Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: The Playstation Thread

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    It still looked pretty neat staring at metal floors.. just not.. as neat.. Looked to me like Fallon was playing up to the camera a bit.. I thought that was the point? </english>

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury View Post
    The reason the PS3 didn't initially take off like the XBox 360 is because of this very reason: They put in backwards compatibility in the early models and it drove the price of the system up
    This is just absolutely untrue. Do you remember how hard it was to get a PS3 when it first launched? The thing was 600 bucks, and people were lining up outside stores overnight to get one. I had to search everywhere to get one, and every store I checked for a month was sold out.

And that was with practically NO games that people wanted to buy. There was Genji: Tales of the Blade or some shit, and Lair, a game that is now brought up only as a joke.

I can guarantee you, if there was a limited edition version of the Ps4 that featured backwards compatibility, was a 100 bucks more expensive, and came with a cheap plastic statue of Crash Bandicoot, it would sell out so fast you'd see copies being sold on Ebay for twice the face value. It's not that much of a niche market.

EDIT: but yeah, the new Killzone looks pretty great. It's actually making me want to pick up part 3 again and finish it at some point.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 02-22-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: The Playstation Thread

The price tag for the PS3 at launch was what held me back from it. No way I couldve afforded a 500-600 dollar console. Still to this day I think it's too much for anyone to pay. I'm most likely going to buy a PS4. Question is: when? And that all depends on the price.

And to combat the PSN nonsense. Maybe, I'll upgrade my HDD and download everything worth keeping just in case (a matter of time) they take PSN down and you lose everything you bought on there.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    The price tag for the PS3 at launch was what held me back from it. No way I couldve afforded a 500-600 dollar console. Still to this day I think it's too much for anyone to pay. I'm most likely going to buy a PS4. Question is: when? And that all depends on the price.

And to combat the PSN nonsense. Maybe, I'll upgrade my HDD and download everything worth keeping just in case (a matter of time) they take PSN down and you lose everything you bought on there.
    If they remove all the stuff I've bought from the PSN without ample warning, that's gotta be breaking some kind of law.

And yeah, the price was prohibitive when the PS3 launched, but a lot of people seem to forget how hard it was to get one because it sold out everywhere regardless. Thinking back on it, the main reason I got a launch unit was to play the PS2 games I had sitting on the shelf that I hadn't gotten to yet (because my PS2 was broken).

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    If they remove all the stuff I've bought from the PSN without ample warning, that's gotta be breaking some kind of law.

And yeah, the price was prohibitive when the PS3 launched, but a lot of people seem to forget how hard it was to get one because it sold out everywhere regardless. Thinking back on it, the main reason I got a launch unit was to play the PS2 games I had sitting on the shelf that I hadn't gotten to yet (because my PS2 was broken).
    I'm sure there will be a warning. I'm betting that we'll even have at least a few years (hopefully) before they pull the system down.

And Joystiq just reported that games will cost no more than 60. That's a relief.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Dude, everything sells out the first day, that doesn't mean anything. It's a matter of how it fares over the months that follow, and the price of the Xbox compared to the price of the ps3 made it much more desirable for most people. So no, what I said was not untrue at all.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    From what I remember, I had no problem getting a PS3 when it came out.. Actually, Best Buy had tons of them when I went to buy one. Regardless, I do not understand why people even complain about a price anymore. Yea, the PS3 was ridiculous when it came out, but now I think people should expect Sony to learn from their mistakes and make it affordable this time around. $400.00 or $500.00... I'm sure there will be a bundle of some sort, the exclusives.. count me in.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    From what I remember, I had no problem getting a PS3 when it came out.. Actually, Best Buy had tons of them when I went to buy one. Regardless, I do not understand why people even complain about a price anymore. Yea, the PS3 was ridiculous when it came out, but now I think people should expect Sony to learn from their mistakes and make it affordable this time around. $400.00 or $500.00... I'm sure there will be a bundle of some sort, the exclusives.. count me in.
    I'm really hoping it's no more than 500. That I can afford.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    The shop I worked at when the Ps3 launched had loads.. it took us ages to shift them, we were lucky to sell one a day.. It wasn't until the 40GB version with no backward compatibility came out things started to pick up.. which is when I picked up my 60GB which I still have (well.. it got replaced on warranty after it YLOD'd) but no.. I don't use the backward compatibility that often.. I replayed Shadow oft the Colossus before the HD coction was confirmed. If the ps4 streams the other games I own then fine, but I think the ps3 will simply stay where it is until they confirm how everything works.. plus I've got a 500gig hard disk full of PSN games and its not like they feel dated in anyway.. Its odd in fact.. I was buying PS2 games right up until I got the PS3, and they really didn't feel that dated until I went to play a game and realized I hadn't moved anything off the PS2 shelf in over a year. I last 'new' game I picked up was Persona 4 in 2008 and I think the only game I've played recently is Rez. I still have the slim Ps2 upstairs as a DVD player so no matter what, I can still play my PSx - PS2 games.. The psp's battery is a bit dead now though..

