Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian Politics

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I agree. Destroying the IS will just make another mess a few years down the road.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    http://rabble.ca/news/2014/10/olivia...ampaign=buffer
    @botley

Article about Tory's record regarding women. Don't know how you feel about Rabble though

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    I'm not a big fan of either Tory or Chow. They were my third and second choices, respectively, before Sok dropped out. I like Chow's policies better, but she's spineless and doesn't follow through with enough passion or advocate with enough persuasion to accomplish what she says she'll do. At the end of the day, our city council holds the cards, the mayor is just the loudest voice among them. If you want the city to hire more women, vote for a female councillor.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    So we're officially at war. We're sending 6 CF-18 for 6 months (for now). No boots on the ground (for now).
    Harper wouldn't tell the costs of the mission.
    Thank god we can fill this huge military gap left by other nations with our high-tech top of the line CF-18.

I still think this isn't our war to fight but whatever. I guess we need to help cleanup other people's mess.
    Never thought I'd say that but I miss Chrétien. Made the right decision back in 2003 not to get involved.
    http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/topstories/...nths-1.2803575

So the mission could last longer than six months but the gov would have to authorize it.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Soldier shot at War Memorial and shooting at Parliament Hill.

Unconfirmed reports state that the suspect has been shot and killed.

On a related note:

Editorial by Glenn Greenwald following the incident in St-Jean yesterday.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    http://rabble.ca/news/2014/10/olivia...ampaign=buffer
    @botley

Article about Tory's record regarding women. Don't know how you feel about Rabble though

"He was president and CEO of Rogers from 1995 to 2003 and on their board since 2009. Rogers has never been known as a good employer of women..."

I have been working for Rogers for 8 years (cable, in an office, I work directly with male and female co workers, mgt and directors) and I can confirm that the above comment is absolute & complete rubbish. Rogers is very diverse and offers equal opportunity to everyone. Gender, and ethnic background, is not an issue here.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    canada has become a very poorly drawn caricature.
    Last edited by Lew; 10-22-2014 at 01:04 PM. Reason: clarity

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    ... and how did your edit add clarity to your statement?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    "He was president and CEO of Rogers from 1995 to 2003 and on their board since 2009. Rogers has never been known as a good employer of women..."

I have been working for Rogers for 8 years (cable, in an office, I work directly with male and female co workers, mgt and directors) and I can confirm that the above comment is absolute & complete rubbish. Rogers is very diverse and offers equal opportunity to everyone. Gender, and ethnic background, is not an issue here.
    Women in higher positions might be what the author is talking about. Not saying I doubt you one bit. How is diversity higher up in the company?

And yesterday and today have been fucked. Apparently there are other suspects related to the shooting on the lose in Ottawa.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Oh, man, that made me tear up, that singing.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Very nice gesture; very much appreciated up here.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Really nice gesture. Most hockey fans who go to games in the US know the words without the karaoke prompting. It's by far a better song than ours and always played before the games.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Oh, man, that made me tear up, that singing.
    If you have tears, prepare to shed them now. Undoubtedly this is the saddest report I've seen on this whole episode.

EDIT: okay, never mind, I just saw this. I'm out of tears.
    Last edited by botley; 10-23-2014 at 07:32 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    If you have tears, prepare to shed them now. Undoubtedly this is the saddest report I've seen on this whole episode.

Oh, God, me too :-(

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    The voice of reason spoke eloquently in Parliament today, and in this clip before the press.
    Last edited by botley; 10-23-2014 at 11:00 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post

Heartbreaking!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    John Tory began his victory speech results in a flurry of insults on Twitter.
    Minds were blown...

"why is john tory speaking french is this an oral exam?"

"Hey John Tory. This is a municipal election. French is not required."

"Anyone know the strategy behind John Tory starting his victory speech with French?"

Of course people tend to forget that Canada has two official languages.
    Anyhow, is this guy any good? I haven't followed the race closely this time around. More conservative or liberal?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    John Tory began his victory speech results in a flurry of insults on Twitter.
    Minds were blown...

"why is john tory speaking french is this an oral exam?"

"Hey John Tory. This is a municipal election. French is not required."

"Anyone know the strategy behind John Tory starting his victory speech with French?"

Of course people tend to forget that Canada has two official languages.
    Anyhow, is this guy any good? I haven't followed the race closely this time around. More conservative or liberal?

He is more conservative (historically speaking) than liberal but has spoken about supporting some more left leaning initiatives like revitalizing city parks, funding social housing (not much evidence that he is doing anything new apart from pledging funding that the city already committed to), arts&culture, expanding bike lanes in the city, environment (proposed to create some kind of city advisory board) but most of these initiatives have not been backed up in terms of how/who is going to pay for it. He has mentioned the need for reform in police services but his 2003 mayoral platform included hiring more cops, outlawing pan handling and giving them more access to dna samples... but 2003 had less attention on the topic of cops needlessly killing people.

The one thing that he has been pretty vague about is the possible expansion of the island airport. I sincerely hope that this doesn't happen especially since the plan to create a reliable rail system to shuttle to and from Pearson.

It is to be seen what is going to happen with him at the helm but a lot of people in this city would have voted for an inanimate carbon rod if it meant getting the Ford's out of the big seat.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    His transit plan is moronic, but you're right, Ford's was worse.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Any one been following at all the newest Ford Clan member to get into politics? Michael "mikey" Ford?

I don't know too much about him apart the fact that he is young.

The reason I mention him is because he reminds me of Chaz Bono. I think that he might be one of those XXY double chromosome males.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I just realized I'm posting more in the US political thread than the Canadian one.
    I don't want to let this thread die.

We're having our share of interesting stories too. Starting with the federal budget being pushed back.
    After announcing a surplus, every signs are now pointing to a small deficit. It's sad that our economy relies so much on oil.
    Oh well, I guess Harper is gonna have to find some new arguments to seduce the electoral vote come October. The game has changed.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Harper set the table with Bill C-51.
    Government directives have been issued and we're seeing the first result.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle23019252/

"The RCMP has labelled the “anti-petroleum” movement as a growing and violent threat to Canada’s security".

With the anti-terrorist bill, environmentalist will now be watched and monitored because RCMP has labeled them as a threat to national security.
    How long until Unions are put on that list?

This is some scary stuff. RCMP following government's lines on the enemy of the day.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    well, not about canadian politics per se...but he is canadian and i think his blog is fabulous.

https://marknesop.wordpress.com/

and this one, too...

http://vineyardsaker.blogspot.ca/

interesting reads, both of them.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I've been thinking about starting a blog too. Not just about politics though. Still going through ideas.

I'll give those two a read for sur.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    The stupidest comment of the week goes to a Canadian politician. In fact, he's the Saguenay Lac St-Jean mayor in Quebec.

During a radio interview, he said the following about the citizen of his town.
    "People are working like niggers"
    "Oh sorry, I should not have said that"
    'What I meant is, you know, black people work harder. They get paid less and they work really hard. That's what I meant".

Yes it sounds as bad is it is.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    https://marknesop.wordpress.com/2015...ood/#more-3307

ahahahahahahahahahahaha. i just died laughing, then resurrected myself for a read through the comments. died laughing again.
    i do love that blog so.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Spring is here. Time to get out and March against the attack on civil liberties that is Bill C-51.

http://we.leadnow.ca/stopc51