Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: The Playstation Thread

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    New Console or a Revamped Network, I'm calling it.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: The Playstation Thread

I really have a hard time believing PS4. Doesn't seem like they need to. They're already way ahead, tech wise. A Vita price drop would be pretty nifty though.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Pretty sure Sony said they're going to wait for Microsoft to make an announcement about the next XBOX before they even say anything concrete. It will probably just be some more bullshit that Sony thinks is awesome but nobody actually cares about. Their marketing is god awful.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I wouldn't be surprised for it to be a PS4 announcement.

1. It's not a Vita price cut. You don't make a cg WOOSH WAH BLAAAAAAAH! teaser for a price cut

2. It's probably not a game, because you don't make a teaser for a game that just teases your brand logo.

3. It's actually the exact right time really. The PS1 came out in 1994 (95 in the US), the PS2 came out in 2000, the PS3 came out in 2006. They're not going to release it a week after the announcement, so to start hype about now makes perfect sense.

4. With regards to whatever they said about waiting for Microsoft to make an announcement... Sony is obviously playing chicken with their reveal. Neither side wants to show their hand to the public until they're sure they're on top. Saying "we're waiting for MS to say something" is a PR way of goading MS into a reveal.

5. Some specs for Sony's next gen system have been leaked recently, including info on dev kits. Unlike most of these leaks, this seems somewhat genuine. Who knows. Either way, there's no way that Sony isn't developing software for their next gen system at the moment. If the correct info has leaked, they might be just saying "fuckit" and making a big announcement.

6. This could also be another fake out to try to get Microsoft to make an announcement.

I'm expecting them to say "PS4 in time for Xmas 2013"
    I'm also expecting them to list a new Uncharted game as a launch day game.

I don't expect them to talk about Final Fantasy Versus, but if I were to be optimistic, they would finally reveal that it is now a PS4 (or Orbitz or whatever) game... along with some BS about how the game proved to be too awesome for the PS3 to handle. This would actually make perfect sense as to why the game has completely blipped off the radar for the past 2 years, with Square/Enix being hesitant to even talk about it. Really though, all I care about is that I finally get to play FFVersus, which at this point I want to see come to light much more than even a remake of FFVII (or any other game), because it was looking like it was going to be the best game ever made

I know I love the JRPGs a little too much, but if this was updated w/ nextish gen graphics, and a launch title, I'd buy the PS4 on day one.

Also, to reiterate the timing point (and drop my personal hope for a moment), it makes too much sense
    I would bet money it's a new system announcement... though I'd expect them to not announce the definite price or release date outside of a general "pre-holiday season" window
    Last edited by Jinsai; 02-01-2013 at 02:06 AM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Would they actually have enough time to market the console though and make sure they've really pushed the thing internationally? obviously they've had a lot of time to move things along and obviously technology has come a long way so it isn't going to take too long for development but look at the PS3 it was announced when... at a May 2005 E3? and it didn't even come out til Fall 2006? similarly with the PS2 it took them a full 12 months to push that thing out after first announcing it.

I don't know about them having it ready in time for the fall of this year even if they did announce it now, these things are such massive business ventures with a lot of marketing involved.. i would think they'd need maybe more than 8 months to really reel everybody in and make sure it's a done deal, they need to make sure so many things are in the right places.

Even still granted what i said about how far things have come technologically.

Maybe I'll be surprised.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

The Wall Street Journal says PS4.

http://m.kotaku.com/5980781/report-s...on-february-20

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    If that's the case then I guess my PS3 and 360 will be outdated and irrelevant in the next year and a half.

I hate console upgrading! Took me forever to get my 360 and PS3 to begin with.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

The Playstation Thread

I'm really wondering what the price on these new systems is going to be, I imagine it won't be good. I definitely won't upgrade to the next Xbox until all my friends that I play online with do, PS4 will probably be a different story if some release titles are series that I play which I'd imagine is a sure thing

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I think they'd be crazy to launch the PS4 at the same price they did the PS3 but you never know.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    That would be crazy, but this is Sony, they don't tend to learn from their mistakes.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    That would be crazy, but this is Sony, they don't tend to learn from their mistakes.
    They did launch the very powerful Vita at a respectable price.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    If that's the case then I guess my PS3 and 360 will be outdated and irrelevant in the next year and a half.

I hate console upgrading! Took me forever to get my 360 and PS3 to begin with.
    I hear you man, I'm always late to the party.

I didn't get my first "next-gen" console until about 4 years in to the PS3's run, damn things they were always so fucking expensive. So now i haven't really had as much time with it as everyone else and now they're going to stop making games for it once the PS4 comes out and I'll be screwed once again for any new games I'm interested in and will probably have to wait until half the gen has already passed by and it'll be the same thing all over again.....

Never fucking fails......

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    I hear you man, I'm always late to the party.

