Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Happy Birthday to The Fragile

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I don't think I knew NIN when it was released. My first real memory was Into The Void video. Ashamed to say I didn't care for it. Years later, AATCHB was released and I was about to seek it out to see what this band was, but realized it was "just a live compilation". It wasn't a year later in college where a friend of mine lend me Downward Spiral and The Fragile. It was half good. I had a hard time appreciating NIN. But it grew on me. They felt "important". I was listening to Deftones, Korn, Linkin Park and Tool, and NIN somehow felt like it had to be part of my library. So I eventually bought a used copy of The Fragile. Maybe in 2004. That's when all the news started coming in about Bleedthrough. What a year. Bought the reissue of Downward Spiral, and AATCHB dvd. I was now a fan.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    In celebration of The Fragile I combined all the "new" Deviations tracks, exclusive Vinyl tracks, cassete tracks into one album for me, I know this has been done before by many people but I've never listened to The Fragile like this, it's a crazy long-ass experience but totally worth it.

I actually never heard Appendage, man, it kicks ass, Please already was an amazing song, but this being a part of it?(or following it). Just puts it on another level entirely. It was also just in general hearing new tracks I've yet to hear before, I didn't get into new Deviations tracks as I was too distracted by NTAE to pay attention to it.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    In celebration of The Fragile I combined all the "new" Deviations tracks, exclusive Vinyl tracks, cassete tracks into one album for me, I know this has been done before by many people but I've never listened to The Fragile like this, it's a crazy long-ass experience but totally worth it.

I actually never heard Appendage, man, it kicks ass, Please already was an amazing song, but this being a part of it?(or following it). Just puts it on another level entirely. It was also just in general hearing new tracks I've yet to hear before, I didn't get into new Deviations tracks as I was too distracted by NTAE to pay attention to it.
    Did you listen to the cassette version of Appendage with vocals? Or the instrumental version of it?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Did you listen to the cassette version of Appendage with vocals? Or the instrumental version of it?
    The one with the vocals, the vocals on it are incredibly well done, it instantly stood out to me, really dirty

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    The one with the vocals, the vocals on it are incredibly well done, it instantly stood out to me, really dirty
    The Deviations version is better. It's fucking monstrous, and I love it. Yes, I would prefer it with vocals, but the music mix is so much better than the cassette version. If we ever get a Definitive Fragile, I hope we get the Deviations version + vocals.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I found this video today and I didn't know where to put it so here we go, They changed the audio and the video and sounds and looks amazing

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AThousandDaysBefore View Post

I found this video today and I didn't know where to put it so here we go, They changed the audio and the video and sounds and looks amazing
    Wow.

Where did those two brief clips of Trent playing parts of The Wretched and The Great Below on the piano originate from? Haven’t seen those before.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Wow.

Where did those two brief clips of Trent playing parts of The Wretched and The Great Below on the piano originate from? Haven’t seen those before.
    They look very still-ish. I love the edits from live to that. So good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Wow.

MTV 2.

It was a promo for TF, had a live performace and those segments FROM WHAT I REMEMBER. Cloudy memory. I watched it with my neighbor on his satellite. MTV etc was taken off local cable in St. Louis for a long time.
    Last edited by laststepdown; 01-09-2020 at 08:49 PM.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laststepdown View Post
    MTV 2.

It was a promo for TF, had a live performace and those segments FROM WHAT I REMEMBER. Cloudy memory. I watched it with my neighbor on his satellite. MTV etc was taken off local cable in St. Louis for a long time.
    Were there any other fragments apart from those two? If so we need a compilation of all of that!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Were there any other fragments apart from those two? If so we need a compilation of all of that!

https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/812...Out_2000_-_MP4

This might be it. The internet was trash back then. NIN fans got random pixelated squares for a website. So we grasped at stuff like this.

"NIN WILL BE ON MTV YOU GOTTA COME OVER"

We were so hyped because when a band calls a release "Closure" you don't think the band will exist anymore after that. Rumors were around of NIN being done with. So the fact that Trent didn't die, and we were given the The Fragile along with the rest of the later catalog, are both quite the gift. Life is short. So I clear my plans and go over to my friends's house to watch Fragility 1.0 before I buy the shirt that says "where the fuck were you?" on the Fragility 2.0 tour (EU was 1.0, NA 2.0 from what I remember) and wear it to high school and don't even get in trouble because my hair was so long it covered up the word "fuck" completely.

Still have the shirt. Holes in both sleeves. Can't throw it out. The rerelease of it has "St. Louis MO" on the back of the shirt, which is incorrect. The show for Fragility 2.0 was in Maryland Heights. Which is what my shirt says on the back.
    Last edited by laststepdown; 01-10-2020 at 05:00 AM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Just saw this article: https://loudwire.com/nine-inch-nails...ZxTh_PrJ761hkw pop up on facebook celebrating The Fragile's 21st anniversary and realized that we forgot to bump this thread with a Happy Birthday!

