Thread: Canadian Politics

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Doug Ford: PC Thug, or Greasy Slug

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ring-1.6811480

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Toronto doesn't have a great track record with its Mayors.
    At least John Tory wasn't smoking crack.

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2023/02/...-affair-woman/

This event was too bad, he was a beloved Mayor who I think was doing as good as a job as anyone could. People loved him, maybe a little bit too much (pun intended).

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...RKKXNNKqm8AxQA

I know I'm in a biased position here, but I tend to believe the union when they say the government is delaying.

This same minister announced 3 days before she ordered us all back into the office 2 days per week, that she would not be mandating a minimum number of days to return to the office. The abrupt about-face and her insistence without providing any kind of reasonable explination for her actions has seriously damaged her credibility.

The union's statement has accused her and her office of incompetence, which is possible. The other explination is that they're only faking that they're interested in negotiation, and that they instead think they can wait us out.

Either way, I think we're going to have to buckle up for a long one here.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I think we're going to be out for a while longer still. I've got details on the 3 sticking points for the strike:

1. Wages. The union has come down to 11% from the 13% that keeps being talked about in the news, but the government hasn't budged from 9%.

2. Remote work. The union wants the collective agreement to include language that requires the employer to provide a written explanation when requiring an employee to work in the office. They'd also like the employee to be allowed to grieve if they disagree with the reasoning provided. The government is refusing to put any language into the agreement, and has offered to "review our previous direction", which means essentially nothing.

3. Seniority protections around layoffs. The union wants layoffs to be done by seniority, the government wants to be able to lay-off any way they choose.

And I got this email from the union last night:

Unfortunately, negotiations have ground to a halt tonight. The government has dug in on their position, and has shown no movement on our key issues, especially wages and remote work.

They think they can wait you out – they’re testing you, and they think you’re going to give up. But we’re going to keep holding the line and fighting for better. You deserve to keep up with inflation, and they don’t believe it.

Let’s keep up the pressure and continue to escalate our actions across the country tomorrow.
    Personally, I think the union demands are reasonable.

The union's been flexible try to to find something in the middle on wages, the employer hasn't. Asking to be told why we're being forced into the office is reasonable. The seniority thing is reasonable too, you don't want to see management selectively targetting those who've been around the longest for layoffs when they're the ones that are paid higher.

It sounds like the strike is going to continue for a while, as it doesn't seem like the current government is interested in negotiations, and only in dictating the terms of the collecive agreement.

When giving $13 billion dollars to Volkswagon, Justin Trudeau said "Confident countries invest in their workers." When it comes to actual employed workers, his government is unwilling to negotiate from far-below-inflation wages.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    "I answered the question."
    "NO, YOU HAVEN'T!"
    *runs*

I'm starting to think she might be a useful idiot.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    How very fucking disappointing.

HOWEVER... I am laughing at some of the UCP losers. Some of the most toxic faces over the past couple of years.
    Last edited by MrLobster; 05-30-2023 at 03:31 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Disgusting and disappointing are appropriate words, but so is unsurprising. He came to my hometown a few weeks ago, and here are photos of his supporters out in force:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ontario/com...today_and_his/

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M1ke View Post
    He came to my hometown a few weeks ago, and here are photos of his supporters out in force
    heh.. yeah, I don't have a reddit account to check out that pic... but chances are I already know the details.

Some of the worst people are giving him time and energy... but if he thinks he can sustain this level until the next Fed. election, well... let's see how long it for them to eat his privileged ass....

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    So how about them Nazis in Parliament?

Man oh man.. big OOF.

It really sucks how inevitable it feels that we're going to end up with a Pierre Pollievre Conservative Government.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I think the former Speaker of the House was manipulated in some way to inviting that war criminal.

But now Poland is looking at extradition, so... there's that.