Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Playstation Thread

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

The Playstation Thread

I was going to make a thread for the PS Vita, but we might as well save space and keep all general Playstation Network/PSN Store/PS3/Vita-related news and discussion in one hub.

The latest rumor on the PS Vita is that it'll be able to play not just certain PS3 games, but 480p versions of ALL PS3-supported games - and future games may be made with an additional optimized resolution specifically for play on the Vita. If this is gonna be the case, then I'll definitely be investing in one if these babies. If not, I'll probably still be on the fence about it. Being able play all (or even just some) of my PS3 games on the go would make it a really sweet investment.

And in other news - I noticed that Plus members could get all of the PS1 Crash Bandicoot games for free in the PSN store. You bet your ass I downloaded every one!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My Playstation 3 makes a wonderful Netflix machine / Blu-Ray system.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Over the last year my PS3 has become my gaming machine of choice. It happened, in part because my X-Box is falling apart for the third time since I bought it, and is basically out of memory. I'm tired of paying for the XBox Live service and having to deal with their crappy Customer Service line. My Wii, which still function sand only very occasionally sees play, has succumbed to my former insane lifestyle and psychotic roomates, and is almost dead.

BUt my playstation strides along like a champ. NOw that I have an HD tv, HDMI makes everything look better than it would on the Xbox. And, yes, Blu-Ray, free online service, nice exclusive content, like Infamous and Little Big Planet. I'm not a fanboy, but PS3 is the bees knees as far as consoles go.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I'm gonna pick up a Vita for sure. Its got a new wipeout game on it.
    Anything else is just a bonus really.

I've always been a Playstation gamer, I've never really gotten into that many other consoles exclusives (Zeldas and Marios aside) so yeah, I'll be sticking with my big black whirring device for a while yet. This year, despite having an awesome line up of games, was pretty rough for Sony with the hack and all, but still, its all about the games for me.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Yeah, I want the Vita. My PSP is overused. Is it sad I use it more for music, internet and videos more than gaming? I bring it with me to school every day and plug it into my car's stereo to play it to relieve me of radio. I pretty much do it every day.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Yeah, I want the Vita. My PSP is overused. Is it sad I use it more for music, internet and videos more than gaming? I bring it with me to school every day and plug it into my car's stereo to play it to relieve me of radio. I pretty much do it every day.
    That was going to be my problem with the Vita. I didn't want to buy it and then end up only using it for things other than gaming if there weren't going o be a lot of games I wanted to play. But if it ends up supporting all PS3 games in a lower resolution format, I think that'll be the deal maker. Don't get me wrong, there are some Vita releases I'll be excited for, but I don't wanna drop 300 bucks on it and then only have enough expendable cash for a game or two until I can afford more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm thinking of picking up a Japanese-imported Vita and getting it sent to the UK when it's released later this month. A quick Google search tells me that the Vita will be region-free, which is great, but do we know if the Japanese-release Vita will support English-language menus etc?

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rémy View Post
    I'm thinking of picking up a Japanese-imported Vita and getting it sent to the UK when it's released later this month. A quick Google search tells me that the Vita will be region-free, which is great, but do we know if the Japanese-release Vita will support English-language menus etc?

Not sure, but considering that the PS3 does, I would assume that you can set the language options on the Vita as well. You might need someone to help you get to the settings panel though if it's all in JP as a default.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Naughty Dog are making something that isn't Uncharted! This fact (and the pretty cool trailer aside) makes me pretty happy.

“The Last of Us is a genre-defining experience that blends survival and action elements to tell a character driven story about a population decimated by a modern plague,” reads the description on the official TLoU channel “Abandoned cities are being reclaimed by nature and the remaining survivors are killing each other for food, weapons and whatever they can get their hands on. Joel, a ruthless survivor, and Ellie, a brave teenage girl who is wise beyond her years, must work together to survive their journey across what remains of the United States.”

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    What seems really appealing to me about The Last of Us is that it seems to take place waaay after whatever disaster took place. At least it was long enough for that girl to grow up, if she doesn't even remember seeing cities with people in them. It makes me think of the scenery in I Am Legend, which I absolutely loved.

Edit: In the last couple weeks, I've managed to get all the Spyro PS1 games AND all the Crash Bandicoot PS1 games for free. I have a feeling I won't regret going with Playstation Plus. You really do save more than you spend on a membership, and you can save all your save data on the network in case you lose it (would have been nice to have when my hard drive fried). I just got the 3-month subscription, but I might cash out for the year one once this one runs up.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 12-11-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Add me, fellas! SlimChonson

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)

Turns out to be a joke.

Anyway, I got to play around with a Playstation Vita the other day. If you live in the Los Angeles area, it seems Sony has opened a shop in Santa Monica. They don't sell anything there that I could see, but they let you play the new Uncharted game on Vita. It's kinda weird.

