Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Lord of The Rings - New Amazon Series

Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I think you may be thinking of high dynamic range. Which has the affect of appearing to drain an image of color despite actually infusing it with more, since the bulk of the color now comes from the spaces between black and white. I don't think the frame rates or the resolution create that issue.
    actually no, I was thinking of the video mode on televisions that "makes it look like a soap opera". It just looks like it's moving too clearly, too cleanly. very much a "we're filming on set because it's easier to control everything" which also includes covid so I understand but it just doesn't feel warm at all, it's very cold.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    actually no, I was thinking of the video mode on televisions that "makes it look like a soap opera". It just looks like it's moving too clearly, too cleanly. very much a "we're filming on set because it's easier to control everything" which also includes covid so I understand but it just doesn't feel warm at all, it's very cold.
    I believe you're thinking of when they shoot at 48 fps (frames per second) instead of the industry standard 24 fps. This is what they did with The Hobbit trilogy and many people had the same types of complaints about it being too smooth and looking like a home movie.

Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    still no.

Tom Cruise, take it away.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    I've been turning motion blur off since the beginning of time. Sonic is also correct though... By adding a higher refresh rate than the film, along with motion blur on, it's a big mixed stew and no one is having fun.

Before it was even a known thing, my friend was hosting a super bowl party and it was driving everyone insane. I waited a few a minutes and casually asked for the remote and turned it off lol. This actually happens to me a lot with video games. Believe it or not, I actually prefer some games in 30fps instead of 60.

Me and my mom just watched The Northman again, but this time on her new TV and she hated it the moment it turned on. So many beautiful panning shots in that film, and it was making it look lile an episode of Passions.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 07-18-2022 at 08:23 PM.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    New trailer and it looks much better this time around.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    They've really nailed this series so far. It's warm, magical, filled with interesting characters and dynamics, adventures. It has strange moments like a contest between an elf and a dwarf. All of the characters feel fully realized, all of the settings, the props the costumes, everything works so far. I think the fantasy genre has largely missed this since game of thrones had every one chase this kind of bleak, edgy, rapey ,grey... Shit that game of thrones was. There's some mysteries, too without necessarily being a mystery box. It's very exciting, I can't wait for more.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I enjoyed the first episode a lot. Starting the second now.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    it's beautiful and made me tear up a bit.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Going to hop in over the weekend. I never, ever go by critic or audience scores... But my lord, the ratio on all major review sites are staggering.

Rotten Tomatoes: Critics - 84% Audience- 35%
    Metacritic: C - 71 A - 2.3
    IMDB: 6.2/10

Seems like many are attached to the other films, and not giving this one a chance, even if they're trying to do their own thing like they have stated. Many seem to love the visuals, but iffy on the rest.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Going to hop in over the weekend. I never, ever go by critic or audience scores... But my lord, the ratio on all major review sites are staggering.

Rotten Tomatoes: Critics - 84% Audience- 35%
    Metacritic: C - 71 A - 2.3
    IMDB: 6.2/10

Seems like many are attached to the other films, and not giving this one a chance, even if they're trying to do their own thing like they have stated. Many seem to love the visuals, but iffy on the rest.
    I'm pretty sure the low audience scores are thanks to edgelords review bombing.

Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    And IMDb has been scrubbing anything lower than a 6. Keep in mind they're owned by Amazon so that's not representative of anything.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I've heard the "love the visuals hate the story" comments but I don't get them at all. And I get that Amazon owns everything but the trolling is real for this one. Lots of incels mad because girl.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    I'm well aware of review bombing, but after watching 2 hours this... I can see where others are coming from; it was pretty boring.

With what could be coming up, I hope they stick the landing because there is some good stuff here, but I'm not thoroughly convinced as of yet. I'm in the same boat with the visuals being fantastic, and everything else just sort of... Meh. Costumes look good, but there is definitely a cheap looking quality to some of them. I dunno, I'm trying to not compare it so much to the films, and what I have conjured up in my head reading all the source material A LOT.

And there are some credible reviewers on the tube that aren't really doing jumping jacks either for it right now. We'll see.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 09-03-2022 at 04:39 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I find the story pretty engaging so far. I like all the characters, I thi k they each have a lot of dimension. I appreciated for instance in the argument between Elrond and Galadriel that neither was precisely wrong nor were they right. The elven King could have been a more frustrating character and is instead painted somewhat sympathetically. Galadriel ends up facing a choice that seems genuinely difficult. There's a lot of thematic elements about the elves and their priveleges to act, to police, to wait, or even the hobbits who choose political non involvement

I guess some of where I'm coming from is that I've always seen Jackson's trilogy as enjoyable but ultimately falling short and riddles with frustrating problems. I've been waiting for someone new to get a swing at it, and make something deeper and fresher, and so far this is hitting that spot for me.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    I hear you for sure.

