Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Nirvana

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    If there is some kind of Nirvana tribute tour, please, no Post Malone. Have Josh Homme, Jack White, Mark Lanegan, William Duvall do some songs, they are about 1,000,000 better.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Definitely digging the Post Malone stream - and he is everything I hate about that kind of current mainstream music as @Failure said - absolute trash mainstream face tattoo'd auto tuned music as a product, but without all that and with that guitar on ripping through those tunes with the band behind him I can't fault the guy at all. It came from a place of honesty and I respect that.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I mean, Homme/White/Lanegan are Gods. But remember when they had that Chris Cornell tribute at the Forum a while back? On paper, you would have thought Metallica or Homme of Grohl would have delivered the most memorable performances. But the only think that really stuck from that night was Miley Cyrus. Same sort of thing here. Despite my man crush on Homme, there’s no way he could pull off the necessary pain/gutteral screaming like Post did. Songs like Frances Farmer or School are so much more about that primitive/honest vocal delivery than guitar chops or technical proficiency. And regardless of what you think about Post, he was performing those songs from a place of honesty.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure View Post
    . Same sort of thing here. Despite my man crush on Homme, there’s no way he could pull off the necessary pain/gutteral screaming like Post did.
    I thought Post overdid it. I didn't care for it, but it looks like I'm in the minority. But others liked it, they raised some money for a good cause, so it's all good.

I also thought Cyrus gave a good performance. She's talented and could have a legit career as a singer. Kind of wish she would knock off the stupid, utterly boorish attention-seeking behavior.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    If they ever wanna do a tour, the only 2 people I would accept in Kurts spot are Thurston Moore or J Mascis. Kurt was heavily influenced by both of them and even went as far as to ask J to join Nirvana back in '89. J also has a similar vocal style as Kurt. And if it wasn't for Sonic Youth, there would be no Nirvana. J or Thurston. Thats it. No Post Malone. No Paul McCartney. No Joan Jett. Thurston Moore or J Mascis or let sleeping dogs lie

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Every high note at half speed:

Well, I guess a lot of people have a lot of free time. You can't unhear this.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    looks like a newly surfaced interview from 1990

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    If there is some kind of Nirvana tribute tour, please, no Post Malone. Have Josh Homme, Jack White, Mark Lanegan, William Duvall do some songs, they are about 1,000,000 better.
    To be clear, i don't think there should ever be a proper Nirvana "tour". I don't care who would be singing, it's a terrible idea imo. Doubt Krist would ever be interested in that anyway. But some one-offs, award show performances, fundraisers/benefits etc. would be fun.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    To be clear, i don't think there should ever be a proper Nirvana "tour". I don't care who would be singing, it's a terrible idea imo. Doubt Krist would ever be interested in that anyway. But some one-offs, award show performances, fundraisers/benefits etc. would be fun.
    It shouldn't be billed as "Nirvana," but something akin to Experience Hendrix.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Gotta agree to some extent that the vast number of Nirvana covers can be tedious at times. While it's crazy how many people hold these songs dear and seem to be influenced by them, it's annoying how everyone seems to try and make these songs their own.

And I agree, no Nirvana tour please, one-off performance are inevitable I guess, but having different people sing these songs isn't going down well for the most part. There are surprisingly nice covers out there like the Post one or my favorite: "heart shaped box" by Father John Misty. In the end nothing compares to the real deal as with any other band alive or dead.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I thought this cover was pretty good:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This is actually one of my favorite Nirvana covers

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jord View Post
    Definitely digging the Post Malone stream - and he is everything I hate about that kind of current mainstream music as @Failure said - absolute trash mainstream face tattoo'd auto tuned music as a product, but without all that and with that guitar on ripping through those tunes with the band behind him I can't fault the guy at all. It came from a place of honesty and I respect that.
    It was definitely better than it shouldve been. His voice sounded great and the recording was pretty raw sounding. Travis Baker is a good match for Dave Grohl as they both hit their drums pretty hard. Good song choices as well.

Pretty cool that his dad let's him smoke inside the house haha.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    That Velvet Revolver cover of NC rips, and always has. Ironic that it’s being played by 3/4 of a band Kurt despised back in the day and sung by a guy he wasn’t particularly fond of either..

I found this online the other day: https://www.discogs.com/Nirvana-Unre...lease/10302726

It collects all of those unreleased demos and alternate mixes that mysteriously surfaced on Reddit one day about five years ago. I was skeptical at first, since it’s an unofficial release, but the quality of both the tracks and the packaging is highly regarded within the Nirvana fan community, who are notoriously merciless about what does and doesn’t suck when it comes to releases by this band..

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    That Velvet Revolver cover of NC rips, and always has. Ironic that it’s being played by 3/4 of a band Kurt despised back in the day and sung by a guy he wasn’t particularly fond of either..

I found this online the other day: https://www.discogs.com/Nirvana-Unre...lease/10302726

It collects all of those unreleased demos and alternate mixes that mysteriously surfaced on Reddit one day about five years ago. I was skeptical at first, since it’s an unofficial release, but the quality of both the tracks and the packaging is highly regarded within the Nirvana fan community, who are notoriously merciless about what does and doesn’t suck when it comes to releases by this band..
    Funny story about Kurt meeting Weiland. Alternative Nation is shit, but the source seems legit.
    http://www.alternativenation.net/kur...nd-ripped-off/

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

the best Nirvana cover out there. Greg Puciato awesome as always

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Reading Mark Laneagan's autobio that came out today and I'm early on but there's already tons of Kurt/Nirvana talk.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

RIP Jay

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    reliving my sordid youth....

