Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 1559

Thread: Kanye West

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    Which interview is this? I'd love to hear/see it.
    Oh, hell. Well, you'll enjoy it because it's Andre Benjamin, if you're an OutKast fan.

It also explains a LOT about his absence.

But it isn't meant to make anyone happy.
    Last edited by elevenism; 09-06-2021 at 03:14 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Three, and, strangest of all, Kanye says "on GD" and something about freeing Hoover.
    GD=Gangster Disciples, if you don't know. Larry Hoover formed the organization, with organization, in this instance, being a euphemism for dangerous Chicago street gang that's spread across the US.
    https://www.thefocus.news/music/larr...er-kanye-west/

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...32m-story.html

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Ah HA.
    That makes sense.
    It's still kind of pushing the boundary for Ye to say "On GD," but what does the man do, if not push boundaries?

Edit: @allegro , regarding the second link, i'm quite aware of Hoover. Hell. Some of...well, ok, ONE of, but still, one of my very closest lifelong friends is GD.

Idk. Ultimately, i'd imagine that Kanye is back on his "for the City" grind. Hoover is a Robin Hood sort of figure. Note that, according to his writings, GD NOW means Growth & Development.
    Last edited by elevenism; 09-06-2021 at 05:31 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Edit: @allegro , regarding the second link, i'm quite aware of Hoover. Hell. Some of...well, ok, ONE of, but still, one of my very closest lifelong friends is GD.
    2nd link, look at the DATE of the article.

Larry Hoover has been running the Gangster Disciples from Prison since 1973, and they just indicted him AGAIN for doing that in January of 2021.

But LH Jr. wanted Trump to let his Dad out under the new First Step Act.

LOL.

Hoover ain't no fucking Robin Hood.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-06-2021 at 06:13 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    This was about Jesus is King, but a lot of it fits with this release, too. It's SO damn funny, to me at least.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    2nd link, look at the DATE of the article.

Larry Hoover has been running the Gangster Disciples from Prison since 1973, and they just indicted him AGAIN for doing that in January of 2021.

But LH Jr. wanted Trump to let his Dad out under the new First Step Act.

LOL.

Hoover ain't no fucking Robin Hood.
    Oh, shit, that's obvious to ME.
    I'm talking about the IMAGE he cultivated with the charity events and attempts at community organization with the whole Growth and Development thing. He managed to convince a lot of folks that he was "for the people" or whatever.
    He tried to make a folk hero of himself. Maybe it worked on Kanye.
    He was, of course, still running a large, dangerous criminal organization.
    I guess moves like that aren't exactly unusual. It's like 1 percenter MCs doing toy runs for charity.

Edit: oh, shit- LH Jr. is ON THE NEW ALBUM doing a speech about the "cracks in the criminal justice system." I didn't know that; I didn't listen to all the Part Twos on Donda,.and didn't read your first link.

So, yeah. I'd imagine Hoover is a folk hero to Ye.
    Last edited by elevenism; 09-07-2021 at 08:53 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7s...nk&dl_branch=1

I spent part of the weekend walking around a provincial park and listening to this album and compiled a digestible 50 min version that works well.

1. Donda Chant
    2. Jail
    3. God Breathed
    4. Off The Grid
    5. Hurricane
    6. Jonah
    7. Believe What I Say
    8. Junya
    9. Keep My Spirit Alive
    10. Ok Ok pt 2
    11. Moon
    12. Jesus Lord
    13. 24

Fooooooooorthermore...