I'm going to watch the episodes again, alone tonight. I was at the Zoo all day long yesterday, and then watched, so I'm probably being a bit of a grump . Celebrimbor is perfectly cast imo here and you can already see a bit of his vanity of what comes after eventually for him.

Also brought me right back to playing alongside his wraith in Shadow of Mordor which are nothing but positive memories. Damn, I love that game even if it's not canon.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 09-04-2022 at 07:05 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I think it’s fantastic so far.

All this nonsense about review bombing and Amazon deleting reviews and blah blah blah just makes me glad that I’m a human who’s allowed to think for myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Will be seeing the first episode in a bit. From what I'm reading so far, I'm glad it's been roughly 15 years since I last read the Silmarillion or any of the First/Second Age material published by Tolkien and/or his son. This way I won't be constantly distracted by the slew of changes and simplifications that apparently have been made to the lore. Not saying that changes and all that are necessarily bad, since the published material is not exactly suitable for a fully fleshed out series (and they don't even have the rights to it if I've understood correctly), but I'm guessing avid readers of Tolkien's full works will have a harder time immersing themselves in the world.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Just watched episode 1. Liked it a lot. Maybe not quite Peter Jackson's LOTR but close enough. It's better than the Hobbitt trilogy IMHO

Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    *cough*

I was tempted to watch them again in the theater but it turns out there are only 24 hours in the day and there are other people in my life who want to spend time with me. sigh.

The episodes were perfectly fine. There were maybe two spots where I was like "this is Solo levels of name/event dropping" but nothing that made me go yuck. Also a couple CG issues with the backgrounds and once with keying but seriously, I'm not going to pick nits on only two episodes.

I wonder who the stranger is. I've seen thoughts that it's Gandalf but those people are dumb. There are also thoughts that he's Sauron which are compelling because of how evil he seems at times. I feel that he's one of the Blue, if only because no one's seen them before.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    *cough*

I was tempted to watch them again in the theater but it turns out there are only 24 hours in the day and there are other people in my life who want to spend time with me. sigh.

The episodes were perfectly fine. There were maybe two spots where I was like "this is Solo levels of name/event dropping" but nothing that made me go yuck. Also a couple CG issues with the backgrounds and once with keying but seriously, I'm not going to pick nits on only two episodes.

I wonder who the stranger is. I've seen thoughts that it's Gandalf but those people are dumb. There are also thoughts that he's Sauron which are compelling because of how evil he seems at times. I feel that he's one of the Blue, if only because no one's seen them before.
    I think the simple answer is that it's Gandalf. Its the most exciting answerz and the one that puts the show in the most mature position rather than playing a bunch of shallow games with the audience. So I'm hoping it's that.

That said there's a pretty strong signal that it's sauran, given the dialogue about evil sucking the warmth out fire in the first episode, and the fire not affecting the Hobbit in the second

Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Gandalf doesn't appear in the age this series is set
    It begins during a time of relative peace and covers all the major events of Middle-earth's Second Age: the forging of the Rings of Power, the rise of the Dark Lord Sauron, the fall of the island kingdom of Númenor, and the last alliance between Elves and Men.
    though also they are playing somewhat fast and loose with who is appearing when according to lore.
    These events take place over thousands of years in Tolkien's original stories but are condensed for the series.
    So it could be Gandalf
    He is associated with fire; his ring of power is Narya, the Ring of Fire. As such, he delights in fireworks to entertain the hobbits of the Shire, while in great need he uses fire as a weapon.
    but also:
    The wizards arrived in Middle-earth separately, early in the Third Age; Gandalf was the last, landing in the Havens of Mithlond.
    Finally this is an eight episode season, one of five planned seasons, so they have plenty of time. As long as they don't rush the last season, hey-o.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Yeah, I'm just not expecting the established canon to override anything that could be well liked.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Finally watched both episodes again and took notes .

I enjoyed it much more this time around. Also, seeing Elrond and Durin interacting and Elrond not getting the warm welcome he was expecting being away is one of my favorite parts and that whole interaction.

