Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Lord of The Rings - New Amazon Series

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Lord of The Rings - New Amazon Series

When I was a kid, my mother would read the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit to me. Over the years I've grown to love all things related to Middle Earth and I'm completely geeking out over the fact that they're finally filming. Also, PETER JACKSON FTW! I have yet to see a film in 3D and have very little interest. That said, it appears that Peter Jackson is taking it on the best way possible.

The production videos that have been posted so far have been amazing.

http://www.thehobbitblog.com/?cat=1

Can we just fast forward a year so I can see the first part in theaters? ;)

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Hi set up for this movie enough to make any film techie jealous... 48 Red Epic's.. essentially converted into 24 3-D Cameras, Why do you need 24 5K 3D camera's for? That's so nuts.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Although I am still excited about this film, I will always be a bit disappointed that we didn't get to watch Del Toro's vision of The Hobbit. I guess Jackson will give a greater sense of continuity with Lord of the Rings, which is probably a good thing for the box office, but Del Toro is much, MUCH better at creepiness than Jackson. And there is potential for a lot of creepiness in the Hobbit, despite the light-hearted spirit of the book.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Those video blogs are amazing! I love the look of the Dwarves, and the way they've conceived Mirkwood. And I can't wait to see what they'rte going to do with Smaug, but I think the casting there is spot on!

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Main theme to the Hobbit. Ahhhh Concerning Hobbits!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Absolutely loved this blog entry. Especially the ending.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgo View Post

Dwarven Legolas for the win.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Here's speculation about a possible Hobbit trilogy.
    Peter is currently in discussions with the studio to shoot more footage. It seems more likely that it would be for an extended version.

http://io9.com/5926074/peter-jackson...l-flick-in-two
    Last edited by Findus; 07-16-2012 at 01:21 AM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Hey cool, the mountain giants are in!

Nice video overall, got a good glimpse of lots of stuff and characters!
    Last edited by Alexandros; 07-24-2012 at 02:51 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    My friend had never read the book. I shamed her for a bit, then lent her my copy.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'm hoping they go with Riddles in the Dark, as opposed to The Desolation of Smaug, if the domain registrations are legit indicators of title considerations.

http://www.slashfilm.com/hobbit-film...s/#more-132369

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Oh, boy, I hope Jackson hasn't bitten off more than he can chew.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Oh, boy, I hope Jackson hasn't bitten off more than he can chew.
    Yeah I know Jackson said today that they are using the appendices from Lord of the Rings to flesh out more of the stuff that happens during The Hobbit but three movies just seems like too much, the book isn't even that long. I have faith that all 3 will be good and I'll definitely be going to see them, but I liked the idea of two movies a lot better.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Hobbit could easily be 2 movies and then the third be a bridge, it'll be fine! Did you hear at the premiere of rotk jackson admitted he'd submitted the film without watching it first? He knows his onions

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    The Hobbit doesn't need to be three movies. Part of what makes the story great is how direct and simple it is. It could have worked as a single film.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Hobbit could easily be 2 movies and then the third be a bridge, it'll be fine! Did you hear at the premiere of rotk jackson admitted he'd submitted the film without watching it first? He knows his onions
    There's nothing peculiar about that statement, considering he spent months editing it.

This photo says it all:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Question that hopefully someone might be able to answer for me:

Is there anywhere I could find more music similar to the song featured in "The Hobbit" trailer is currently playing before "The Dark Knight Rises"?

The song is called "Over The Misty Mountains Cold" and it's all sorts of awesome..and I would have to hear more stuff like this if it's out there.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blaileen View Post
    Question that hopefully someone might be able to answer for me:

Is there anywhere I could find more music similar to the song featured in "The Hobbit" trailer is currently playing before "The Dark Knight Rises"?

The song is called "Over The Misty Mountains Cold" and it's all sorts of awesome..and I would have to hear more stuff like this if it's out there.
    I'm assuming you're not looking for the obvious answer that is the LOTR soundtrack. The song itself reminds me mostly of the less festive Russian Red Army Choir type songs, I guess? Mostly. I'm pretty sure they're drawing from Slavic-Russian influences for the music of the Dwarves, the other dwarven track in LOTR (the one playing in the beginning of the Two Towers, as Gandalf falls with the Balrog) is also very reminiscent of (the more energetic this time) Russian Red Army Choir songs. That track is called Foundations of Stone by the way, look it up, the choir part starts around the 2:30 mark. The video below is quite close to "Over The Misty Mountains Cold" I think.