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Regardless, I do not understand why people even complain about a price anymore.
    It's because regardless of a gamer's socioeconomic status the sheer love toward it will always prevail and we'll always want to make sure we'll be able to afford our pleasures and entertainment, to be able to support a hobby so life isn't so damn dull.

Those of us working shit jobs and making less than 24,000 annual income would be over the moon if we could actually afford a little fun in our lives, having to live paycheck to paycheck and budgeting so strictly even with sacrificing some things it would be nice if products like this didn't seem so out of reach and we could actually get a bit of a reprieve for once.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    It's because regardless of a gamer's socioeconomic status the sheer love toward it will always prevail and we'll always want to make sure we'll be able to afford our pleasures and entertainment, to be able to support a hobby so life isn't so damn dull.

Those of us working shit jobs and making less than 24,000 annual income would be over the moon if we could actually afford a little fun in our lives, having to live paycheck to paycheck and budgeting so strictly even with sacrificing some things it would be nice if products like this didn't seem so out of reach and we could actually get a bit of a reprieve for once.
    I understand what you are saying, but what do you expect here? It's not like we are purchasing hardware that is equal to the Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis; This is new generation hardware.. people of all classes should understand this regardless of how much money you make as an individual that things that are equal to something as the PS3/360/PC is going to cost more than $300.00. It really sucks, but it is what it is.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidcalm View Post
    The shop I worked at when the Ps3 launched had loads.. it took us ages to shift them, we were lucky to sell one a day..
    This must have been a noticeable difference across the pond.

It was incredibly difficult to buy a launch system in the US, and if I'm wrong, I'll just say that I'm baffled that it was hard in Los Angeles and nobody was making an easy profit off me on Ebay shortly after. I ran around looking for a system forever, and the only one I found was marked up above 600 bucks. If I'd found a unit on Ebay for 650 I would have bought it.

So, well, this isn't what happened for me.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Dude, everything sells out the first day, that doesn't mean anything. It's a matter of how it fares over the months that follow, and the price of the Xbox compared to the price of the ps3 made it much more desirable for most people. So no, what I said was not untrue at all.
    The only thing I was pointing to was the fact that even though it was cost prohibitive and TOTALLY worthless at launch point, there was still a reason to buy a PS3. That reason was backwards compatibility for your broken system, along with an investment in playing new games that don't look like shit.

That was all I'm saying. I'm not attacking anyone, nor am I whining. I'm just saying why I'm not going to buy Sony's new console day-one. I'm sure they've worked my brand love into their strategy or some shit, but I'm not going to buy it. I'll wait until they talk me into it.

This is coming from someone who has bought sony system shit as soon as it's been released since the PS1.

So make of that what you will.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm all for backwards compatibility, believe me, I think it would be great, but a page or two ago you were all up in arms calling "bullshit" on Sony for not having backwards compatibility in this system, and I came to explain why that wasn't bullshit and that there were valid reasons for it not being that way beyond a desperate cash grab.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

The Playstation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post

1. It doesn't matter what price point Sony puts this out at. If it were to release at a price too low, third party sales would "correct" this.