It definitely could be Sauron. The apple giving (In the first trailer) could be slight foreshadowing in how apples are a symbol of sin to a lot of fans of Tolkiens works. From what I heard when Nori finds him, you can make out a tad of Sauron's theme in there, or it could be to simply distract. If it is Gandalf, I am fine with that, and he does fit the bill look and power wise... but I am wondering A LOT how, or if they will bring in Annatar "Lord of Gifts" in this somewhat condensed world.

Halbrand also rubs me the wrong way. His line "Appearances can be deceptive" had my eyes open a tad with who he could be. Have to remember that Sauron is a shapeshifter so it could be anyone new they are introducing. Dúnedain is where Sauron was taking prisoner, and that is where Galadriel and Halbrand end up, but it wouldn't make a bit of sense since this is before the ONE ring is forged.

Also, Gil-galad says "She (Galadriel) might have inadvertently kept alive the very evil she swore to defeat," So bringing him to Numenor could be pretty bad.

There are a bunch more seasons coming, yes, and Celaborn being nowhere to be found is making a lot of people lose their shit, but there is no way they keep him out. This seems to be the time where him and Galadriel seperated for some time and they are supposed to already be wed by the start of the second age, but I see them bringing him in in season 2 with a slightly altered timeline.

Now I'm hooked lol...

The acting is solid, a few things are a tad wonky, but nothing at all to go apeshit over... (Oh no! Black people!) ffs, I'm just glad I enjoyed more than my first watch because I was so tired!

Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    ^^^ Was literally talking about this with my girl after she just finished watching an interview about Dwarfism and how they're discriminated, especially in the entertainment industry. Then the topic came up with the vitriol surrounding this show, and I was saying how Tolkien would have loved seeing someone take a crack to fill in the pieces, and be as diverse as it is. Every single little piece of source material does not always have to translate to the screen...

Thanks for posting this!
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 09-06-2022 at 04:49 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Having now seen both episodes, I can safely say I'm happy to see more! I think they're on the right track, given the limitations of what they can work with.

As for the Mystery Comet Man, for me it doesn't make any sense that it could be Sauron. My money is also on him being one of the Istari, either one of the Blue Wizards or Gandalf. I don't think they would shirk from bringing him earlier and in a flashier way than a ship. Also they could be setting up his particular fondness for Hobbits/Harfoots by having them help him out in the beginning.

Finally, big love to the Sailing into Valinor scene (or is it Tol Eressea? I'm rusty on my Tolkien lore), it's sublime! And generally the design of mostly everything in terms of scenery, costumes and creatures is great. As long as the series doesn't get TOO silly with the story, I think this will be a fine interpretation of Tolkien's mythology.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
    Also they could be setting up his particular fondness for Hobbits/Harfoots by having them help him out in the beginning.
    My thoughts, exactly. They did show Nori I believe handing him an apple which is usually a sign of sin. Also, there is a scene with him in the forest being confronted by evil Wolves, and we all know that our buddy Sauron loves them.

It would make more sense I suppose that he is indeed Gandalf, or a wizard, but the aerial shot when he crashes, the ember pattern looks like the eye of Sauron!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Lore-wise him being Sauron doesn't really make sense though. He escaped in the First Age unharmed, it's not like he needs to reincorporate himself, blast through the skies as a meteor and be hazy and confused. And if it is an act, what's the point? What can he gain by acting like that in front of a couple of halflings? It makes more sense that this is a newcomer to Middle Earth, an immortal being coming into grips with his new form and with the effect that his powers have on the fragile, mortal world.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Gandalf does get one of the elven rings of power right? Him, Elrond, and Galadriel?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
    Lore-wise him being Sauron doesn't really make sense though. He escaped in the First Age unharmed, it's not like he needs to reincorporate himself, blast through the skies as a meteor and be hazy and confused. And if it is an act, what's the point? What can he gain by acting like that in front of a couple of halflings? It makes more sense that this is a newcomer to Middle Earth, an immortal being coming into grips with his new form and with the effect that his powers have on the fragile, mortal world.
    I hear you, but the show has proven to already be somewhat condensed and not following the lore to a "T". I believe it is Gandalf or a Wizard, but my nerd brain cannot help but speculate what they may or may not be planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest
    Gandalf does get one of the elven rings of power right? Him, Elrond, and Galadriel?
    Yes he does! He gets it from Cirdan which was the former bearer, along with Gil-galad having one as well eventually giving it to Elrond. Cannot remember all of the rings names, but Narya was the ring Gandalf has I believe.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 09-07-2022 at 03:44 PM.