Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

2014.08.14 - Austin, TX @ Austin360 Amphitheater

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Wow, no comments...

Overall, a fantastic show that left me feeling very happy. Dillinger Escape Plan put on an energetic show that much of the crowd didn't even know what to do with, haha...but they were great. Soundgarden also put on an amazing show, with Cornell's voice in great shape in most places, playing a set of mostly hits but throwing in "Flower" was nice and closing with "Beyond the Wheel" was surprising and incredibly awesome, the last 5 minutes of their set as just Kim and Ben with the guitars against the amps, creating crazy, sludgy feedback loops.

NIN were great as always, but something seemed slightly off. There seemed to be a problem with the sound, as Trent kept throwing down the mic and even once banged it against one of the screens. His vocals were at times hard to hear and for some odd reason since Soundgarden's sound was just fine. The set was heavier on HM than other setlists of this tour, and maybe it was just the crowd near me, but they seemed terribly uninterested in the HM songs later in the set, using the time to talk or shuffle around and check their fucking phones. Maybe I'm just getting to be a grumpy old man, but since when did people not watch the whole show and even when they did give not outward indication that they're enjoying it? I understand you don't necessarily want to "mosh" anymore since it's an ampitheater and most of the crowd was 30 and above, but is standing there unmoving the new thing to do at shows. I probably looked like a raggedy muppet flopping around in my area compared to the people around me.

But anyway, pretty much no banter at all from Trent, and the band was good, but they and especially Robin seemed far less animated than other shows I've seen. A NIN show is still miles better than most other live shows. I've only seen NIN shows from Lights in the Sky, Wave Goodbye, and last fall's Tension tour, and so far, this was the weakest NIN show I've seen. But again, even the least NIN show is still an amazing experience where I dance my butt off and enjoy every song.

Setlist:
    1. Copy of A 

2. Sanctified 

3. Came Back Haunted 

4. 1,000,000 

5. March of the Pigs 

6. Piggy 

7. Terrible Lie 

8. Closer 

9. Gave Up 

10. Disappointed 

11. Find My Way 

12. The Great Destroyer 

13. Eraser 

14. Wish 

15. The Hand That Feeds 

16. Head Like a Hole 

Encore:
    17. Hurt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great show, with a really well-paced, although somewhat predictable, set list. However, I really disliked the venue; horrible crowd management and access stratification (VIP!) for just about everything: parking, food, etc. It will take a lot for me to return.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really have nothing bad to say, great show (dispite the heat) and a good set list...but I will agree, something was up with Trent. He didn't seem to have the energy that I saw at the RR's show and that I've read about in the earlier shows. Again maybe the heat. I didn't notice any sound issues. The group in front of us straight up left 2 songs into NIN and half of them sat through SG...what a waste, but...unobstructed view for us!
    Last edited by Yogibear303; 08-15-2014 at 09:00 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Trent really didn't seem interested in trying to connect with the audience at all. As the Doctor mentioned, no banter except the one brief thanks at the end, and he didn't introduce the band. I had a floor seat and was close enough to see that he did seem pissed off, knocking over a mic stand and throwing a guitar during the first song. Problems with the mix he was hearing in his in-ear monitor, perhaps?

That said, the visuals are great and the band sounds very tight. They work hard and this performance only seemed less impressive because I've seen them do better.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Only on my phone from a hotel, and I hate writing out long text from this, but wanted to add my two cents after checking in here, and before the memory of the night fades much more...

Did not like this venue, but oh well. Missed DEP because of god awful traffic and parking. Thought Soundgarden sounded fantastic, but since I only know the radio hits, my eyes started to glaze over around song 4 or 5. Still, enjoyed their set.

Was a little disappointed with NIN set list. I had looked over the one played Monday night in FL, tho, so not really surprised we got the tame one, but was still hoping for it. It felt too short. Trent absolutely seemed like their was something wrong, almost from the get go. I'm rather shocked at how little he has had to say each night to his audience. Crowd around my friend and I were all pretty into the music, dancing around and having fun, (unlike with SG). Overall, a fun time, but it was my third time seeing them, and out of the three, definitely the least memorable.

Will be at show tonight, and taking a total rookie, so should be interesting. On a last note, I actually met Robin while shopping around in Austin on Thursday, and he actually told me that tonight's show in Houston should be interesting... I won't spoil it, but will post about it in thread for there tomorrow.

Probably forgetting something, will add more if I think of it later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well mic dropping and guitar throwing are normal...the mic punch in the screen, not so much. He hadn't been saying much to the crowd this leg at all.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Yes, I know that. It just feels strange to not get a little more acknowledgement than "thank you" once or twice. Not even band introductions. Just felt a little off.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I haven't begun to do any remastering of the audience recording of this show, but here's a sample song: http://www20.zippyshare.com/v/79109937/file.html