But yeah, Uncharted Golden Abyss is incredible.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    The Last of Us looks decent to great by that trailer. Might buy it...

Is it just me, or does the teen girl in that look like Ellen Page?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I just download FFVI off PSN, playing it now. Great port! I have it on PS1 and it was my intention to play it there, but the loading reeeeally impeded the experience :/ This is much better In all it's original 16-bit glory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Dragon age 2 - how the fuck do you kick the high dragons ass?!!

Great game but honestly think I'm stuck now!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaned View Post
    It's my 18th birthday today so I signed up for the playstation network and all that, but despite being 18 AND having disabled the parental controls, I can't play online Modern Warfare 3 because it says my parental controls won't allow it......help?
    Happy birthday!

Presumably someone else in your household has a master account on that PS3?

Get them to sign on, maybe they need disable the parental controls.

If not, reply with the exact error message (include any error codes) and well fix it for ya!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    just bought a PS3 today after months of waiting.

BEST. DAY. EVER.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Turns out to be a joke.

Anyway, I got to play around with a Playstation Vita the other day. If you live in the Los Angeles area, it seems Sony has opened a shop in Santa Monica. They don't sell anything there that I could see, but they let you play the new Uncharted game on Vita. It's kinda weird.

But yeah, Uncharted Golden Abyss is incredible.
    Good to know that Golden Abyss is incredible. I got a pre-order for a Vita and Uncharted for Christmas.

Have you guys seen the price for the memory cards for the Vita? Fucking ridiculous. A 8GB memory card is like $60 if I remember right.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nemesiswontdie View Post
    Have you guys seen the price for the memory cards for the Vita? Fucking ridiculous. A 8GB memory card is like $60 if I remember right.
    They're pricey, but not as bad as the first released prices. I think the 32 gig is 100, so I doubt the 8 gig is 60... Still pretty up there.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    They're pricey, but not as bad as the first released prices. I think the 32 gig is 100, so I doubt the 8 gig is 60... Still pretty up there.
    The 8GB is $29.99 now. Here's a link to all the prices: http://vita.ign.com/articles/121/1215455p1.html

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Has anyone used the video service on the PSN? I wanted to watch The Ides of March last night and the copy I ripped had the sound get fucked up about a half hour into it so I thought I'd give the service a shot and rent it. It took 90 minutes to download, fucking terrible. I figured that the rental service would be streaming or something, definitely not an hour and a half before I could watch it. And it was 6 bucks, I'll never use the video service again.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I want the Vita but it's going to be such a money pit with games, the system and memory. Consider me out of the curve of getting it for a while.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    Has anyone used the video service on the PSN? I wanted to watch The Ides of March last night and the copy I ripped had the sound get fucked up about a half hour into it so I thought I'd give the service a shot and rent it. It took 90 minutes to download, fucking terrible. I figured that the rental service would be streaming or something, definitely not an hour and a half before I could watch it. And it was 6 bucks, I'll never use the video service again.
    I used the rental service a while back, and I bought a couple movies to throw on my psp. To be honest it's been a long time, but I don't remember it taking that long. Then again, it seems like a lot of people have issues with slow downloads and updates on their ps3s, and I've never really run int that personally.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 02-01-2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Fucking autocorrect

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I want the Vita but it's going to be such a money pit with games, the system and memory. Consider me out of the curve of getting it for a while.
    I pre-ordered it from Best Buy this morning. I had $105 in Reward Zone certificates and a $25 gift card from Christmas so I ended up getting the Launch Bundle for $181.69. Have a $100 Amazon gift card coming from my credit card rewards so I'll use that to buy a case and maybe another game. The Vita looks pretty bad ass and I've got a little extra money at the moment so I figured why not. I doubt I'll buy many games for it unless they get a bit cheaper, I'll probably just Gamefly stuff for it.
    Last edited by kdrcraig; 02-06-2012 at 08:56 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I think I'll hold off until Black Friday for the Vita. No doubt it'll have an awesome bundle package for relatively cheap...Even if I had the cash now, I'd probably wait to see how well it does before I put any money down.

Any other Playstation Plus members in here? They announced their perks for February, starting tomorrow: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1217595p1.html

Free download of FF5, Simpsons Arcade Game, Far Cry 2, Sonic 1 and 2, and a bunch of other stuff.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by S. Chonson View Post
    Add me, fellas! SlimChonson
    Play Battlefield 3!

Quote Originally Posted by Jord View Post
    just bought a PS3 today after months of waiting.

BEST. DAY. EVER.
    GOOD FOR YOU.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Has anyone ever heard about not being able to play any used games on PS3? Preferably Uncharted?