2. It will never be cheap to be an early adopter of the latest generation whiz bang system. It's not like the previous generation system disintegrates on release day. Pretty typically they become more affordable.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I'm all for backwards compatibility, believe me, I think it would be great, but a page or two ago you were all up in arms calling "bullshit" on Sony for not having backwards compatibility in this system, and I came to explain why that wasn't bullshit and that there were valid reasons for it not being that way beyond a desperate cash grab.

and, on the other hand, you're also claiming "everything sells out the first day, that doesn't mean anything" which makes this a difficult conversation to keep up. I mean, you know that isn't true. Nobody's had a problem finding a Wii U or a Playstation Vita.

And yeah, I think it's bullshit when they say they can't do it. I think they're claiming that as part of the strategy to sell their streaming service. I obviously cannot know this, anymore than anyone can know with complete certainty that Sony is being honest about it. All I know with 100% certainty is that they were lying their asses off about how the PS3 can't play PS2 games, and hackers proved that to be true before Sony just came out and admitted it by selling PS2 games to people on PSN. There's still people out there who will say "they have no reason to lie about it."

If it comes down to it and I decide to get a PS4, I'll find a place for it alongside my PS3, even if I'd rather just have one device plugged in.

The thing is, backwards compatibility is mostly a transitional incentive. I haven't actually booted up a PS2 game in years. But when I first got the PS3, it was the majority of what I was playing on the thing. My major complaint, outside of me saying "gee I wish I could just get my way here" is that it's a HORRIBLE business decision. If it's true (which I believe it is).
    Last edited by Jinsai; 02-23-2013 at 10:56 AM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    The 60GB was the best version they made since it was the only model to have backwards compat. They messed up when they made a useless 20GB and discontinuing the only system that everyone wanted which was the 60GB. So all together there has been at least 12 different PS3's that have been produced... and Sony wonders where they went wrong here..

Well this is interesting..

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gamesgear/mi...says-50010502/
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 02-23-2013 at 11:52 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Sigh. I'm not going to explain the same things I just explained over again, but no you do not know with 100% certainty that it was bullshit that a PS3 (without a PS2 built into the inside, which the first models DID HAVE) was able to play PS2 games because they showed up on the online store months later. That doesn't prove shit, in all likelihood their developers ported them because *they* wanted more money. Anecdotal evidence is the most useless kind, which is what your "PS3s selling out everywhere" argument came from, and you also made a claim that people are now playing PS3 emulation games on a PC equivalent to PS4 architecture, but you've yet to back that up with any sources. I don't know why I'm bothering to argue with you, you're not showing any level of credibility.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Sigh. I'm not going to explain the same things I just explained over again, but no you do not know with 100% certainty that it was bullshit that a PS3 (without a PS2 built into the inside, which the first models DID HAVE) was able to play PS2 games because they showed up on the online store months later. That doesn't prove shit, in all likelihood their developers ported them because *they* wanted more money.

No, and I'm honestly not trying to get into an argument here that anyone is really invested in, but hackers proved that they could run an emulator that could adequately run PS2 software on the PS3. It almost feels unnecessary regarding the argument when they're selling PS2 games on the PSN, but I might as well make the point.

The PS2 "classics" that they're selling on PSN aren't updated in ANY way. These aren't HD updates. They're fucking straight up emulated.

