Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Nirvana

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
    The question I’ve always had about this is “who in hell places their infant under water?” 4 month old babies don’t know how to hold their breath.
    Dude... what? What the fuck do you think babies are doing inside of their mothers for 9 months? Do you think they're just chilling in an empty room... or what?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    1) So can I go after my parents for old pictures?
    2) Does this mean anyone who owns the album is in possession of cp?
    3) If it's so bad, why does he have a Nevermind tattoo?
    4) This is leading to him hoping for a small settlement out of court, right?
    5) Amazing that the 30th Anniversary is coming up... hmmm.

https://www.stereogum.com/1729906/du...evermind/news/

Hmmm, part 2.

"Spencer Elden wants you to know that he was the baby on the cover of Nevermind. He’s popped up in the news talking about it every few years for the past decade and a half, sometimes going as far as to recreate the photograph (in 2001 and 2008) and other times just saying hey to remind you that he exists. Like that time in 2007 when he said he used pickup lines like “You want to see my penis … again?” or in 2010 when he posted a video saying that he was trying to make some money off of the Nirvana baby connection because he was broke. (“Every five years or so, somebody’s gonna call me up and ask me about Nevermind … and I’m probably gonna get some money from it,” he predicted to Rolling Stone in 2003.) In 2011 he told CNN, “I always say, “[My penis has] changed, do you want to see it?'”

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Of course the small settlement is the goal. Low four figures, enough to pay rent for a couple months. He's not going to get any more than that, and even that amount is just "stop talking about this, you fucking idiot" money.

Hilarious how blatant this effort is.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

*snort*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Dude... what? What the fuck do you think babies are doing inside of their mothers for 9 months? Do you think they're just chilling in an empty room... or what?
    Newsflash: babies get oxygen from the placental cord before birth and after birth, oxygen from breathing air. While in the womb, babies do “breath” in amniotic fluid. This is their physiologic way of developing their lungs. They are not holding their breath. Now, newborns do have a “dive reflex” which causes them to hold their breath if submerged. However, this goes away around 4-6 months of development. Relying on this reflex for a album photo shoot was irresponsible. Why do I know this? Because I have been a practicing pediatrician for 15 years.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
    Newsflash: babies get oxygen from the placental cord before birth and after birth, oxygen from breathing air. While in the womb, babies do “breath” in amniotic fluid. This is their physiologic way of developing their lungs. They are not holding their breath. Now, newborns do have a “dive reflex” which causes them to hold their breath if submerged. However, this goes away around 4-6 months of development. Relying on this reflex for a album photo shoot was irresponsible. Why do I know this? Because I have been a practicing pediatrician for 15 years.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

wow, wtf.

Nirvana’s Nevermind Getting New 30th Anniversary Reissue
    Geffen and UMe are reissuing Nirvana’s Nevermind to celebrate the album’s 30th anniversary. The new editions are out November 12. The standard reissue will come with a bonus 7" featuring an A-side of “Endless, Nameless” and a B-side of “Even In His Youth” and “Aneurysm.”

The Super Deluxe reissue of Nevermind features 8 LPs, 5 CDs, the 7", and a Blu-ray featuring Live in Amsterdam, Netherlands, a newly remastered video of a November 25, 1991 concert at Paradiso. Other concert videos available with the 30th anniversary reissues are Live in Del Mar, California (December 28, 1991), Live in Melbourne, Australia for Triple J (February 1, 1991), and Live in Tokyo (February 19, 1992).
    Good lord, what could possibly take up 8 LPs?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    It’s hard to justify AUD$250 for a blu ray and 5 CDs, four of which are concerts I already have bootlegs of. And I already own the 20th anniversary Super Deluxe…

also that tweet/quote sweet jesus
    Last edited by Disassociative; 09-23-2021 at 11:18 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Good lord, what could possibly take up 8 LPs?
    It’s the album plus four different live shows. Doesn’t seem worth it though.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disassociative View Post
    It’s hard to justify AUD$250 for a blu ray and 5 CDs, four of which are concerts I already have bootlegs of. And I already own the 20th anniversary Super Deluxe…

also that tweet/quote sweet jesus
    Yeah, is Gene Simmons overseeing this?
    Last edited by GulDukat; 12-07-2022 at 10:11 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    It’s the album plus four different live shows. Doesn’t seem worth it though.
    that article specifically says "Other concert videos available" so I figured that meant, you know, video discs. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Yeah, is Gene Simmons overseeing this.
    Nirvana coffins coming soon.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    They pretty much blew their load with the 20th anniversary release, so I'm not surprised that this release seems very lackluster in comparison. Curious about the new remaster though. I know some people weren't very happy with the previous remaster.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I really want a (hopefully) good copy of the live shows but $150????

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    that article specifically says "Other concert videos available" so I figured that meant, you know, video discs. :PNirvana coffins coming soon.
    Who is in charge of this?
    I mean, good god. The first box set was pretty much grave robbery.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Passed on getting Foo Fighter tickets on a presale today. $120. I kind of like them but not quite that much. Liked them more in the early days. Definitely been feeling sick of Dave lately. He's everywhere all the time. Is going to be the first event in our glorious new Climate Pledge Arena. The process to build it was 1 of the most corrupt things I've seen in Seattle & that sort of thing is pretty thick here. I'd rather save the money for when NIN do the tour that never was next year hopefully.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    On his book tour, Dave decided to kick out the jams. Fucking sick.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    this is out now, and as expected it's brickwalled... I'm not even gonna bother comparing it to the 20th anniversary remaster, seems like the original will remain our best option anyway.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Are any of the live shows included in the 30th worth seeking out?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    It's nice to have access to them officially but the consensus over at LiveNirvana seems to be that the bootlegs are better sourced. Paradiso is fine, Del Mar is cassette sourced (ironically that was the only one of the four shows that was recorded on multitrack and they didn't bother seeking those out), Melbourne is alright but a bit too polished and Tokyo seems to be the virtually the same as the original bootleg apart from mastering. All the shows were 'remixed' using software stem programs too so there's not exactly a lot of drastic change between the original bootlegs and these mixes. Apart from Melbourne - I don't know how to describe it but sounds... flat compared to the original FM broadcast version.

