Page 29 of 131 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 79 129 ... LastLast

Thread: Shitty Music. (The Nickelback Thread)

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rampface View Post
    AC > all the bands mentioned on this page*
    You don't say!!!? Oh my stars and garters!

*Queens and Numan are cool
    I'm not the biggest Smiths fan out there, but they're better than Animal Collective too, and so are about 40 of Mike Patton's solo projects. Animal Collective's adorable psychedelic noodling is precious and all, but I'll take Fantomas instead if I'm being given a choice.

I'm sorry that you're not into Massive Attack.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    This board has terrible tastes in music. Look at the top threads in the music section right now. ICP? Vanilla Ice? Pearl Jam? Everlast?? Korn??? Wow...

It's like you guys are stuck in a time warp. I don't get it...
    I agree with you, but you could've put this in a much better way that didn't make it sound like you don't know what you're talking about. I'll elaborate. The majority of this board seems to be in love with artists that are either bad or past their prime, or in the case of Tool and Marylin Manson, both. The recent threads started about ICP, Vanilla Ice, and Everlast are just there, they don't bother me, Kris who started those threads is someone I talk to frequently about music, even if I don't listen to those bands mentioned. I will agree that this board can be somewhat closeminded when coming to new music or to something outside the realm of being "dark", but for every shitty band that gets love here, I've found someone who I can converse with on a thread that I may have started.

Outside of QotSA, Massive Attack, The Smiths, and Pearl Jam, I will agree that most of the threads with conversation serve no interest to me whatsoever, but if I want to talk about something that caters to me, I'll resurrect or start a new thread, it's that simple. For every discussion about Maynard or a boring NIN side project you can find a few people here that maybe get as huge as a boner for Animal Collective as you do. After all, "Centipede Hz" wasn't that bad.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    "Scream & Shout" received generally positive reviews from music critics. "...track has an irresistibly catchy hook and melody, and that it could be will.i.am's solo breakthrough in the American market." "...perhaps the best part of the song is the best one-liner from Britney's 'Gimme More' – It's Britney B."
    "...despite not dancing in the video, Spears "does look phenomenal. With her teased blonde locks, sexy (yet age-appropriate) pencil skirt and the highest of high heels, Ms. Spears looks sultry yet sophisticated."
    Give me a fucking break.
    Last edited by fillow; 10-21-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

I love how the cover ironically states the quality of their music. I can't believe it's the legit cover but it is.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    You don't say!!!? Oh my stars and garters!

I'm not the biggest Smiths fan out there, but they're better than Animal Collective too, and so are about 40 of Mike Patton's solo projects. Animal Collective's adorable psychedelic noodling is precious and all, but I'll take Fantomas instead if I'm being given a choice.

I'm sorry that you're not into Massive Attack.
    lol. I don't expect anyone to value my opinion. I totally understand why someone wouldn't like Animal Collective. I didn't like them at first either. But at least they are trying new and interesting things. There doesn't seem to be a mass of open minded and forward thinking listeners on this board. I'm not saying that's you. Just an observation.

I respect The Smiths but their music does nothing for me. Massive Attack I need to check out.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I finally "get" Animal Collective. A couple of their records, anyway. I think.

The vast majority of their catalogue honestly makes me wonder if they're utterly cynical about the kind of scenesters they attract and are just hoodwinking them. The fact that they were playing shows before the release of Centipede Hz with setlists devoid of material from their previous records only lends credence to this theory.
    Last edited by Aladdinsanity; 10-21-2013 at 05:00 PM. Reason: grammar fail

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    They've always done that. Since they only have a limited amount of time together, they use their sets to play new material and test it out. After the tour is over, they record the songs and move on. Let's not make this a AC thread haha.

