Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian Politics

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ There's also that minor "absolutely no plan to deal with climate change" factor, but hey, who cares about that?
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    [PMJT] just doesn't seem fit for the job, he never answers questions, he appears to be more of a sheep in a lions world, and most importantly he isn't focusing on Canada enough.
    This is slightly vague, can you clarify what you mean?

I'm no big fan of Trudeau, to me he is a stuffed shirt just like Harper was and, while slightly better than the Conservatives', many of the Liberal Party policies and attitudes are unpalatable to me.

Politics is not able to deliver on the promises it makes (how could it?) but we have to choose the best option for the time and situation we are in. I think the Conservative stance on getting SNC its deferred prosecution agreement would be "of course of fucking course", right? BECAUSE MUH JERRRBS. Also this shit they were doing in Libya was happening under Conservative rule.

It's so deeply ironic that an Indigenous woman is at the centre of so much controversy around this obscure tradition we inherited from British Westminster parliamentary rules (where the Minister of Justice is both part of the ruling party's cabinet and also, as Attorney General, supposedly making judicial decisions above the fray of party politics). She deserves kudos for sticking to those principles but... like, who actually fucking cared about that before her story leaked to the Globe & Mail? It's just a turned into a media dunking contest now on JT.
    Last edited by botley; 03-07-2019 at 10:32 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    My biggest problem with the fed Liberals is that were voted in with optimism for being different than the past... but they quickly, seemingly, became the old Liberal party. And that won't do.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    What do you guys consider some of the least biased sources for political news in Canada?

Do we have a Politico equivalent?
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 03-18-2019 at 11:28 PM. Reason: grammarz

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Anything not owned by Post Media.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Anything not owned by Post Media.
    I like the Post. Sure they like to shit on the Liberals but I find their reporting to be pretty centrist for the most part.
    The most biased they get are those opinion pieces by Conrad Black... but those pretty much read like satire.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    What do you guys consider some of the least biased sources for political news in Canada?

Do we have a Politico equivalent?
    Politico is VERY biased. Establishment to the hilt.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    I like the Post. Sure they like to shit on the Liberals but I find their reporting to be pretty centrist for the most part.
    The most biased they get are those opinion pieces by Conrad Black... but those pretty much read like satire.
    Their editorial boards, at least in Calgary (owning both the Herald and Sun), are lough out loud joke.

Like this example wherein one of them is telling us about their new friend...

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Politico is VERY biased. Establishment to the hilt.
    Damn it, well this list lied to me! https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/center/

��

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    The Conservative Party of Canada is a bunch of actual crybabies. They were literally yelling over the budget speech in the House of Commons. Unbelievable. This whole thing is broken. I'm disheartened beyond words. We're slowly flushing everything down the toilet.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Not looking forward to the upcoming federal election whatsoever.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    The Conservative Party of Canada is a bunch of actual crybabies. They were literally yelling over the budget speech in the House of Commons. Unbelievable. This whole thing is broken. I'm disheartened beyond words. We're slowly flushing everything down the toilet.
    If it makes you feel any better....it could always be worse.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    If it makes you feel any better....it could always be worse.
    It's going to be worse, that is exactly my point. The PCs of Ontario, UCP of Alberta, and CPC nationally are the Northern equivalents of the Republican party (complete with ties to white nationalists, climate deniers, and anti-choice fundamentalists) and it looks like they will have a lock on, respectively: the most populated province, the most prosperous, and the very country itself shortly.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Woof. Well, I guess I'm sort of glad my partner has kept me from moving there?

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Fucking hell, how many more provinces are going PC?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Fucking hell, how many more provinces are going PC?
    There are two more general elections before the federal one, Newfoundland & Labrador and Northwest Territories, but I don't foresee them flipping to PC (NWT doesn't use a party system in their legislature, for one thing). It's sad because the Prince Edward Island Greens were so close to forming government, but it looks like as usual the centre-left parties split their vote... and the referendum to change from FPTP to MMPR voting also failed again. So heartbreaking, especially since one of their candidates and his young son drowned by accident right on the eve of the election...
    Last edited by botley; 04-24-2019 at 07:10 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Here in Ontario, are tax dollars are now paying for PC party campaign ads.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...ario-gas-pumps

I've also heard a few radio ads that were paid for by the province of Ontario.

Democracy is dead.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    Here in Ontario, are tax dollars are now paying for PC party campaign ads.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...ario-gas-pumps

I've also heard a few radio ads that were paid for by the province of Ontario.

Democracy is dead.
    Ford even wants the gas stations that don't comply with using the dumb stickers to be fined. That's fucking ridiculous!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    In better news, Paul Manly won the by-election in B.C., becoming the second Green Party of Canada MP to be elected there (though not the second to sit in its caucus, as others have crossed the floor to join in the past).

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    https://m.huffingtonpost.ca/amp/entr...0512156f17718/

So......uh..............

So, it would appear our premier is auditioning for a role in the godfather.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I mean, at this point, with ALL of the history that we've seen uncovered, he has gone beyond casting. We gave him the part.

Anyway, as I predicted, the PCs didn't take Newfoundland & Labrador in the provincial election there. It was pretty funny to watch their leader totally melt down over the result, though. Fucking crybaby. Also, how delicious is it when the difference between a minority and majority government is the votes of five fucking people in one district of Labrador?
    Last edited by botley; 05-26-2019 at 08:22 AM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Oh, I was wrong, there was another general election just now in Manitoba. Hmm, could be because it was entirely lost in the shuffle over the summer? Partly because their Premier called a surprise early election this year... maybe to deliberately depress turnout numbers? Anyway, looks like his PCs are holding on to their majority in the provincial Legislative Assembly there, too.

BTW, those gas station sticker thingys in Ontario are going just fine, thanks everybody.
    Last edited by botley; 09-11-2019 at 10:02 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Welcome to the election season.

Let's just hope the conservatives don't win. Come on Maxime Bernier, divide that right!

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

Found on Ontario subreddit, haha take that Doug Ford you fuckin' stooge!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I just remove them, whenever I see them. Straight into the garbage can. Really want to start putting Extinction Rebellion stickers — or maybe these ones — in their place.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    What kind of asshole skips a leadership debate? Pothead Trudeau was just avoiding having to talk about SNC Lavalin. His arrogance and smugness will be his downfall. I can't vote because of technical reasons involving my riding, but if I could then I definitely wouldn't vote Liberal.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ I mean, the other three elected leaders (AND the moderator, for that matter) took the opportunity last night to dunk on him repeatedly for all sorts of other issues besides the SNC scandal, and dear reader: it ruled.

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    I can't vote because of technical reasons involving my riding
    Please explain?
    Last edited by botley; 09-13-2019 at 08:16 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    ^ I mean, the other three elected leaders (AND the moderator, for that matter) took the opportunity last night to dunk on him repeatedly for all sorts of other issues besides the SNC scandal, and dear reader: it ruled.

Please explain?
    you will never get an answer. Better to ignore this weird anti-semite anyway.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

This may swing the election... the question is, which way will it swing it....

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post

This may swing the election... the question is, which way will it swing it....
    It's most certainly a bad thing, and he is taking ownership of it and apologizing for it. He's not making excuses either for himself which is good I think.

It's definitely a bad moment, and something that we shouldn't see in a prime minister. But, I still think I'd rather have him than Sheer, and (sadly) Singh doens't stand a chance. He won't be PM unless he leaves the NDP, the NDP is not going to hold government without a major shift in the country.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Here's his statement.