Thread: The Playstation Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    I love seeing the knee jerk reaction of the gaming press/community. They have to be some of the most shortsighted, and silliest of the fanboy communities out there.
    funny you should say that, since your comment here seems pretty flagrantly fanboyish

Do people honestly believe the x1 is dead?
    what publication said that? Everyone seems to be implying that Sony won e3 hands down... And yeah they obviously did.

Do they not realize sony HAD to price this console below the X1.
    No they didn't. What kind of bullshit logic is this? By charging less they make their product more appealing to most people, but they didn't HAVE to. Why did they HAVE TO make it cheaper?

THe PS4 doesn't come with it's crappy "move" peripheral (can't blame them), it doesn't come with any of that 3d garbage they were pushing, and it doesn't even come with it's "eye".
    good. I'd rather not be forced to pay for stuff I don't want.

The x1 comes with kinect, which from all accounts looks completely insane and ramped up from the one on the 360. Sure, for this demographic (people that actually follow E3) that may not be a big deal, but in the real world the Kinect moves units, lots of them. It brings in serious numbers for microsoft and the xbox brand.
    I don't care about Kinect, and I don't give a fuck if it sells units. You do, and yet you started this off complaining about fanboys...

Not to mention in terms of overall package the x1 is delivering a more robust experience.
    Robust? Jesus Christ... You're like an adbot

Is that worth $100 more? Maybe not for some. But to think that games on the PS4 wont have serious DRM implement when it's been a battle cry industry wide to curb used games (as if studios give a fuck if gamestop doesn't make money) is a serious oversight by the gaming press.
    what exactly is the oversight here? Are you actually trying to defend this drm bs in some vague and confusing way?

This industry will never gain respect if it continues to constantly blow up over every misunderstood detail/scenario/trade show.
    derp. Unless Microsoft changes their strategy completely, this isn't just a reaction to a show. They could have skipped the show altogether and filled people in on twitter. The reaction would have been the same. This isn't just a bunch of people bashing a bad performance at a trade show, they're bashing the proposed (and clearly outlined) business model that they'll be standing behind for the next decade or so.

It's laughable.
    "
    yes, it is
    Last edited by Jinsai; 06-11-2013 at 05:49 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    The price for this holiday could be a big factor.
    Just think about the parents who want to get their kids the new call of duty + console.
    even if you add the camera for parity the ps4 plays the same game, the same way, cheaper. If Sony can market that, well.. It just adds up. I remember when my parents got me my first playstation for Xmas, I think I'd asked for an n64.. Psx was cheaper (plus my dad wanted Toca)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Robust? Jesus Christ... You're like an adbot
    You could be on to something here; he might be on the payroll for some 'reputation management': http://www.businessinsider.com/micro...omments-2013-6

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    what publication said that? Everyone seems to be implying that Sony won e3 hands down... And yeah they obviously did.
    Yeah, knee jerk reaction.

By charging less they make their product more appealing to most people, but they didn't HAVE to. Why did they HAVE TO make it cheaper?
    I agree it makes their product more appealing. They had to do it because given the current numbers in the last few years they would have been obliterated pricing it at the X1s $500.

good. I'd rather not be forced to pay for stuff I don't want.
    This is a give and take. I can agree with you in terms of the PS stuff because they were so awful, poorly implemented, and no one cared about it. Regardless if you don't like the Kinect it did prove popular and from what has been shown, the new one could be a nifty little device even if you are not a fan of the original kinect games.

I don't care about Kinect, and I don't give a fuck if it sells units. You do, and yet you started this off complaining about fanboys...
    The point isn't that you care about Kinect. The point is that it's an added technology to the console, one in which Sony does not have. It's a reason why the X1 is priced higher. A price that can be justified considering the popularity Kinect has shown to have.

what exactly is the oversight here? Are you actually trying to defend this drm bs in some vague and confusing way?
    It's an industry issue that wont be going away any time soon. I guess bravo to sony for trying to fight for freedom? lmao, but I have to ask are they really or is this just smoke and mirrors? They still give the power to the publishers to lock you in.

derp. Unless Microsoft changes their strategy completely, this isn't just a reaction to a show. They could have skipped the show altogether and filled people in on twitter. The reaction would have been the same. This isn't just a bunch of people bashing a bad performance at a trade show, they're bashing the proposed (and clearly outlined) business model that they'll be standing behind for the next decade or so.
    Yah, well justified or not the gaming community overreacts too quickly to everything and backtracks constantly. We'll see what happens.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Yeah, knee jerk reaction.
    I think it's safer to infer that you're offering some knee jerk defenses.

