Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast

Thread: The Criterion Collection

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Just saw Persona, wow. Still processing it.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Just saw Persona, wow. Still processing it.
    also recently just saw it for the first time...one of the coolest movies I've ever seen. way ahead of it's time, it felt too.

watched it a second time shortly after the first time.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    also recently just saw it for the first time...one of the coolest movies I've ever seen. way ahead of it's time, it felt too.

watched it a second time shortly after the first time.
    I found Ebert's review helpful.
    https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/g...e-persona-1966

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Is there a MSRP cut-off where the Barnes & Noble sale no longer applies? It seems silly to drop $160+ on the Godzilla Showa-Era box set at the end of October if I can wait two weeks and save at least $40.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Is there a MSRP cut-off where the Barnes & Noble sale no longer applies? It seems silly to drop $160+ on the Godzilla Showa-Era box set at the end of October if I can wait two weeks and save at least $40.
    No it applies o that big stuff too

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    The B&N sale is going on now until December 1st. I got the Godzilla: Showa-Era collection for $127 after tax. Also, picked up Stalker. Hoping to get some releases on Blu-ray that I already have on DVD including Haxan and Carnival of Souls.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    enjoy the sale everyone. it's been a rough year and I had to sell my entire Criterion collection and probably can't pick up anything this month, as tempted as I am. I am enjoying the hell out of the Criterion Channel though.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Finally grabbed Blue Velvet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    Finally grabbed Blue Velvet.
    Awesome. I just ordered the Criterion version of Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me myself. Very excited and plan to get Blue Velvet at some point soon as well.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 04-14-2020 at 01:17 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Coming in September

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    About time. Was about to post it.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    The cover artist probably mistook Three Colors for 2001: A Space Odyssey.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Three...Blu-ray/28206/

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I got the bug.

after having to sell my collection due to tough times over the end of last year, things are a bit more stable now and..

I had to partake in the B&N 50% off sale today. I thought I was done, but it brought a great joy to be "sucked back in" especially during these weird times. I made sure not to go too crazy and limited myself to just a few titles. But I'll be going again for a few more before the sale ends.

-The Inland Sea - (watched this one and it was such a calming, beautiful, meditative experience)
    -Notorious (haven't seen this Hitchcock film)
    -The Flavor of Green Tea Over Rice (super excited to see this Ozu, have seen almost all his films but not this one yet)
    -Band of Outsiders (I think it's about time for me to get into French cinema)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    HBO Max has over 300 Criterion Collection titles on their streaming service.
    This site has a list of the titles, as of May '20.
    https://thestreamable.com/news/here-...ing-on-hbo-max

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    One of my favorite films (and Trent's) coming out in December

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    One of my favorite films (and Trent's) coming out in December
    I remember reading an article, perhaps in a magazine, where Trent mentions watching Crash repeatedly. The only thing I could find was a WT-era article where he lists music that he regularly listened to while recording his albums, with the Crash soundtrack being the one tied to The Fragile. Also, here's a quote from an old article about scoring:

’I did ‘Natural Born Killers,’ and ‘Lost Highway’ for David Lynch,” says Reznor, “but I’ve really no interest in doing any more compilation albums. The only thing I’d want to do these days is actual scoring.”

“I’d love for David Cronenberg to call me on the phone and say, ‘Score a film’,” he adds. Reznor’s spooky, atmospheric sound would blend well with the film making style of the creator of films like “Crash,” “Naked Lunch” and “The Fly.”

“Quake was fun because they didn’t want hard-rock goofy music going through the game,” explains Reznor, “it was all about atmosphere at the time.”

http://www.audiohead.net/interviews/...or/index4.html
    https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...r10-story.html

I'm still hoping Cronenberg calls him up and tells him "Score a film."

