Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Kanye West

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/16/ar...nted=all&_r=4&

Really good interview about a whole host of things. Can't wait for the album to drop.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Fuck this pile of garbage!
    Last edited by october_midnight; 12-01-2022 at 12:04 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Last edited by october_midnight; 12-01-2022 at 12:05 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Read it this morning...awesome, but holyyyy shit...even I had to chuckle.

'You know, if Michael Jordan can scream at the refs, me as Kanye West, as the Michael Jordan of music, can go and say, “This is wrong.”'
    "I am so credible and so influential and so relevant that I will change things."
    "I understand culture. I am the nucleus."

If his head was any further up his own ass he'd be looking at his colon lol.
    I like a majority of his music but his self perception, Holier-Than-Thous attitude and just general stupidity really, really make me shudder that I like his music to a degree.

His main credibility, outside of music, with me went down the tubes the moment he got with and knocked up Kim Kardashian.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Anyone associated with the Kardashians is pretty much fucked.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Drip drip drip

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Ahh! I'm at work until 4:30 today. I want to listen to this!!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Looks like someone's been listening to Death Grips.

This is the best weekend/summer present ever! I'm In It is the most beautifully trashy thing ever.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Holy shit. This is really good, it's like a combination of Salem, Death Grips, Nine Inch Nails with the production habits of El-P...all wrapped up in a nice Kanye West blender. It's minimal in it's length but heavy in it's layers & electronic atmosphere. I'm really loving this.

I just saw Death Grips last night too...so coming off of the high of that show with Yeezus now...this is incredible.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I've gotta admit, I really like this. I've never really liked his previous albums (the last one was okay), and I loathe the guy as a person. But this is a pretty great album.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Another album of the year contender.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    This album is a fucking monster, god damn.

Blood on the Leaves and Guilt Trip feel like they could have been on 808s & Heartbreak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I get 808s&H vibes too, just darker and fiercer. This is a very, very good thing

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I can't believe how goddamn good this album is. The four Daft Punk tracks are galaxies better than RAM. This is so good. It truly is getting exhausting saying every single album that comes out is one of the best albums of the year, but fuck it. Until like two weeks from now when the next mindblowing release comes out, this is the AOTY.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    goddamn it, why does Kanye make it so difficult for me to admit that his music is good? Maybe it helps to have such a ridiculous ego if you want to do something really revolutionary, but I wish he'd keep it to himself. Fuck.

it helps to read this and try to pretend it's a real interview

But yeah, the new music is good.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Maybe it helps to have such a ridiculous ego if you want to do something really revolutionary...
    Kanye West is the Salvador Dali of rap. If having an ego this big helps him make the artistic leaps that he does, well, fuck it. I care about the music more than anything else. That said, Kanye will have to excuse me if I make it a point to avoid his interviews.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    I care about the music more than anything else. That said, Kanye will have to excuse me if I make it a point to avoid his interviews.
    I liked the comparison to Dali's arrogance, but don't tell Kanye, please. He's already the "Michael Jordan of music"

Otherwise, I agree. If the output is good, it should be appreciated. Face value. Even if the person making it is a totally self absorbed dick, the music is good, then it's good.

....and even if he gets off on the fact that people are begrudgingly admitting that his music is good even though they hate his attitude, and that fuels his creativity.... cool

Still, fuck him, I won't be giving him any of my money.
    I rarely steal music these days, but when I do, it belongs to Kanye West.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 06-15-2013 at 03:34 AM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    He's already the "Michael Jordan of music"
    He's going to retire to do something he's horrible at, and then have a half-assed comeback a few years from now?

*edit* kidding aside, I've been staying away from any info on this album as much as I could so I'm not biased for favorites based on who helped on what (Daft Punk, Skrillex, etc.). After my first play, I'd say my favorites are I Am a God, and Send It Up. I'll give it another listen or 2 or 12 over the weekend though to see how I feel after. As I said, I don't know who worked on which tracks, but the Rasta vocals just scream "Skrillex made me", and even though I'm a fan of his (haters gonna hate), honestly I don't think they work too well with Kanye.

*2nd edit* Would really love "Hold my Liquor" and "I'm In It" if it weren't for auto-tune and Rasta vocals, respectively. "I'm In It" gets bonus points for the hauntingly-beautiful Bon Iver vocals, though, so he breaks even on that one. "Hold My Liquor" would be my #1 track if he had used distorted vocals instead of auto-tune, and made the guitar solo more prominent, instead of just a background sound.

