Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Thread: The Criterion Collection

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    is the 50% off sale at B&N through the whole month of Nov? or only for like a week or a day? I don't even own a blu-ray player. But the Bergman boxset is REALLY intriguing me right now. And I just watched their trailer for the Olympics boxset and even though I'm not the biggest fan of the Olympics...WOW. I actually almost had a tear in my eye at the end of the trailer, so beautiful. Even at 50% off, I'm acting like I still have money to spend hah. This thread re-ignited my passion though. Thank you all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    the deal starts tomorrow. I do have a tiny bit of extra money after getting paid today. I think I'm going for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    first ever sale pickups:
    -Stalker
    -Seven Samurai
    -A Night to Remember
    -The Before Trilogy
    -Down by Law
    -Rebecca
    -A Touch of Zen

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    -Stalker
    I just picked this up a few weeks ago and it's so beautiful. First time seeing the movie in years, and even though I enjoyed it the first time, I really felt like I got more out of it this time around. Such an incredibly atmospheric film.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    have never seen it- can't wait!

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Awesome, let me know what you think of it.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    The B&N deal is through the whole month. Also in July. I once got a defective Criterion from them and when I sent in for a replacement I received two copies in it's place, sold one off and made a profit off my initial investment. They're awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Picked up today:
    -Mystery Train
    -Election
    -The Princess Bride
    -My Dinner With Andre
    -A Brighter Summer Day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Awesome, let me know what you think of it.
    one of the best movies I've ever seen! really is beautifully shot. in fact, it looks 20 years ahead of it's time.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Major industry figures including Christopher Nolan, draft letter petitioning WarnerMedia to keep Filmstruck alive. This is where things will get interesting now, especially with Nolan pulling so much weight at Warner Brothers.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    one of the best movies I've ever seen! really is beautifully shot. in fact, it looks 20 years ahead of it's time.
    Yeah, it really is one of the coolest movies ever made. One of the things I noticed more this time around is the really strange sound design, like how their footsteps sounded like they were played through a spring reverb. Apparently all the sounds are a mix between analogue and electronic sounds, but it's done with so much subtlety that I didn't even realize it. I just sensed the overall feeling of strangeness throughout the whole film.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Have you read the book it's based on? One of my favorites.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^^ wonderful news!

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Have you read the book it's based on? One of my favorites.
    No, not yet, but I plan to. I have it on kindle. Very curious to see how it compares to the movie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Today's sale pickups
    -Good Morning
    -An Autumn Afternoon
    -For All Mankind
    -The Man Who Knew Too Much
    -The Lady Vanishes
    -The Fisher King
    -Solaris
    -Hidden Fortress
    -The Tree of Life
    -City Lights

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    One of these days I'm going to drop 2 Franklins on the B&N sale without a sweat.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Picked up The Breakfast Club and Tree of Life over the weekend. I haven't had a chance to sit down and watch the Breakfast Club deleted scenes yet but I've been so fucking exciting to see these ever since I read that article from like over a decade ago where the journalist had discovered the tapes and wrote down everything on them. I can't believe Criterion was able to get those from Hughes' family. So awesome.

Anyone who has Tree of Life, how does the extended cut compare to the theatrical?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    One of these days I'm going to drop 2 Franklins on the B&N sale without a sweat.
    I did go a bit overboard, but I got a refund check from grad school so had some to spare.

In the mail this weekend:
    Foreign Corespondent
    The 39 Steps
    Olympics 100 Years Boxset

The list of titles I want seems to be never ending, but I think this pretty much wraps up my B&N sale purchases for the year. I might order a few here and there from amazon the next couple weeks- their prices are just as good in most cases, but that's a wrap for now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Picked up The Breakfast Club and Tree of Life over the weekend. I haven't had a chance to sit down and watch the Breakfast Club deleted scenes yet but I've been so fucking exciting to see these ever since I read that article from like over a decade ago where the journalist had discovered the tapes and wrote down everything on them. I can't believe Criterion was able to get those from Hughes' family. So awesome.

Anyone who has Tree of Life, how does the extended cut compare to the theatrical?
    here's a in depth talk about the Criterion edition of Tree of Life. I believe there are quite a few differences between the two cuts.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    So it looks like the petition to save filmstruck isn't gonna get anywhere, but Criterion is launching their own streaming service.

https://www.criterion.com/channel

We'll see how it goes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    in order for it to succeed, it needs to be available on all devices, and worldwide (as much as possible) . and I REALLY want this to succeed. I've subscribed, but didn't have to pay yet. if I enjoy it, I'll probably cancel my Netflix.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I signed up, and have determined that I'm not going to cancel and come back like I do with other services.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Here's everything that will be available upon launch. It's already online, and you can still sign up as a charter member, with a discount on your membership once it's up and running.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 03-22-2019 at 11:01 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Does it have an app on Android TV or at least a gaming console? That's what held up film struck for me

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    "The Criterion Channel will launch in the U.S. and Canada and will be available on desktop browsers as well as through apps for Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Roku, iOS, and Android and Android TV devices."

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    The channel debuted yesterday and it is great. First thing I watched was Olivier Assayas' Cold Water. Maybe some of the best use of music I've ever seen in a movie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    the Criterion Channel is pretty damn awesome. It doesn't have EVERYTHING, but man there is just a ton of material to go through- including titles that haven't even been released by Criterion! (I noticed a few Ozu titles that were never put out by Criterion, for example ).

Glad I subscribed.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    It's got way more than advertised. You have to be a little stealthy in your searching but there's ton more that are Criterion/Janus titles especially which are there now. Perhaps they'll all be rolled out in time, but I found that pretty cool.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The buffering issue is killing this for me. Every few minutes, it buffers. I'm using a firestick. I don't have any issues with any other streaming service.