Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Thread: The Criterion Collection

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Awesome, let me know what you think of it.
    one of the best movies I've ever seen! really is beautifully shot. in fact, it looks 20 years ahead of it's time.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Major industry figures including Christopher Nolan, draft letter petitioning WarnerMedia to keep Filmstruck alive. This is where things will get interesting now, especially with Nolan pulling so much weight at Warner Brothers.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    one of the best movies I've ever seen! really is beautifully shot. in fact, it looks 20 years ahead of it's time.
    Yeah, it really is one of the coolest movies ever made. One of the things I noticed more this time around is the really strange sound design, like how their footsteps sounded like they were played through a spring reverb. Apparently all the sounds are a mix between analogue and electronic sounds, but it's done with so much subtlety that I didn't even realize it. I just sensed the overall feeling of strangeness throughout the whole film.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Have you read the book it's based on? One of my favorites.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    ^^ wonderful news!

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Have you read the book it's based on? One of my favorites.
    No, not yet, but I plan to. I have it on kindle. Very curious to see how it compares to the movie

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Today's sale pickups
    -Good Morning
    -An Autumn Afternoon
    -For All Mankind
    -The Man Who Knew Too Much
    -The Lady Vanishes
    -The Fisher King
    -Solaris
    -Hidden Fortress
    -The Tree of Life
    -City Lights

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    One of these days I'm going to drop 2 Franklins on the B&N sale without a sweat.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Picked up The Breakfast Club and Tree of Life over the weekend. I haven't had a chance to sit down and watch the Breakfast Club deleted scenes yet but I've been so fucking exciting to see these ever since I read that article from like over a decade ago where the journalist had discovered the tapes and wrote down everything on them. I can't believe Criterion was able to get those from Hughes' family. So awesome.

Anyone who has Tree of Life, how does the extended cut compare to the theatrical?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    One of these days I'm going to drop 2 Franklins on the B&N sale without a sweat.
    I did go a bit overboard, but I got a refund check from grad school so had some to spare.

In the mail this weekend:
    Foreign Corespondent
    The 39 Steps
    Olympics 100 Years Boxset

The list of titles I want seems to be never ending, but I think this pretty much wraps up my B&N sale purchases for the year. I might order a few here and there from amazon the next couple weeks- their prices are just as good in most cases, but that's a wrap for now.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Picked up The Breakfast Club and Tree of Life over the weekend. I haven't had a chance to sit down and watch the Breakfast Club deleted scenes yet but I've been so fucking exciting to see these ever since I read that article from like over a decade ago where the journalist had discovered the tapes and wrote down everything on them. I can't believe Criterion was able to get those from Hughes' family. So awesome.

Anyone who has Tree of Life, how does the extended cut compare to the theatrical?
    here's a in depth talk about the Criterion edition of Tree of Life. I believe there are quite a few differences between the two cuts.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    So it looks like the petition to save filmstruck isn't gonna get anywhere, but Criterion is launching their own streaming service.

https://www.criterion.com/channel

We'll see how it goes

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    in order for it to succeed, it needs to be available on all devices, and worldwide (as much as possible) . and I REALLY want this to succeed. I've subscribed, but didn't have to pay yet. if I enjoy it, I'll probably cancel my Netflix.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I signed up, and have determined that I'm not going to cancel and come back like I do with other services.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Here's everything that will be available upon launch. It's already online, and you can still sign up as a charter member, with a discount on your membership once it's up and running.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 03-22-2019 at 11:01 AM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Does it have an app on Android TV or at least a gaming console? That's what held up film struck for me

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    "The Criterion Channel will launch in the U.S. and Canada and will be available on desktop browsers as well as through apps for Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Roku, iOS, and Android and Android TV devices."

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The channel debuted yesterday and it is great. First thing I watched was Olivier Assayas' Cold Water. Maybe some of the best use of music I've ever seen in a movie.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    the Criterion Channel is pretty damn awesome. It doesn't have EVERYTHING, but man there is just a ton of material to go through- including titles that haven't even been released by Criterion! (I noticed a few Ozu titles that were never put out by Criterion, for example ).

Glad I subscribed.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It's got way more than advertised. You have to be a little stealthy in your searching but there's ton more that are Criterion/Janus titles especially which are there now. Perhaps they'll all be rolled out in time, but I found that pretty cool.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The buffering issue is killing this for me. Every few minutes, it buffers. I'm using a firestick. I don't have any issues with any other streaming service.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    The buffering issue is killing this for me. Every few minutes, it buffers. I'm using a firestick. I don't have any issues with any other streaming service.
    i used to have so many issues with my fire stick on a bunch of different apps, particularly when it was trying to stream higher quality programs. no issues with the standard firetv with which i replaced it, though. i think it has to do with the processor (as the fire stick is basically a glorified flash drive with an HDMI output).

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Ah fuck I just bought a 4k firestick specifically for this

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I don't think it's an issue with the firestick, because finally last night, it started working fine. Today, back to buffering.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I have the Fire console and it's been working fine for the most part. I noticed some skipping but nothing major. It's off to a better start than Filmstruck was for me. It had some major audio issues for what seemed like months.

Someone created a web app that lists every film currently on the Channel. Whoa.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    so...how's everyone enjoying the service so far? I (finally) got around to using it pretty extensively yesterday, and it'll be a while before I get to really dig in again, but I fully enjoyed it. Can't wait to watch all the Kurosawa, Bergman, and Ozu films I haven't seen!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    ^ I love the closet videos. I've discovered so many films, and directors/actors, thanks to those videos.