you've yet to back that up with any sources. I don't know why I'm bothering to argue with you, you're not showing any level of credibility.
    Jesus christ man. You don't think you're taking this a little too personally? I mean, even if you're 100% RIGHT what the hell, you don't think you're being a little too intense here?
    Last edited by Jinsai; 02-24-2013 at 02:01 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Personally? No, I'm not taking it personally, I just think you're throwing around a lot of nonsense and claiming it to be fact. Hacking and creating an emulator still requires the time and effort to create the damn emulator, and just because the games weren't HD updated doesn't mean they weren't updated to work with the PS3. You are acting like it would take no effort, no paid employees, no extra work whatsoever to make the previous generation of games work with the current generation systems, or the next generation, and I know that's not true. Oh yeah I also happen to be a game developer. Hmm, maybe I am taking it personally, haha.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Personally? No, I'm not taking it personally, I just think you're throwing around a lot of nonsense and claiming it to be fact. Hacking and creating an emulator still requires the time and effort to create the damn emulator, and just because the games weren't HD updated doesn't mean they weren't updated to work with the PS3. You are acting like it would take no effort, no paid employees, no extra work whatsoever to make the previous generation of games work with the current generation systems, or the next generation, and I know that's not true. Oh yeah I also happen to be a game developer. Hmm, maybe I am taking it personally, haha.
    I never implied they wouldn't have to pay to figure out how to do it, I just implied they should do it. I'm not saying this takes no effort, I'm saying they should put in the effort to make their console more appealing at the launch point.

I've also said that within a couple years, this will be pointless. I don't play old games anymore. But when I first got a Ps3 I mostly just played Ps2 (and 1) games on it.
    They need people like me to buy their system when they launch it. Without dorks like me, well, they sell some units, but they don't sell out.

I'm not raging or crying about it. I'm just saying why it's a horrible business decision, and yeah, I'm incredibly dubious. I'm not making this argument only because I'd rather only have one playstation plugged into my TV.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 02-24-2013 at 02:14 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    While I can understand from a technical perspective why PS3 back compatibility is going to be an issue, yeah PC emulators are slowly appearing, but its still a big ask to get two radically different architectures to play nicely, however I have no idea why Ps1 and 2 shouldn't just work.. I've got a 5 year old laptop that can do both easily. Personally I think it might be something that comes 'down the line', much like PSP/Vita emulation of psone.. Never know, might announce something closer to e3... or 3 years down the line..

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I'm fine and have come to terms with the lack of backwards compatibility. Yeah, its a bummer. But it isn't the end of the world. My main problem comes in that when I finally excepted that fate, and rebought a majority of those albums from PSN, that was my way of getting over and it and accepting. And the fact that none of that will carry over is just wrong. This will be twice now that I'll be forced to transition.

No, backwards compatibility? Fine. My PSN purchases to replace that? No good.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    What the crap is up with the PS Store today? Funny how it does this conveniently when the new map pack comes out for black ops II.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

The Playstation Thread

The PS store is horrible. Half the time it doesn't even load for me and when it does it's a pain in the ass to find anything. It was better before they "improved" it.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    The original PS store was so much better. Now, when I want to check for the new games that came out this week, I have to maneuver through a system that seems intentionally counterintuitive. At least the store on the Vita is more or less the way the original PS store was (at least for now).

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    The PS store is horrible. Half the time it doesn't even load for me and when it does it's a pain in the ass to find anything. It was better before they "improved" it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    The original PS store was so much better. Now, when I want to check for the new games that came out this week, I have to maneuver through a system that seems intentionally counterintuitive. At least the store on the Vita is more or less the way the original PS store was (at least for now).
    I said the same thing awhile back. The design and layout is borderline retarded. The features are stupidly laid out and slow to load.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Just curious if anyone would want to Gameshare their Black Ops 2 Season Pass with me in exchange for BF3 Premium I have all of the BF3 expansions, just really wanting the BO2 season pass. Thanks

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

MOVE controller worthwhile?

I was considering buying a move controller - anyone got one and like them? Does anyone think they will become obsolete when the PS4 comes out?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    The only games I enjoyed with the Move were Tumble and Child of Eden. Some say they are great for FPS but I never really cared enough to try it for more than 5 mins. You an do some fun hacking with a PC though and make them fun inputs for art projects etc!
    I think there will be some support for early PS4 games (media molecule was using them for their Ps4 demo) but other than a couple of niche indies I don't see it being a huge thing.