Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Lord of The Rings - New Amazon Series

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Good, because as a trilogy they're a monstrous time-burglar.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    4-year bump. Insane.

So, Amazon reportedly has LOTR writers locked up in a room with a fingerprint scanner to prevent leaks for their show.

I guess we're keeping those Tom Bombadil details a secret, huh.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    4-year bump. Insane.

So, Amazon reportedly has LOTR writers locked up in a room with a fingerprint scanner to prevent leaks for their show.

I guess we're keeping those Tom Bombadil details a secret, huh.
    People are fucking weird.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Not sure where to put this, could have sworn there was another LOTR thread.

The home that Tolkien resided in and wrote the story of Middle Earth within the years 1930 - 1947 is up for sale. They want to turn the home into a centre for Tolkien. You can go to Projectnorthmoor.com to donate.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I know this thread is about the upcoming series, but I had to drop in and comment on the newly released 4K editions of LotR. Go seek them out, they’re fucking awesome. My lady gifted me them for the holidays.

Peter Jackson oversaw the restoration process, and they used the actual film negatives instead of digital copies, so the films look better than ever. The gross green tint of the blu-ray versions is GONE (https://twitter.com/calavera145/stat...481617922?s=21) and the colors look AMAZING.

Everything pops; it really felt like a fresh experience even though I've seen the movies countless amounts of times. The greens of the Shire, the autumn colors of Rivendell, the glint of armor, the shadows of Moria...even the costumes- I was noticing way more details than I did in previous versions. I’ve only made it through the Fellowship so far, but I can’t wait to see how good the other two look tomorrow. The sound has also been tweaked and enhanced.

I watch the trilogy annually, but this is a perfect reason to seek them out again if you’re looking for an excuse.
    Last edited by Mr. Blaileen; 01-01-2021 at 09:06 AM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blaileen View Post
    I know this thread is about the upcoming series, but I had to drop in and comment on the newly released 4K editions of LotR. Go seek them out, they’re fucking awesome. My lady gifted me them for the holidays. Peter Jackson himself oversaw the restoration process, and they used the actual film negatives instead of digital copies, so the green-tint of the blu-ray versions is gone. The colors look AMAZING. Everything pops. The greens of the shire, the autumn colors of Rivendell, the glint of armor, even the costumes- I was noticing way more details than I did in previous versions. I’ve only made it through the Fellowship so far, but I can’t wait to see how good the other two look tomorrow.

I watch the trilogy annually, but this is a perfect reason to seek them out again if you’re looking for an excuse.

The new sets don't have any of the special features, just the Theatrical and Extended cuts.

They also announced that sometime in the Summer of next year they will release one set containing both The Hobbit trilogy and The Lord of the Rings trilogy on 4k and Blu Ray with both Extended and Theatrical cuts with the old and new bonus features. I'm holding out for that set. Even though I couldn't give a shit about The Hobbit trilogy.

And they will release the Blu Rays in another box set to celebrate the 20th anniversary in the Fall of 2021.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ziltoid View Post
    The new sets don't have any of the special features, just the Theatrical and Extended cuts.

They also announced that sometime in the Summer of next year they will release one set containing both The Hobbit trilogy and The Lord of the Rings trilogy on 4k and Blu Ray with both Extended and Theatrical cuts with the old and new bonus features. I'm holding out for that set. Even though I couldn't give a shit about The Hobbit trilogy.

And they will release the Blu Rays in another box set to celebrate the 20th anniversary in the Fall of 2021.
    Yup, I knew that was the case. I'm still holding onto my mega blu-ray sets with all the extra discs of special features, so I gave my lady the green light to get these for me when she asked if I was interested. I'm skeptical that the 'new' bonus features included with next summer's releases will be anything too crazy- they would have been included in previous editions if so, IMO. I'll happily shell out some cash if I'm wrong, though.

For now, I just wanted the remastered films. They're expensive, but they're so worth it. They look and sound amazing.

I was fortunate enough to get the steelbook version, and they look fantastic.

Last edited by Mr. Blaileen; 12-30-2020 at 12:48 AM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    These are only in 4k tho, right? As I havent upgradet yet, but resent spending money on a green tint Version...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ziltoid View Post

honestly, the 9 hours of bonus features for each of the three hobbit movies (so almost 30 hours total) are AMAZING and so fun to watch, even if the films themselves suck.

Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    These are only in 4k tho, right? As I havent upgradet yet, but resent spending money on a green tint Version...
    huh?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I'm sorry, is a 4k BR compatible with a normal BR player? Or is this remaster coming out in regular BR as well? I know there was a recent BR release of the extended versions, but they put the "green tint" version of The Fellowship in there. So that's why I'm hesitent to buy those...

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    I'm sorry, is a 4k BR compatible with a normal BR player? Or is this remaster coming out in regular BR as well? I know there was a recent BR release of the extended versions, but they put the "green tint" version of The Fellowship in there. So that's why I'm hesitent to buy those...
    So far there are reports that the remaster has removed the green tint from the old Blu-Rays and it's a complete remaster and color correction. Click here for more information.

Unfortunately, 4K Blu-rays will not work in a standard Blu-ray player. You would need to buy a 4k Blu-ray reader. As well as buying HDMI compliant 4k cable and a 4k TV to take advantage of 4K movies. HDR, HDR 10+ and Dolby Vision are other visual 4K standards that also will be hardware dependent.
    Gotta make sure the TV supports those formats as well as a receiver that has ARC pass through on one of the HDMI ports for the corresponding surround sound to work.

It sounds more complicated than it is. Eventually if you want to upgrade your components just make sure its Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision compliant.
    If you can't take advantage of the standard don't worry it will down convert to the other standards automatically.

In the fall of 2021 they will release standard Blu-rays of the remaster to coincide with the 20th anniversary of Fellowship of the Rings. Not much more info on this so far but, I'm sure the closer we get to that time, they will release more information.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blaileen View Post
    I know this thread is about the upcoming series, but I had to drop in and comment on the newly released 4K editions of LotR. Go seek them out, they’re fucking awesome. My lady gifted me them for the holidays.
    Actually just got this as an Xmas present for my brother. It's cute that it comes with a ring on a necklace.

Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    honestly, the 9 hours of bonus features for each of the three hobbit movies (so almost 30 hours total) are AMAZING and so fun to watch, even if the films themselves suck.
    Oh I will need far more than a casual assurance that this is worth 9 hours of my time than that... Those movies SUCKED. It was like watching someone else play God of War quick-time events.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 12-31-2020 at 06:28 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I don't hate the Hobbit movies nearly as much as the majority does. They have their moments that make you feel like you're still in Middle Earth with charming and touching scenes. Not nearly as enjoyable or good as the LOTR Trilogy, but I find myself watching whenever they're on.

Ima wait out for the next release as well. I keep forgetting my PS5 is a 4k player .

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I actually enjoyed the first two Hobbit movies more than the LOTR trilogy. The final Hobbit movie was a little bleh though. I felt more lost in the world with The Hobbit movies. There’s a bit of special effects/green screen stuff in the LOTR movies that bug me a bit. I saw that they did fix the LOTR extended versions coloring issues. I've watched the extended versions more than the theatrical and something always felt off with the look. I would like to see these new 4K versions. Be nice to rent the new 4K versions digitally.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I actually enjoyed the first two Hobbit movies more than the LOTR trilogy.
    Last edited by Alexandros; 01-02-2021 at 01:26 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
    I think the problem with the LOTR movies is if you haven't read the books, the characters feel a bit flat and one dimensional. Aragorn is supposed to be this great fighter and leader, and I just don't feel it. The movie tries hard to TELL he is some amazing leader, but it doesn’t show it. Elijah Wood is pretty dull. Him and Sam are boring. I find Martin Freeman more enjoyable. I liked his and Gandalf's relationship. I felt Thorin had more depth to him as a leader struggling with his role. The Mirkwood scene in Desolation was pretty cool too. I felt more enveloped in the world with the Hobbit movies.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I think the problem with the LOTR movies is if you haven't read the books, the characters feel a bit flat and one dimensional. Aragorn is supposed to be this great fighter and leader, and I just don't feel it. The movie tries hard to TELL he is some amazing leader, but it doesn’t show it. Elijah Wood is pretty dull. Him and Sam are boring. I find Martin Freeman more enjoyable. I liked his and Gandalf's relationship. I felt Thorin had more depth to him as a leader struggling with his role. The Mirkwood scene in Desolation was pretty cool too. I felt more enveloped in the world with the Hobbit movies.
    I was just poking a little fun. But seriously, I agree that LOTR characters are somewhat one-dimensional, even in the books they're not that deep (barring a few exceptions maybe), it's mostly the lore and story surrounding them doing the work. But I simply can't find anything in the Hobbit movies that would make them better movies than the LOTR trilogy. Sure, some precious few scenes are on the mark, and Martin Freeman's portrayal of Bilbo was as good as anyone could hope, but all of this is buried under tons and tons of needless, badly thought out and dismally executed ideas and filler. The LOTR films, regardless how you like them, felt like a labour of love for everyone involved. The Hobbit films felt like a chore.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    the only thing that screws up the Lord of the Rings movies for me is Orlando Bloom. He is a terrrrrrrrrrrrible actor. Every time he speaks, the movie just got worse.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Aragorn is supposed to be this great fighter and leader, and I just don't feel it.
    I respect your opinion, as wild as it is .

