Thread: Canadian Politics

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post

Everyone not indigenous is an immigrant to Canada. .
    Can you clarify this?
    When you say indigenous do you mean first nations?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Can you clarify this?
    When you say indigenous do you mean first nations?
    Those indigenous to Canada would include all aboriginal peoples of the First Nations, but also the Métis, and the Inuit.

When @MrLobster says everyone else is an "immigrant", that very broadly extends the term to include anyone settling on the land today who isn't within those groups. It's fair to say also that people here who are descended from the African diaspora brought to North America during the transatlantic slave trade are in a separate category, as they are not a settler (at least not by choice). Colonialism is as much a part of Canadian history as our participation in wars.

Anyhow, making prejudiced assumptions about the circumstances under which people (as in the phrase "you people") arrived here, or what symbols they choose to or choose not to display... that's bigotry. Whether it's prejudiced on the basis of race, colour, creed, whatever... it's still bigotry. Stereotype an entire group, and you are behaving as a bigot.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Those indigenous to Canada would include all aboriginal peoples of the First Nations, but also the Métis, and the Inuit.

When @MrLobster says everyone else is an "immigrant", that very broadly extends the term to include anyone settling on the land today who isn't within those groups.
    So some who is a 5th generation Canadian is considered an immigrant? That makes no sense in regards to the dictionary definition of the term. I came here when I was a kid. My family and I are immigrants. Surely there is a difference between us and some who's family has been here for generations no?

For the record I am happy to see Cherry go and am surprised that it has taken this long. His anti-intellectualism, bigotry, boorish celebration of violence and divisive rhetoric expired a long time ago.