I probably will listen to this new versions more often just for ease of access but its nice to know I have the originals sitting on my hard drive.

I'm also yet to really sit down and listen to the new remaster of Nevermind properly but I've given it a once through and it seems to have more low end but less energy even compared to Nevermind20s awful brickwalled version (which this is brickwalled again too)

I don't understand why In Utero was remastered perfectly but they churned out another LOUD AT EVERY VOLUME Nevermind master.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    this is out now, and as expected it's brickwalled... I'm not even gonna bother comparing it to the 20th anniversary remaster, seems like the original will remain our best option anyway.
    The 1991 disc sounds fantastic.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 12-07-2022 at 10:13 AM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Did any of you guys see Nirvana? I was too young for the Trees show in Dallas, but they were set to headline Lolla 94, which, if I remember correctly, was supposed to be TWO days that year: April 20th, and 21st, at the Starplex. I was excited.

Those shows didn't happen, for obvious reasons.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I think they were supposed to headline Lolla 94 for 2 months. 1994 was the year they had Nick Cave and the Pumpkins and the Beastie Boys....Acc to wiki that tour went from July-September

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    I think they were supposed to headline Lolla 94 for 2 months. 1994 was the year they had Nick Cave and the Pumpkins and the Beastie Boys....Acc to wiki that tour went from July-September
    Whatever it was, i'm almost certain they were supposed to play 2 dates at the Starplex in Dallas in late April, '94. In fact, I just checked on a Nirvana tour history/bootleg site; those two dates are listed as cancelled shows.
    Strangely, it SAYS (with Lolla,) but I don't REMEMBER it being Lolla when the shows were announced.

Edit: AUG 20 and 21. Mystery solved.
    I was starting to think it was a near 28 year old false memory.

Anyway, like many of us I'd imagine, I was (and am) a huge Nirvana fan. I had been impatiently waiting since Nevermind for their first all ages show in Dallas. And maaaan, I was pretty unhappy that it never happened.
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-19-2021 at 01:04 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I also heard rumors that they were intended to be booked for Woodstock 94.

Makes you wonder, what if things turned out differently...Kurt didn't die...and perhaps it was Nirvana who had NIN's slot at Woodstock and NIN wouldn't have been booked/booked at a different time slot or day.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    NIN was one of the biggest bands in the world at that time. They would have been booked either way. Nirvana would have probably gotten a headline slot instead of Aerosmith (I think they were headliners on NINs night)

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    NIN was one of the biggest bands in the world at that time. They would have been booked either way. Nirvana would have probably gotten a headline slot instead of Aerosmith (I think they were headliners on NINs night)
    That's what I was thinking; Nirvana would have been headlining.

And while NIN wouldn't have lost their slot, I wouldn't have called them one of the biggest bands in the world in 94, either. (to be fair, that's just my subjective opinion, from where I was sitting at the time.)

Edit: there's this youtuber working on a LONG series on the last days of Kurt Cobain; it's 19 episodes and counting. I've seen a few of them, and even though it gets into the conspiracy stuff, which I just do NOT believe, it's entertaining so far. American Spy Fox is the channel, if you're into that sort of thing.
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-19-2021 at 03:20 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    RE: Woodstock 1994.

Pearl Jam was probably the biggest band in the world at the time. Green Day were on the cusp of world-wide fame. Aerosmith were probably the biggest classic rock band, in the wake of the massive Get a Grip album.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I think Woodstock is what propelled NIN to one of the biggest bands in the world in 94- there was certainly a buzz leading up to it but that's what made them massive, I feel. who knows. I still stand by it- NIN's Woodstock 94 is one of the coolest concerts in the history of rock music.

ah, enough fantasy booking. it just bums me out when I think about it.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    1994 the 3 biggest bands were basically Pearl Jam and Nirvana and Metallica. I guess Guns N Roses were still near the top even though they were on hiatus at that point.......The 2nd tier had a bunch of bands like NIN, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Green Day, Alice In Chains, the Chili Peppers and even Pantera who debuted at #1 w Far Beyond Driven. The 90s was pretty badass....until nu metal came along

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    1994 the 3 biggest bands were basically Pearl Jam and Nirvana and Metallica. I guess Guns N Roses were still near the top even though they were on hiatus at that point.......The 2nd tier had a bunch of bands like NIN, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Green Day, Alice In Chains, the Chili Peppers and even Pantera who debuted at #1 w Far Beyond Driven. The 90s was pretty badass....until nu metal came along
    By the summer of 1994 it had already been almost three years since Use Your Illusion and the changing of the guard from GN'R to Nirvana was pretty much complete. It's a shame that Guns N' Roses didn't play Woodstock 1994, as a killer performance could have given them a shot in the arm.

It's a shame and odd that none of the Seattle giants played Woodstock '94.