Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Daʿish/ISIS/ISIL

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    So ISIS set the Jordanian pilot on fire and released a video of it.

I hate conspiracy theories but the production "values" are so over the top on this one. From the dramatic music to the slow-motion of the guy igniting the fire, I can see why some people would claim it looks fake.

Aside from the pilot whose jet crashed, anyone wondering where they are taking all these hostages? Kenji Goto was a journalist who went to Syria to secure the release of the first hostage Yukawa. How did the latter get captured?
    Why are people going to Syria in the first place. I hear Cancun is a lot more fun during this time of the year.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    I hate conspiracy theories but the production "values" are so over the top on this one. From the dramatic music to the slow-motion of the guy igniting the fire, I can see why some people would claim it looks fake.
    Well either these people are criticizing the aesthetics of the video, in which case WTF, either they are stating their opinion on the actual reality of what's depicted on the video.
    In the latter case, what the hell are they comparing this to ? The vast majority of people have no idea how a simple stabbing actually looks like, where is their sudden expertise on immolation coming from ?
    Like the cop executed in Paris where everyone was complaining there wasn't any blood after his headshot, or the immense amount of armchair architects/artificers after 9/11...

God, people are so full of it...

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    It's amazing the human brain works. I read recently that conservative minds like simple argument and nothing proved that to me more today when I saw a Facebook "friend" like a post from Hannity saying that Jordan knows how to respond to ISIS better than the U.S. It seemed to me that folks would only be happy if the U.S. Stepped out and just executed someone from Gitmo. Short of that, Obama hates the U.S. Seriously, there are plenty of presidents I've not cared for, but I've never thought any of them didn't love their country. It's pretty ridiculous.

Oh yeah, and this terror is only going to open the door for another Assad like ruler. Yes, one that will be installed by the U.S. With the support of Jordan and the Saudis.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Sounds about right! It's interesting because with Iran's cooperation (and they've offered it), they could probably ruin ISIS in a few weeks, but that would be throwing a bone to Saudi's regional rival

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    there was an interview with his widow in the independent today, will they be posting anything from that I wonder

probably not as it would help humanise a brown woman in a headscarf and help people understand the multi dimensional reality of the situation

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DF118 View Post
    “They’re a terror organisation,” he said. “They seek to strike terror in the hearts and minds of people globally, and by perpetuating these videos and putting them out there into the internet, it certainly expands the audience and potential effects.”

Im still a bit tired so that may be part of it but i had to reread this bit as at first glance i thought the guy was talking about Fox News not Isis. They really are becoming just a bunch of fucking trolls (Fox News).

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    ISIS apparently says that Jordan's retaliatory bombing killed an American hostage. Just terrible. However, considering it is believed that the Jordanian pilot was killed weeks ago, I wouldn't be surprised if this American woman was killed weeks ago too. This shit is scary,. I feel terrible for the Syrian people.
    Last edited by Dra508; 02-09-2015 at 01:44 PM.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Propaganda is at an all-time high right now, and it's astonishing how quickly the American press regurgitates it, unfiltered. That an American hostage was killed by Jordanian bombs is as credible as the news that King Abdullah himself would be piloting the bombers in these raids.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    I blame Twitter.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    ISIS has claimed responsibility for their first attack in the US. Two gunmen opened fire outside a "muhammed cartoon contest" in Texas.

Like the France attacks, the attackers were armed with semi-automatic rifles, body armor, and extra ammunition stored in their cars. Unlike France, a police officer drew his service pistol and gunned down the assailants within seconds of the attack. The only casualty was a school security guard, who sustained slight bullet wounds to his leg in the initial attack.

http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/is...tack-in-texas/ (not the best source, but it has a collection of good sources in it... some humorous )
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 05-05-2015 at 11:44 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    i spent my teen years in garland. it's PRETTY much dallas...if you've ever lived in a massive city, you know how there are those suburbs where you cross the street and you are in a different town? or where half of the strip mall is in one town and half in the other? it's like that. there are areas where you aren't sure whether or not you are in dallas, garland, mesquite, richardson, plano...it's all the same fucking thing. i used to walk from mesquite to catch a bus in garland and ride through dallas to my job in richardson and i had only traveled about 12 miles.

as reprehensible as it was for these attackers to...ahem...try to attack, JESUS CHRIST i'm ashamed of my former city hosting something like this at the fucking city civic center in the town square or whatever.

Would they host a contest for people drawing cartoons of the virgin mary fucking?

this thing was put together by an anti-islam advocate, from what i've read. hate groups shouldn't be sanctioned by fucking cities, ESPECIALLY a city as diverse as garland, which is more or less part of dallas, and is home to people of all races and creeds.

sigh.

ALSO, how in the fuck is this an ISIS attack?

Of COURSE they want to claim responsibility but i don't believe it. i think it's just misguided young kids getting into whatever's bad that they can believe in that makes them different and hard core.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post

as reprehensible as it was for these attackers to...ahem...try to attack, JESUS CHRIST i'm ashamed of my former city hosting something like this at the fucking city civic center in the town square or whatever.

