Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Nirvana

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I finally checked out Soaked In Bleach. No way was that a suicide. At least he sure as hell didn't pull the trigger.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    I finally checked out Soaked In Bleach. No way was that a suicide. At least he sure as hell didn't pull the trigger.
    I'd recommend not watching the History Channel. You'll be convinced that aliens constructed the pyramids.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I'd recommend not watching the History Channel. You'll be convinced that aliens constructed the pyramids.
    Apples to oranges. Maybe I came on too strong saying I'm absolutely convinced there was foul play involved. Honestly, I just don't see how anyone with that amount of heroin in their blood is operating a shotgun. It seemed clear to me though that there should have at least been more of an investigation into his death.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    Apples to oranges. Maybe I came on too strong saying I'm absolutely convinced there was foul play involved. Honestly, I just don't see how anyone with that amount of heroin in their blood is operating a shotgun. It seemed clear to me though that there should have at least been more of an investigation into his death.
    Yes, the police horribly mishandled that case. I'm sorry, but there are still issues with what happened. I still don't believe the entire story. Even the head of police back then is saying it was handled poorly and should be independently reopened and reviewed. I think there was much more going on. The official story does not add up when you look at the whole picture. The suicide note itself is the biggest red flag. But sadly people have a way of dismissing people who are drug addicts.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    He had a sky high tolerance... if we accept tolerance exists then the idea he had too much in him to function totally falls apart.

As for the weird aspects of the investigation... call me cynical but cops going slapdash with the suicide of a junkie doesn't strike me as suspicious

I feel distasteful and uninformed commenting on the personal relationships of people I don't know, but I can't imagine Courtney making anyone's state of mind any better, especially when she was younger

Just doesn't seem fishy to me, and at the end of the day why would the cops cover up for her

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Exactly. Considering that CL and KC had once (temporarily) lost custody of their child due to heroin use ("Vanity Fair" incident), and the cops were LOOKING for KC because KC's Mom had filed a missing person report because he was suicidal and missing, there was a "history" there and the PD had no reason to dismiss a case if they even a tiny hint of foul play or a simple accidental overdose being covered up, etc. But with heroin, tolerance builds up and you eventually require a HELL of a lot of drugs. KC was ODing all the time, CL used to carry Narcan injections in her purse. NONE of us were all that shocked by this (not after Rome with KC in a coma); the suicide note wasn't fishy to us at all, it sounded exactly like KC. He was a complicated dude. When you consider how much trouble he went through in Rome (individually breaking into a SHITLOAD of blister packets), he found the easier and quicker way in Seattle. All the shit people are seeing now is conspiracy theory crap, courtesy of people trying to make money off of it.

See this article from back then.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-23-2016 at 12:58 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Kurt would have turned 50 yesterday, Feb 20.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Kurt would have turned 50 yesterday, Feb 20.
    There was a great "rare last interview" with him on the watchmojo.com YouTube channel. I will find a link.
    Speaking of not being surprised when he died: I was SO sure he was dead in Rome that i convinced my middle school principal to announce it over the loudspeaker, that he was dead in Rome. I also remember watching the MTV unplugged when it aired and my best friend at the time saying "oh my God! This is a swan song! This is a suicide note!"

regarding the conspiracy theory, i was so sickened by that Kurt and Courtney doc. There wasn't a shred of evidence and I refused to watch anything by that filmmaker ever again.
    As for the 'too much heroin to operate a shotgun bullshit, " as a longtime opiate addict and ex heroin addict, i can tell you first hand that, with the right tolerance, you can do all kinds of shit on ridiculous amounts of opiates. Fentanyl is the strongest opiate and is most commonly available in the form of a transdermal patch that is worn for 72 hours. The 100 microgram per hour patch is the strongest available.this stuff is many times stronger than heroin. It's most often prescribed for terminal cancer.
    I used two cut a couple of them open and put all the gel into my MOUTH. Taken in that way, that amount of dope could kill twenty low tolerance people at least. As for me, i liked to do that and then drive around town.

But there is one thing that creeped me out about Soaked in Bleach: the last few lines of the suicide note look like they were added later, and Courtney's handwriting practice sheet. I've tried so hard to push it out of my mind. I REALLY don't want Kurdt to have been murdered.

