Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Lord of The Rings - New Amazon Series

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    There is a maybe element... Lovely bones was bad (ditto frighteners)... A lot of tolkien nuts I know hate the films like most people hate the star wars prequels. Personally I loved them, I think if they take the same editorial approach (ie less songs), we will all live happily ever after.

No appropriate juncture has arisen, so may I just say - bad taste and braindead were bloody great. The trilogy and those are the reasons the benefit of the doubt I extend to PJ is endless
    maybe it's just because of how old i was when i first saw it, but i love the frighteners. it was one of the first really scary things that also made me laugh.

anyway, my girlfriend (who is a huge tolkien nut) is SO EXCITED that they're actually including some of the songs in this. she said that was one of her main disappointments with the LOTR trilogy, because it's such a fun and interesting part of the books.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    anyway, my girlfriend (who is a huge tolkien nut) is SO EXCITED that they're actually including some of the songs in this. she said that was one of her main disappointments with the LOTR trilogy, because it's such a fun and interesting part of the books.
    I liked that they left out the songs, I skip them any time I re-read the series now. It makes more sense to have them in this movie, I've always considered the book a lot more lighthearted than LOTR even though some serious shit happens in it. I've been reading a lot of theories on how they could split up the movies and what having 3 movies will allow them to do and I'm feeling a little better about it, but still I think 2 movies would've been perfect.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I don't have a problem with The Frighteners. The first Peter Jackson movie I saw was Meet the Feebles, and that holds up in a pretty great and uniquely disturbing way. I still think the best film he's made is Heavenly Creatures.

No matter though, Lovely Bones was unforgivably shitty. I don't know what to make of the decision to split up the Hobbit, but it does sound like an unnecessary money grab. I'd like to be proven wrong of course, but he can be overindulgent. King Kong was a fun, silly movie, but it didn't need to be over 3 hours long.

With LotR, it made sense to split it into three long movies, because the book was split into three long epic books, each of which was more detailed and significantly longer than The Hobbit. If the end result is a 9 hour Hobbit movie... well I don't know, I'd like to believe that could work, as ludicrous as it sounds.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 08-02-2012 at 02:52 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I'm not too keen on the three movies thing, but then they don't each have to be 3 hours. Maybe this time we'll get three two hour movies, which imho might be better than two three hour movies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I don't have a problem with The Frighteners. The first Peter Jackson movie I saw was Meet the Feebles, and that holds up in a pretty great and uniquely disturbing way. I still think the best film he's made is Heavenly Creatures.

No matter though, Lovely Bones was unforgivably shitty. I don't know what to make of the decision to split up the Hobbit, but it does sound like an unnecessary money grab. I'd like to be proven wrong of course, but he can be overindulgent. King Kong was a fun, silly movie, but it didn't need to be over 3 hours long.

With LotR, it made sense to split it into three long movies, because the book was split into three long epic books, each of which was more detailed and significantly longer than The Hobbit. If the end result is a 9 hour Hobbit movie... well I don't know, I'd like to believe that could work, as ludicrous as it sounds.
    LOTR was only broken into three parts for publication. Structurally, LOTR is six parts long.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    ... A lot of tolkien nuts I know hate the films like most people hate the star wars prequels.
    WHA? Ok no really any LOTR fan that hates these films needs to get slapped upside the head. How can you not stand back and appreciate what was accomplished with these movies? They should have a Jackson alter. Are they aware of what usually happens with adaptations? Ugh.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    I'm not crazy about the crown but otherwise, I approve.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Lee Pace looks the part but everytime I see him in anything it looks like he's acting. Like you can tell it's just some dude who's aware there's a camera pointing at him and he needs to pretend to be someone else. I did love Pushing Daisies and The Fall though, so I guess his weird screen presence is something i can overlook.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Must stop squeeing!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Double post because of awesomeness! Here are the alternate endings to the new The Hobbit trailer (because hey, if trailers can have previews, why not alternate endings):

