Ummm..... no, thanks.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/04/22/post-...avirus-relief/

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    "Post Malone to Host Nirvana Cover Concert from Home for COVID19 Relief"

Ummm..... no, thanks.

Wasn't it enough end Ozzy's latest otherwise excellent album on a shit note with his contribution?

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    You know what you'll never see fans of the Puddles or Post-whoever do? Compile rare af box sets in honor of their favorite band like this:

https://www.discogs.com/Nirvana-Hear.../master/391907

I paid several hundo for mine about five years ago, in like-new condition. Now it tends to go for way, way more. It's an amazing overview that dwarfs the Fade to Black and eventual WTLO boxes that came later. Eight discs (!) of pretty much everything rare or unreleased they ever did. It's also the only set that contains the complete, unedited '93 Roseland Ballroom show, if I remember correctly. Sadly, that was the eve of his first suicide attempt..

There's a dude in Japan selling one on eBay right now. Sealed. For $1400..

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    You know what you'll never see fans of the Puddles or Post-whoever do? Compile rare af box sets in honor of their favorite band like this:

https://www.discogs.com/Nirvana-Hear.../master/391907

I paid several hundo for mine about five years ago, in like-new condition. Now it tends to go for way, way more. It's an amazing overview that dwarfs the Fade to Black and eventual WTLO boxes that came later. Eight discs (!) of pretty much everything rare or unreleased they ever did. It's also the only set that contains the complete, unedited '93 Roseland Ballroom show, if I remember correctly. Sadly, that was the eve of his first suicide attempt..

There's a dude in Japan selling one on eBay right now. Sealed. For $1400..
    That's a little out of price range, but looks like a really cool set. I'll have to settle for the Nevermind bside collection and WTLO.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    "Post Malone to Host Nirvana Cover Concert from Home for COVID19 Relief"

Ummm..... no, thanks.

And I don't even mind Post Malone. But no dude, put the drugs down for one second & think about this. You ain't the one.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Between Limp Bizkit covering Kurt and now this guy. Its such a travesty that the exact type of bands Kurt despised are "honoring" him with cover songs
    I haven't heard the Limp Bizkit cover & frankly don't want to. POM traumatized me. I saw LB open for Metallica once & Fred Durst had the nerve to do "Behind Blue Eyes" out in the crowd with a tape backing him. I remember thinking at the time that if I would've had a rocket launcher there would be no more Fred problem.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Eh, LB cover was fine. AFAIK they just play 1 verse + 1 chorus of SLTS shortened version live as a part of cover medley. (If nothing changed since I've seem them live about 6 years ago). It's unnecessary, but def not as bad as it may seem.
    At least they don't push it on their social media or youtube.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    I haven't heard the Limp Bizkit cover & frankly don't want to. POM traumatized me. I saw LB open for Metallica once & Fred Durst had the nerve to do "Behind Blue Eyes" out in the crowd with a tape backing him. I remember thinking at the time that if I would've had a rocket launcher there would be no more Fred problem.

Junior year in HS I saw Limp Bizkit open for Faith No More...This was like 6 months before LB somehow became the biggest band in the world.....The crowd booed them nonstop and Fred Durst called the crowd "faggots" about 30 times....They did their cover of "Faith" and the crowd booed....6 months later, they were MTV darlings.....How that band became huge is still a mystery
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 04-23-2020 at 12:43 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I checked out the Post Malone thing, as some comments on the Facebook SPIN page were positive. I went in with an open mind, but FFS, that was just awful, painful to listen to. It was as bad as the POM guy. With these singers, it's like an SNL parody of Kurt Cobain, with the angst turned up to 11, there is no nuance. There are high school bands that could do this better.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 04-24-2020 at 09:43 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I disagree. I was totally wrong about this. Crow eaten. I thought this was gonna be like when Lil Wayne picked up a guitar a few years ago. I'm not saying Post Malone is the embodiment of Kurt Cobain or anything, but this was handled really well. 75 minute set with some real rippers in it.

2:04: Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle
    7:31: Drain You
    11:59: Come As You Are
    16:22 Lounge Act
    21:14: School
    24:33: Heart Shaped Box
    30:31: Something In The Way
    34:43: About A Girl
    38:58: Stay Away
    45:56: Lithium
    52:58: Breed
    57:29: On A Plain
    1:02:33: Very Ape
    1:05:27: Territorial Pissings
    1:11:35: In Bloom
    Great song choices. Today I learned Post Malone knows how to play guitar. Travis Barker on drums as a surprise! They clearly rehearsed a good amount for this, and know the songs. NO SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT. Posty doesn't have some incredible voice (which he said himself a bunch of times in this) or nail everything perfectly, but he's clearly a big Nirvana fan, which i had no idea about. That's where my initial negative reaction stemmed from, plus I didn't know he could play an instrument. And whats great about Nirvana is that playing guitar kinda ok & fucking up some parts is the whole point.