But yea, the books portray him as a cheat code pretty much, but all the dude does is whip ass and lead throughout the entire series. I think what we got was enough, but I don't see Aragorn/Strider as one dimensional at all. I do agree Thorin felt a bit more deep in that regard, but they are also two completely different characters personality wise.

I do agree, Orlando Bloom is pretty bad, but I thought he portrayed Legolas just fine.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    the only thing that screws up the Lord of the Rings movies for me is Orlando Bloom. He is a terrrrrrrrrrrrible actor. Every time he speaks, the movie just got worse.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    September 2, 2022 is the working release date for this painstakingly awaited series.

Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 08-02-2021 at 09:51 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I hope there's a real trailer soon because just repeating what was said in the movie over a oddly-poor CGI rendering isn't selling me on the series at all.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I hope there's a real trailer soon because just repeating what was said in the movie over a oddly-poor CGI rendering isn't selling me on the series at all.
    Funny you should say that, because it wasn't CGI. It was filmed with a high speed camera, which can definitely cause an unnatural appearance to liquids, as we never see them move that way with the naked eye.

https://www.ign.com/articles/lord-of...title-creation

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    wow, ok I'm suitably impressed now. thanks!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    wow, ok I'm suitably impressed now. thanks!
    I'm excited. I'm sure it will be reasonable. Hell, my wife's NAME is Lorien, and that was definitely part of the original attraction- Lady of Lorien and such.

(i just wish it was The Dark Tower, is all. We already got a glorious LoTR adaptation, grumble grumble.)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I'm excited. I'm sure it will be reasonable. Hell, my wife's NAME is Lorien, and that was definitely part of the original attraction- Lady of Lorien and such.

(i just wish it was The Dark Tower, is all. We already got a glorious LoTR adaptation, grumble grumble.)
    But this is not a remake of the Peter Jackson trilogy. I was confused by the title too at first, until I read about the synopsis. This series take place in the Second Age and will deal with the forging of the Rings of Power and of the One Ring. I guess we'll see the "birth" of the Ringwraiths and of the Witch-King, and maybe, maybe we'll finally see Glorfindel as he was the one who prophesied that the Witch-King would not be killed by a man. Then again, there is a lot that happens in the Second Age that I would love to see.

Peter Jackson's LoTR is set in the Third Age.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    But this is not a remake of the Peter Jackson trilogy. I was confused by the title too at first, until I read about the synopsis. This series take place in the Second Age and will deal with the forging of the Rings of Power and of the One Ring. I guess we'll see the "birth" of the Ringwraiths and of the Witch-King, and maybe, maybe we'll finally see Glorfindel as he was the one who prophesied that the Witch-King would not be killed by a man. Then again, there is a lot that happens in the Second Age that I would love to see.

Peter Jackson's LoTR is set in the Third Age.
    AWESOME!
    My mother focused on symbols from Tolkien to help induce a trance like state when giving birth to me.
    My wife's name was the result of her mother perusing the Silmarillion.

We both read the Hobbit when we were 3 or 4 years old.

We're really excited for ANYTHING Tolkien.

(except for the part where it isn't The Dark Tower; we'd both be ten times more excited for The Dark Tower, grumble grumble.)