Last edited by Alexandros; 08-01-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    ^^^^
    Or perhaps something like this:

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    The Hobbit doesn't need to be three movies. Part of what makes the story great is how direct and simple it is. It could have worked as a single film.
    The third one will be a bridge between hob and lotr, so don't worry about it being dragged out too much. How many pages is the hobbit? Haven't read it since the 90s but remember 1 page = roughly 1 minute screenplay. I think seeing as they want to segue this with the lotr trilogy, it will have lots of material to that end that ddn't feature in the hobbit book.

Also orestes I would have to check but I would have thought multiple units would have been assigned to a titanic edit job (which was also against the clock) such as lotr - they definitely shot it that way (jackson was not present for a lot of the shooting, with 2nd 3rd etc units delegated to shoots under strict instructions). If not then I am truly astounded at his abillity

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    The third one will be a bridge between hob and lotr, so don't worry about it being dragged out too much. How many pages is the hobbit? Haven't read it since the 90s but remember 1 page = roughly 1 minute screenplay. I think seeing as they want to segue this with the lotr trilogy, it will have lots of material to that end that ddn't feature in the hobbit book.
    My copy is 317 pages, but that's with large print and occasional illustrations.

I understand that he's pulling from the LotR appendices to expand the story and bridge the two. I wouldn't have seen that as necessary, but maybe it'll work. I like Peter Jackson's LotR movies, but I've felt they occasionally dragged and sometimes wallowed in unnecessary melodrama. The Hobbit could have worked if it had been a somewhat less ponderous and serious entry, and took a more direct and simple approach to the story (like the book).

Who knows though. I have faith in Peter Jackson... even if The Lovely Bones was a horrible movie.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    There's nothing peculiar about that statement, considering he spent months editing it.

This photo says it all:

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Also orestes I would have to check but I would have thought multiple units would have been assigned to a titanic edit job (which was also against the clock) such as lotr - they definitely shot it that way (jackson was not present for a lot of the shooting, with 2nd 3rd etc units delegated to shoots under strict instructions). If not then I am truly astounded at his abillity
    Nope, it was just Peter Jackson and Jaimie Selkirk. The reason Jackson didn't get to view the film in its entirety before the premiere was due to time.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    That is honestly... Amazing! No wonder Sir Christopher threatened to resign from the academy if... Etc etc

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    My copy is 317 pages, but that's with large print and occasional illustrations.

I understand that he's pulling from the LotR appendices to expand the story and bridge the two. I wouldn't have seen that as necessary, but maybe it'll work. I like Peter Jackson's LotR movies, but I've felt they occasionally dragged and sometimes wallowed in unnecessary melodrama. The Hobbit could have worked if it had been a somewhat less ponderous and serious entry, and took a more direct and simple approach to the story (like the book).

Who knows though. I have faith in Peter Jackson... even if The Lovely Bones was a horrible movie.
    There is a maybe element... Lovely bones was bad (ditto frighteners)... A lot of tolkien nuts I know hate the films like most people hate the star wars prequels. Personally I loved them, I think if they take the same editorial approach (ie less songs), we will all live happily ever after.

No appropriate juncture has arisen, so may I just say - bad taste and braindead were bloody great. The trilogy and those are the reasons the benefit of the doubt I extend to PJ is endless

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    The third one will be a bridge between hob and lotr, so don't worry about it being dragged out too much.
    I think this has been debunked by Peter Jackson himself. It seems he's not going to add new material, but rather use much more of the already shot material, plus some few additions maybe, and also change the breaking points of the films. However it happens, the official word at this point is that the tale of the Hobbit (plus all the White Council and Dol Guldur bits) will be dragged on for three movies. There won't be a bridge movie.

At this point, I'm very apprehensive about it. If not a money grab, it seems at least like self-indulgence. Three movies is just too much for the Hobbit, even with all the extra bits. I hope I'm mistaken.
    Last edited by Alexandros; 08-01-2012 at 07:29 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I dunno... Everything I know first hand is from when Guillermo was in the chair (I know, massively out of date), but at that point smaug was fully animatronic (jizz) and the studio was pushing for 3 movies with a 3rd acting as a bridge. This info is courtesy of (SWIM) drunk scottish guy in hellboy 2 crew fleece who hangs around metal bars in camden town

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Three movies now?? Seems a bit much for The Hobbit. I would have been fine with just one long movie. Blahhhh.