Back to my original point...it seems like Trent would take one look at this place and be completely disgusted. Why did the darker-leaning, angst-ridden audience win out? I've always considered nine inch nails in the same league with progressive bands (Radiohead as an obvious example). Where are the threads for Oneohtrix Point Never? The Field? The Knife? Burial? Four Tet? Tim Hecker? Actress? Boards of Canada? etc. Instead you see Korn at the top of the main page. It must be frustrating as an artist to know your fans have not kept up. Look at the fans reaction to Everything!
    Last edited by rampface; 10-21-2013 at 05:25 PM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    If I remember correctly, The Knife thread was pretty big when Shaking the Habitual was released.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    There's tons of quality band threads on here that I've seen since being a member. To name a few I've seen in the past: Godspeed! You Black Emperor, SONOIO, BBD, The Knife (as @Kid Charlemagne said above), Boards of Canada, Nick Cave (currently up near top), Gary Numan, Coil, Jonsì, QOTSA, TV on the Radio, Skinny Puppy, Autechre, Arcade Fire, Bowie, etc etc etc etc.

Post counts in threads, active things about for the band/musician, new material are all factors on a band's thread being on the front page of Music Revolution. The board has more of a diverse taste in music (even bad, as it's still a taste) than what you're giving credit for.

The fact new threads like Vanilla Ice, ICP and etc are dropping off and with low post counts indicates they're not popular much anyways so meh. Who cares?

As for your remark of "fans not keeping up" then I guess anyone that still listens to random 60's-70's bands count too? It's not just limited to 90's bands.

Music is subjective. You like it or you don't. I don't see why it matters. 80% of the people in my life likes bullshit but I shrug it off as it doesn't reflect my tastes or personality.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 10-21-2013 at 06:09 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I don't care either but I thought this thread was made to talk shit? lol

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Oh well, just think of me as that rare and weird hybrid that likes "good" and "bad"... or "really fucking bad" music. I actually made the Queen, Michael Jackson, Killing Joke, Ministry, Hanoi Rocks & Michael Monroe, and Aphex Twin threads... so hopefully that would obviously more than even it out in some ways.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post

I love how the cover ironically states the quality of their music. I can't believe it's the legit cover but it is.
    They cover Veruca Salt's "Seether" on here. It also belongs in this thread.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    There doesn't seem to be a mass of open minded and forward thinking listeners on this board.
    There are, but besides... one of the things that makes this board interesting (to me at least) is that even when people get all amped about music that I think is complete bullshit, they seem to authentically care about it. I've noticed that people in general don't seem to be as excited about music anymore, but on this board, people are. Even if I hate the music they're excited about, it's nice to see people authentically give a shit about music.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    ^what a douche!

Everyone hates Lars (rightfully) for being a jackass, yet i hold even less respect for Kirk Hammett; a guy that said: "yes, it's ok if we don't have solos in ST Anger", he has all the talent in the world... yet he "kneels" to James and Lars stupid creative choices... such a bland backscratcher...

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    I don't care either but I thought this thread was made to talk shit? lol
    I think it was made to burn bands you don't like, not spit on entire boards. The difference is subtle, I know, but it's there ; It's the difference between stating your taste, and saying that anyone disagreeing with you is a hopeless moron.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    ^what a douche!

Everyone hates Lars (rightfully) for being a jackass, yet i hold even less respect for Kirk Hammett; a guy that said: "yes, it's ok if we don't have solos in ST Anger", he has all the talent in the world... yet he "kneels" to James and Lars stupid creative choices... such a bland backscratcher...
    honestly, after watching that movie (you know the one), kirk was the only one that didn't have his head up his ass. i've never been a huge metallica fan so the fall from grace wasn't as drastic for me, but yeah, some of the decisions they've made over the years...really baffling.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    honestly, after watching that movie (you know the one), kirk was the only one that didn't have his head up his ass. i've never been a huge metallica fan so the fall from grace wasn't as drastic for me, but yeah, some of the decisions they've made over the years...really baffling.
    True, James and Lars are very annoying (mostly in the "Some Kind of Monster" film...), and Kirk is just an easygoing dude that hates mindless arguments (pretty much like Rob Trujillo), i don't blame him and i justify this posture yet i think this has "harmed him" more than making him good (from a musical standpoint)
    Jason Newsted was a hothead but either you love or hate "Voivod" and/or "Echobain" he challenged the creative and restricting decisions of the Hetfield/Lars regime and now he's doing his own thing and growing as a musician...