It's too bad that Life Of The Party was left off the album. I saw someone say somewhere that it was like of he had left "No More Parties in LA" off of TLOP. I have to agree with that statement.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I kept the listening party rips around for the ones left off the album.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Photo leaked of Kanye in a Star of David shirt, (which i THINK is a piece of merch for Donda?,) while recording with Rooga (of GD anthem fame.) Also, Rooga performed GD Anthem at the the Chicago listening party. AND, Rooga ghostwrote part of Jesus is Lord.
    This is seeming stranger and stranger.
    STILL, I'm 99% sure that it's just that Ye sees GD as part of Chicago culture, and thinks that Hoover is a positive figure who tried to empower people.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Donda is easily the worst album I heard in 2021 so far. And probably the worst album I ever heard in terms of monstrous length(that just wastes said length). It's just so simplistic,boring,plodding and meandering. How many times can you repeat you ain't selling out/being commericial(lol on that),speaking to god/jesus or are god/jesus yourself(got old one album ago pal) and boasting about your wealth/status/importance etc while at the same time moaning how we shoudn't judge you. Out of 27 tracks there are about 4-5 actually well made songs,everything else doesn't bear replay. The most frustrating part is Jesus Lord,where he kinda reframes his religious obsession in a way as to cope with life's struggles. That's so much more universal and understandable and the track has like a clear point and executes in one song. But then we're back to meme-tier shit. I sure miss The Life of Pablo,back when Kanye messes lacking cohesion and actual point to them still were fun&exciting.
    Last edited by Something Underneath; 09-12-2021 at 10:11 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I completely disagree. I'm actually surprised at how cohesive and polished the finished product is in comparison to the three listening parties. Each event had it's own set of problems. In the end, most of the details were cleaned up and corrected. Not to mention that there are 23 unique tracks here (and more left off)! That's a lot of music to work on! Also, the songs have their own identity yet feel like they're all swimming in the same pool... that's a feat, in my opinion. I don't think those who are criticizing have truly put in the time or they're basing their enjoyment (and lack there of) on outside factors. This is Kanye at the top of his game again after a couple years of lackluster releases that didn't seem to push all the way. I love it and I don't skip any tracks.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I think it's a bit ridiculous to act like we can separate the art from the artist in the case of Kanye. Those 'outside factors' at this point define him far more then his music for the past few years. And it's like a 1hour 40minute long album,to say that people who don't enjoy it should just commit more time to "getting it" is a bad proposition in a world with endless content choices for something one can enjoy. I'm not about to rate something different based on scope and ambition. If it's a failure then it's a failure because quality over quantity always triumphs and listening parties shoudn't even be a thing casual listener even considers when rating what the album amounted to in the end. Glad you enjoy it though.
    Last edited by Something Underneath; 09-13-2021 at 11:34 AM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    LOL, I love Todd.

Rundgren says he eventually came to the realization that West is "a shoe designer. ... He’s just a dilettante at this point. Nobody would regularly make records like that unless they had stupid money to throw around. Nobody rents a stadium to make a record in. Nobody flies in the entire world of hip-hop just to croak one syllable, just so you can say that everybody was on it.

"My involvement went on for a year, and in the end I realized why they hurriedly wrapped the whole thing up and put out what is obviously really raw, unprocessed stuff. It’s because Drake was running the whole process. He was too afraid that Drake would one-up him, so he hurried up and released the album the weekend before Drake could get his out. And in the end, Drake ate his lunch anyway.”
    Last edited by allegro; 09-14-2021 at 11:36 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    This was about Jesus is King, but a lot of it fits with this release, too. It's SO damn funny, to me at least.

Seriously you guys. PLEASE watch this if you haven't seen it.

It will make the milk come out of your nose. @kleiner @allegro @mfte @wizfan @bobbie solo

@ anyone who thinks about Kanye at all.

This is from an INSANELY irreverent purveyor of comedy/animation called Filnobep.

He gets content strikes regularly and has to stop for 6 mos or so.

And this video wasn't even on his channel anymore. But SOMEONE had it

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Seriously you guys. PLEASE watch this if you haven't seen it.
    Ok

BWAAAAAAAAAA HA HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Yeah, I saw it when you first posted it, I loved it

@kleiner
    Now their username is @implanted_microchip (still won't let me tag them, though. weird).