This is a give and take. I can agree with you in terms of the PS stuff because they were so awful, poorly implemented, and no one cared about it.
    Whereas the Han Solo Kinect Dancing game was just great. What a robust experience.

The point isn't that you care about Kinect. The point is that it's an added technology to the console, one in which Sony does not have. It's a reason why the X1 is priced higher. A price that can be justified considering the popularity Kinect has shown to have.
    The point is there is no option to not get it. No thanks. I don't care if there's a demographic that will run out and buy the $500 Xbox One for Let's Dance 10. You might be overestimating how large that group is, but either way that impacts my world in no way.

They still give the power to the publishers to lock you in.
    No they aren't. They're allowing third party companies to include online passes and they can region lock their games if they feel like it, just like they do now. There's nothing different to the way it is now. NOTHING. To even compare this to the Xbox One's new DRM restrictions is desperate.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    No they aren't. They're allowing third party companies to include online passes and they can region lock their games if they feel like it, just like they do now. There's nothing different to the way it is now. NOTHING. To even compare this to the Xbox One's new DRM restrictions is desperate.
    Everything you said in your post is 100% true and I agree with it, but this point here is something that needs to be emphasized: Sony is literally changing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING from the current system. I don't know people are trying to dock Sony for this.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Jinsai, since this is all about you and what you want there is no real discussion to be had here, is there? Good day.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Actually Rabbit you made some good points that I never really thought about such as the pricing. You're right, the PS4 basically had to come in cheaper. With the systems having similar specs the Kinect wouldn't be cheap and probably would have always been the difference. The Xbone won't be dead but I do hope it struggles. This is coming from an xbot. The whole situation is shit because from a games point of view I think the xbone really out-did the PS4 yesterday. I just can't buy that thing they're proposing. I'm off to world of PC.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmya View Post
    Actually Rabbit you made some good points that I never really thought about such as the pricing. You're right, the PS4 basically had to come in cheaper. With the systems having similar specs the Kinect wouldn't be cheap and probably would have always been the difference. The Xbone won't be dead but I do hope it struggles. This is coming from an xbot. The whole situation is shit because from a games point of view I think the xbone really out-did the PS4 yesterday. I just can't buy that thing they're proposing. I'm off to world of PC.
    Some of it definitely comes off sketchy no doubt and it needs to be clarified but to blame Microsoft for this DRM, no used games, etc etc stuff is not fair. Publishers WANT THIS. They are struggling on returns, this is why we've had a drop in new IP. Once a publisher hits on a franchise you see what? 4,5,6 iterations? The costs of producing these titles have ballooned and the used game market does serious damage.

It's not like it was back in the day where you could buy/borrow/trade one or two games from a neighbor. With Gamestop, ebay, online, it's so much more effective to buy used games. There is no question that's great for purchasers but what about the makers of these titles? They get shafted. No one is crying for Call of Duty and Activision, but think of all the other sub 500k sold titles that don't get a sequel or studios shut down because a game doesn't crack 1 million sold (now it's pushing more towards the 1.5mill+ mark)

There has to be a balance. Microsoft is trying it but they did a poor job communicating what the fuck they're really intending on doing.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    There has to be a balance. Microsoft is trying it but they did a poor job communicating what the fuck they're really intending on doing.
    I don't think they've done a bad job at this at all. I think they've done exactly what they've wanted to do.
    Consoles are slowing becoming your Comcast or Direct TV set top box, and Microsoft is just speeding up the process. I don't care for that.
    My biggest problem is the whole used games bs, backwards compatibility and the must connect online at least once every 24 hours.
    The only people who see used games as a problem are the gaming companies. Microsoft seem to be coming off as though consumers are directly stealing from them.
    How many people go into Gamestop and buy used thinking "let's rip EA or Activision off?
    $500 for the system and $60 a pop for a game adds up fast. If you can afford everything new plus the broadband good for you.
    They seem to be treating the very people they spend thousands of dollars marketing these games to as thieves.

I've said in here before I think my major gaming days are over, but to me Sony looks better simply for coming across as less evil.
    At least it appears they are actually listening to consumers.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Jinsai, since this is all about you and what you want there is no real discussion to be had here, is there? Good day.
    Yeah, that made sense.