Page 75 of 86 FirstFirst ... 25 65 73 74 75 76 77 85 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,250 of 2580

Thread: General Police Misconduct aka Murdering Black People

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    And, we've got another killing:
    Rayshard Brooks, a black man killed by white officers in ATL, at a Wendy's.

Looks like the officers have been fired and the police chief has resigned.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rayshar...lice-protests/
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-14-2020 at 06:54 AM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

General Police Misconduct aka Murdering Black People

Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    And, we've got another killing:
    Rayshard Brooks, a black man killed by white officers in ATL, at a Wendy's.

Looks like the officers have been fired and the police chief has resigned.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rayshar...lice-protests/
    the wendy’s was set on fire last night and there was a drive by shooting at a protest where an 11 year old was killed. things were starting to settle down here and now all this has happened in just two days.

edit: if you search quanatl on instagram, they’ve got a few videos up in their stories of the wendy’s right before it went up in flames.

edit2: the drive by shooting wasn’t at a protest but a few blocks away at a private gathering.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    the wendy’s was set on fire last night and there was a drive by shooting at a protest where an 11 year old was killed. things were starting to settle down here and now all this has happened in just two days.

edit: if you search quanatl on instagram, they’ve got a few videos up in their stories of the wendy’s right before it went up in flames.
    Oh hell. You're an ATLien?

But yeah, jesus. The thing looks pretty fucking rough.

There was also new body cam footage released from a 2019 police shooting.

It just goes on and on.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    grifters gonna grift I guess?

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    The cops in NYC are now pretending that fast food workers are poisoning them to get sympathy. Because if anyone needs more stress in their lives, it's definitely fucking Shake Shack employees.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    It's not that I personally give two shits about NASCAR, but...come on guys, you were doing so well!

NASCAR unveils Blue Lives Matter car.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    The cops in NYC are now pretending that fast food workers are poisoning them to get sympathy. Because if anyone needs more stress in their lives, it's definitely fucking Shake Shack
    What the fuck. WHAT THE FUCK?!

How can someone THINK THIS?

Their power trip is so fucking huge that they think fast food workers are willing to commit murder to remove it? Their “Us vs. Them” bullshit wasn’t OBVIOUS ENOUGH, so now the police union issues MEMOS to prove it.

@Sarah K - will this be meaningful?
    Last edited by allegro; 06-16-2020 at 11:52 AM.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I think it depends on a lot of factors. I think any reduction in plainclothes officers is positive but there are a lot of buts, especially with NYPD.

One of the biggest red flags for me is the discussion of "school detective roles." Because what in the absolute FUCK does that mean? The lifelong institutionalization of people from education into incarceration is almost entirely fueled by School Resource Officers and their criminalizing of children acting like children. What was once solved by a discussion or detention is now a criminal case. And as is the case with adults, once you enter the juvenile CJ system, it verges on impossible to escape. Even if an administrator does not want a child to face charges for something, the SRO has the authority to override them. When the SRO program really picked up in the 90s, the roles were intended to utilize a four-pronged approach and the time was to be split evenly between advising/policy development, teaching/mentoring, presence at school events, and law enforcement activities. But in reality, they spend the vast, VAST majority of their time on law enforcement, of course. The SRO program is an absolute shitshow, so I cannot even fathom the fuckery that would come from a "school detective."

In theory, community based policing is a good strategy under the current structure of law enforcement, as it emphasizes long-term relationship building between officers and the communities that they serve. A big barrier with that in NYC is that so many (white) cops come from Long Island or upstate and they are anything *but* trusted community members. In most cities, students are assigned a school based on what neighborhood they live in. This is not what happens in NYC where even public school admissions are extremely competitive starting in middle school. Usually the problems that exist in a school environment are reflective of those in the neighborhood. So in theory, community-based policing could eliminate SROs because if the social needs of the community are being met, then so are the needs of the schools and the students who attend them. But again, shit is just different in NYC.

There are a lot of additional factors here - funding, sorting, tracking students based on race and disability and using SROs to remove those children from the standardized testing accountability subset, criminalizing race and poverty, etc. While I'm interested in a lot of areas re: police oversight, this is my absolute top area of interest and what I'm trying to focus on long-term - the intersection of education policy and policing policies. There is little to no research on the SRO program, and I am trying to change that.

