Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian Politics

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Looks like Ford is backing down on this one:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...tity-1.4911524

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Big protest going down in Calgary, Alberta during Trudeau's visit.

They're all mad because of their precious oil industry is on life support.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Can y'all take back Gavin McInnes's non-chin having ass? plzkthx

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Only if we can beat his ass

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Only if we can beat his ass
    according to his "logic", this might be what he wants. He thinks fighting is cool.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    he can dish it out but he can't take it
    got put on a FBI list, steps down immediately like the coward he is

people like him should remember the saying "live by the sword, die by the sword"
    you put that energy into the world, it's going to come bite you
    Heather Heyer's blood is on his hands too, Proud Boys were at Charlottesville: https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-h...oup/proud-boys

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    So today they’re supposed to make a decision re. Back to work legislation to stop the Canada Post rotating atrike that has been going on for a month or so.

What are your views on this?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    ^ I have a few views.

1) I am surprised that CUPW would slap their biggest clients in the face at the most crucial time of the year. Amazon, Wal-Mart, EBay.... all pay the bills. Canada Post parcel segment is earning revenue and that's thanks to online vendors. Parcel delivery is saving Canada Post. So why would CUPW pick now, the most crucial time of the year for Amazon. Amazon has likely lost hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions in loss due to people saying "Wal Mart it is this year due to the strike"

What a terrible way to treat your biggest clients, and not to mention the risk of Amazon saying "you know, CUPW has been on strike over 20 or 30 times since the late 60's; and they threaten strike every year... Amazon cannot operate like this, we need to find a new carrier. So long Canada Post.

2) I cannot believe what we have become. "Canada Post has ruined Christmas". I won't even rant about how shitty of a society we are becoming and how Christmas has lost all meaning.

3) Once and for all I think the Gov. should NOT force CUPW back to work... let them figure it out once and for all, even if it takes years. Canada Post knows they can sit back, offer nothing substantial, and wait for gov to force CUPW back to work. Harper didn't even hesitate (wait 4+ weeks) he did it like 1 week into the strike. Let them strike it out once and for all. Vendors will find new carrier and new contracts.

SEE.... RIGHT NOW IF I WAS the owner of 'Intelcom Express' I would be offering Amazon a big new contract, I would hire 500 new drivers and build my company to become Amazons dependablecarrier, who will not threaten to strike every year.

4) Most importantly what a disgrace, forcing workers back to work. This strike has to do with many things, one major issue is carriers health and safety. The GOV is saying parcel delivery is more important than your safety.

5th) I freaking hate unions. Hire a lawyer, not a crappy union leader who hasn't done much. Or don't apply for a job you hate. You walk letters and parcels door to door, winter sucks, its part of the job.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I was really confused by some of what I was hearing on the news about the delays. My girlfriend is talking that she won't order anything online for Christmas because she's pretty sure it won't be delivered before then. But, I ordered some things from amazon on the 19th, they shipped on the 20th and were delivered on the 21st, and that was with just whatever the free shipping non-prime default they gave was. It was delivered faster than promised.

Also, the company I work for receives daily Canada Post shipments from our head office. There were a few times when we received things a day later than expected, but the delays haven't been substantial at all.

It looks like the back-to-work legislation has passed. I don't support that, and I'm not a fan of the government ending a strike unless there is an urgent, essential need, and I'm just not seeing the urgency in this.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Canada Post has been delivering my mail every 2 days or so. All Amazon packages are handed to me by Intelcom Express, who will likely benefit from CUPWs strike.

1.5 weeks ago (in the midst of the strike) I ordered 3 gift cards from Great Wolf Lodge (Niagara Falls); 3 days later the envelope was in my London (ON) mailbox; delivered by Canada Post. Fast!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've ordered piles of shit from around the world since the strike started.

Pretty much everything has come just as speedy as normal. There have been a few times things were a bit late due to the strike, but it was utterly negligible. Maybe a day or two.

I feel like a lot of the complaints are for the sake of being dramatic. Which is basically everything ever lately, so wtf ever anyways.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    https://globalnews.ca/news/4704304/c...-disobedience/

November 27, 2018 5:51 pm

"Delivery backlogs to continue as Canada Post union calls for ‘civil disobedience’"

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW) is warning officials to expect “non-violent civil disobedience

---------------------------

I get the crusade... they want change... but they are pissing off both Canadians and a lot of high stake clients (Amazon, Ebay, Walmart) - CUPW is inflicting irreversible damage and loss of clients to UPS and other carriers.

Why don't CUPWs just quit and get a job with UPS, FedEX, Canpar.........

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    Why don't CUPWs just quit and get a job with UPS, FedEX, Canpar.........
    Workers rights aren't protected by people quitting their jobs.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    What rights? They make it sound like there is no job security, no pay equality (welcome to earth), insufficient funds for H&S, poor pay, and shitty working conditions.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    What rights? They make it sound like there is no job security, no pay equality (welcome to earth), insufficient funds for H&S, poor pay, and shitty working conditions.
    Well, yeah. In many cases (particularly rural areas where Canada Post is just about the ONLY game in town), they are facing those. And the Crown corporation controlling those things wants to claw even more of this stuff away from them. Wouldn't you stand up with your fellow workers and say "um, no, actually, I'd like those things" if you had the chance to win them back? Would you not also be royally pissed if the government THAT YOU ALSO PAY TAXES TO FUND passed legislation saying "shut up and take what we give you"? PARTICULARLY if that government had campaigned on a platform of ending planned layoffs to your workforce?

Myself, I'd be pretty pissed off. And I'd want a piece of those $100 million dollars (give-or-take) in annual net profits, which the Crown corporation literally earned on my back.
    Last edited by botley; 11-29-2018 at 02:48 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I do think the GOV should have, once and for all, not stepped in and let this play out; but really... whats the outcome.... Six months pass and the GOV would have to bail out CP because they would not be generating the multi millions necessary to sustain, run, and operate a business.

