Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian Politics

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Jesus fucking christ. A third instance of Trudeau and a racist act?

https://globalnews.ca/news/5922861/j...ownface-video/
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 09-19-2019 at 07:16 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Jesus fucking christ. A third instance of Trudeau and a racist act?

https://globalnews.ca/news/5922861/j...ownface-video/
    If we weren't in the middle of an election, I'd say it was time for him to step down, but him stepping down right now probably ensures a PC victory, and I really don't want that to happen.

FFS, here's hoping the liberals still win the election, but that he steps down or is forced out shortly after.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Trudeau just gave the election to Sheer. Between SNC, groping and now this he is done. I wonder how this will affect the local minister ridings.

If I was Sheer I'd be worried that the Liberals make Jodie Wilson-Raybould the interim leader.
    Last edited by mfte; 09-19-2019 at 10:00 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Trudeau just gave the election to Sheer. Between SNC, groping and now this he is done. I wonder how this will affect the local minister ridings.

If I was Sheer I'd be worried that the Liberals make Jodie Wilson-Raybould the interim leader.
    Normally, I vote Liberal, although I prefer the NDP. My riding always goes conservative, and it's not usually close either, but the Liberals always come in second, so normally I plug my nose, close my eyes and cast the Liberal vote in the hopes that I'll be surprised and the conservatives don't win.

But this is just embarrassing at this point. Trudeau is not the person I want representing our country on the international stage any more. He's had some gaffes, but if we elect him after this, it'd feel embarrassing to say that we knew this about him, and he was still the one we picked to lead us. Sure, he's learned, and he's taking ownership and he's apologized unequivocally, but our prime minister should be the best of us. This is not the best of us.

If the liberals said right now that they'd be finding new leadership after the election regardless of outcome, then I would still vote for them. Otherwise I'm going to have to sit down and look at the platforms of the NDP and the Greens to figure out which of those two to cast my vote for. Probably the NDP over the Greens, but I'll at least look at the platforms before I make my decision.

My riding is going to go conservative no matter what anyways though, so it really doesn't matter I guess.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Why do I have the feeling that these virtue-signaling people are the ones with the darkest (no pun intended) past? I sure don't want these people telling me how to live my life.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Balthier View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that these virtue-signaling people are the ones with the darkest (no pun intended) past? I sure don't want these people telling me how to live my life.
    It's not really clear what you're talking about here.

Who are the "virtue-signaling people" and when are they telling you how to live your life?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    In case any of you ladies and gents are interested in your friendly French speaking Québécois opinion on the brown faced Trudeau matter, I will say that we think it's indeed disgusting but we've been saying that he is a fucking idiot (and the son of the Antichrist) since the last election. Then, we'll roll our eyes and shrug.

We're busier keeping watch on that even stupider and potentially more dangerous Trump 2.0 wannabe called Maxime Bernier, aka Mad Max. I'm praying that my fellow Beaucerons compatriots will oust him for good.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    we all know donning blackface or any sort of throwback to minstrel theater is crazy racist... except it wasn't always called out for how crazy it was, and then there's pretty recent versions of it that were excused for it; like Tropic Thunder... because that was the joke. Except.. a single photo of Robert Downey Jr in blackface could be spun as something insanely racist without the movie... and even then, you could say it's still racist.

I don't know. At least he's owning it, apologizing, admitting he did something wrong, isn't trying to distract from the accusation... and Trudeau has never struck me as a really "racist sort of person" in general. Maybe he is. I don't know. Everybody fucks up though, and this was 18 years ago, back before we all decided Prince Harry was the greatest, super great guy, and forgot all about that time he showed up to a party dressed as Hitler with his buddy in a klan hat or some shit.

edit: The more I'm reading about this, the weirder it gets...
    Last edited by Jinsai; 09-19-2019 at 06:53 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    It's not really clear what you're talking about here.

Who are the "virtue-signaling people" and when are they telling you how to live your life?
    Right wing troll with 5 total posts trying to incite bullshit. Ignore and hope he disappears.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post

We're busier keeping watch on that even stupider and potentially more dangerous Trump 2.0 wannabe called Maxime Bernier, aka Mad Max. I'm praying that my fellow Beaucerons compatriots will oust him for good.
    Hope you guys oust that shithead you have for a premier, that assault on religious freedoms and mainly those who wear turbans, niqaabs, hijabs etc. is disgusting! I'm all for separation of church and state but this the wrong way to go about it.

Similarly Doug Ford and Jason Kenney need to get gone as well.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I don't know what this is going to do for Trudeau's electoral chances, the Liberal track record is decidedly mixed and this may well be the tipping point towards yet another Conservative government (ugh)... I was surprised that traditional media outlets pretty quickly started to print intelligent responses like this one instead of hand-wringing and outrage for weeks on end. What has Andrew Scheer ever done for anti-racism? (Spoiler: nothing, zilch, nada, with over twenty years in politics)
    Last edited by botley; 09-22-2019 at 04:14 PM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I dunno... I guess I just have shell shock from Trump being whatever he is... I'm used to our supreme leader being a raging proud racist that is actively encouraging racists... It seems like Trudeau doesn't want to court racists. That's good. It feels weird to see the "Conservative party" capitalizing on this, but, again, this is from a perspective from down here, where I'm thinking about fleeing from.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Look, as I said earlier in the thread, come October we may have the equivalent of a Republican supermajority up here in the legislative houses, so maybe flee somewhere else? The Moon?
    Last edited by botley; 09-22-2019 at 04:10 PM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Look, as I said earlier in the thread, come October we may have the equivalent of a Republican supermajority up here in the legislative houses, so maybe flee somewhere else? The Moon?
    Europe is still (super tentatively) an option I guess... though it doesn't feel great.