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    It is quite funny.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    God Breathed
    Off The Grid
    Hurricane
    Praise God
    Jonah
    Ok Ok
    Junya
    Believe What I Say
    Remote Control
    Heaven and Hell
    Tell The Vision
    Ok Ok pt 2

12 songs, 43 minutes. That all I’m keeping from this album after several listens. Better than ye & JIK, but not better than anything between 2008-2016. Haven’t listened to the first 3 in ages so can’t compare.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I'm just annoyed how you can't download certain songs off the album, it only makes you buy the whole album on iTunes.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    It is quite funny.
    The original channel is Filnobep on YouTube. The dude is HILARIOUS; his main series is called We Are Young Money.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Wow, fuck you guys for baiting me into listening this shit. Sure, I would've done it eventually by myself, but still. I have never heard a more mundane, boring, shit Kanye record, ever. It's like the combination of the worst of what TLOP and JIK could offer. I don't even understand some of your song selections from the album. Many of these fucking songs are the SAME. Monotone, autotuned ramblings for various minutes. It was painfully boring after 10 songs already. And fuck Hurricane and its 76 million listens on Spotify, are you kidding with me?! It's like a mediocre Weeknd song which could not even get into his first two best albums.

The absolute worst thing about this record is that it just lacks almost everything which makes Kanye enjoyable. It's like his channeled his "crazyness" into the way he did this record, instead of into the songs itself, so we ended up with a bombastic record from the outside, but a bang average from the inside. I applaud him for this social experiment, but I hope he eventually releases an actual music record again. This was painfully boring, and that's a first for me in regards of Kanye.

I guess shoutout to Praise God, Heaven and Hell and Come to Life.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I had to listen through to this whole record looking for tracks to use on the air, and any instrumentals we could use for beds. I now wish even moreso that this batshit prick was launched into the sun & this record is utter trash except for like 3 cuts. So since this thread will never die bc @elevenism will never let it, here's good Kanye songs instead:

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    So Mr antichrist superstar Marilyn Manson joining Kanye's church service.....with the Beebs

https://pitchfork.com/news/kanye-wes...estream-today/

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    So Mr antichrist superstar Marilyn Manson joining Kanye's church service.....with the Beebs

Ye’s clearly the only person who will talk to him

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post

Okay so now we're CERTAIN that Kanye has a deep misunderstanding of Christianity, or that he's trying to start a fucking cult.

MM: So I'm openly Satanic and abuse women for fun.
    KW: oh, word? That's cool, we'll put you up in the front, then

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Wasn't there a time Justin Bieber was wearing a Manson shirt and they argued or something??

*google searches* https://www.eonline.com/news/881437/...-t-shirt-issue

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Meh I think the world has grown weary of this guy's shtick. Finally released the 'Donda' album and Twitter was on fire about it for ohhh, about a week? Now who cares. Struggling to remain relevant.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    As is typical, Kanye's latest schtick and public outbursts to get traction on his name before an album drop have been obnoxious. Guess Donda 2 is coming out soon?

Man. I feel for the fans who were there and loyal from the beginning ... I got into Kanye during 808s and fell off around the Ye era. JIK and Donda (1) are boring slogs to listen to.
    Last edited by thefragile_jake; 02-15-2022 at 07:22 AM.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    For sure. I've always liked his music and never really cared for his antics, but he is pretty unbearable now for me as well. History will most likely be kind to him, as he made too many great songs and albums to not to be regarded among the greatests, but I wish he kept his shit to triggering people with Trump, instead of harassing and promoting harassment towards others.

Also, I wish he released a new record eventually which is done from start to finish by the time it arrives. The last one was Yeezus, and I loved it - I don't count KSG. Pablo had resemblances of a structure but he infamously tinkered with it to the point that I barely listen to that record anymore. Yeezus was fucking great, but everything since then has been pretty mixed. It annoys me to irrational levels that this motherfucker turned one of his best songs into Use This Gospel... then goes on to act like he is acting right now. Not too Christ-like.