Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: scary songs

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

scary songs

give us your hamburger ladies, your frankie teardrops, your scariest songs because scary shit is fun.

i'll start:

Nurse with Wound - Homotopy to Marie:
    Last edited by kel; 07-13-2014 at 07:18 PM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Glenn Danzig - Unclean Sephira

Type O Negative - 3.0.I.F.

Mentioned
    137 Post(s)

Take your pick, the whole album is dark and scary.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Any song off the Excavation album could suffice but this is my favorite

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    This always gives the chills a bit

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

This album is to albums as "Mulholland Drive" is to films; at least, it evokes that same feeling in me, namely the feeling where you know you are looking into an absolutely black part of human behaviour and conception and relation, where things do not make sense and are not necessarily explained, there is beauty and style on the surface and a dreadful nightmare looming below it, and faceless re-occurring characters who seem to know more than you do embark on eerie, passive-aggressive speeches over thunderous ambience; and you want to go and hide because you know there's so much more to go and so many more terrifying things waiting around corners... but you can't stop watching, listening, experiencing, against your own fear and unhappiness because you need to know and you need to win.
    As disparate as the elements composing the album are, none of them ever feel out of place or unnecessary; all the tracks contribute to a whole that does not need to be understood in any literal sense, because it can be felt. Soundtracks for the Blind is the perfect name for it, really, as it doesn't tell a story so much as it fills out some weighty, intangible object, something earthy and glistening and disgusting and endlessly fascinating.

It's absolutely not the best introduction to Swans, however it could make for an interesting first-time listen to anyone unfamiliar.

There's nothing more to say. Just listen it from first to last song, loud with headphones in a dark room, in order, and be prepared to meet a feeling inside yourself that you did not even know exist.
    Last edited by jezstyle; 07-14-2014 at 01:13 AM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Epically scary -

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I got actually got shivers all over the first time I heard this song. Not even "Hamburger Lady" evoked that response on my first listen.

Some of Jarboe's solo work manages to be even more terrifying than Swans

'Power electronics' is probably cheating, but this album gets to me more than most

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

This song and video are freaky as hell. Eric Wareheim directed it!

P.S. I am going to start a Tobacco thread!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Shouldn't this just be called "The Swans Thread"?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

While most of the songs here are creepy, this one I find actively scary. Listen to it alone, doesn't even have to be at night, and you'll experience pure dread. Or at least I do.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    The video is creepy as well as a "WTF am I watching video." Love it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Y'all ain't got nothing on this spoopyness:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

one of my favorite freaky songs. I actually used this for a music history presentation on Coil and freaked my whole class out. or maybe they were freaked out because I showed them peter christopherson in his casket.....

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

If you go and read through Dan Barrett's blog entries between 2007 - 2009, and read all his messages made when he was extremely depressed and dealing with his father's sudden death, it makes things a lot more sad and scary. I'm so glad he seems to have found some sort of peace in his life. He was walking down a real dangerous path, a path I've only ever occasionally crossed.

This was the first song I ever got stoned to. Kind of regretted it.

I think this is Richard's eeriest piece of music

"The Hangman looks round as he waits,The Cord stretches tight then it breaks"

David Lynch. Need I say more?

David Sylvian's last two albums were really out of left field. His transition to what he does now is almost as drastic as Scott Walker's.
    Last edited by Frozen Beach; 07-14-2014 at 10:15 PM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post

While most of the songs here are creepy, this one I find actively scary. Listen to it alone, doesn't even have to be at night, and you'll experience pure dread. Or at least I do.
    i was totally with you until the dude started singing.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Stalaggh - A group of dutch noise terror creators, used a bunch of mental patients locked in a room with the lights off, along with a bunch of instruments and recorded them screaming and trashing the place to create three separate albums of complete noise. Disturbing as hell with headphones on, apparently one of the participants was a murdered who was abused, and after the recordings died in a car accident.

During one of the recordings I believe they turned the lights on to find a patient strangling one of the group members. They issued one of their physical CDs with a razor blade in each case, for listeners. I will say no more on that but their mission statement was all about hating humanity and whatnot.

They did an even worse project after this called Gulaggh, which is the same style of thing, only using classical instruments, and children from a mental hospital. I have never fully listened to them and never will. This tops anything I've ever discovered that was scary to listen to, it's just fucked up.
    Last edited by Jord; 07-15-2014 at 03:28 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

...just a start. be back more later.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Falling asleep listening to Lateralus and being violently dragged back into consciousness during Faaip de Oiad is scary as shit, I'll tell you.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    the same thing used to happen to me when i fell asleep with 'nevermind' on -- "endless, nameless" is terrifying to wake up to.

at least when you're 13.
    Last edited by kel; 07-17-2014 at 12:23 PM.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Or falling asleep to broken only to be jolted by happiness in slavery. That sucked.

Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Not surprised to see Skinny Puppy around these parts....

Good ol' Cave:

Post Punk also:

And soundtrack music obviously:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    A like for those who posted songs from Scott Walker's The Drift. That album comes from the inner circle of hell (also known as Scott Walker's mind). I think I managed to listen to the whole of it once. Never again.

Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    A friend gave me this tarot card deck designed by Aleister Crawley, with the illustrations done by HR Giger, and it came with a CD.... It's filled with all these strange noises and chanting to summon Baphomet, with something like instructions in the booklet.

Some seriously evil shit.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    upload!

anyone remember that song they used to play on doctor demento called "they're coming to take me away" (by napoleon something or other)?

that scared the bejesus out of me growing up in the 80's.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    A friend gave me this tarot card deck designed by Aleister Crawley, with the illustrations done by HR Giger, and it came with a CD.... It's filled with all these strange noises and chanting to summon Baphomet, with something like instructions in the booklet.

Some seriously evil shit.
    Please upload the CD?

Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    it's in a box at my parent's place... i'll pick it up when I visit.

Although (and this is surprising), it's up on Amazon mp3... so if you want to check out some samples of it.

http://www.amazon.com/Baphomet-feat-...inding_title_0

The full "effect" of its creepiness kind of requires the HR Giger tarot cards...