Also, while I'm at it, Montage of Heck (the movie) was fucking awesome. Kurt intended for his journals to be read and they make for a fascinating read. And Kurt rolled over in his grave when the absurdly expensive In Utero edition was released. unnecessarily remastered tracks that were GODDAMN sure not better than the original, the album, and a concert we already had, for like $100 or some shit, right? THAT shit is what made Kurt roll over in his grave.
    Last edited by elevenism; 02-22-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Probably the first rock band I got into. Will always hold a special place in my heart and sometimes I wonder what could have been if Kurt didn't end up in such a dark place.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    @elevenism , the suicide note has been examined by document experts who believe that all of it is in Kurt's handwriting and that all but the last few lines (note "for" circled in the above and lower sections in that photo to indicate that the handwriting is the same) were carefully written in advance and the last portions were written at the scene while Kurt was high on Valium and heroin; the note was found in a planter in the greenhouse with a pen stuck through it, affixing it to the dirt in the planter. The date of death was determined to be 3 days before Kurt was found, when Courtney was in a rehab facility. The photos of the scene released a few years ago show Kurt's left arm with the hospital ID tag still on his wrist from the rehab facility where he had been before he left by climbing a six-foot wall. The electrician who found Kurt's body said at first he thought Kurt was sleeping until he saw a little blood coming from Kurt's ear and the shotgun resting below his chin; experts have indicated that the lack of copious blood at the scene is not unusual when a suicide victim puts the gun into his/her mouth.

He'd be rolling over in his ashes since his ashes were scattered in several locations including McClane Creek.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-21-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @allegro have you read Heavier Than Heaven?
    The ending gets kind of speculative which prompted more murder conspiracy bullshit (there are details that no one could have possibly had but Kurt) but despite this poor decision on the part of the writer, it's an amazing read and is the best and most complete KC biography available.
    It pretty much suggests that Kurt was "interventioned to death." He just wanted to keep doing dope and playing music and that wasn't okay with his family and friends, and the prospect of getting clean horrified him, but they kept holding interventions and would not let him be.
    It makes sense, and viewing everything in this light makes his story the ultimate example of what can happen when people are pushed to get sober when they aren't ready.
    There are reasons for sayings like "attraction not promotion" and "it takes what it takes," and the notion of "wanting what we (recovered people) have and being willing to go to any length to get it" is a prerequisite for 12 step recovery for a reason.

At any rate, i think you would LOVE the book if you've not read it.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Kurt Cobain is okay if you like pop music i guess.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony_crisp View Post
    Kurt Cobain is okay if you like pop music i guess.
    You got a problem with pop music?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    what an awesome video, I laughed so hard when kurt jumped in. And with dale on drums on top of that, not too many of those.
    mike ziegler is a godsend for the nirvana community, makes me wonder what his relationship to the nirvana people is/was.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I am not sure I want to know. This looks like blasphemy indeed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I heard someone comparing it to Everclear, and I think that's an accurate assessment.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Nothing new in there apparently, all these were already available and in better quality too.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Kurt Cobain is turning over in his grave...

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Oh, that is wrong.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    What the hell, no respect for the man, his art and vision.
    What a shame.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Is it because its in an ad or the lullaby?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The ad. It’s cringeworthy.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    They raped his corpse with that Montage Of Heck release. I just felt most of the material on it shouldn't even have been released as it was just Kurt fucking around and not meant for release. A huge money grab. I felt the documentary to be weak as well.

I much rather them re-release Incesticide remastered and in 24 bit hi-res and stop. Honestly, how come Incesticide got no love? We got Bleach, Nevermind, and In Utero all remastered and expanded. Can we please get an Incesticide reissue? Aero Zeppelin is one of my favorite Nirvana tracks.
    Last edited by neorev; 02-06-2018 at 01:00 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Kurt Cobain is turning over in his grave...

Who gave this the green light? Courtney?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Who gave this the green light? Courtney?
    That's probably an impossible question to answer. I can't even figure out who, if any one entity, owns the publishing rights to the music anymore. A company called Primary Wave Music seemed to be in ownership of 50% as recently as 2013. Courtney infamously said the memory of Cobain was raped when SLTS was used in the Muppets movie in 2011, and she blamed Dave and Krist for signing off on that. Seems like Frances actually has ownership of Cobain's likeness right now, but I'm not sure if that's separate from the music.

http://www.businessinsider.com/court...a-money-2014-8

That link details Courtney's selling her publishing rights and claiming how she protected it over the years. I guess in a roundabout way, yes she's to blame for selling the rights.
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 02-06-2018 at 01:38 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I wouldn't have really cared if they used, say, SLTS, but "All Apologies" was completely, totally inappropriate.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I was going to start a thread about grunge, but I didn't want to sound like an uninformed idiot. I have been wondering about these things:
    Did grunge really die when Kurt Cobain left this earth or did it slowly fade away?
    Why is Kurt Cobain called the father of grunge when Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam were more commercially successful?
    Is grunge still a musical genre in the present tense as the wikipedia would like us to believe?
    If a lot of active bands are still drawing inspiration from the movement, is it possible that grunge never ended?