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    He cited the novel too when JG Ballard passed away.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Findus View Post
    ’I did ‘Natural Born Killers,’ and ‘Lost Highway’ for David Lynch,” says Reznor, “but I’ve really no interest in doing any more compilation albums. The only thing I’d want to do these days is actual scoring.”
    I can't find an article, but I think I read somewhere that basically Lynch called him and said "Score a film" (Lost Highway). That's how Driver Down and Videodrones came about. But then it wasn't working out for the rest of the film and they agreed for Trent to produce a soundtrack later instead.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Findus View Post
    I'm still hoping Cronenberg calls him up and tells him "Score a film."
    I'm still hoping he does hard-rock goofy video game music.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I can't really see Cronenberg letting Trent & Atticus score one of his films, primarily because he and Howard Shore have worked together for so long. Why mess with a good thing?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    the 50% sale at B&N is on now. The local store has a copy of Godzilla and it's hard not running over there right now .

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    As if this day couldn't get any better

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    While I'm browsing to see what I should get I see the Beastie Boys Anthology. I wonder why they haven't upgraded / expanded that one for Blu-Ray?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Re-bought Bottle Rocket, Short Cuts and Traffic on Blu-ray (had the latter two on DVD only) on eBay and B&N. Earlier this year I also got back The Game, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and acquired The Friends of Eddie Coyle as well as Grand Budapest Hotel. Still dreaming of the day I can spend a couple hundred bucks on the B&N sale without breaking a sweat.

Also getting interested in other boutique labels. I have the Shout! Factory release of Manhunter, and just recently got the one they did for Glengarry Glen Ross. Both very impressive discs. I think next year I'm going to focus on movies instead of music, as I've got my eye on various releases from those two companies as well as Arrow. Really want to get my hands on a region-free 4K Blu-ray which would run expensive but of the models I've seen could be worth it.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

This is as good as confirmation since they've released pretty much everything else Assayas has done. I love this movie, for all it's early 2000's shock-and-awe and it's mix of Lynchian and Cronenberg vibes and techno-conspiracy workplace backstabbing.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Criterion Collection moving into 4K...

Label description: The most dazzling debut in cinema history, Orson Welles's Citizen Kane was Criterion's first laserdisc release 37 years ago. It now rejoins the library after a long absence, making its first appearance in 4K Blu-ray along with Allen and Albert Hughes riveting breakthrough, Menace II Society; Jane Campion's Academy Award–winning The Piano, starring Holly Hunter and Anna Paquin in her breakout role; David Lynch's Mulholland Dr., a tale of love and jealousy in the city of dreams; Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger's singular Technicolor fantasia The Red Shoes; and Richard Lester's timeless movie musical A Hard Day's Night, which brought the Beatles' revolutionary talent and irreverent humor to the big screen.
    https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=29081

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Criterion Collection moving into 4K...

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=29081
    I held off buying Criterion because 4K was inevitable and wasn't gonna double dip.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Yeah, it's been way too long and the paradigm has shifted so far from physical ownership, too. I'll be cautious with my picks from this line, but at this point we are only probably another 5 years off from a new format (unless it's already happened which wouldn't be so surprising to me)

I'm hoping for a healthy Kurosawa collection and some 8 1/2

Mulholland drive is a good spot to start, for sure

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Yeah, it's been way too long and the paradigm has shifted so far from physical ownership, too. I'll be cautious with my picks from this line, but at this point we are only probably another 5 years off from a new format (unless it's already happened which wouldn't be so surprising to me)

I'm hoping for a healthy Kurosawa collection and some 8 1/2

Mulholland drive is a good spot to start, for sure
    I heard that when it comes to older movies on film, depending what size film it was shot on, 8K will be the highest quality it can go up to. There's only so much information/pixels on film, depending if it's 16mm or 35mm or 70mm. 8K is where it will max out for most older movies on film. 70mm may be able to go higher to like 10K due to having more information/pixels. 35mm can render around 20 million organic pixels, which is just over 8K. Once we go beyond that, we would need to get into digital post processing to fill in the gaps.

Of course, movies filmed digitally will be able to go above that. But at the same time, you also gotta think about special effects and the quality they're rendered at as well. Most times, special effects are rendered at a lower resolution. They're may be a film shot on 70mm, but it's special effects was only rendered at 2K. Lots of variables.
    Last edited by neorev; 08-18-2021 at 05:50 PM.