Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Thread: The Playstation Thread

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    All this is really to be expected w/ a general migration to a new platform. I guess the fact that PS4/5 will be "compatible" for a while is a strategy, and really it's not functionally that different than when you saw every PS3 game also come out on PS4. I remember reading some article about how it was daring for Batman arkham Knight to NOT have a PS3 version. Really, it was just eventual.

I also assume that bait like Demons Souls will of course NOT be available on PS4
    Yep, Demons Souls will only be on PS5.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    All this is really to be expected w/ a general migration to a new platform. I guess the fact that PS4/5 will be "compatible" for a while is a strategy, and really it's not functionally that different than when you saw every PS3 game also come out on PS4. I remember reading some article about how it was daring for Batman arkham Knight to NOT have a PS3 version. Really, it was just eventual.

I also assume that bait like Demons Souls will of course NOT be available on PS4
    All of those games are on a streaming service... Besides the remasters they released, you're streaming PS3 games in a crappy 720p, they aren't being re-worked or upgraded in any way. The jump from PS3 and PS4's graphic fidelity is a huge difference in hardware compared to the jump to PS4 to 5, so it's not like they were like hey! You can also play Infamous: Second Son on PS3! That announcement would be just as confusing as these were to fans.

I would like to get more details on how they are really approaching the PS4 versions. I'm not naive to the fact that we were going to get PS4 games on PS5, but they simply said these games were designed for "Next gen only" just to announce they really kind of aren't lol.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 09-21-2020 at 02:20 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I'm buying these consoles for graphics. If demons simply looks good I'll be fine. The game already plays solidly , but I never too a deep dive. We know it's a good game, it seems like a reasonable test of early hardware.

I think in this generation I wasn't really blown away until Arkham Knight and MKX, which were the first games without a last gen version. Today both of those games almost feel last gen compared to stuff within this generation... It's crazy. I'm not expecting anything to blow my mind just yet, I'm just impatient

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Infamous: Second Son kind of blew me away with the level of detail it gave to Seattle. Imo it still holds up after 6 or 7 years after it's release; its a hell of a pretty game.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Infamous: Second Son kind of blew me away with the level of detail it gave to Seattle. Imo it still holds up after 6 or 7 years after it's release; its a hell of a pretty game.
    Me too, I loved it.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Sooo.... Skip to the 15:00 mark.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    PS5 Teardown

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I hate that it just seems to be accepted that there will be no backwards compatibility

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    That's a gigantic heatsink, right? it just seems like a lot of the bulk of that thing is caught up in that alone.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    That's a gigantic heatsink, right? it just seems like a lot of the bulk of that thing is caught up in that alone.
    Correct. I am verrrryyy curious when it comes to the sizes of these things. Comparing both the breakdowns of each console, the XSX looks like it has absolutely no room to breathe and makes sense as to why Sony went on the beefier side. I'm dying to know how these consoles will run and even more curious as to how long that liquid metal will last.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    antonline.com is going to have limited presales available at 2 today. They only have bundles with games I don't care about so I'll wait for just the console, but just in case anyone is interested.

I found the presale through IGN, I know nothing about that website but it seems legit enough.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I hate that it just seems to be accepted that there will be no backwards compatibility
    This is my one huge gripe about the PS5. I've had countless discussions with people who don't really care for backwards compatibility, saying "well if you want to play old games just plug the PS1/2/3 in", however there aren't really any excuses for Sony on this one given the new Xbox will play pretty much the whole catalogue right down to the original Xbox (if I am correct, could be wrong). To have the ability to pop any of my old games in there & play any time without having to dig out the old consoles would have been a real nice touch as I do still go back to the old games every now and then. Even the PS4 was a step down from the PS3 in that regard, I used to be able to get all kinds of older games on the PS3 store a few years ago, it was excellent.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    antonline.com is going to have limited presales available at 2 today. They only have bundles with games I don't care about so I'll wait for just the console, but just in case anyone is interested.

I found the presale through IGN, I know nothing about that website but it seems legit enough.
    Well, that website SUCKED! The whole thing crashed for about an hour, and then when it finally went through everything was sold out.

RE: Backwards compatibility, I don't really understand it anymore. At the very least, I'll never get why the PS4 can't play digital PS1 games when my Vita can. The argument that I should just "plug in some old system" just to access my older library is asinine. I don't want to. I just want to be able to access it.

Why don't they just do a test market version... charge an extra 100 bucks for a fully backwards compatible version, limit it to 100,000 units, and watch it sell out in seconds. They could make a limited edition of a million units, charge $200 dollars extra and give it some nifty unique color/skin, and they'd sell out in seconds.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 10-13-2020 at 02:48 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    They can very easily (for them since they have all of the source code) emulate the PS1-PS3 on their system. If people in their free time can do it for the PC then Sony can do it, or outsource the emulation.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Back when the 60GB PS3 was released for $600.00, Sony was literally losing money on consoles sold so cut it out for production cost and we got the 40 and 80GB variants.They really shot themselves in the foot when it came to putting BWC in the PS4 since the PS3's architecture was way off course for what the PS4's turned into; not powerful enough to emulate that GPU the PS3 had. Data did show that people weren't even using the BWC feature that much even during the PS3 days.

Not even that, since they removed the BWC back with the PS3, Sony has slowly been moving away from it, no matter how much fans whine about it and they have been pretty vocal about it. I understand the convenience of it all... But how many of those old games are you really going to be playing?

I'm a purest, so could care less about BWC, but even if I wasn't, I'm not going to be super excited to buy a next gen console to play my 20 year old copy of Devil May Cry 2 that I never got around to.

Even if they could easily implement it into their console... I'm sure there is an architectural nuance as to why they don't do it. Who knows.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Ehhhhhhh, decent I guess. I don't see third party developers really utilizing it much.

And for a fun looky-loo I went to eBay and searched PS5 console in the search bar. Man, these scalper losers are gonna be taking impatient morons for a ride. Most consoles were priced $850.00-$1000.00.

Why not wait half a year or until 2021 until stock is back and retailers and Sony don't have their heads up their ass for the release?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Sony are removing the Wishlist feature for...some reason?! This kinda sucks for me, i used it to keep a track of games i was interested in so i could see when they were on sale and get them, there's about 30 odd games there that'll just disappear ...this is especially annoying as several are digital only so i can't even add them to my Amazon wishlist instead.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Ghost of Tsushima DLC is pretty dam great. Customization is added onto a lot, no gimmicks, playing with another person in story mode is quite fun even without communicating and can be quite challenging once you get to higher levels. There is a decent amount to dive into and with this being free? Some other studios better take note with what Sucker Punch did with this game.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I have astro Gen 4, thinking about selling the, for the ps5 headset.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Sony are removing the Wishlist feature for...some reason?! This kinda sucks for me, i used it to keep a track of games i was interested in so i could see when they were on sale and get them, there's about 30 odd games there that'll just disappear ...this is especially annoying as several are digital only so i can't even add them to my Amazon wishlist instead.
    I had close to 100 games on my wishlist, i guess i should have just made a Google doc or something. Goes to show you can't ever rely on something that might actually be useful and OMG did you see what they did to the WEB STORE? I never liked using the console app to browse the store I always went to https://store.playstation.com/en-ca/home/games in my browser.

IT'S FUCKING USELESS NOW, THEY KILLED IT!

Absolute shit to non-existent navigation, no sorting options for release dates or prices. Fuck Sony, ugh! Why the hell did they do this shit?

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I have a sneaking suspicion that wal-mart may have dropped the ball on my pre-order.

I got a shipping notification that my extra controller shipped and will be here next week.
    But when you click on the order and go to the site, beside the controller and the console, they both say shipped.
    But, the only charged me for the controller. I get the feeling I'm gonna end up with a PS5 controller and no console to use it with for 6 months.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    I have a sneaking suspicion that wal-mart may have dropped the ball on my pre-order.

I got a shipping notification that my extra controller shipped and will be here next week.
    But when you click on the order and go to the site, beside the controller and the console, they both say shipped.
    But, the only charged me for the controller. I get the feeling I'm gonna end up with a PS5 controller and no console to use it with for 6 months.
    All accessories were sent out early. Seems like they bundled your order together... This happens sometimes but I would definitely call just incase. If they took your money when you secured the pre-order, you should be good.

Showing off the adaptive triggers! I hope these things hold up lol...

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    I had close to 100 games on my wishlist, i guess i should have just made a Google doc or something. Goes to show you can't ever rely on something that might actually be useful and OMG did you see what they did to the WEB STORE? I never liked using the console app to browse the store I always went to https://store.playstation.com/en-ca/home/games in my browser.

IT'S FUCKING USELESS NOW, THEY KILLED IT!

Absolute shit to non-existent navigation, no sorting options for release dates or prices. Fuck Sony, ugh! Why the hell did they do this shit?
    Yeah the web store is absolute TRASH now! I can only think they don't want people to be able to price check stuff anymore? Like just use the PSN store on the system and that's it...it's fucking stupid! I added what i could before it died to my amazon wishlist, but there's a good chance i'll miss some digital only games (this is why i hate digital only!)

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    All accessories were sent out early. Seems like they bundled your order together... This happens sometimes but I would definitely call just incase. If they took your money when you secured the pre-order, you should be good.
    That's the issue... they didn't take my money with the pre-order. So, worries me they may have dropped the ball, but we'll see what happens as the weeks approach. I am not putting my faith in Wal-Mart.
    EB games? Best Buy? yeah... I'd put my trust in them. Wal-mart? Not so much lol. They've been known to fuck my online orders up.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Don't get too paranoid (yet), mine did the same thing on Sam's Club with my PS5 and membership order. I think it's common.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    That's the issue... they didn't take my money with the pre-order. So, worries me they may have dropped the ball, but we'll see what happens as the weeks approach. I am not putting my faith in Wal-Mart.
    EB games? Best Buy? yeah... I'd put my trust in them. Wal-mart? Not so much lol. They've been known to fuck my online orders up.
    I don't blame you at all lol. I got mine through Amazon and they usually don't charge until the item is about to ship for pre-orders and getting that dreadful email 2 days after saying I may not get it in time sucked... but I don't mind waiting at all.

They dropped the framerates to give it that Spider-verse feel from the movie. This is just too cool.

Showing off the fast load times.

Jim Ryan also announced PS4 games will be released up until 2022... Yea I think Sony will be just fine.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 10-30-2020 at 05:58 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I have a week off from work so I finally picked up my PS4 for the first time since early Sept. Finally getting around to starting Horizon. About 40 mins in and I love it so far. Downloaded Final Fantasy IX today, a game I actually have never played. Wanted an old school rpg to play. So I'm just going to bounce between those two games to help keep me distracted from the election news cycle.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    I have a week off from work so I finally picked up my PS4 for the first time since early Sept. Finally getting around to starting Horizon. About 40 mins in and I love it so far. Downloaded Final Fantasy IX today, a game I actually have never played. Wanted an old school rpg to play. So I'm just going to bounce between those two games to help keep me distracted from the election news cycle.
    Horizon is one of the best new IP's to come out in recent memory. You'll love it even more as the story progresses!

Final Fantasy IX is one of my favorite games from the series. The characters are all so unique, it brings you back to that old school FF feel from the early days and the system is easy to use and versatile and Zidane is such an underrated main character.