Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Nirvana

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    File this is the 'random' section, but on my walk to London Bridge along Embankment you get a lot of buskers doing their thing, some great, others good, rarely anything bad. Anyway yesterday some dude was playing Nirvana Come as You Are which...if your after tips is a bit of an odd choice. He was doing a pretty solid Cobain impression with a heavy distorted guitar...but he also had a friend providing support on bongo drums which was very odd.
    It's not the weirdest thing i've seen in London...but it was odd.
    have you met the johnny cash guy on the tube yet (usually on northern line trains in the early weekend evenings)? He can do cashed up nirvana, it's pretty good

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    have you met the johnny cash guy on the tube yet (usually on northern line trains in the early weekend evenings)? He can do cashed up nirvana, it's pretty good
    I don't tend to use the tube in London, if i can walk it i will (i currently walk from London Bridge to Kings Cross everyday) so i don't think i'll catch this guy.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
    I think it sounded amazing to see them out playing such great music which changed a generation. There will be nothing like that ever again, in this digital age. I'm so lucky to have lived through it as a teenager when everything just exploded in the early 90's.

Dave Grohl is unique and has done a lot to keeping great music alive, if you don't like how he sings or not a fan of his other work fine, yes Kurt was Nirvana but it was nothing without Dave and Krist as well. I just wish we got a chance to hear more music from them.
    Dave and Krist could have been Peter and Johnny, or Manuel and Igor, and we would have still got Nirvana.

It was so powerful and short-lived... I wish Kurt’s idea of working with Stipe had materialized, or any musical endeavour of his... we missed out big time.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
    yes Kurt was Nirvana but it was nothing without Dave and Krist as well..
    Kurt didnt need either one. Dave was a drummer boy who contributed nothing. Kurt wanted J Mascis to be the drummer. If J joined in 1990 (when he was asked) Nevermind and In Utero would have been just as great, if not better.....Krist contributed nothing except telling stupid jokes mid concert to try and break up the tension....

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Krist contributed nothing except telling stupid jokes mid concert to try and break up the tension....
    And bass.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    dave and kris brought something to the table, but you can listen to cobain only demos and they are unmistakably nirvana

In dave's defence, what's the first thing that plays in your mind when you think of scentless apprentice

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Never saw this before. Guess it was supposed to be a music video for the song since the audio here is actually the album version. 30 years ago...sheesh. Talk about simpler times.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post

Never saw this before. Guess it was supposed to be a music video for the song since the audio here is actually the album version. 30 years ago...sheesh. Talk about simpler times.
    Now I wanna go and listen to Bleach

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    25 years. Where did time go?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    25 years. Where did time go?
    I was in the 8th grade. Couldn't believe it.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I was at work. My (now late) best friend called to tell me. I’d just seen them live at the Aragon in October, 2nd show, the one that was awful with awful sound that made Kurt pretty upset.

The shittiest show on the tour.

The Rome thing was upsetting to most of us, we knew what he did.

When my friend called, I wasn’t shocked.

Frances posted this the other day.

She also posted this: “Needing help is not a weakness” – Frances Bean Cobain

Last edited by allegro; 04-07-2019 at 01:59 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Just listened to MTV Unplugged yesterday. What a great, timeless album.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    It's still amazing to think about how they turned a gimmicky format into a showcase for how much they could transcend the box they were put into. It's a tragedy we never got to see more of what they could do.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I was in I believe 3rd or 4th grade, but I was a fan of the music. I remember it happening, but not getting it. The cool 8th graders in the school had shirts with his face on it and the year he was born to 1994. they were all crying. something I'll never forget.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    One of the most underrated songs. I would have loved to seen them perform this during the In Utero era when they had Pat in the band.

Nirvana was the first band that felt like my band. I'm a huge fan. I was young and loved them.

Then a couple of years later I fell in love with The Prodigy and they took me through the following years.

Yup, pretty much had shit luck with the bands I love

R.I.P. Kurt
    R.I.P. Keith

Even crazier, one of The Prodigy's hit songs Voodoo People samples Nirvana's Very Ape. Dave Grohl became good friends with The Prodigy and would hang out with them at festivals. He is featured in their autobiography too. Dave would later drum on their track Run With The Wolves and Stand Up.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

'Dave came in the changing room this time and we obviously knew who he was," says Liam. 'Anyway, he goes, "I really liked your album, especially where you sampled Nirvana." Leeroy was like going, "W-w-w-ummm-wo..." He was just gobsmacked.'

'He was like some guilty boy being interviewed by the old bill," adds Keith. 'I was like, "Ask Liam about it."'

Amazingly, however, none of the remaining members of Nirvana, nor Corbain's estate, have ever attempted to get a writing credit or royalty payment on 'Voodoo People'. Indeed, such was his admiration for the band that, in an interview with Melody Maker in early 1997, Grohl spent almost half of the allocated time with journalist Victoria Segal passionately raving about The Prodigy. Furthermore, The Foo Fighters (the band Grohl formed following Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain's suicide) ended up playing support at numerous festivals throughout 1996 and 1997 and Dave Grohl became a regular figure dancing in the wings during The Prodigy's shows.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

A funny clip of Grohl expressing his love for The Prodigy...

There's another story in the book about Dave Grohl climbing a speaker stack with the book's writer to get a better view of the band and being grabbed by security.
    Last edited by neorev; 04-07-2019 at 05:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow, is this from the pre-Bleach era or what? Sounds vintage to me.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

At this point, I would honestly love a Nirvana reunion tour with Annie filling in for Kurt.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Not the best cover.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I thought this was a legit parody... What in the fuck.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I can understand where he wanted to go with this, but... wow! I'm with the bass player on this one: wtf?!

Thought he was sober for a few years now. And I actually do like a couple of their songs.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    You know, if the singer wasn't trying sooo hard to sound, IDK, edgy or emotional, it would be an okay but not great cover--passable. But this? This wasn't live, they actually reviewed this and were like "okay, that's a wrap. Let's put it out on the Internet."
    Last edited by GulDukat; 04-21-2020 at 03:45 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    You know, if the singer wasn't trying sooo hard to sound, IDK, edgy or emotional, it would be an okay but not great cover--passable. But this? This wasn't live, they actually reviewed this and we're like "okay, that's a wrap. Let's put it out on the Internet."
    I actually think it would be a dam good cover if he just used his range like in other POM songs I do enjoy.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Between Limp Bizkit covering Kurt and now this guy. Its such a travesty that the exact type of bands Kurt despised are "honoring" him with cover songs

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    More like Puddle Of Dud.

(Admittedly not my best material.)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    I don't understand why people are so shocked by this. Muddle of Pudd has been ripping off Nirvana for the past quarter-century, at least. FFS, that "Head Over Heel" video they did at their peak, the singer guy was dressed up exactly like Kurt in the Teen Spirit video. Youtube that shit; he's not even trying to hide it..

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    I don't understand why people are so shocked by this. Muddle of Pudd has been ripping off Nirvana for the past quarter-century, at least. FFS, that "Head Over Heel" video they did at their peak, the singer guy was dressed up exactly like Kurt in the Teen Spirit video. Youtube that shit; he's not even trying to hide it..

75% Nirvana, 25% STP, with the Weiland-esque harmonies/phrasing. 100% mediocre.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Really shouldn't have listened to that Puddle of Mudd cover. I can't hear the original now without thinking about it.
    This may have ruined the song for me.