Page 1 of 52 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Kanye West

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Kanye West

Fuck this pile of garbage!
    Last edited by october_midnight; 12-01-2022 at 11:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Meh, I would have to disagree. Kanye is ok, but the best song really???

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    pretty damn good show, for a hip hop show of course. they are up there for over 2 hours, just the two of them, playing hit after hit after hit. some interesting visuals too. not worth the disgusting ticket price (i luckily didnt pay), but a solid show. hope u like Watch The Throne (i think it's mostly shit), cuz you get alot of it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    They were in Houston last night, but I'm broke and I heard the show was nuts. I saw Yeezy do his thing in September and he killed it. The show was ridiculous and over the top and very pretentious, but it was fun and you could tell he was having a hell of a time. I like Watch the Throne though, not as good as MBDTF, but WAY better than Blueprint 3.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    yeha it was 2.5 hrs when i saw them at MSG.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I really got into this guy in 2009. 808's is fantastic and every album he's done has been solid. He's a good rapper and one of my favorites but ever since My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy he's become even more of a prick. The fact he's dating that moron Kim Kardashian now makes him even more of a dumbass than he ever was before if you ask me.

Remember this hilarity?:

I love Mike Myers reaction.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I think Kanye is a great artist - sure, he's a total douchebag, but I assume most musicians are douchebags; Kanye just gets more media attention than most, enabling him to show off his douchebaggery.

I liken most of his latest albums to Michael Bay films. They're big-budget, in-your-face, summer blockbusters, with levels of grandiose that other artists, like Lady Gaga, wish they could pull off. Also, unlike most other rap artists, he can make consistently great albums. His peers seem happy with making a couple radio-friendly singles every other year, and use any flavor-of-the-week producer they can find to get a hit. Kanye's albums actually have a sonic vision with minimal filler, though.
    Last edited by Presideo; 12-30-2012 at 10:33 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I really got into this guy in 2009. 808's is fantastic and every album he's done has been solid. He's a good rapper and one of my favorites but ever since My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy he's become even more of a prick. The fact he's dating that moron Kim Kardashian now makes him even more of a dumbass than he ever was before if you ask me.

Remember this hilarity?:

I love Mike Myers reaction.

This reminded me when I was with my friend Steven (who is black), we were watching when this hit. He just says in a low tone of voice, " No one is never going to take a black man serious ever again."

We were both high of our asses.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Started listening to 808's and Fantasy again the past couple of days. Kanye West, aside from being my favorite rapper, is also one of my top ten artists of all time. I got into a discussion with a friend of mine about my opinion on Mr. West and how it differs from people who are not in his camp as much as perhaps I am. That some people either find him an incredible dumbass or others find him this amazing, creative almost evil genius. I like West's personality and I think the things he does just adds more to his image, it may not be for everyone but hey...such is his life I suppose.

Sometimes I go back and forth about which is my favorite Kanye record, I love 808s so much because of how experimental of a record for him it is. A lot of people gave him shit for using auto tune at the time but to me it symbolized the cold, robotic nature of the record. It's got this almost industrial Prince vibe to it and it still sounds amazing. You can completely tell it's influence on a lot of acts like The Weeknd and Frank Ocean for sure.

MBDTF was met with INCREDIBLE praise when it was released and listening to it again makes you remember why. It's put together flawlessly with incredible production, guest spots who do some of their best work lacking even in their own records (I'm looking at you Jay-Z) and just feels like one of those amazing listens from beginning to end. Only Kanye West could do an almost prog-rap album about how fucked up his shit is and make it one of the best albums I've ever heard.

I'm really interested to see where he goes next, it's gonna be really tough to follow MBDTF but what I like about Kanye is he always seems hungry...people write off his jealously and bitterness to competiton as being a little baby...but that just fuels his fire to create better work in my opinion.
    Last edited by thefragile_jake; 03-04-2013 at 04:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    808's was my first and is still my favorite. Who knows what the real Kanye West is like behind closed doors, but the image he maintains is entertaining. I'm excited to hear what he does next too, but I'm not frothing at the mouth or anything.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

At a recent show, Kanye screamed his head off at the end of "Touch the Sky". Again, it's just kind of weird, quirky shit like this that keeps me interested in him.

Some of it almost reminds me of the distorted evil howl towards the end of "Come to Daddy" from Aphex Twin.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    love his music. absolutely amazing hip hop producer/arranger. solid enough commercial rapper. Decent live. dont ever want to read or hear him outside of his music.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 05-06-2013 at 07:17 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Agreed, the possibility of a darker and more intense record from Kanye is something I like for sure though.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    Agreed, the possibility of a darker and more intense record from Kanye is something I like for sure though.
    Should be dark and tormenting considering he's with Kim Kardashian now and is expecting a baby soon. Then again, I feel sorry for the kid somewhat as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    Started listening to 808's and Fantasy again the past couple of days. Kanye West, aside from being my favorite rapper, is also one of my top ten artists of all time. I got into a discussion with a friend of mine about my opinion on Mr. West and how it differs from people who are not in his camp as much as perhaps I am. That some people either find him an incredible dumbass or others find him this amazing, creative almost evil genius. I like West's personality and I think the things he does just adds more to his image, it may not be for everyone but hey...such is his life I suppose.
    for some reason i cringe when i consider kayne on anyone's top artists of all time lists, at the same time i totally get the "creative almost evil genius" description, he is that, and he doesn't seem afraid to just go in whatever direction he so desires at any moment.

love the 808 record, really watch the throne was the only album of his that didn't go directly into my heavy rotation...

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    well, ok, but, My Dark Twisted Self Absorbed Fantasy is the most overrated hip hop album of all time.

Of ALLLLLLLLL TIME

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I can't say I've ever been wowed by anything I've heard by Kanye West.
    Gold Digger is a cool song, that's all I've got.
    Where do I start?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Where do I start?
    Graduation and/or 808's and Heartbreak

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Last edited by october_midnight; 12-01-2022 at 12:00 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Where do I start?
    I'd highly recommend his latest, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Kanye may be an asshole, but he actually has the goods to back it up. MBDTF is virtually guaranteed to become a hip hop classic, and the critical response to it (for what it's worth) was one of the highest I've ever seen (94% on metacritic). For me it's a way more fascinating album, especially musically, than his earlier work (which can take sharp turns into Cheeseville).

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Kanye gave a surprise show earlier tonight, debuting new material...inside of a giant translucent pyramid.
    I fucking love the ridiculous shit he does in his shows.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I really like the NIN/Daft Punk influence in the heavier electronic song but the other auto tuned ballad that's going around is a little confusing. I loved the auto tuned aspect on 808's because it fits the robotic, cold atmosphere the record is trying to portray. Kanye and auto tune go together because I like how it's usually incredibly emotional and human aspect stuff he's singing about which has a juxtaposition thing going on. This new ballad I think is obviously about Kim and I don't really care for the refrain "Baby, you're awesome." Guess we'll have to wait and see what else comes out!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Last edited by october_midnight; 12-01-2022 at 12:00 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    It's certainly a very Kanye way to premiere new music. Wonder if he'll do it tomorrow on SNL.