Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Thread: The Playstation Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Maybe I'm off topic, but my monitor on PS4 is dead, now I'm looking for a new one. I want to choose one so that there is as little stress on the eyes as possible. We need a softer color gamut, with good detail and color rendition. Thinking about Phillips and Samsung, but maybe there are some other interesting options? I prefer a 24-inch diagonal, I think it will not be so convenient anymore. What options can I choose from the ones presented [admin edit]on the site I'm paid to promote?[/admin edit]

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    So they're nuking the PS3, PSP, and Vita stores this summer.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Been reading about this all afternoon. So much for game preservation, huh? This is pretty shitty... We shouldn't have to rely on the emulation and modding community for stuff like this. Expect even more remasters and remakes if this really goes through.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Sony is anti-consumer garbage and has been riding on Xbox One's initial kinect flub and player backlash for the entire PS4/Xbox One Generation. It's only getting worse. They got away with anti-consumer practices of withholding game content and DLC for most of the last generation because of it.

These stores closing is not good to me.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    It is still all talk at this point. I'll wait for an official announcement from Playstation before I start punching the air. I just don't see them leaving many games in the dust to never be able to be downloaded ever again since they have no interest in BC. They have to have something else planned, or this is just a bad fucking idea lol...

I always go physical, but there are some times it is easier to get the digital copy and not wait for the damn thing to come in the mail. What sucks are the games that do not get physical releases... There comes my point with games you will never be able to download again; there has to be a caveat.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 03-22-2021 at 07:16 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Sony has completely screwed this up.
    There are so many PS2 games that I've already bought that I would buy again. Same for PS1 games and PSP. I wonder if they have any concept of how many people out there would like to pick up some Vita titles they missed out on... Ps3 games they never finished... Then again I'm the kind of idiot who pays high price for retro titles like Rogue Galaxy, and I still keep falling for this part where Sony unnecessarily phases out my digital purchases.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    something I just thought of: all those PSN+ games that have to do the store check to make sure you're still an active member...what happens to them once the store goes down? You can't buy them right now because you "own" them instead of actually own them so wtf is going to happen?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    something I just thought of: all those PSN+ games that have to do the store check to make sure you're still an active member...what happens to them once the store goes down? You can't buy them right now because you "own" them instead of actually own them so wtf is going to happen?
    According to the statement on the PS Blog you'll still be able to access all PS+ games that are in your collection, same as any other content you've purchased from those stores.

This does seem like such a weird move, how hard can it be to keep those stores active?

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

THANK GOD!

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    This does seem like such a weird move, how hard can it be to keep those stores active?
    I believe the short-answer to this is that handling the constant catering cost of maintaining an online marketplace with thousands of titles is a very different thing than securing continued access to titles customers have already paid for... and the truth is that the titles available on the PS3/Vita/PSP store have almost certainly not been generating enough profit for Sony to justify keeping it running, and it's probably been that way for a long time. HOWEVER, the reason that this is the case is because NOBODY IS USING A PSP/PS3/VITA to buy digital content anymore. I have been a pretty big defender of the Vita as a really underrated device, but the last time I actually bought anything for it was maybe a year ago.

Though, if they actually made the PS5 backwards-compatible and surprised us all by adding a subsection to the PS5 store where all of this content would now be available to purchase on PS5...
    I know, it's probably not gonna happen, because the guy who is now the CEO of Sony Entertainment sounds like a villain from one of the Revenge of the Nerds movies, but I guess I can hope they'll make a proper business decision here...

Because in case people didn't know, you can mod a PS4 to play all this stuff now w/ homebrewed firmware, so all of Sony's claims that it wasn't possible and all that... it's bullshit. And if we're now at the juncture where people at home are bored and modding their PS4 to pretty much prove Sony was lying about its ability to seamlessly play PS1/2/3 content, I'm sure we can all agree the PS5 should be equally capable. Because if not, why are we buying this piece of shit?

Oh wait... that's right... by and large, we ARE NOT buying it, because it is impossible to get nearly a year after its launch for a reasonable price because Sony released this thing like they'd never done this sort of thing before.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 03-30-2021 at 10:00 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    According to the statement on the PS Blog you'll still be able to access all PS+ games that are in your collection, same as any other content you've purchased from those stores.

huh. it's still such a dumb thing though that you can't buy a PS+ game because you 'own' it. I guess it's good for Sony though because it means you are constantly re-upping to keep access.