They raised over $2 million during the actual stream for the W.H.O./CV relief. That alone made this worthwhile. Again, I'm glad at how wrong I was.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Awesome that they were able to raise money for such a worthy cause.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This surprised the fuck out of me and now I love Nirvana again

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Color me surprised as well, never knew he had the chops and frankly it doesn't matter if he hits all the right notes... it's a cover by another artist, it will never be 100% the same, especially if they decide to just cover the song instead of giving it their own twist. I'd actually go and see him do that live in concert. That worked well and I'm happy they coudl raise a decent amount of money without big media coverage and press work. Good job!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I need post to make a rock album. I knew this was going to bang when I heard he was doing it. Fucking awesome.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Malone's effort was a bit more listenable, but this isn't saying much. Can anyone cover a dam Nirvana song? This isn't good.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I’m not sure what people expect from a nirvana cover. No one is going to be Kurt cobain.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenSpiral View Post
    I’m not sure what people expect from a nirvana cover. No one is going to be Kurt cobain.
    That's the problem, they keep trying to be.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Malone's effort was a bit more listenable, but this isn't saying much. Can anyone cover a dam Nirvana song? This isn't good.
    these 2 local h Halloween shows were pretty good imo

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    David Bowie's cover of "The Man Who Sold the World" was pretty good...

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I disagree. I was totally wrong about this. Crow eaten. I thought this was gonna be like when Lil Wayne picked up a guitar a few years ago. I'm not saying Post Malone is the embodiment of Kurt Cobain or anything, but this was handled really well. 75 minute set with some real rippers in it.
    Post Malone (and Halsey) are both legit singer/songwriters. Some of my favorite stuff by them is just their voice and a guitar. I can see why people would be skeptical, but it seems that's what helps drive him.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    This thread sort of put me on a Nirvana kick. Listening to Live at Reading now and it's maybe the best live album that was recorded in the 1990's.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Speaking of Nirvana covers.... this is one of my favorites that isn't trying to mimic Kurt...

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    This thread sort of put me on a Nirvana kick. Listening to Live at Reading now and it's maybe the best live album that was recorded in the 1990's.
    Half the Nirvana fanbase loves that show. The other half thinks its a disaster of a show. Personally I think those 92 shows were the worst shows they ever played. Kurt was strung out that whole year and his screams and intensity were nothing compared to previous tours. You could tell he was bored out of his mind at that point. Listen to some 1990 shows and how intense he was and how much he screamed his head off and it makes Reading and all the other 92 shows look like a soundcheck in comparison. A personal favorite is this show

Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 04-25-2020 at 04:11 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I like Bleach, but I'm definitely more into Nevermind and In Utero, so I would prefer the later shows.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Half the Nirvana fanbase loves that show. The other half thinks its a disaster of a show. Personally I think those 92 shows were the worst shows they ever played. Kurt was strung out that whole year and his screams and intensity were nothing compared to previous tours. You could tell he was bored out of his mind at that point. Listen to some 1990 shows and how intense he was and how much he screamed his head off and it makes Reading and all the other 92 shows look like a soundcheck in comparison. A personal favorite is this show

That's a goody. As far as early shows, I enjoy this one from June 23, 1989:

https://archive.org/details/Nirvana-062389

Rhino Records
    Westwood, California, USA

School
    Floyd the Barber
    Love Buzz
    Big Cheese
    About a Girl
    Sifting
    Spank Thru
    Dive
    Polly
    Negative Creep
    Blew

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The remaster of Bleach has a show from February 1989, and I remember it being pretty good.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Been a hardcore Nirvana fan for as long as I’ve been a hardcore Nails fan. Perhaps even longer..

I have loads of Nirvana bootlegs; probably more than I do Nails bootlegs. Some of them are pricey af on the secondary market, depending on their scarcity. I prefer the later period shows, but that’s only because I like the material from that era better. Like bilpulsipher said, the intensity isn’t as fierce post-1991. You could tell that fame was wearing on him with each passing month as they were forced to play the corporate game, to an extent..

This site exhaustively analyzes which shows are worth tracking down, and which ones aren’t worth the time of day: https://www.livenirvana.com/bootography/

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Just got done watching the Post Malone show. I’ve gotta say, I am inexplicably blown away. For me, it all started with Nirvana. There would be no NIN fandom, no Failure obsession, no Tool infatuation without Kurt. I must have had three different versions of Outsesticide IV. So I’ve been extremely guarded about any modern day covers, Grohl/Krist reunions, and especially the HOF performance. This “blew” everything away. It was authentic and unexpected in the best sort of insouciant Nirvana way.

And trust me, Post checks off all my negative modern day boxes. Life displayed on Instagram, face tattoos, mumble rap, Ozzy collaborations, auto-tune. Up until an hour ago, it was basically fuck that guy. Now I am wondering whether he might become the first relevant, new rock act since the early 00’s. Or maybe it’s just the Mansinthe talking...

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    If Dave, Pat & Krist get together again to do a show or two for whatever reason, I'd like to see Post Malone do a few songs alongside Deer Tick's John McCauley again, and even though no one would have the foggiest clue who he is, Josh Scogin of '68 (and formerly Norma Jean & The Chariot):