing we can do about it other than fight for our lives to survive or die trying. I don't wanna look back with regrets and say "Damn, I wish I took that trip..." Might as well live in the NOW and worry about the future when it comes knocking on your door.

There are 7 billion people in the world and so far maybe less than 15 confirmed cases outside of West Africa, and as most people said, those are from people that visited the infected areas directly. Those are pretty decent statistics. As long as the people that return to their native country's check into treatment facilities upon returning and not like riding the public transit system around shopping for their groceries, they should get a handle of this outside of West Africa.

But people who visit there really need to take more precautions and not just carry on with their day to day activities even if they do not show sign of symptoms. There should be a mandatory 3 week quarantine process for those people to heavily monitor under health supervision so they don't spread it around in the event they do develop symptoms.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The people who freak me out are the ones online blaming Obama for this. Like, wtf.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    The people who freak me out are the ones online blaming Obama for this. Like, wtf.
    What are their justifications? I've seen the ones saying that Ebola is intentionally being allowed to spread a bit so that more people will sign up for care under the ACA.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    What are their justifications? I've seen the ones saying that Ebola is intentionally being allowed to spread a bit so that more people will sign up for care under the ACA.
    Oops, sorry, didn't mean to hit "like." There is no "justification," these are just right-wing nutjob friends of my husband's cousin in Texas. Evidently, they think that Obama should've personally made sure the Liberian gov't didn't let him out of the country, even though the guy lied.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    obamabola.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Rush said that Obama was letting Ebola into the States for payback for slavery. So... there's that.