Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian Politics

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

And then that happened. I love it. This deaf, Indigenous man is a hero in my book.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Advanced polling is on until tomorrow; take advantage of less people being around and at the very least, remember to vote!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I voted too! By mail-in ballot, which I'd never done before. But it was easy and you can apply to do so by Sep. 14th (that's this Tuesday) on Elections Canada's website!

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    My polling station is across the street from me and in the past it's been pretty smooth getting in and getting out, so I'll just wait for the 20th.

That last debate was pretty dreadful though wasn't it? oooph

Also the thought of PPC gaining any ground is disturbing.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I did the mail-in ballot this year as well. Be careful if you're doing it though, from what I've been told, if you misspell the candidates name, they'll reject the ballot.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M1ke View Post
    I did the mail-in ballot this year as well. Be careful if you're doing it though, from what I've been told, if you misspell the candidates name, they'll reject the ballot.
    Yes, this is the case for any special ballot/write-in situation. I double checked the official list to make sure my candidate's name was right. She seems lovely (a Green Party candidate, btw, just in case anyone's curious if I still vote Green — yes, and despite the naysayers, I think it's still important to vote your conscience).

Greens and PPC may only get one seat each, but I can't help but feel some of the 'extra wacky' Green supporters went over to Bernier's anti-vaxxer tent. Sigh.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I found the MP candidate debate for my riding, first time I've ever actually seen one although i wouldn't really call it a debate. It's just a Q&A with no back and forth between the candidates.

Anyway, at the end of the day I think it'll be Jodie Primeau of the NDP for my vote.

Last edited by thelastdisciple; 09-15-2021 at 05:56 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Incredible article about the far-right shit storm that's been brewing in Canada.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2021/09/19/analysis/shocking-anti-vaccine-protests-plagued-canadas-election-spawned-resurgent-far

EDIT: Just got back from voting, my polling station took a little longer than previous times but not much, i was in and out in 10-15 minutes vs. maybe 5 minutes in the past?

Also I saw this coming lol

Green Party candidate withdraws in Ottawa Valley riding

@botley

see above ^ glad i didn't waste my vote on our former Green candidate.
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 09-20-2021 at 10:49 AM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    On the bright side, the Greens have only ejected 50% as many candidates as the NDP have for making antisemitic comments...

Oh well, happy Voting Day everyone!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Bloody fucking hell! What the actual fucking fuck.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Well, the CBC is now projecting that Trudeau won his unnecessarily-called early election. Looks like (so far) the Liberal Party is holding on to their seats in parliament. Could be a stable-enough plurality to stand for a few more years, or a majority to hang on for four. Too early to predict, but in ridings like my current one that were neck-and-neck in the polls, things are trending red.

Looks like the Greens are leading right now in Kitchener Centre, and Elizabeth May's riding of Saanich-Gulf Islands.

UPDATE: No party will have a majority. Maybe a slight change in the parties' seat counts compared to before the election, but not a significant one. Remind me why tf we did this again.
    Last edited by botley; 09-20-2021 at 10:24 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    But good news! Maxime "I'm an idiot" Bernier has lost!

I will drink to that.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    But good news! Maxime "I'm an idiot" Bernier has lost!

I will drink to that.
    And his idiot followers voted for garbage candidates in enough numbers around most of Ontario to hold the Conservatives at bay (though not in Peterborough-Kawartha, where they defeated the Liberal cabinet Minister Maryam Monsef).
    Last edited by botley; 09-20-2021 at 11:00 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    And his idiot followers voted for garbage candidates in enough numbers around most of Ontario to hold the Conservatives at bay (though not in Peterborough-Kawartha, where they defeated the Liberal cabinet Minister Maryam Monsef).
    My riding is one of those. The liberal is ahead by fewer votes than the pandemic party took from the conservative.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    All blue Alberta! Here's to our MP criticizing the Libs at every turn, but never countering with their stance.

And now we return to obliviousness.

“I was certainly hoping for a different result,” Motz said Monday evening. “I think Justin Trudeau should take a hike personally and step away from what he is trying to do to ruin this country. I’m actually surprised and disgusted at the results I’m seeing down east.”

This is a grown man...
    Last edited by poinoup; 09-21-2021 at 02:10 AM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Cheryl Gallant holds onto her seat.

We need fucking term limits.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    So 600 million of our money was spent to end back exactly where we were. All because Woke Justin thought he had bough enough people with all the Covid relief money he sent left and right to get a majority.

Awesome!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Also: Hi, marodi! It's been too long.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    A joke from my friend's friend: "what is the difference between the PPC and a toilet? A toilet has a seat!"

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I loved — lovedthis interview. It gave me hope that someone smarter than I am who understands way more than I do shares my analysis of where we are.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I loved — lovedthis interview. It gave me hope that someone smarter than I am who understands way more than I do shares my analysis of where we are.
    If these US Republican voting laws stand, expect to see me and my wife in the next few years, claiming political asylum.
    We actually already tried to head that way in 2013, but I wasn't allowed in due to a DWI.

Please vote for someone who will accept asylum seekers.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Our municipal election is Monday. It's been a good old boys club since I can remember. Well... outside of the time they were more panicked about where Playboys were on shelves in stores. They did bylaw readings about it!

Our mayor made sure to continunally add in that he's a conservative... in a town loaded with them. Dude is getting back in easily...

Then the mayor can celebrate at another bar and get caught for another DUI... where they merely take him home safely because it would look bad on the city.

*Looks at the Fords in Ontario*

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poinoup View Post
    Our municipal election is Monday. It's been a good old boys club since I can remember. Well... outside of the time they were more panicked about where Playboys were on shelves in stores. They did bylaw readings about it!

Our mayor made sure to continunally add in that he's a conservative... in a town loaded with them. Dude is getting back in easily...

Then the mayor can celebrate at another bar and get caught for another DUI... where they merely take him home safely because it would look bad on the city.

*Looks at the Fords in Ontario*
    I'll be paying attention to the election in Calgary from Ontario so i can laugh at Kevin J Jerkwad barely registering as a blip on the radar.

EDIT: LOL and also.... get fucked Pawlowski!

Last edited by thelastdisciple; 10-18-2021 at 11:01 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)