Would they host a contest for people drawing cartoons of the virgin mary fucking?
    I'm pretty sure the ACLU says that group has every right to spout their noise. No imminent threat. I think local Muslims chose to ignore them. If those dunderheads hadn't shown up, their cartoon contest would have been a non-event.

Yeah Garland, I've been to the Babe's Chicken there. Nom nom nom.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @Dra508 you're in the metroplex, i fucking KNEW it. i grew up about 2 miles from that selfsame dinner house.

And yes, of course they have the RIGHT.
    But i don't think that the city should provide a forum for hate speech.
    They should have had it in Deep Ellum or something.

by the way, that babes was the original....the one on beltline?
    one of my dear friends growing up was one of the og waitresses there, and the poor dear died in a car crash on her way to college. she crashed into a horse. only in texas.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    But i don't think that the city should provide a forum for hate speech.
    It's not like the city was endorsing it. They provided public space for a perfectly legal activity. What you are saying is like "people shouldn't be able to hold signs in public parks if it says something I dislike... they should take it to private property"

also...
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism
    i think it's just misguided young kids getting into whatever's bad that they can believe in that makes them different and hard core.
    pretty much describes how most of ISIS gets its members. Same goes for just about any extremist group.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @DigitalChaos .... i already know you are probably gonna stand firm on this one, but seriously...

would they allow a contest for depictions of people fucking the virgin mary?
    seriously.

also,

i what i meant about the kids not being IS, i guess what i mean is that they have probably never had any contact with legit IS members, ever.

bagdahdi wasn't in syria thinking, "damn, lets send the kids from arizona to shoot up that cartoon contest in texas. fuck that shit! hit 'em up, let's send them in"
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-18-2015 at 07:46 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    I can't imagine what legal ground they could stand on to block a drawing contest that defiles christian imagery. Try it! Sure, you'd probably get a lot of protesters outside.

we will have to see if an investigation finds any connections to ISIS. They sounded pretty geared up for the shooting.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    i'm not talking about legal ground though @DigitalChaos .

my point is that if i DID produce anti christian imagery, the garland convention center would certainly not give me a forum to display it.

but if it's anti muslim, well fuck yeah.

and that is kind of fucked off.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    hrmm, sounds like they are still investigating, but one of the guys pledged allegiance to ISIS. He was under FBI investigation and on a no-fly list that stopped him from flying to Syria to fight with ISIS. It also looks like he had some communications/contacts with various ISIS characters.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    hrmm, sounds like they are still investigating, but one of the guys pledged allegiance to ISIS. He was under FBI investigation and on a no-fly list that stopped him from flying to Syria to fight with ISIS. It also looks like he had some communications/contacts with various ISIS characters.
    NO shit.

i'm surprised man. that is a little disturbing.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    NO shit.

i'm surprised man. that is a little disturbing.
    Yeah. I mean, it sounds like they don't believe it was ORDERED by ISIS so far, but it's still kind of shocking.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    i'm not talking about legal ground though @DigitalChaos .

my point is that if i DID produce anti christian imagery, the garland convention center would certainly not give me a forum to display it.

but if it's anti muslim, well fuck yeah.

and that is kind of fucked off.
    I suspect, in your imaginary scenario, the city would have denied the rental in some legal way like anticipated fuckfest outside center would have been disruptive to normal business. The whole point of having that cartoon contest there was to push hate under the guise of our free speech amendment IMO. It's just like those Westboro Church freaks protesting outside funerals.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    I suspect, in your imaginary scenario, the city would have denied the rental in some legal way like anticipated fuckfest outside center would have been disruptive to normal business. The whole point of having that cartoon contest there was to push hate under the guise of our free speech amendment IMO. It's just like those Westboro Church freaks protesting outside funerals.
    i just think....KNOW...that they wouldn't allow it period, you know? i don't even think they would have to use the legal system

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    So, that NYC video that they came out with was mad creepy!

I'm going to a concert at Barclays tonight, and got an email about heightened security inside and outside of the building. To be sure to arrive early, etc, etc, etc... There are millions of things that I'm more scared of than these fuckers. But that video is just SOO EERIE.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    G pointed me to this article yesterday:

An ISIS defector explained a key reason people continue joining the group

Despite ISIS's claims of ruling over a Islamic "caliphate" in line with Sharia law, a large number of the group's fighters joined for reasons having little to do with religion, according to a defector from the group that The Daily Beast's Michael Weiss interviewed in Istanbul, Turkey.

Instead, people are joining the organization because they are desperate for money and are struggling to find a way to survive in Syria, where four years of civil war have decimated the economy.

The ISIS defector, who goes by the pseudonym Abu Khaled, spoke with Weiss about the group's internal dynamics, and what it was like to live under ISIS's rule.

According to Abu Khaled, a large number of people are joining ISIS because they need money. After joining the militants, people are paid in US dollars instead of Syrian liras. Abu Khaled said that ISIS also runs its own currency exchanges.

ISIS members receive additional incentives to fight for the group. “I rented a house, which was paid for by ISIS,” Abu Khaled, who worked for ISIS's internal-security forces and "provided training for foreign operatives," told Weiss. “It cost $50 per month. They paid for the house, the electricity. Plus, I was married, so I got an additional $50 per month for my wife. If you have kids, you get $35 for each. If you have parents, they pay $50 for each parent. This is a welfare state.”

