Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Pointless live speculation

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure none of past NIN live members will be there just for the sake of distinguishing two bands and not giving people false expectations of hearing NIN songs performed by HDTA.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhat_ View Post
    Now that a tour is imminent, let's do some more speculating. My guesses:

The tour will start sometime in the next 3 to 6 months

It will last about a month hitting about 20 U.S. cities; If all goes well musically, financially, and family wise additional touring will be considered (U.S. only)

The live band will consist of a 4th and possibly 5th member to play drums (Josh Freese? Illan Rubin?) and/or bass/syth (JMJ?)

They will play tracks from Ghosts I-IV, The Social Network, and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo; they won't play any additional NIN tracks

The setlist will not change much from night to night

What does everyone else think?
    Tour will probably be bigger than just 20 cities, they might hit a few states more than once. I doubt they'll have a live drummer though, unless the LP has a totally new direction - a drum machine can handle all of that, or a decent synth player.
    I hope the live shows will have some kind of projection for visuals, nothing on the scale of LITS, but Rob is so fucking good at that shit.

As for anything by NIN, I really doubt it, even Ghosts. Although I'll pay to fly over there if they play La Mer with vocals, or Illum Tangendo

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I think if they were to play any live NIN (which they won't, of course), it'd only be stuff that Mariqueen can sing, like, as sheepdean said, La Mer with vocals or A Warm Place (illum tangendo), maybe some instrumental stuff. But Trent seems really adamant about distinguishing the two, so I doubt we'll hear any NIN from them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As much as I LOVE NIN live, I am really excited to see TR doing something comepletely different.
    Sonically I am hoping that they took a daring leap into something else entirely.
    I cant wait for it to go off.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Again, I hope somewhere fall/spring (next year). Gives me some time to arrange a trip (because of family and work).
    I guess it'll be a small club tour in big US cities.

Speculation.
    Maybe a double program tour: HTDA + ........ (just like he did with nin/ja)
    Maybe easier to arrange a tour and promote this new band
    Just a thought.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nine_inch_nerd View Post
    Speculation.
    Maybe a double program tour: HTDA + ........ (just like he did with nin/ja)
    Maybe easier to arrange a tour and promote this new band
    Just a thought.
    Yeah, it could be - HTD-A-CDC!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    The fact that HTDA is not on the lineup for Moogfest or Voodoo fest makes me believe they won't be touring this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    in october THE BUG (who tweeted this: https://twitter.com/thebugzoo/status...46732626132994) plays at a festival in the city i live in. he also curates a night. maybe he invites HTDA? at least i will be able to talk to him maybe

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I've been tracking Bug's interviews for ages, he hasn't mentioned them ONCE . He's probably been asked not to, but still

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    The album seems far away, and there's been no news regarding it in a while. Therefore, the album thread was locked.

Whenever touring happens, it will be after the album. By the same logic, this thread can also be locked.

Personally, I wouldn't lock any of them. Speculating/whining is what the fans have got right now.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    The album seems far away, and there's been no news regarding it in a while. Therefore, the album thread was locked.

Whenever touring happens, it will be after the album. By the same logic, this thread can also be locked.

Personally, I wouldn't lock any of them. Speculating/whining is what the fans have got right now.
    This is "pointless live speculation" - it exists solely because we have no idea if/when/where they will ever tour

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    At this point maybe we need a "pointless album speculation" thread. . .

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I will get this thread going again. I'm betting on an early Spring LP release and a U.S. tour starting with Coachella.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I bet they'll do a few live shows around LA in the Fall/Winter around the release of this EP to test the waters first.
    I honestly can't see a full fledged 30-40 city tour for this project. I can see maybe him doing a mini west coast and mini east coast tour maybe less than 10 shows, but that's about it.

They'll probably do some spring/summer festivals though, that's always a good starting point for new bands to get their music out to as many people as possible, so I agree they'll probably make an appearance at Cochella and probably Lollapalooza if there is one.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I predict it being incredibly difficult to get tickets. I would love to catch a flight over to America to see 'em - god knows how long it will be before they come over to Europe.