Everything feels fucked right now.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

No, seriously... what?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Diet Trumpism™?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Advance polls are open, people. Go do it. I voted NDP — our local candidate is amazing!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...ssue-1.5321029

My hometown is dumb. Also, remember not to vote for the conservatives!
    Last edited by M1ke; 10-16-2019 at 05:28 PM. Reason: fixed the link

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    https://www.usertesting.com/my_dashb...vailable_tests4

My hometown is dumb. Also, remember not to vote for the conservatives!
    i'm not sure that you posted the right link here.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    i'm not sure that you posted the right link here.
    Whoops, you're right. Fixed it now.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Credit where credit is due, Sheer stopped them from chanting it, but shame where shame is due that the conservatives clearly only win by inciting anger and fear where it doesn't belong:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6056190/c...-him-up-chant/

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Looks to me like Trudeau has now definitely lost his majority but he will remain PM — which I am fine wine with (EDIT: LOL, I may be drunk already?), particularly given an encouraging early result from Fredericton electing the first Green Party MP in Atlantic Canada! — but I don't foresee a decisive win for anybody tonight. The Bloc Quebecois are putting very solid numbers on the leaderboard, which is taking votes away from the other parties. HUNG PARLIAMENT, BITCHES
    Last edited by botley; 10-21-2019 at 09:13 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I like that it looks like Liberals + NDP is going to be enough to move over the 170 mark if they work together.

That might be one of the best outcomes I could have hoped for.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I'm not really sure if this counts as politics or not, but they finally fired Don Cherry.

Long overdue if you ask me, but surprised to see it actually happen.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I'm not really sure if this counts as politics or not, but they finally fired Don Cherry.

Long overdue if you ask me, but surprised to see it actually happen.
    I live in seattle & we get hockey night in canada. always enjoyed coaches corner but coach is pretty old. in his prime he could've gone up against charles barkeley!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Good riddance. He’s always been a xenophobic dog whistle nightmare.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Fired on Veterans day for standing up for veterans. People are such flakes these days. Wear a fucking poppy and stand silent for 2 minutes ONCE A YEAR. Never forget.

t's becoming increasingly evident that if you're white then you cannot speak freely, even if it is the truth. I love everyone... but it's true that I see almost no "immigrants" wearing poppies. Many muslims refuse to wear a poppy because they believe WWI was detrimental to the muslim community and supportive of the jewish community etc... their words not mine.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    Fired on Veterans day for standing up for veterans. People are such flakes these days. Wear a fucking poppy and stand silent for 2 minutes ONCE A YEAR. Never forget.

t's becoming increasingly evident that if you're white then you cannot speak freely, even if it is the truth. I love everyone... but it's true that I see almost no "immigrants" wearing poppies. Many muslims refuse to wear a poppy because they believe WWI was detrimental to the muslim community and supportive of the jewish community etc... their words not mine.
    Don Cherry has a long history of racist, sexist and xenophobic comments. This latest anti-immigrant rant was not the first occasion, and it's pretty surprising it's taken this long for him to get booted.

It's fine to support our veterans and to encourage people to buy and wear a poppy. He specifically centered out immigrants as "you people" not wearing poppies.

He was not fired for standing up for veterans, he was fired for falsely centering out immigrants as not supporting veterans.

I agree that we should all be standing up for our veterans, and doing more to support them, and I think there is an interesting conversation to be had around why fewer and fewer people are buying poppies. Don put the blame for that issue on immigrants. That's called xenophobia. He should have been taken off the air years ago.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post

Immigrant or not, it's none of your business how someone else "supports the troops", nor is it Cherry's. Want to buy a poppy and wear it? Fine, buy a poppy and wear it. Ever consider that maybe some people buy poppies and don't wear it because they don't need the social validation of their donation? Or that there are other ways to "support the troops" besides buying a poppy? Or maybe there are other causes they chose to donate money to?

Besides how do you know who is an immigrant? Are they wearing a sign? Do they have a name tag? Of course this is rhetorical. I already know the answer.
    Last edited by cdm; 11-12-2019 at 11:21 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Where I live it's clear who is an immigrant based on their wardrobe and accent. Why can't I say that? I welcome diversity, I love culture and I have made the effortless effort to bond with my friends and learn some spanish, arabic, tamil and even some czech. When I attended college (Fanshawe) I befriended several middle eastern friends and often went to their place to study, nicest friends I've had!

My current community.

https://lfpress.com/2015/02/08/commu...2-b3c865ec7c95

My 3 year old son attends Little Sprouts twice a week in this area, it's a general community center.

http://lcc.on.ca/family-support-prog...-family-centre

A large majority of the instructors and other enrolled kids/parents are immigrants, they often speak Arabic and many of the posters and art is english and arabic (even though we are supposed to exercise english and french here).

My family and I go to the mall across the street each Saturday for lunch. I see a lot of people wearing poppies, I have noticed that none of the muslim women, men, or children, wear a poppy.

My now 5 year old son was raised in Markham, which feels like 90% Chinese population but officially they say 50%. I LOVED IT THERE and I loved the culture. Again my son was enrolled in little sprouts where it was him in an english program with some Chinese influence.

I would shop at TNT grocery store and I can tell who was and who was not born in Canada.

There are many white russian and jewish immigrants too, and I can identify them as well.

How am I racist for observing that?

As for the poppy debate, it's true. Our veterans deserve to never be forgotten and deserve respect by all Canadian citizens.