Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Filter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I was a huge fan of filter for the first 2 albums. I thought the 3rd album was good, but nothing compared to short bus and tor. Since 08, they have been sort of bland. Nothing really sticks out to me anymore, all of their records sorta blend together in my memory. I just listened to the new record, its ok. Also, did he really use auto tune in 'Watch the sun come out tonight"?
    Last edited by NINisamazing; 06-15-2013 at 11:23 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I actually liked " The Trouble With Angels" more than "Amalgamut" now. "Title" was such a classic alt rock album, it's hard to beat. I would pay a ton of money to see that played front to back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ever watch Patrick's twitter feed? Guys got about as much brains as a box of rocks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    First album was good, went to shit after that.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    did no one ever show you how to edit a post? or tell you double posting takes as much brains as a box of rocks?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    New single is "Surprise."

Love that song and think it's a great choice.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Going to see them next Friday. Title of Record is still one of my favorite albums ever.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    For those of you who haven't heard, a few of us started a Nine Inch Nails podcast recently. Just five episodes in, we were able to bag an interview with Richard Patrick, who talked with us for over an hour about the early days of Nine Inch Nails, the present days of Filter, and plenty of shenanigans in between. Subscribe on iTunes (https://itun.es/i6FS9j2) or check out our main site (http://www.underneathitall.org), and enjoy!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I've seen Filter twice, in '11 opening up for Bush and in '13 when they opened up for STP. Great band to see live. RP is a great frontman, period. I loved The Sun Comes Out Tonight. To me the last album sounds like classic Filter but with some modern flourishes and it didn't sound like they were trying too hard. I see why some say that it has a "nu-metal" feel and I can understand that. I thought that some of the more pop-leaning songs like "Surprise" and "It's my Time" were highlights. Some of the lyrics, i.e. "sit down motherfucker" may seem sophomoric, but I'll give them a pass.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 01-02-2014 at 02:35 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    i quite like the title track and "What Do You Say" and "Surprise," but the rest is pretty samey and attempting to make anthems out of meh. (still better than the Anthems album, though...)

nothing will quite measure up to Title of Record for me anyway. that one's too steeped.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Gotta say I am impressed by the new album. It's their best since Amalgamut.
    I recently bought The Trouble with Angels and have given it a shot, but it's annoying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    there is a live filter q&a happening on tuesday feb 18th @ 16:30 aest if anyone here is interested in participating
    http://www.soundwavefestival.com/in-the-ring/filter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Solaris 2014: Interesting take. Greg on verse vocals

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I hope this method of taking it to another thread is encouraged. I thought I'd do it once more, since this post will be about Filter.

Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    people stopped paying attention to Filter in 1996.
    Didn't Title of Record actually do well? I never really got into Filter, nor do I follow them as of right now, but I can still recall Title of Record being a success.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 11-13-2014 at 12:25 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I hope this method of taking it to another thread is encouraged. I thought I'd do it once more, since this post will be about Filter.

Didn't Title of Record actually do well? I never really got into Filter, nor do I follow them as of right now, but I can still recall Title of Record being a success.
    Yup, with "Take a Picture" being one of their most well-known songs. Also, I wouldn't put too much stock into when "people" start or stop paying attention to Filter or any other band. The general public is pretty fickle--enjoy what YOU like. Filter has a pretty solid body-of-work and are pretty awesome live.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yep... I'll see these guys every time they come around my neck of the woods. Their tour with Helmet and Local H last summer was great. Richard may be a bit of a douche bag (runs his mouth on stage, goes on half-baked political rants in which he stoops to the level of rednecks of the audience he wants to debate with, and wears filter shirts while performing... etc.) but he brings tons and tons of energy to the stage and never phones in a performance. I always get drunk, sing along, and mosh my face off. It's an amazing time. I've their two most recent albums signed by the band, too. They don't really have a bad album in their discography- Soldiers of Misfortune or whatever was a tad insipid, and this recent one a bit over produced and generic, but I still jam them pretty frequently. As far as straight up modern rock goes, these guys are as good as anybody.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Yup, with "Take a Picture" being one of their most well-known songs. Also, I wouldn't put too much stock into when "people" start or stop paying attention to Filter or any other band. The general public is pretty fickle--enjoy what YOU like. Filter has a pretty solid body-of-work and are pretty awesome live.
    Well said. Yeah, Take a Picture is actually one of my least fav songs by them, even tho it was pretty popular.