I sense really exciting times ahead, but so many questions right now and.......yeah, so few answers!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    yay! this thread became a little less pointless after trent's announcement yesterday.
    i don't foresee tickets becoming too difficult to come across mutilated. most mainstream nin fans are probably not aware of htda or are not interested in htda sound. this will certainly not be an arena tour and actually, im looking forward to this being more of an intimate venue type of tour.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    This may be my dumbest post yet. I'd freak out if they rebuilt this rig for each member to stand on (HTDA instead of Reznor text) during live performance, now that the TR connection is confirmed. I laughed too hard at the idea just now

Last edited by blassster; 09-22-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutilated View Post
    I would love to catch a flight over to America to see 'em - god knows how long it will be before they come over to Europe.
    Same. Wish I was a fully grown adult with proper income instead of an impoverished student at times like these!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Based on Rob's comment on twitter ("We're viewing this as more of a collective than a band. I'm primarily visuals but it'll make more sense live."), I think you guys might be surprised by how much of the U.S. this tour will cover and they might even tour Europe. I don't think they are coming up with a huge visual concept just so they can play a couple of shows around LA. And lets face it, touring is still a great way for artists to bring in cash. Also, I'm not sure TR was as tired of touring in general as he was tired of playing NIN songs; playing HTDA in a different format might be very exciting to him and the rest of the crew. Plenty of artists figure out ways to tour for half a year when they have kids so I don't see that being an issue like mosts do.

At most, I think they will do two U.S legs and one European leg. At the least, I think they will do one full U.S. leg.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Is 3 members enough for a live show? I'd say no, respectfully. Will they use live percussion or will it all be programmed? MQ & TR can handle vocals & synth simultaneously.

I can't imagine how some songs would be played live with only 3 members. I.E. who the hell will play the bass guitar & perc for Fur Lined?

Fur Lined

Outro = Guitar, Bass, Percussion, Synth #1, Synth #2, Vocals

A Drowning

Outro = Guitar, (Bass? Arp?), Percussion, Piano, Synth, Vocals,

Parasite

Outro = Bass, Guitar, Synth #1, Synth #2(?), Vocals TR/MQ, Percussion

The Believers

Percussion, Xylophone, A Stringed instrument (?), Synth, Sound effects/mod, Vocals MQ/TR etc...

In a way, I hope they avoid analog (live) percussion; maybe an electronic kit. But who would be designated drummer?

Either way, for a more live feeling I hope there is a lot of hands on instruments & less programming I hope they pull in a 4th body. Give Rob a shot!

Did I mention that I can play bass, double bass, guitar, piano & synths? I'm good with programming too And plz consider Toronto.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Mariqueen can play guitar/synth and of course, lead vocals
    Trent is most likely on lead synth/piano duty, backing vocals and sometimes guitar
    Atticus is a bassist and probably drum machine, what with his long history in that area
    Rob is iPhone5

3 band members is probably not that hard, but if they do bring in another person, it'll be like NIN and they won't be a band member, just someone needed for the live experience.

Unrelated: They should get Claudia Sarne in for a live duet, so it's a) a fully family band and b) two fucking awesome female vocalists.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't think they will necessarily wait till the LP is out before touring, but I think they will at least wait till the album is announced and a single of sorts is released.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I hope they don't tour with a drum machine, that'd be pretty lame in my opinion. Just get Josh Freese. He's practically a member of every band in existence anyway.

Also, I have a feeling that in the future, probably 10 years down the line, Trent will probably say "Fuck it" and mash both NIN tours and HTDA tours together.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    Also, I have a feeling that in the future, probably 10 years down the line, Trent will probably say "Fuck it" and mash both NIN tours and HTDA tours together.
    God I hope not

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    God I hope not
    I'm not really saying mash the bands literally together, but maybe have HTDA open, and NIN close, and maybe alternate between nights.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    So you're saying at approaching 50 he would want to be in both the opening and headlining band? Madness, he'd be knackered

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I know what you're saying, but you're going to end up with an exhausted Trent for one of the sets, and probably 90% of the ticket sales going to people who only like or know NIN, probably leaving for HTDA's set (Dissonance tour anyone?). Just, no.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I know what you're saying, but you're going to end up with an exhausted Trent for one of the sets, and probably 90% of the ticket sales going to people who only like or know NIN, probably leaving for HTDA's set (Dissonance tour anyone?). Just, no.
    10 years in the future is quite a long time for HTDA to become more well known. Also, I think Trent was to do it that way, he'd simply make it the length of a regular NIN show, but split the difference between the two. I'm only thinking it because I think Trent would find it easier to kill two birds with one stone, rather than dedicating a lot of his time touring two bands separately.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    So, Mariqueen and Atticus are meant to tag along to play 45 minute sets? No, that is a bad idea for all involved, HTDA should tour, and, if NIN tours again, NIN can do that in HTDA downtime - during recording etc.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    If HTDA really takes off I highly doubt that NIN will tour more than once every five or ten years afterward. Trent's pushing 50, he's in great shape still but there's no need for him to tour two bands separately, and it seems increasingly clear to me that HTDA is his main thing, with NIN being at the back of his mind.

I missed out on seeing NIN tour, but at this point, I'd rather see HTDA. Maybe further on down the line, if/when HTDA becomes really well-known, Trent could slip one or two NIN songs in, most likely instrumentals. But I'd be totally satisfied if he didn't.