Cutting NYPD's budget by a billion is fucking great and I hope with everything that it actually happens. But to loop back into the SRO thing, the DOJ's guide on establishing an SRO program mentions something that I think it relevant here. The DOJ provides grants to establish and help sustain SRO programs for three years, but encourages districts to not be worried about funding the program once those grants end, because any effort to reduce policing is met with widespread public resistance. Historically, any mention of reducing policing or their funding was an *extremely* risky move for politicians. So I guess we're about to find out just how serious people are.

I'm also REALLY pumped for the repeal of 50-a, which is something I've been personally involved in for a the last couple of years since I started doing research on the CCRB. But want to see how it is handled before I'm too optimistic. While there are a lot of things holding back the CCRB, 50-a plays a huge part in that.

The BWC thing really only matters if it is an independent person prosecuting officers - NOT the DA. But even then, you have the hurdle of the public hesitant to convict officers, BWC footage be damned.

Tl;dr - I'm cautiously optimistic about much of it, but there is also a lot of really vague language that I need to look into further before I get really excited.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    @Sarah K - Thank you, that was really informative.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    "Hey Siri, I'm getting pulled over" New app that automatically turns on your video recording. What a world.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/17/2...ecording-video

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Getting a very bad feeling about the >3 "suicides" (lynchings) in the past two weeks... KKKops taking revenge?

https://www.bet.com/news/national/20...ctorville.html

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    3 "suicides" by hanging in public? Yeah ok.

The klan is at it again. Hell, they probably wish they could have public gatherings while doing it too.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Getting a very bad feeling about the >3 "suicides" (lynchings) in the past two weeks... KKKops taking revenge?

https://www.bet.com/news/national/20...ctorville.html
    https://www.ajc.com/news/people-colo...vRYn4Zqw0f1gL/

Six lynchings, one a minor.

As is being said on Twitter: Black people don’t hang themselves.

Last edited by allegro; 06-17-2020 at 01:36 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    not sure where to put this, but I thought this would be an approrpriate place. as I'm reading the Watchmen graphic novel (no spoilers! only on chapter 4) there is a panel of a protest with super relevant, eerie even signs being held by protesters in the crowd (the book was from the mid 80's ) :

"give us our police back!"
    and
    "badges, not masks! "

I understand the meaning behind the signs in the book, but given that I'm reading it during these current times, yeah it sent shivers down my spine for a second.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    "badges, not masks! "
    Think about this statement in relation to the HBO series too.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    This guy rules

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Jesus. My Dad was a double amputee. This is so beyond fucked up. Omg.

Those protesters who fought through mace to get that guy’s legs back are heroes. Prosthetic legs are custom-made and expensive and replacements aren’t covered by insurance or Medicare/Medicaid.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    This is so horrible

Last edited by allegro; 06-22-2020 at 02:52 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    And why did they take his LEGS?!?!?

Meanwhile...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    I guess I'd be at least curious about anyone of any persuasion wearing a ski mask in August. Sure. And that's where anything sensible stops here.

I don't understand why anyone ever keeps sitting on a person after they've been restrained. Anyone able to clear that up for me?
    I used to be a RN working in adult mental health in the UK. We were trained to restrain. We were trained to use the minimum restraint and release as soon as possible. Not one member of staff wanted to restrain, we all felt uncomfortable doing it and it was only ever employed if someone was going to hurt themselves or somebody else. It was a last resort.
    The safety of the person being restrained was paramount. Maintaining their airway, restraining so that there were no soft tissue injuries or broken bones.
    There are differences for police officers but even then I know of no reason why the holds continue for so long in these circumstances. Once compliant the person should be released and other interventions used to deal with the situation.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    This just appeared on my recommended and was a breath of fresh air.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    The Shake Shack H O A X is even worse than it originally sounded. The New York Post basically posts erotic NYPD fan-fiction and alt-right propaganda every day. So if The Fucking Post is debunking this, you know it's wild.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/202...hack-debunking

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Officer fired in shooting death of Breonna Taylor

Only took three months and, oh yeah, charge him with FUCKING MURDER.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    They broke his wrist, but whoops wrong guy.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)