I do hate how every time you reup it moves all the PS+ games to the top of your download list though.

PS - I wish wish fucking wish that companies would see this as a reason to patch their games that call out to the store when opening. Rock Band for one, Rock Band Blitz for sure, I can't play RBB without turning the internet off to the PS3 because it keeps dying on "checking store" when it gets an error because the servers are down. I just want to play the damn game as intended, fix the fucker. (none of the power-ups work if you're not connected so it's impossible to get a high score)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    It just baffles me that people actually expected these stores to stay up for however many years they thought it would. We're getting into almost 20 year territory here with some of these devices. What really sucks is the amount physical copies are already going up; go check how much a Silent Hill game is now.. Or even Metal Gear for that matter. It is incredibly disgusting.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 03-30-2021 at 11:35 AM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    It just baffles me that people actually expected these stores to stay up for however many years they thought it would. We're getting into almost 20 year territory here with some of these devices.
    Perhaps it's an apples and oranges thing because PCs are an open platform not ruled by any one company vs. a console manufactured by a single company but ever since the move from PS3 to PS4 and now PS5 i have thought of the PSN store as one all encompassing service for their consoles, the same service you access no matter what generation of device you have. It's the same account and infrastructure, the only delineation is the hardware and which games are capable of running.

I think about Valve's Steam service on the PC, you mentioned the PS3 will be approaching 20 years old in a few years? Shit, my Steam account is nearly that old (going on 17 years this May), now granted Steam as a service took a few years to grow and begin to sell third party games as opposed to just being a delivery system for Valve's own games but by the time of the PS3 and the Xbox 360 it was definitely making it's mark in the digital gaming sphere.

There are games coming and going from Steam constantly but the sheer number of titles available at any given time and the data centers, customer service and payment processing it must take to run all of that and STILL this is a platform that doesn't charge you to play online or any of that bullshit. It just makes me wonder, is Sony not able to measure up to that kind of service or what? Or is it not a matter of what they're capable of but the actual work they are willing to put in?

I never thought of Valve as a company that could actually run circles around a massive corporation like Sony but if Steam can do it, what's really stopping Sony besides just choosing not to maintain everything? @Jinsai had some good points but i still struggle to really see how it would affect them all that much.
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 03-30-2021 at 09:53 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Didn't mean to sound so absolute. You sort of answered your own question with in regards to if Sony can pull it off, because they have showed signs of not even being able to handle the simplest of aspects like navigating through menus without the entire store freezing and security infrastructure.I just think it's a bit naive to think all of these stores would at some point work within each other after the constant neglect Sony has shown over and over; it really does suck. I agree with how Steam does things, I too have had a steam account for some time, but unfortunately Sony is not Steam. Believe me, I'm hoping they have something up their sleeve now that they have less servers to handle... PSnow is a thing, and I do use it from time to time, so when I play a PS3 game on it, and it converts the menu to a PS3 UI via a server, it is almost a smack in the face when the trophies start syncing. If they somehow were able to beef up PSnow and let you download the games instead of a select few, they may have something there because streaming just isn't the answer for most players out there.

It sucks that Sony has shown almost no interest in their past catalogues and treating them like afterthoughts. They throw some classics out there, a majority no one wants to play, and that's that. It really was no surprise to me that they were canning those stores, but the uproar is definitely valid.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 03-31-2021 at 01:41 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Started playing Days Gone, and I really like it.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Going to load up my PSTV with as many "exclusives" as i can so i can play them now. I adore my Vita/PSTV, but i have almost everything i want to play on it, the only other stuff were things i was waiting for a sale on (which won't happen now!) but yeah hardly anyone was buying stuff on PSVita/PSP anyone as there was only a handful of titles stull releasing. This is also the exact reason i'm so against digital only, stuff like this happens! It wouldn't be so bad if the titles were on other systems, but a lot are exclusive to the PSP/Vita/PS3 and have never seen ports anywhere. Hell i'm looking at my PSVita collection and almost all of them have gone from costing a few £ physically to being well over £50 each, it's nuts!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I totally forgot that I have a Vita TV...huh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Didn't mean to sound so absolute. You sort of answered your own question with in regards to if Sony can pull it off, because they have showed signs of not even being able to handle the simplest of aspects like navigating through menus without the entire store freezing and security infrastructure.I just think it's a bit naive to think all of these stores would at some point work within each other after the constant neglect Sony has shown over and over; it really does suck. I agree with how Steam does things, I too have had a steam account for some time, but unfortunately Sony is not Steam. Believe me, I'm hoping they have something up their sleeve now that they have less servers to handle... PSnow is a thing, and I do use it from time to time, so when I play a PS3 game on it, and it converts the menu to a PS3 UI via a server, it is almost a smack in the face when the trophies start syncing. If they somehow were able to beef up PSnow and let you download the games instead of a select few, they may have something there because streaming just isn't the answer for most players out there.