The Fragile is officially legal to drink in the USA now!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Definitely one of my favorite albums, with all the singles and remixes... :-)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm always afraid of old favorite albums not aging well. Glad it hasn't for TF so far. Not having been into nin until post-TDS, I got caught in the wave leading up to TF's release and everything around it. Nothing studios in NOLA, TR possibly calling it quits, being 13 and in awe of clips from Fragility tour 1.0, devouring everything MTV aired at the time.

It meant everything seeing lots of Fragile material during the last tour with my SO, especially AATCHB for the first time <3

Here ya go
    Last edited by Miss.Selfdestruct; 09-23-2020 at 01:58 AM.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss.Selfdestruct View Post
    I'm always afraid of old favorite albums not aging well. Glad it hasn't for TF so far. Not having been into nin until post-TDS, I got caught in the wave leading up to TF's release and everything around it. Nothing studios in NOLA, TR possibly calling it quits, being 13 and in awe of clips from Fragility tour 1.0, devouring everything MTV aired at the time.

It meant everything seeing lots of Fragile material during the last tour with my SO, especially AATCHB for the first time <3

Here ya go
    Yes, I’m aware of those. I was referring to the small segments of The Great Below and The Wretched being played at the piano.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Yes, I’m aware of those. I was referring to the small segments of The Great Below and The Wretched being played at the piano.
    Nothing more than those short snippets shown in the Fragility 1.0 special. Maybe you could ask Rob about them. He probably filmed them.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I always wondered what took them so long to start the tour with this album? Especially in North America, 7 months after the release!

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I always wondered what took them so long to start the tour with this album? Especially in North America, 7 months after the release!
    I seem to recall Trent saying in an interview that Interscope didn't have a lot of faith in touring after sales for The Fragile fell off quickly.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quite possibly my favorite record of all time. Definitely on the short list & definitely my favorite NIN record. I think the only song I'm not super wild about is Starfuckers Inc & even that one is ok. Somehow just feels a little out of place to me in regards to the whole album.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    What if I told myself, upon creating this thread in 2014, that a deluxe edition of The Fragile still wouldn’t be released by September 21, 2020?

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Hmmm, I wonder what TR did in those 7 months? Maybe prepped for Things Falling Apart and music videos?

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Hmmm, I wonder what TR did in those 7 months? Maybe prepped for Things Falling Apart and music videos?
    Drugs?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    7 months? He toured Europe and was in Japan in the New Year. I saw them in December 1999 which is only a few months after release. I guess it probably took a while to come up with the Bill Viola visuals for the North American tour.

EDIT I actually saw them right at the end of November checking Ninlive, so toured through November in Europe, only 2 months after release. Then January till Feb in Aus/NZ/Japan, then US in April and a whole load of festivals in the summer of 2000. Where does this 7 months figure come from?
    Last edited by WorzelG; 10-06-2020 at 02:35 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Where does this 7 months figure come from?
    This was purely in relation to North American tour. While many bands actually start touring in advance, sometimes even months ahead of the record (see also: With Teeth tour).

21 September 1999 -> 12 April 2000
    6 months and 22 days

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Happy birthday you sexy fucker! (Posted the same thing in the Stephen King thread).

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Jamming the shit out of this album today!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    patiently waiting for the Spatial Audio page to update with a copy of this. Come on guys, it would be the easiest thing to take the 5.1 stems you already have and move them. I mean you already did it with The Social Network surprise release so go for it.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    22 years. Fuck. All time fav album. Not even close.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    patiently waiting for the Spatial Audio page to update with a copy of this. Come on guys, it would be the easiest thing to take the 5.1 stems you already have and move them. I mean you already did it with The Social Network surprise release so go for it.
    My sentiments echoed. I was hoping with today’s anniversary and the show cancelations this would be a cool thing to focus on, but wishful thinking on my part, I guess.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    By far my favourite piece of art from those I've tasted in my life as of this moment [or anywhere in the past 11 years]. I must admit I caught myself thinking about my obsession for this record lately. 22 was also the age I was when I finally saw NIN for the first time.

I mention piece of art because I'm not only fascinated by the music, but the whole aesthetics from that era. All the promos, artworks, every single media bit, everything. And I often found this to be somehow funny, considering I absolutely despited it when I first heard it. "double album?", "lots of instrumentals? wtf is this?". Took me a few days to understand what was going on and the reward is the chill that I still feel listening to Where is Everybody? to this day.