Is it wrong that I find Gollum to be sort of adorable in this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just watched the last bit of that trailer about 10 times. Hilarious!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    GOLLUM: Baggins is lost?
    BILBO: Yes, yes, and I want to get unlost as soon as possible.
    GOLLUM: Oh, we knows! We knows safe paths for hobbitses. Safe paths, in the dark. Shut up!!!
    BILBO: I didn't say anything.
    GOLLUM: I wasn't talking to you!
    BILBO: I really should be heading off, so..... it's been good.
    GOLLUM: We could do some watercolors together, Baggins and us.
    BILBO: Well, that sounds like great fun. Let's do it in the week then, Gollum.
    GOLLUM: What does Baggins mean?
    BILBO: Well, you free Thursday at all?
    GOLLUM: Why can't we do it now?
    BILBO: Well, you know, I'm a busy hobbit, Gollum. You know, I've got things to do. Bilbo Baggins, hobbit-about-village.... heh heh.
    GOLLUM: Do you loves me?
    BILBO: Oh, dear.
    GOLLUM: Do you loves me?
    BILBO: Uhhhmm. Gonna have to pretend I didn't hear that, Gollum.
    GOLLUM: Do you thinks you could ever loves me?
    BILBO: Uh, it doesn't really work like that, Gollum.
    GOLLUM: How does it works? Tell us how it workses.
    BILBO: Well, you get to know someone, you hang out, you see where that goes, this, that, the other, eventually, you know. I don't know you.
    GOLLUM: You knows us, hmmm? What about the boat time?
    BILBO: That... wasn't really a time, was it, Gollum? It was more of just a.... you scootin' over here from the darkness.
    Last edited by Findus; 09-21-2012 at 03:15 AM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    OMG

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Build your own Hobbit Slam®!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    This is going to be the shortest Middle Earth movie so far, clocking in at a measly 2 hours and 40 minutes. Ha!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/...ected-run-time

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Also, presale tickets go on sale Wednesday.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Anybody buy tickets yet?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Listen to the soundtrack

The Hobbit Soundtrack

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I'm not giving this franchise one damn dime. this is disgusting and there is no excuse for this. I hope this gets widespread attention and the movie tanks and peter jackson is laughed into oblivion.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-207_162-...s-27-handlers/

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    just read the article. sorry this angered you so, but this won't affect the movie's profit or Peter Jackson's name at all.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Video #9 featuring post production. Fun stuff.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joymode View Post
    I'm not giving this franchise one damn dime. this is disgusting and there is no excuse for this. I hope this gets widespread attention and the movie tanks and peter jackson is laughed into oblivion.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-207_162-...s-27-handlers/
    Yeah! Because I'm totally envisioning Jackson hacking animals to death with a machete now! RIGHTEOUS INDIGNATION!

Let's learn who is ACTUALLY responsible, then pour our outbursts on them.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Bought my IMAX tickets for the 15th, might speed read the book again before then as well.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Select theaters will be presenting The Hobbit with Dolby's new Atmos sound system.

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/professio...lby-atmos.html

Explanation of Dolby Atmos:

Movie releases in Dolby Atmos:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Atmos

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    The film has been getting mixed reviews pretty early.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I read that the 48 fps was one of the reasons for the lukewarm reaction.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I read that the 48 fps was one of the reasons for the lukewarm reaction.
    Where I am, it seems I can only pre-buy tickets only for the 24fps version (which I promptly did). However they did say the 48fps version will come at some point, so I guess I'll be seeing this twice. I am really curious about the 48fps.

One of the negative points I've been reading in reviews is that it's maybe too slapstick and silly for its own good. Now, with The Hobbit there was always this possibility, given the spirit of the book, however Jackson's past has me worried, since he has been known to inject unwelcome silliness whenever possible. That's one of the main reasons I was hoping Del Toro would direct this, I think he was the perfect man to counterbalance the silly parts with the right amount of creepiness. But anyway, I'm speculating now. I hope the bad reviews come from overzealous Hobbit purists.