It sucks that Sony has shown almost no interest in their past catalogues and treating them like afterthoughts. They throw some classics out there, a majority no one wants to play, and that's that. It really was no surprise to me that they were canning those stores, but the uproar is definitely valid.
    Why streaming isn't the answer for most players? Just wonder.
    It is a pity for me that my favourite games are not available for PS 5 yet.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcenroy View Post
    Why streaming isn't the answer for most players? Just wonder.
    It is a pity for me that my favourite games are not available for PS 5 yet.
    Depending on where you live, you can have amazing, or downright terrible connection. My PS5 has a hard connection, and streaming Metal Gear Solid 3 still has problems. The game is definitely playable, but not the same by simply just downloading it like I did with Medievil.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    So since PS3's access to PSN is shutting down, i just went ahead and bought three PS1 games that i really wanted.

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, Medal of Honor and Medal of Honor Underground.

Just started a Blood Omen run, so good! but man the PS1 emulation was really dark eh? I had to turn the brightness on my TV from 50 up to almost 100.

I have all the other Kain games on Steam but the first one is nowhere to be found so i went with the PS1 version.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I think the game was just dark anyway iirc. How are the load times? I seem to remember there being load times on the vita version for some reason even though there wasn't a disc to load from.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I think the game was just dark anyway iirc. How are the load times? I seem to remember there being load times on the vita version for some reason even though there wasn't a disc to load from.
    Was it? I know it had the day and night cycles but man when night fell i couldn't even see where i was going, i couldn't even see the enemies. It was REALLY dark lol

The load times suck, going in and out of buildings, changing forms, loading new areas, bringing up the menus, exiting the menus. It all takes a few seconds for sure, desperately needs a remaster!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    the whole series needs a remaster! do a complete HD bump for all of the Kain / Soul Reaver games and put them on one disc or download.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    The RE8 demo! Finally some real fucking food!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    walking that back.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I wonder how many high ups had to bash this into his brain that it was indeed the wrong decision. So if they can indeed keep 2 out of the 3 stores up, it begs to question what they are still going to reveal (if there is one) with these resources they wanna focus more on.

Now to see how much money certain individuals threw at the store because they thought these games would be gone forever until further notice lol...

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Right after we all panic bought a bunch of games, damn pecker heads!

Well at least they listened to consumers for once.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    just telling you, the best thing you can buy on the Playstation store is the Suikoden games, because they're going to be gone forever soon enough, outside of emulation/roms, and really, these are the best JRPGs of all time. Especially 2. Suikoden 2 is the best turn based Japanese role playing game that's ever been made. If you haven't played it you're crazy.

And sadly, there will never be a proper Suikoden collection, because Konami can eat shit.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    just telling you, the best thing you can buy on the Playstation store is the Suikoden games, because they're going to be gone forever soon enough, outside of emulation/roms, and really, these are the best JRPGs of all time. Especially 2. Suikoden 2 is the best turn based Japanese role playing game that's ever been made. If you haven't played it you're crazy.

And sadly, there will never be a proper Suikoden collection, because Konami can eat shit.
    Forgotten games sadly. I second this if you love JRPG's; they are truly gems.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    never got to play 2, but can say that the first Suikoden is easily, easily, one of my favorite games of all time. I forgot my team, but we were damn near unbeatable with my team attacks lol.

I wish it was available to play on the PS4...or even the Switch, because it's a perfect game for hand helds...