Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13
Results 361 to 371 of 371

Thread: Canadian Politics

  1. #361
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    613
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    If all that is true, and I'm in no position to say that it isn't, then what's wrong with some empathy? What's wrong with acknowledging phrases like "those people" and "you people" are coded specifically to make others feel less than? The purpose is derogatory. How would such a phrase make one of your immigrant friends feel if it were directed at them?

    As Eskimo said, this isn't about poppies and it's not about "white[s]...speaking freely". It's about giving a shit about other people and how words (yours, mine, and Don Cherry's) have an effect.
    Last edited by cdm; 11-12-2019 at 12:56 PM.

  2. #362
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    555
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Asked:
    How am I racist for observing that?
    Answered:
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    Where I live it's clear who is an immigrant based on their wardrobe and accent.

  3. #363
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,230
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    Fired on Veterans day for standing up for veterans.
    No, he was fired for not apologizing for being racist. If you can't understand that, I'm not sure we can have a productive conversation. But let's ask the question, aside from saying shitty thing about people, what actual work has he done to support veterans? Any free tickets to any local Legions? Or donated funds to charity? Or lobbied politicians for better treatment of veterans?

    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    People are such flakes these days.
    Yeah, like people who get upset at racists being fired...


    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    t's becoming increasingly evident that if you're white then you cannot speak freely, even if it is the truth.
    Ha ha ha, no. People can still say the same shit they've always said just now they are being help accountable. Something long over due.

    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    I love everyone... but it's true that I see almost no "immigrants" wearing poppies.
    Everyone not indigenous is an immigrant to Canada. So, when people say shit like "immigrants" (and seemingly mean just "brown people"), it's very easy to call them racists... because they are.

    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    Many muslims refuse to wear a poppy because they believe WWI was detrimental to the muslim community and supportive of the jewish community etc... their words not mine.
    Got a source for that? Because a lot of Muslims did fight in WW1, as British soliders. Like, 885,000 of them (according the British Legion).

  4. #364
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    [RESTRICTED]
    Posts
    542
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    That is absolutely not racist.


    Saying "that black person will probably steal something" or "whites are all are all lazy meth-heads" or "I hate black people" IS RACIST.


    Saying "I hate christians" or "I hate Germans" or "I hate Africans" IS NOT RACIST!!!! ITS RELIGIOUS & ETHNIC DISCRIMINATION

    Saying "that black guy has a thick Jamaican accent" IS NOT RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    Saying "That woman is in a full Niqāb, she's likely an immigrant" IS NOT RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!



  5. #365
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    555
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    You are wrong, snaapz.

  6. #366
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    [RESTRICTED]
    Posts
    542
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I didn't want this to turn into such a debate, but religion and race are not the same thing. Don cherry has honored every recently fallen Canadian soldier on coaches corner and has flown overseas to visit troops.


    People are very confused on what racism is, what prejudices are, what stereotyping is, and what discrimination is. There are a lot of "white" muslims and "brown" christians. Like seriously why is it so hard for people to understand this? Ironically I think most people are racist for thinking all muslims are brown; which I myself know not to be true but many of you are arguing that all muslims are brown, therefore to say muslims refuse to wear a poppy is equal to saying brown people refuse to wear a poppy.



    Immigration isn't just about race, I am free to stereotype that I will likely never see a white hindu immigrate from Jamaica to Canada with a thick Australian accent and dreadlocks. I will likely see a brother with a good taste in clothes and music with a wicked Jamaican accent and if he is religious then its likely Christianity. That's not racist.



    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post

    Got a source for that? Because a lot of Muslims did fight in WW1, as British soliders. Like, 885,000 of them (according the British Legion).

    Yes I am well aware that the entire world was at war. Here are some snippets, google the rest on your own and discover there is some conflict within the Islamic community with honoring our veterans. In the end Muslims, wonderful people, will support and help anyone in need, but are free to not wear a poppy.



    Firstly, the defeat and eventual dismantling of the Ottoman Empire marked the end of a unified Islamic global power who could protect the lives and honour of the Muslims, and history has shown how the Muslim lands have suffered from this lack of leadership.
    Secondly, the victorious Allied powers introduced new policies into the Muslim lands, amongst them the infamous Sykes-Picot treaty which inspired the destructive division of Islamic land leading to the unstable modern Middle East and all the problems which have originated from it. The Balfour Declaration, which proposed the idea of a Zionist state in Palestine, also emerged in this time – and we have seen the resulting decades of violence and war that has torn this blessed land apart. Such policies could only be introduced because of the destruction of the Ottoman State at the hands of the Allied powers. In short, the First World War stands out as the direct cause of so many of the devastating problems that we see destroying Muslim lands and lives today. I cannot bring myself to celebrate the “victory” which caused these disasters.
    Another reason I am unwilling to support the poppy appeal is the institution of the Armed Forces. The British Army is hardly a golden standard of moral integrity, and there are many examples to demonstrate this. Today, the illegality of the Iraq war (according to UN regulations) is well recognised, as are the atrocities committed by British soldiers during the conflict, not least the systematic brutal torture of Iraqi citizens in British military bases.

    Last edited by snaapz; 11-12-2019 at 01:39 PM.

  7. #367
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,187
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post

    Everyone not indigenous is an immigrant to Canada. .
    Can you clarify this?
    When you say indigenous do you mean first nations?

  8. #368
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    555
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    You're wrong snappz, and on my ignore list now.

  9. #369
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    4,030
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Can you clarify this?
    When you say indigenous do you mean first nations?
    Those indigenous to Canada would include all aboriginal peoples of the First Nations, but also the Métis, and the Inuit.

    When @MrLobster says everyone else is an "immigrant", that very broadly extends the term to include anyone settling on the land today who isn't within those groups. It's fair to say also that people here who are descended from the African diaspora brought to North America during the transatlantic slave trade are in a separate category, as they are not a settler (at least not by choice). Colonialism is as much a part of Canadian history as our participation in wars.

    Anyhow, making prejudiced assumptions about the circumstances under which people (as in the phrase "you people") arrived here, or what symbols they choose to or choose not to display... that's bigotry. Whether it's prejudiced on the basis of race, colour, creed, whatever... it's still bigotry. Stereotype an entire group, and you are behaving as a bigot.

  10. #370
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,187
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Those indigenous to Canada would include all aboriginal peoples of the First Nations, but also the Métis, and the Inuit.

    When @MrLobster says everyone else is an "immigrant", that very broadly extends the term to include anyone settling on the land today who isn't within those groups.
    So some who is a 5th generation Canadian is considered an immigrant? That makes no sense in regards to the dictionary definition of the term. I came here when I was a kid. My family and I are immigrants. Surely there is a difference between us and some who's family has been here for generations no?

    For the record I am happy to see Cherry go and am surprised that it has taken this long. His anti-intellectualism, bigotry, boorish celebration of violence and divisive rhetoric expired a long time ago.

  11. #371
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    4,030
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    So some who is a 5th generation Canadian is considered an immigrant? That makes no sense in regards to the dictionary definition of the term. I came here when I was a kid. My family and I are immigrants. Surely there is a difference between us and some who's family has been here for generations no?
    Yeah, I would say there is a big difference. I'd never deny that, nor would I self-identify as an immigrant. I'm a settler Canadian. My mom's French ancestors were here before Confederation. But the insistence on other-ing "immigrant" vs. "old stock" Canadians is usually just code for bigotry, and these distinctions are rarely as simple as people assume. It's too convenient to say "don't attack new immigrants, because we are ALL immigrants" in a touchy-feely way, and I'll reiterate that I felt it's too broad to use the word that way. Just say "don't be a bigot"!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions