Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Guilty Pleasures

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I ain't even guilty but:
    Backstreet Boys
    *NSYNC
    Justin Timberlake
    A couple of Britney Spears and a few Christina Auguiler songs.

LYKE IF UR A 90'S KID

How could anyone feel ashmed for liking Safety Dance?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zah View Post
    I ain't even guilty but:

How could anyone feel ashamed for liking Safety Dance?
    I know. I fucking love that song and "Pop Goes the World".

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Korn. I'm still amazed by how big and famous they became (and even spawned a "genre") considering how ugly, harsh and not radio-friendly their debut sounded; however, it's probably the album of theirs I enjoy the most, despite its numerous flaws. And "Freak on a Leash" still sounds too weird to me. How did this became a chart-topping hit? Anyway, Follow the Leader did sound like they were having a bit of fun (though the lyrics still had some pretty nasty imagery), and then that party-pooper Issues came out and they kept doing the same shit after that. They added a shit-ton of instruments and ghostwriters (and even Atticus) in the mix and still weren't sure how to go on after they lost Head and Silveria. Then Korn III: Remember Who You Are came out and I fucking LOVED it. It was my guiltiest pleasure of 2010. And Path of Totality, that shitty dubstep album, I loved that too. The Paradigm Shift was just "eh". Now I'll probably never listen to Korn again.

Lily Allen. Even her latest album, Sheezus, which is pretty bland and cautious compared to her previous two fierce gems. In fact, I consider Sheezus to be Lily's With Teeth; she made it after a long hiatus from music and was unsure if she still had it in her. I'm confident that her fourth album will get her back on track.

Fuck me, I've got some shitty taste. And I love it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I didn't put these guys on originally, as I'm not even guilty about liking them. However due to the huge amount of internet hatred they get, here's Bring Me The Horizon. I get that they are 'generic scene kid shite', but they just know how to make good shit imo. Their first record sucks tho, so I get the hate for that one.

Last edited by UnjollyIrishman; 08-09-2014 at 02:35 PM.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    My guilty pleasures are definitely Britney Spears and Taylor Swift. I can't really explain why. Just how it is.

On a related note, I don't think Justin Timberlake should be considered guilty pleasure. They guy has undeniable talent compared to the two above. No one should be ashamed to like JT.

I just saw the post with Rock DJ from Robbie Williams .. See that guy is a badass too. Definitely like his music but don't consider it a guilty pleasure.
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 08-09-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Hmm let me see:

Lady Gaga of course, Atomic Kitten, Girls Aloud, Sugababes, Robbie Williams and Take That. Yeah, those are the ones I'll probably not write home about, but which I find catchy as hell from time to time.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I still kinda like the first two albums by The Cranberries and the first two albums by Sheryl Crow. There's some quality songwriting scattered among those.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I'm guessing here that we can agree that Robbie Williams is not a guilty pleasure.

I don't think I'm into her newer stuff but she can sing.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    I still kinda like the first two albums by The Cranberries and the first two albums by Sheryl Crow. There's some quality songwriting scattered among those.
    'the globe sessions' was really good, too.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Slipknot. Specifically Iowa and Vol 3.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    'the globe sessions' was really good, too.
    Very true. I kinda forgot about that one.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    '80s power ballads.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Fun little Summer song for 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm glad this thread came out, because I can come out and declare myself a Muse fan. Anyone else on here like Muse? I thought I'd get laughed off this forum for admitting to be a Muse fan but there are worse things you can like.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    There are many huge Muse fans here.

But back to the topic:

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zah View Post
    How could anyone feel ashmed for liking Safety Dance?
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I know. I fucking love that song and "Pop Goes the World".

this song rules.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Does Jagged Little Pill count? Because I love that album.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Most chillwave.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Celiene Dion. Im in awe of her voice. Especially in the 90s, she could have put it to better use.
    Vengaboys...Euro pop at its finest.
    Korn and Nu Metal in general, Korn are a guilty pleasure. I think as a musical unit between 1994 and 1999 they were mindblowing. Probably Ross Robinson has a lot to with that. Amazing producer . But yeah guilty becuase the lyrics are so horrible, and Jonathan is an awful creature. The audeince Nu Metal attracted gave me bad vibes. And they just seemed extremely stupid in interviews especially Fieldy.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Does Jagged Little Pill count? Because I love that album.
    i loved that record when i was 15. "not the doctor" was my jam.

*edit: "mislead" by celine was awesome.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I saw Alanis when she came to Boston in 2012 at the House of Blues. It was a big comedown to play a 2000 capacity club, but she rocked and gave it 100 percent. I liked the first follow-up to JLP, not too into the others, but JLP remains a classic from my teen years and the 1990's. I have a real soft spot for it.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I saw Alanis when she came to Boston in 2012 at the House of Blues. It was a big comedown to play a 2000 capacity club, but she rocked and gave it 100 percent. I liked the first follow-up to JLP, not too into the others, but JLP remains a classic from my teen years and the 1990's. I have a real soft spot for it.
    she's had some gold stuff since. 'under rug swept' was good. "eight easy steps" was awesome, too.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I really liked this one album by late 90's/early 2000s pop/alternative band Vertical Horizon. They're technically everything I hate in rock music- safe, poppy, over-produced, and it might be a Christian rock(I don't really know), but the album that this song is on I played way too much. Sometimes I just appreciate well-done, saccharin, melodic radio rock.
    Last edited by Millionaire; 01-18-2015 at 05:12 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Agreed, Everything You Want and Best I Ever Had...so sappy, but damn, good stuff lol. They're kinda like the New Radicals, another crappy band that sounds pretty similar from the same time. Everyone loved that 'You Get What You Give' song, but for me it was 'Someday We'll Know'...

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    i fucking LOVE Seal

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    i fucking LOVE Seal
    His 1994 album Seal 2, the one with Kissed by a Rose is a NEAR MASTERPIECE. Most accept this. Its emotional, beautiful soul music with an innovative experimental edge. Every song is amazing. His later material is where it gets lame and crooning.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I quite liked that Britney Spears 'work bitch' song. Listened to Applause on spotify recently and ended up liking a lot of it but I don't think that's a guilty pleasure particularly.

Going to my youth, the first album I bought was White Feathers by Kajagoogoo. I still rate some of that and not just the singles. Enjoyed the post Limahl second album too, particularly Lion's Mouth and Turn Your Back on Me.

A bit later in the eighties Stock Aitken & Waterman and their Hi NRG music really made the charts stale with a few exceptions, dead or alive - you spin me round, I've always loved this and I really liked Mel & Kim too, the singles FLM, Respectable and Showing Out were all great

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)

Shit yeah buttrock

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Millionaire View Post
    I really liked this one album by late 90's/early 2000s pop/alternative band Vertical Horizon. They're technically everything I hate in rock music- safe, poppy, over-produced, and it might be a Christian rock(I don't really know), but the album that this song is on I played way too much. Sometimes I just appreciate well-done, saccharin, melodic radio rock.
    Dear lord, I never knew who sang this and this dates way back where I did not know english very well so I had no clue what the topic was. Yet the melody and sequence of words stuck. Haha, great you dug that one up!

It's strange to realize what this song is about after so many years not knowing. Those are the forgotten surprises when listening to english music in Europe even when you don't know the words. bit caught your self humming. Sometimes it's pleasant, sometimes it is not to understand the lyrics of songs from way back.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    His 1994 album Seal 2, the one with Kissed by a Rose is a NEAR MASTERPIECE. Most accept this. Its emotional, beautiful soul music with an innovative experimental edge. Every song is amazing. His later material is where it gets lame and crooning.
    i love that one and the first one