I've always been a pretty casual Filter fan, but have always quite enjoyed them. Saw them live for the first time this summer at a really tiny venue, and was so close that you could barely take a picture (no pun intended) of the band. (This close, actually.)

Richard is kinda talkative, but seems pretty down to earth and connected to his fans. He got a little too rowdy during the encore and accidentally dropped the mic into the crowd, so I had to literally pick it up and hand it back to him, haha. I sent him a couple of my pics via Facebook, and he was cool enough to post them, PMed me back, thanked me for the pics, and even remembered me as the "mic guy."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    So I actually got to go see Filter for free tonight at a local dive bar, they were actually really good live. I was expecting them to suck live, but I also haven't ever seen footage of them live since Richard Patrick got sober a real long time ago. Sobriety suits him pretty well because they were good. I had no idea they had Danerys from Game of Thrones on bass either. They did a mix of new and old stuff, they did Jurassitol which was surprising. I was supposed to go see Raekwon and Ghostface Killah tonight, but I didn't have the funds, so my buddy got me into the Filter show in town for free instead. Pretty cool, then afterwards me and my friend met Richard, said good show and what not. Good time.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Saw them a few times and they rocked. New single isn't bad.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViN View Post
    I had no idea they had Danerys from Game of Thrones on bass either.
    wait a minute... what?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Not the actual actress but the girl playing bass looked a lot like her. Same bleached white hair style.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Jeez, did he did ever do anything without namedropping Trent or NIN?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...lbum-interview

New Filter Crazy Eyes is out 4/8. You can listen to the new song "Take me to Heaven" in the link. Not bad. Sounds more like old-school Filter, but more organic. Looking forward to the new disc.

ETA, Rex beat me to it.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 01-20-2016 at 06:07 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Song is okay, I don't think I'll listen to it again until we have the full thing.

Rich is a dumb guy. His lyrics are almost always terrible. The Trouble With Angels is about the least cringeworthy he's been lyrically.

Very mixed feelings about this band. I would almost call them a guilty pleasure, but I've seen them live so many times and really do love a large number of their songs. I suppose its the type of situation where I'm a fan, but I totally get why someone would think Filter is an awful band... Whereas, if someone thought NIN was really awful, I'd probably spend hours trying to convince them otherwise.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    This new song is boring ass, generic radio rock. Nothing industrial or experimental about it whatsoever. Rich is full of shit.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutilated View Post
    This new song is boring ass, generic radio rock. Nothing industrial or experimental about it whatsoever. Rich is full of shit.
    It's not amazing, not terrible either. It's decent, imho.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    He has said that this song is the tamest on the album, the most radio friendly track by far. So I'm still gonna give the album a chance, but expectations are medium to low.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed Filter's last two albums, so I have high hopes for this one.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Just listened to the new single after reading this new interview in which he said it was less guitar driven, more electronics and industrial.
    Disappointing. Pretty generic and boring.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I almost hate to feel less enthused about Richard's latest Filter music as he always seems so stoked about what he creates and genuinely believes in it. I WANT to like it but a lot of it's been so.......middle of the road is putting it nicely, definitely hit and miss, more of the latter. He needs to start collaborating with other artists i think, do a new project. Shake things up. Perhaps it'd make things less bland.. i dunno I'm not an expert. I'll keep my ear out for the full record though, always want to give things the benefit of doubt if the first single isn't anything exciting.