Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Genesis

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Genesis

I've been on a huge kick of their early material lately. Especially the work from 1970's Trespass to '77's Wind & Wuthering, probably some of the best prog rock ever written and recorded. I read two reminders of just how potent that stuff in particular is, one being Tom Junod's contribution to this book which was a deep perspective from a 70's Genesis/Gabriel fan's point of view. Also, as of today there was the release of the "I Know What I Like" app developed by photographer Armando Gallo, who's 1979 book chronicled the first decade of the band. Now it's a fully interactive app with bells and whistles, and a much deeper look at the band during that time-frame.

Seeing as there is a healthy Prog thread here I won't harp on that material too much, as I'm just a fan of their more poppy era too. In November, Eagle Rock will release Three Sides Live on Blu-ray and DVD. Also later that month, comes the release on those formats of Sum Of The Parts, a documentary tracing the band's entire history and various solo careers as well.

Finally, I found this and while it's sad for obvious reasons, I thought it good enough to share here for more obvious reasons too.

Last edited by onthewall2983; 04-20-2020 at 05:31 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Telegraph interview with the band and Esquire interview with Mike Rutherford, which features a clip of Sum Of The Parts which will air on Showtime next Friday, and premiere on BBC Saturday under it's other title Together And Apart.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    While I never got head over heels into Genesis, I picked up The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway after hearing Jeff Buckley's take on Back In NYC, and it's an album I can consistently listen to every few months. Just enough poppy songwriting mixed with sprawling prog passages.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Oh shit, I'm going to catch that doc. I love Genesis. Mostly the Peter Gabriel period with some love for the Phil Collins pop era.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Steve Hackett not happy with the doc, as it ignored his solo career. He's right to complain, because as he said it's not true to the spirit of the documentary. But it's also 90 minutes and I can see how such limited time meant cuts like that would have to be made.

That said he's a hell of a player and arranger, singer/songwriter as much as anyone else in that classic lineup were or went on to be.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 02-11-2019 at 05:12 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    20 insanely great songs only fans know. Nice write-up and collection from Rolling Stone.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks for the posts @onthewall2983

Gabriel era genesis is my favorite classic rock band, ahead of LZ, PF, the beatles, etc......
    Suppers Ready being my fav song and The lamb being my fav full album. Take away a few of the segues and the lamb is perfect. Wish there was a little more Hackett guitar work but thats my only gripe, along with a few of the segues. Every song on that album speaks to me on so many different levels. Love this shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure if there is a Peter Gabriel thread... but in case you guys missed it, there's a new track out for Oliver Stones "Snowden" movie. Google "The Veil," official video available. Very old-school 80s like Gabriel; sort of a modern "Biko"-vibe. Lyrics are catchy and very, very moody.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    For those who may not know, Wilson sang on Genesis' final album Calling All Stations. This is from his latest solo album.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Phil has been making the rounds again, promoting his autobiography. He performed on Fallon with The Roots, and his long-time keyboard player Brad Cole and even longer-time guitar player Daryl Stuermer.

Must have been an honor for Questlove, but not seeing Phil do the drum break himself is a little sad.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I think he announced he's touring big venues next summer so his kids can see their dad do music live before he's too old.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    His voice is in a lot better shape than I thought it would be.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Recently came across this version he did of a great song from his first album, Face Value.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Probably my single favorite performance of the Banks/Collins/Rutherford line-up.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tony, Mike and Phil will reunite for a 10-date tour in England, Ireland and Scotland this fall. Daryl Steurmer will return and Phil's son Nic will play drums.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Tony, Mike and Phil will reunite for a 10-date tour in England, Ireland and Scotland this fall. Daryl Steurmer will return and Phil's son Nic will play drums.
    Damn no us love?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Judging by how those shows go I could see them doing a similar jaunt next summer.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Digging some deep Mike + The Mechanics cuts

Kind of surprised Tony and Mike never thought of Paul Young to replace Phil in the mid-90's

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Oh man, Dana Tyler must be laughing at him now

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Genesis fans, I need some help.

I really dig the dark sounding tracks from the Phil Collins era but I really find the poppy side unlistenable. The pop seems to far outweigh the more atmospheric tracks so I've never really done a deep dive on the discography. It's similar to how I feel about Phil Collins' solo work. In the Air Tonight is great and most everything else sounds like shit to me (think sussudio). So it makes me wonder if I'm missing some hidden gems?

I'm a bit more familiar with Peter Gabriel and I tend to like his stuff more but feel free to suggest any of his contributions as well. And here's an example of a Genesis track I think has a great sound...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Phil Collins turns 70 today. He joined Genesis at 19 years old.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I wish more people enjoyed early prog to admire how fantastic he was as a drummer, really top-notch.