Im not saying' Kirk should "dump them" (he will always be Metallica's Lead guitar for better or worse...), yet i think he could show a little backbone he has TONS of talent, yet he's happy in his "Metallica comfort zone", it angers me to watch his talents go to waste in mediocre albums like "St Anger" or "LULU"

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I was always a bit confused about Everlast's reception here. I really thought that Everlast and the House of Pain would've gained the same kind of reception that the Beastie Boys and Eminem had here, and while I didn't expect him to be as equally popular and enjoyed, I didn't expect him to be lumped with Vanilla Ice, Kid Rock, and the Insane Clown Posse.

It just confused me, as I thought that the House of Pain's self-titled debut and Whitey Ford Sings the Blues would've been welcomed warmly here. And at the very least, I thought he'd be somewhere in between Beastie Boys and Cypress Hill territory. (Considering how it's very possible that Cypress Hill had an influence on Everlast and vice-versa.) On the other hand, I can see how his beef with Eminem never really helped as there are a lot of Eminem fans here too.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 10-22-2013 at 05:59 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I was always a bit confused about Everlast's reception here. I really thought that Everlast and the House of Pain would've gained slightly similar reception that the Beastie Boys and Eminem had here, and while I didn't expect him to be as equally popular and enjoyed, I didn't expect him to be lumped with Vanilla Ice, Kid Rock, and the Insane Clown Posse.

It just confused me, as I thought that the House of Pain's self-titled debut and Whitey For Sings the Blues would've been welcomed warmly here. And at the very least, I thought he'd be somewhere in between Beastie Boys and Cypress Hill territory. (Considering how it's very possible that Cypress Hill had an influence on Everlast and vice-versa.) On the other had, I can see how his beef with Eminem never really helped as there are a lot of Eminem fans here too.
    I'm not sure, but it almost seems like you're drawing quality and stylistic similarities between these artists simply because they're white. There's a lot of great white rappers out there... Everlast isn't one of them

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I didn't mean to do that, but I still see what you mean. I really just didn't know what to really expect with how Everlast would've been taken on ETS, as it was far more easier to accept and see why Vanilla Ice, Kid Rock and the ICP are hated and crapped on. And well, it was something I've admittedly failed to see for quite a while here, and I just wanted to be sure about how Everlast was taken here.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 10-23-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    House of Pain's second album is awesome. Third album isn't bad either.
    As for his solo stuff there's some good songwriting there, but the whole thing is served in this syrupy schtick that is pretty hard to stomach. So thumbs down.
    As for white/Jewish rappers I dig some Necro and Ill Bill. Necro is just...off the charts, in a genre pretty much of his own making. I go between listening to tons of Necro and feeling disgusted by it.
    Vinnie Paz is also pretty good.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i love, love, LOVE this scathing review/comeuppance of the UK hype machine and savages. i couldn't agree more.

http://www.collapseboard.com/reviews...-noirematador/

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    When youth hardcore outfit Altitudes failed to pay engineer/video director Dan for his work he retaliated in the greatest way possible. Not by escalating the fiscal faux pas to an accredited debt collection agency (that would be too corporate maaaannnn), he decided to rework the fruits of their labour into a terrible EDM remix with untouched vocals. Behold!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Jesus, hopefully this makes them cry their way out of the music industry... Even WITH processing and their own music that song would have been awful.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Well, it had to happen eventually....

Cue the trumpets.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    Jesus, hopefully this makes them cry their way out of the music industry... Even WITH processing and their own music that song would have been awful.
    yeah... the best part, by far, is the cheesy dance music.

But really, this guy is the video director too? Man, clipping a gopro onto the end of a guitar isn't a clever or even remotely good idea, it's a gopro ad.

Also, having the guy skateboard while swinging around his guitar? If that was the band's idea, then shame on them, but you didn't know to walk away right then when they suggested it? Shame on you sir.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 10-23-2013 at 10:27 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Not sure why, but that reminded me of SongSmith

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)