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Lot of touching info about Kurt (and Lane) from Mark Lanegan's new autobio.
    more interesting info from Mark Lanegan's book:
    -He and Kurt were to record an album together but neither were really "alpha males" and were just too nice to each other to accomplish much. They did record a track or two, one of which was Where Did You Sleep Last Night that ended up on Mark's first solo record.
    -Kurt wanted Lanegan to sing "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" at Unplugged, as he had on his first solo record. Mark declined, because he felt he wasn't good enough/no one would care or know who he is.
    -One day after Nirvana went big, he was hanging out with Mark. Kurt went to an ATM and started drawing cash out from various accounts...and then gave it all to Mark. Mark didn't want it, but Kurt forced him to have it because he knew he was struggling financially. It was a few thousand dollars. Awesome gesture. The two were really like brothers.
    -Kurt called him shortly after he escaped from rehab. Mark didn't know he was in rehab and Kurt didn't mention it. Mark didn't pick up the phone, let it go to answering machine multiple times as he wasn't in the mood to hang out with Kurt because of Courtney Love. Those missed calls ended up being guilt he can still not shake to this day.
    -Mark was one of the people looking for Kurt when he was told he was missing. Mark did go to the lake house with a couple people but didn't check the garage, but almost did.
    -Courtney Love ended up being very gracious to Mark financially, and even got him the information (through a friend) to get him into rehab years later.

I finished Mark's book and I have to say, it is DARK. There were times it made even Trainspotting seem like child's play. It certainly put me in a crazy state of mind. Being in self isolation and seeing so much of what addicts go through with isolation drew some odd parallels to me. The fact that he's alive after all the crazy shit he went through/did to himself is...wow. He truly is a survivor. And it really made me wish Kurt could have pulled through it...
    Last edited by versusreality; 05-01-2020 at 07:36 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    Lot of touching info about Kurt (and Lane) from Mark Lanegan's new bio.
    more interesting info from Mark Lanegan's book:
    -He and Kurt were to record an album together but neither were really "alpha males" and were just too nice to each other to accomplish much. They did record a track or two, one of which was Where Did You Sleep Last Night that ended up on Mark's first solo record.
    -Kurt wanted Lanegan to sing "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" at Unplugged, as he had on his first solo record. Mark declined, because he felt he wasn't good enough/no one would care or know who he is.
    -One day after Nirvana went big, he was hanging out with Mark. Kurt went to an ATM and started drawing cash out from various accounts...and then gave it all to Mark. Mark didn't want it, but Kurt forced him to have it because he knew he was struggling financially. It was a few thousand dollars. Awesome gesture. The two were really like brothers.
    -Kurt called him shortly after he escaped from rehab. Mark didn't know he was in rehab and Kurt didn't mention it. Mark didn't pick up the phone, let it go to answering machine multiple times as he wasn't in the mood to hang out with Kurt because of Courtney Love. Those missed calls ended up being guilt he can still not shake to this day.
    -Mark was one of the people looking for Kurt when he was told he was missing. Mark did go to the lake house with a couple people but didn't check the garage, but almost did.
    -Courtney Love ended up being very gracious to Mark financially, and even got him the information (through a friend) to get him into rehab years later.

I finished Mark's book and I have to say, it is DARK. There were times it made even Trainspotting seem like child's play. It certainly put me in a crazy state of mind. Being in self isolation and seeing so much of what addicts go through with isolation drew some odd parallels to me. The fact that he's alive after all the crazy shit he went through/did to himself is...wow. He truly is a survivor. And it really made me wish Kurt could have pulled through it...
    Sounds like a great read. Shame Lanegan didn't do the Nirvana unplugged show, it would have been great exposure for him. Did Lanegan also talk about Staley/Mad Season?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    It's a great read, but as I said, get ready for some dark heavy stuff that can either be a downer/trigger for some. There was a lot of talk about Staley/Mad Season. Every group member made sure Mark got royalties for Mad Season, something that hadn't happened to him before. He was beyond grateful that they were looking out for him. After Lane broke up with a gf in 96ish, he moved in to Mark's apartment, which, at that point, was a crackhouse/dopehouse, making, doing it, selling it.
    The book ends with Mark finding out about Lane's death. He too was like a brother to Mark.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    So glad Lanegan made it out alive, such a talented, cool dude, and he's making some of the best music of his career later in life.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    at one point he was living with a homeless prostitute shooting up together, what she would do is bring the Johns up to his apartment, get ready to fuck him, and then Mark would come out and rob the guy of his money. they did this for several months. he had the crap beat out of him in a drug deal gone wrong not too long before his Jools Holland appearance in 96. he himself was homeless for a while. he recently was on a podcast, a nearly 2 hour interview a couple weeks ago. he is in a great place now. very humble and grateful.

sorry to derail the thread everyone. anyway, if you're a Kurt fanatic, Mark's book is worth a read!

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    at one point he was living with a homeless prostitute shooting up together, what she would do is bring the Johns up to his apartment, get ready to fuck him, and then Mark would come out and rob the guy of his money. they did this for several months. he had the crap beat out of him in a drug deal gone wrong not too long before his Jools Holland appearance in 96. he himself was homeless for a while. he recently was on a podcast, a nearly 2 hour interview a couple weeks ago. he is in a great place now. very humble and grateful.

sorry to derail the thread everyone. anyway, if you're a Kurt fanatic, Mark's book is worth a read!
    For a long time in the Seattle music biz there was a death pool about Mark & Layne (who would OD first). Haven't read the book but want to.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

We got this thread dude:
    https://www.echoingthesound.org/comm...hlight=Lanegan

Love Lanegan and would welcome more discussion there.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

👀

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    wasn't expecting that