And those financial benefits are not just limited to the organization's fighters. According to Abu Khaled, any member of ISIS, ranging from construction workers to doctors, receives similar compensation. In war-torn Syria, these salaries are a powerful lure for people who might not otherwise be able to support their families — or for people just hoping to get rich.

“I knew a mason who worked construction. He used to get 1,000 lira per day. That’s nothing," Abu Khaled told Weiss. "Now he’s joined ISIS and gets 35,000 lira—$100 for himself, $50 for his wife, $35 for his kids. He makes $600 to $700 per month. He gave up masonry. He’s just a fighter now, but he joined for the income.”

Other Syrians who have fled from ISIS's rule have corroborated Abu Khaled's reports, confirming that one of the only ways to accumulate wealth and status under ISIS's rule is by joining the organization. Yassin al-Jassem, a Syrian refugee from near ISIS's de facto capital of Raqqa, Syria, shared his experience with The Washington Post.

"There is no work, so you have to join them in order to live," al-Jassem told the Post. "So many local people have joined them. They were pushed into Daesh by hunger."

According to Newsweek, there is a widening gap in living standards for those under ISIS rule. Members of the organization have access to food, free medical care, and desirable housing. In contrast, people who aren't ISIS members suffer under a barely functioning economy with rapidly increasing prices.

ISIS can afford to pay people seeking to join its ranks through four main sources of income: oil, the sale of looted antiquities, taxation, and kidnapping ransoms.

The militant group either controls or has an operational presence around a number of oil wells in Iraq and in the majority of oil-producing areas in Syria. This allows the group to earn a steady income from oil production and smuggling that helps it to continue its daily operations.

The New York Times estimates that ISIS can make upward of $40 million a month through oil-related activities. In a bid to cut the group's income, the US conducted its first airstrikes against ISIS oil trucks on November 16.

Residents watch militant Islamist fighters taking part in a military parade along the streets of Syria's northern Raqqa province on June 30, 2014.

ISIS's main source of income is significantly more difficult for the US and other coalition partners to target by air. According to Foreign Policy, ISIS makes the majority of its money through extortion and taxation of people living under the group's rule.

ISIS taxes nearly every possible economic activity, with the revenue ultimately covering the expenses of waging continuous war along multiple fronts. Foreign Policy notes that taxes are put in place for militants who loot archaeological sites. Non-Muslims must pay religious taxes, and all ISIS subjects pay a base welfare and salary tax in support of the fighters. All vehicles passing through ISIS territory — which may carry the only food available to those living under ISIS control — must pay taxes often totaling hundreds of dollars.

This ad hoc war economy means that ISIS has little money to spend on improving the lives of those who are forced to live under its rule. But as Abu Khaled's account confirms, it still finds the money for conducting military operations and incentivizing militants to join the group.

That money and the other benefits that ISIS fighters receive means that Syrians join ISIS out of desperation — and not necessarily out of religious or ideological conviction.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    ^ "I need money" doesn't really connect with the people who are going on suicide missions. I'm certain that there are PLENTY who are working the non-suicide missions who fit in the "i need money" camp though. Also not mentioned: blowback.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    ^ "I need money" doesn't really connect with the people who are going on suicide missions. I'm certain that there are PLENTY who are working the non-suicide missions who fit in the "i need money" camp though. Also not mentioned: blowback.
    Maybe the families of the suicide mission people get some kind of big benefit?

edit: Wait, that same guy they interviewed for the above article answered that question.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-19-2015 at 01:38 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Jesus, god, have you guys seen the new Frontline about Isis in Afghanistan?

They are holding school with little (and i mean LITTLE) kids teaching them how to work machine guns and hand grenades and shit.
    It's truly, seriously terrorist pre-school.
    A journalist with balls of solid rock went and interviewed these fucking maniacs.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Jesus, god, have you guys seen the new Frontline about Isis in Afghanistan?

They are holding school with little (and i mean LITTLE) kids teaching them how to work machine guns and hand grenades and shit.
    It's truly, seriously terrorist pre-school.
    A journalist with balls of solid rock went and interviewed these fucking maniacs.

That is fucked up. I read about their history and I can't believe what these assholes believe in and such. They're fucked in the head.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    That is fucked up. I read about their history and I can't believe what these assholes believe in and such. They're fucked in the head.
    dude you should watch frontline's "the rise of isis."

i THINK i linked it here before, but i think they might have taken it offline for now because they are gonna re-air it soon as new, in light of recent events

edit: yeah it's down for now.
    it was originally aired on 10-28-14 and it made my fucking head spin.

I BET they will air it on PBS this weekend at some point.
    I will link to it here asap because i think anyone interested in the subject should watch it.
    As i said before in this thread, i don't think we've ever seen a group like this. They are NOT fucking around.

This isn't like al queda. I recently heard that IS was sitting on an estimated 2 BILLION dollars,
    And they pay members $700 a month, which is probably REALLY good money in a third world country.
    Last edited by elevenism; 11-20-2015 at 11:25 AM.