Page 107 of 131 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 105 106 107 108 109 117 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,210 of 3920

Thread: Shitty Music. (The Nickelback Thread)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    That Core10 is a Helmet ripoff. Good call! Man I can’t believe they are as bad as they are. Lol. They make ICP seem good, lol.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OSPF View Post
    They had a former Korn drummer? Woooow. I had no idea.
    I warned you...

Last edited by bobbie solo; 08-20-2018 at 01:24 AM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    OK, this does need to have more clarity/background info regarding the cover.

I was at the opening show in Madison, and they said they’re going to be doing these covers in every city- and the song is going to have some connection to the city they’re in that night. In Madison the two played a short cover of Garbage’s “Stupid Girl”.

So basically expect a different, shitty, short cover song every night from Metallica on this tour. They didn’t seem to be taking it seriously at all in Madison, for what it’s worth.
    Last edited by Krazy; 09-08-2018 at 02:55 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    This song got a lot of shit for being part of Hilary’s campaign lol. Here’s just one article out of probably 3000 you can google:

https://extranewsfeed.com/fight-song...n-17965a69501f

I'll never not laugh at this^

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

I was at the opening show in Madison, and they said they’re going to be doing these covers in every city- and the song is going to have some connection to the city they’re in that night. In Madison the two played a short cover of Garbage’s “Stupid Girl”.

So basically expect a different, shitty, short cover song every night from Metallica on this tour. They didn’t seem to be taking it seriously at all in Madison, for what it’s worth.
    The writer Steven Hyden had a real go at GQ for covering this like it was some major event. And I agree, nitpicking stuff like this that's supposed to be fun and in the moment is really the definition of today's click-bait journalism.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

It was so bad though. Like wtf bad. If they sight read it i'd think about giving it to them. However it seems like they gave it at least 5 mins thought.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    It was so bad though. Like wtf bad. If they sight read it i'd think about giving it to them. However it seems like they gave it at least 5 mins thought.
    They did the same thing with Stupid Girl- which was really short. They’re literally just fucking around for a few minutes.

If this was, say a bad Husker Du cover, and not Prince I’m sure AV Club wouldn’t have written an article about it.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Id actually like to see the do Du
    They did the same thing with Stupid Girl- which was really short. They’re literally just fucking around for a few minutes.

If this was, say a bad Husker Du cover, and not Prince I’m sure AV Club wouldn’t have written an article about it.
    Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    http://loudwire.com/starset-cover-ty...-you-to-death/

Peter Steele is turning over in his grave!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookster426 View Post

I'm a huge fan of both bands so I thought this was really interesting considering how different they are style wise. I like the cover, but nothing can ever compare to the original. One of my favorite songs of all time.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)

This was the gothic fuck-down song. Don't bring this emojified vocal bullshit to the party here... ugh. I wanna smack this singer in the face

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

This cover feels, I don't know, utterly inoffensive? Which is I suppose precisely what's wrong with it. The strong melodies of the original retain their sharpness here, all of the central motifs of the original still click into place. Unlike some of Starset's other material I actually listened to this song all the way through without switching to something else. Dustin Bates has not written a hook that really catches my ear yet. So this cover really just underlines for me the band's competence with regards to arrangement and instrumentation that I normally do not pay much attention to.

I have been told that Starset has actually been able to capture the attention of larger audiences (while other seemingly commercial rock bands have languished in obscurity) because their music has been featured in like videogame highlight videos on YouTube? Maybe I do not watch enough pubstomp videos, but I have no idea who's cutting, like, Rainbow Six: Siege or even Minecraft to Starset. My somewhat cynical suspicion is that the algorithm was really kind to them a while ago, and they were able to make the most of it.

Anyway, here's my point: I have kind of fucking given up on any rock band that meaningfully attracts commercial attention satisfying the aesthete in me that wants music with "credibility" and "innovation," whatever either of those things actually mean. I think people will almost certainly agree that this specific cover does not have have the same aesthetic pleasures of the original. I am loathe to bemoan any artist something that is almost certainly materially out of their control: but Bates voice is not as distinct as Steele's voice. Though, I think Starset clearly understands the basic construction on the song and restates the song's central ideas crisply without simply being derivative of the original's aesthetic choices.

I almost have no idea how you cover Type O Negative and then release the song for mass consumption in 2018 without it seeming like a pale imitation to anyone that remembers, or nearly remembers, when the original was new. There's maybe a couple of artists that anyone might accept this from. Maybe if your a certain kind of sludge or doom metal band you can get away with it as a way to pay homage to one of your less obvious roots as band.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    That cover has me really confused. It speaks to a 6-9 year old me, and my nostalgia for 80's pop, but having heard it around release, which speaks to a whole different animal has me stumped. I feel like the above post sums it up how my aberrant verbiage can't. It took a generic song ( I feel Steele would concur) which was done perfectly and was made into the thing it was essentially mocking. Bad song no, bad version not really. On one hand it's interesting on the other fuck out of here with that shit. *disclaimer I haven't the slightest clue who these star kids are.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah, there's nothing wrong with this cover. Not as good as the original, but has the same vibe.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'm a Sinatra guy, but this was inexcusable:

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Shinedown is headlining an arena tour with Papa Roach as the opener next year. Lol, WTF???

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Shinedown is headlining an arena tour with Papa Roach as the opener next year. Lol, WTF???
    We're in a time warp.

2018 -> 2004

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    We're in a time warp.

2018 -> 2004

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    That...made my day. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Did you read Iron Sheik's comments?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Saw this a couple days ago. That crap was definitely staged, right? The loser from ICP is like a semi-Pro wrestler or some shit, that should be able to land that kick. Fred fuck head wasn’t that pissed- and both bands can use any pub they can get.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    A sleeper would have been more effective

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    As long as Wes Borland wasn't harmed.. cool i guess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soma View Post
    As long as Wes Borland wasn't harmed.. cool i guess
    Why the hell is Wes still in this band? He's quit on 3 separate occasions. What is so appealing about this band for him to stay? He needs to permanently leave and continue making BLB and Big Dumb Face music. Hell, I would love to see The Damning Well get back and make a full record.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Why the hell is Wes still in this band? He's quit on 3 separate occasions. What is so appealing about this band for him to stay? He needs to permanently leave and continue making BLB and Big Dumb Face music. Hell, I would love to see The Damning Well get back and make a full record.
    As much as it pains me to type this, LB is probably his best source of income.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    As much as it pains me to type this, LB is probably his best source of income.
    it's that and the fact that those are the guys he grew up with. he's said that he can just kind of shut his brain off and do his job and that's what allows him to work on his more experimental music in which he's more invested.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)