But on the other hand like you say, small towns where CP is the only option... it's not fair to the citizens who depend on mail/parcel delivery. We may end up with smaller businesses in the red who cannot ship out their orders or afford to use UPS.

Man I dono... I really don't. There are 100's of pros and cons. I'm on the fence.

1. Screw you CUPW get back to work, break your back, don't spend time with your family (work over time), deliver these parcels. https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-...9DxPi49wiw0Ioo

2. Screw you Canada, kids who wont get gifts, people waiting on cheques/money, entrepreneurs.... We are CUPW we do get paid over time, we have benefits and a lot at our disposal. But we want more and we will screw everyone over until we get more ; not open to any other methods of negotiation anymore.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I really do think you're exaggerating the issues.

What we're looking at is the possibility of small delays being exaggerated. At least that's what I believe.

I think the biggest victims in this would be the online retailers. They'd be victims of the exaggerated problem impacting public perception about whether or not they'd receive their Christmas gifts on time.

In reality, the amount of time that an actual delay was created was small. But it's been exaggerated enough to stop people from buying online.

I think they should have let the strike continue. Let the workers fight for their rights.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Not exaggerating. POST leads disabling injury rates, and they are being forced, by law, back to work with no resolution.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/health-safety/reports/statistical-2014.html?fbclid=IwAR1GD9OGiNv81XU3pwkO8-BhWHj9C1JxgBZGXu5QopIjY9DxPi49wiw0Ioo

Chart 1.4 Disabling injury incidence rate (DIIR), by federal jurisdiction industry sector, 2014

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Sorry I wasn't clear, it's the delays in the mail delivery that I think were being exaggerated, not the injury rates.

It was the part about kids not getting gifts, and people waiting on cheques that I was responding to. It almost sounded like you were saying that CUPW was screwing the entire country to get what they want, when I think they were mildly inconveniencing people.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Anyone see this meme going around on Facebook? I couldn't roll my eyes hard enough.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Don't mean to double post, what's all this about SNC-Lavalin and the PM? @botley are you up on this at all?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Don't mean to double post, what's all this about SNC-Lavalin and the PM? @botley are you up on this at all?
    Most of the time when I hear about controversy with our PM, I just assume that conservatives are still just mad that he exists and has nice hair.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I think there's possibly slightly more to it than that, but in this case howls from the Conservative Party about justice being disserved are pretty rich. Weren't a few of their former appointees under criminal investigation? How soon we forget. Harper had cabinet ministers land in prison, and his PM office staffers too... Senate appointees breaking rules and leaving politics in disgrace. Painting themselves as vanguards of righteousness is LAUGHABLE, MAN. HA.
    Last edited by botley; 02-08-2019 at 08:25 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I've just read this:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sin...deau-1.5011029

It's got a bit of background.

If I understand the article correctly, I can put this much together:

Facts
    ????- At some point (although it's unclear when), SNC-Lavalin has donated to the Liberal party, and it appears some of those donations may have been illegal.
    2015- The RCMP charges SNC-Lavalin with bribery and corruption surrounding some business dealings in Libya. SNC-Lavalin begins lobbying for an amendment to the criminal code to allow for negotiating a "remediation agreement" instead of a normal criminal prosecution. These remediation agreements are standard in the USA and in the UK.
    2018- Trudeau's office includes the amendment in their new budget making the remediation agreements a possibility.
    Oct2018 - The director of public prosecutions indicates she believes that a "remediation agreement" would be inappropriate in this case. Sometime shortly afterwards, the former attorney general was moved from her job in what many consider a demotion.

Allegations
    It's alleged that the Prime Ministers office was pressuring the attorney general to convince the director of public prosecutions to pursue a remediation agreement in this case, and that she was shuffled out of her position for refusing to do so.

Editorial
    I've always found the liberals to be kind of average....not great, but not terrible. This kind of fits with that. The amendment to the law isn't anything crazy, but it's benefit to a corporation VS it's benefit to the country are very debatable. SNC-Lavalin is a major employer in Quebec, having them not hamstrung with a criminal charge over their wrongdoing could be beneficial for the economy, but also, we're letting them off easy for their crimes.

It's a pretty right-wing thing to do, and I'm not crazy about it, but it doesn't scream corruption to me. It screams Conservatives calling out the Liberals for doing what the Conservatives do regularly.

I support an ethics investigation into this, but I wouldn't go voting for the conservatives on account of it either.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Yeah, until there's an investigation all we have vis-a-vis Trudeau's PMO instructing/pressuring the former AG is hearsay. Which the Conservatives have no problem spinning into outrage and (hypocritical) indignation.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

Hmmm.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Throw her under the bus all you want, Trudeau, she's not going anywhere. A group of academics have responded to the way she was treated this week as all too "familiar to many women" and, one can surmise, particularly to women of colour. Another truly embarrassing spectacle from Ottawa's political meat grinder.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I do not follow politics very closely, I generally vote conservative, but I am disheartened at how things turned out for our PM Justin... I had high hopes.

I feel like he had good intentions and wanted to shift Canada and the world to be a more accepting and equal way of living for everyone, while opening our doors to people and families in need when racist and prejudice Canadians were yelling and spitting at him to not allow immigration.

But he just doesn't seem fit for the job, he never answers questions, he appears to be more of a sheep in a lions world, and most importantly he isn't focusing on Canada enough.

Oh and plus all this SNC political stuff.

Also, not sure why but I don't like Sheer.

I'm not sure what to do at the next vote....

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Also, not sure why but I don't like Sheer.

Let's start with the fact that he has the personality of a potato.