I didn't get my first "next-gen" console until about 4 years in to the PS3's run, damn things they were always so fucking expensive. So now i haven't really had as much time with it as everyone else and now they're going to stop making games for it once the PS4 comes out and I'll be screwed once again for any new games I'm interested in and will probably have to wait until half the gen has already passed by and it'll be the same thing all over again.....

Never fucking fails......
    Well, look on the bright side. You get to buy the system for a fraction of the price that the new adopters do, and you get access to the entire library at a discounted price in the "greatest hits" edition. Also, new software for the PS3 will still be around for a couple more years at least.

but yeah, if Sony's lineup is anything to go by, they're cutting it off after The Last of Us and Beyond. I wonder whatever happened to The Last Guardian? Maybe that's also been shifted to PS4 development.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    While of course it could still change a bit, an apparently very real PS4 prototype controller has been photographed.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I don't know... it's possible it's a prototype, but there's no way it'll be launched looking like that. The ridges on the analog sticks would definitely be an improvement though. the thing that makes me the most skeptical though is the touchscreen in the middle. Maybe it's just because that's nothing like what I expected, but I don't see how that could be very useful at all?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Looks very retro.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I can't stand the dual shock. Avoiding for another gen.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmya View Post
    I can't stand the dual shock. Avoiding for another gen.
    Maybe it's just because I'm so used to it, but I don't get what people have such a hard time with. Once upon a time, I managed to get by w/ the N64 controller, and if I can manage on that, I can make do with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Looks very retro.
    If it's real, the look is an unrefined prototype. The final version will be spiffed up and less game-gear looking.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 02-15-2013 at 12:02 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I kinda like the way it looks, a bit of spit and polish wouldn't be too bad, and you can't see the back, which is where most of the ergonomics are required. I remember when everyone shat themselves over the Wii U touch pad saying it was just too big, and it turns out its really nice to hold. so yeah.. I reserve judgement, I've been using a dual shock style controller since Ape Escape, a subtle change like this might be good, or I could pick it up and go 'ewww!' and throw it to the ground.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    it's weird how it looks so much cooler from a slightly different angle

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Well, look on the bright side. You get to buy the system for a fraction of the price that the new adopters do, and you get access to the entire library at a discounted price in the "greatest hits" edition. Also, new software for the PS3 will still be around for a couple more years at least.

but yeah, if Sony's lineup is anything to go by, they're cutting it off after The Last of Us and Beyond. I wonder whatever happened to The Last Guardian? Maybe that's also been shifted to PS4 development.
    I should also mention that details regarding The Last Guardian‘s release is solely decided by Sony Computer Entertainment, not myself. Please keep an eye out for their official announcement.” - Fumito Ueda former head of Team ICO

There's a rumor going around that it's a PS4 launch title. If that's true I'm glad it's not lost, but I'm not ready to invest in a new console yet.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    it's weird how it looks so much cooler from a slightly different angle

Wow, it really does. Looks a lot more sleek.. and I didn't even notice the speaker holes under the screen?

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Wow, it really does. Looks a lot more sleek.. and I didn't even notice the speaker holes under the screen?
    Also mystery headphone jack...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Talk about backwards compatibility of PS3 games and Last Guardian being a launch title have me interested again. I'd like to see what MS have to offer, but talk is power/grunt is being compromised to support other non-game related things. I'll have to wait and see if these 'things' are awesome or dud.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Also mystery headphone jack...
    Ahh, I see I see. Interesting that they would put a jack on there since everything is wireless obviously. I wonder if it is a standard size jack?

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Ahh, I see I see. Interesting that they would put a jack on there since everything is wireless obviously. I wonder if it is a standard size jack?
    Yeah, I don't know... if I were to make a guess, the headphone jack is for headphones, and that grill that looks like a little speaker is actually a microphone? building a headset into ever controller would be a good way to reverse the trend of people on PSN commonly not having headsets.

Whether or not that's a good thing though...
    Also, how much is one of these things going to cost?! standard dual shock controller + PS Move sensor + touchpad + possible microphone?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Yeah, I don't know... if I were to make a guess, the headphone jack is for headphones, and that grill that looks like a little speaker is actually a microphone? building a headset into ever controller would be a good way to reverse the trend of people on PSN commonly not having headsets.

Whether or not that's a good thing though...
    Also, how much is one of these things going to cost?! standard dual shock controller + PS Move sensor + touchpad + possible microphone?
    I would guess headphones as well. Maybe there will be a way to access the music library one would have from the PS to the controller itself.. maybe even a playback function through the speaker? Also maybe for certain games it might have some functionality with the speaker and the game. Hopefully the announcement will have some more answers.

And the cost I don't even want to think about. Since the DS3 goes for about 50 bucks.. I can see these costing easily $100.00. But what about games?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I want the PS1 boot screen back. That was like magic!

Last edited by profane; 02-17-2013 at 07:54 AM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Truly identifiable and classic. I knew I was playing PS when I heard the sound of the PS Logo splayed across the screen.