Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Blackhat

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)

Blackhat

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2717822/

Atticus (and Harry Gregson-Williams) have been listed for the new Michael Mann film - and Atticus did say he's doing a Mann film soon.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    right on. i seem to remember glancing at something you posted about Atticus' other work without trent, @sheepdean .

How are those scores, and has he done many?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    A wee bit offtopic but:
    Touching Evil unreleased
    The Book of Eli
    New York, I Love You unreleased
    Days of Grace
    Broken City
    Water Stories unreleased

He's also got Gennadiy and Love & Mercy upcoming. And you HAVE to get the book of eli's OST, it's amazing, they're all good but that's the best.

Back on topic and from mumblings in film score forums, it seems this was a thing people had assumed for a while before the listing, which adds some legitimacy

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    If a lot of Mann's previous films are any indication, don't expect it to be a collaboration between Harry and Atticus. His soundtracks are a kind of mixed bag of original music and material from other artists and sometimes other films. He's no stranger to multiple composers either. For instance James Newton Howard is the only one credited on Collateral, but there was music that also came from Antonio Pinto and a few other artists (I think Charlie Clouser even has a small credit for it). And unfortunately don't expect the soundtrack to have the complete score. I don't think any of Mann's soundtracks have ever had all the original music that you'll hear in the film.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 08-25-2014 at 08:16 AM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I can still hope dammit

But yeah, looking through the OST releases ... gonna have to hope the recent resurgence in score appreciation will help

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    First trailer, with some music here and there, sounds good

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

First "whoa!" is for Michael Mann!
    Second "whoa!" is for Gregson-Williams! (he is a emm... "student" of Hans Zimmer's "school", so maybe someday it will be possible to hear TR+AR+HZ)
    And the third one goes for Atticus!

EDIT:

Nice title. I'm wondering why they didn't titled this movie as the "Redhat" :-P

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I keep forgetting Atticus is involved in this movie! What a great bonus to a movie I'm already excited for. Hopefully his contributions make it to the score's commercial release. I've been dying for a new Mann film, and can't wait to see this.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    From what I understand, the tracklisting here is what will be released if anything from Blackhat. Sadly no Ross credited tracks unless they release a seperate score from the OST, which has not yet been announced.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    That looks like a listing of music that one would see over the end credits, and it appears as if there's several cues from Ryan Amon's score for Elysium that are used in the movie (he's even credited in Blackhat as an additional composer). Not surprising since Mann has used music from other films in his soundtracks before.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    lol what a dick move to that poor guy.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Mann has done this before apparently (been chatting to some score peeps). It's not unheard of in score, but it's normally cutting out unknowns to replace with a big name you suddenly got.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Yeah, if you look at what happened with Miami Vice, John Murphy was the score composer although only 3-4 of his songs ended up in the film. If you message him on Facebook he will give you the full score btw.

I know it comes across as a dick move but at the end f the day, Mann has to have a score composer listed due to the union shit in hollywood. Its based on who spent the majority of the time doing a score FOR the film, in this case HGW and AR.

That doesn't mean he has to use all of the score within the film. But he must have it listed. I actually enjoy Mann's soundtracks because they are so varied and they have introduced me to numerous instrumental artists.

Never listened to Mogwai until I saw Miami Vice.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I don't know if this sheds light on things, but this is an interesting bit from a recent Wired interview with Mann:

You put a lot of detail into the music of your films as well. What was the process on Blackhat?

I worked with a number of composers on this one because I wanted different things from different people. It’s like casting actors. The film is an adventure of a narrative, and the story changes radically about three times, so there are very different conditions emotionally. That changes the music. So Atticus Ross does one thing, Harry Gregson-Williams does another thing, Ryan Amon does another thing, and then Mike Dean does something else. Mike Dean is Kanye West’s keyboardist and producer—a very talented guy.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reznor2112 View Post
    yeah, if you look at what happened with miami vice, john murphy was the score composer although only 3-4 of his songs ended up in the film. if you message him on facebook he will give you the full score btw.
    i need dis

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninlive View Post
    i need dis
    If I can find the folder on my old hard drive I will send it to you.

http://www.discogs.com/John-Murphy-M...elease/3300662
    Last edited by Reznor2112; 01-13-2015 at 04:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Atticus worked with The Haxan Cloak on the score... nice.

Tri Angle Records via Facebook:
    Michael Mann's new film 'Blackhat' features some new music The Haxan Cloak worked on with Atticus Ross. Out this week. I think...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Is there a release date for this score ?