I really hope some stems pop up for a few of these songs to fuck around with.
    Last edited by ibanez33; 06-15-2013 at 04:43 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I really don't understand the appeal of Kanye West, mostly because everything likable about this album isn't Kanye Wests ideas. This album to me sounds like all of his recent previous efforts since Twisted Dark Fantasy. Basically he shells out insane amounts of money to get the best producers in the world make him awesome beats, and then he rambles on them with no coherent thought process about how he's a god like man who jizzes on bitches and has lambos.

Kanye didn't write that synth line, he didn't write those chord progressions, he didn't mix these songs, or sound design any of this album except CO production on 2 tracks with other heavy weights. Kanye West isn't Justin Vernon, or Daft Punk, or TNGHT, or fucking Gessafelstein. Like what am I listening to right now, I can't follow a thing he's saying and none of it is actually important so I geuss I don't have to, but I don't feel any genuine love put into this project or the music despite how amazing the production is, I just feel a man trying to be more awesome than he is and convincing half of the world he's a genius when he really isn't.

So I guess once again I'm just conflicted about this album, because the "MUSIC" is really good, and Kanye West is still a babbling idiot taking credits for other peoples brilliance. Like is anyone really going to listen to this in a month? I highly doubt it, anything memorable about this album isn't Kanye West.

I don't fucking get it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The dark vibe is awesome, but I wish he would've tried for more of that evil and genuinely scary sound (Send It Up, omg). The more I listen the more I hear some missed opportunities, too - like, I love all the raw materials of the album, the sounds, the bleakness of it, kind of cruel and spare, like 808s&H's evil twin, but just in the construction of it, I feel like in that instant right after that verse he needs to just smash it out of the park with something, but instead he hesitates and goes back to the chorus, or drops a different beat that loses the momentum, or etc. I also think that the album's harsh, dark, super-mechanical vibe has been done better by Shabazz Palaces and Death Grips, but they're not as mainstream as Kanye, so Yeezus will introduce a lot of new people to this sound.

I'm still really enjoying it. And it inspires me to be better - to take those moments where I would've done something differently, and then just go ahead and do it myself. It's hard to get motivated to be creative sometimes.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Pressed play on Yeezus, opening seconds of On Sight I had to make sure I didnt press play on Year Zero.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R-Dot-Yung View Post
    I really don't understand the appeal of Kanye West, mostly because everything likable about this album isn't Kanye Wests ideas. This album to me sounds like all of his recent previous efforts since Twisted Dark Fantasy. Basically he shells out insane amounts of money to get the best producers in the world make him awesome beats, and then he rambles on them with no coherent thought process about how he's a god like man who jizzes on bitches and has lambos.

Kanye didn't write that synth line, he didn't write those chord progressions, he didn't mix these songs, or sound design any of this album except CO production on 2 tracks with other heavy weights. Kanye West isn't Justin Vernon, or Daft Punk, or TNGHT, or fucking Gessafelstein. Like what am I listening to right now, I can't follow a thing he's saying and none of it is actually important so I geuss I don't have to, but I don't feel any genuine love put into this project or the music despite how amazing the production is, I just feel a man trying to be more awesome than he is and convincing half of the world he's a genius when he really isn't.

So I guess once again I'm just conflicted about this album, because the "MUSIC" is really good, and Kanye West is still a babbling idiot taking credits for other peoples brilliance. Like is anyone really going to listen to this in a month? I highly doubt it, anything memorable about this album isn't Kanye West.

I don't fucking get it.

Quit thinking of Kanye as a musician and see him as a producer. You are right: he's not Justin Vernon, or Daft Punk, or TNGHT, or fucking Gessafelstein. Without Ye's ears and imagination, none of those artists would have thought to link up together. He's creating the ultimate mixtape as a form of high art. He's also really good at it.

There's another guy who does a similar sort of thing in a different genre (hmmm I think this is the place that you worship said individual). He also seems to have mastered everything but his lyrical content (cough*camebackhaunted*cough). It's a curse of the producer.

Love the minimalism on Yeezus. Rick Rubin is a genius.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rampface View Post
    There's another guy who does a similar sort of thing in a different genre (hmmm I think this is the place that you worship said individual).
    Worship? Speak for yourself.

Love the minimalism on Yeezus. Rick Rubin is a genius.
    Rick Rubin is NOT a genius.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Rick Rubin is NOT a genius.
    Agreed, Rick Rubin spoils a lot of what he works on.

As for Yeezus, I'm not entirely blown away by it. A few tracks are pretty neat but overall it's riding the hypetrain. I don't think anything will capture my attention the way 808's & Heartbreak did.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    God fuck this album, plus Sigur Ros, Like Clockwork and Daft Punk. Such an awesome summer for music.

Praise Yeezus.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    When the first listen finished, I hit play again. This is such a departure from MBDTF, there's not much traditional hip hop to be heard on this.

Digging the Daft Punk tracks, I'm going to need to headphone this album sooner than later.