Page 56 of 76 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,680 of 2270

Thread: spaceSuicide's Horrortastic Horrific Horror Film Thread...Of Horror!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    watched Gretel + Hansel not too long ago. i really loved it (especially the score and the atmosphere) but why on earth was gretel the only character with an american accent? it was so distracting.

anyway, i watched The Blackcoat's Daughter last night and i guess i just love Oz Perkins. that movie had enough atmosphere for an entire moon. holy shit. and like...zero jump scares. but i was terrified the whole time. so good.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    watched Gretel + Hansel not too long ago. i really loved it (especially the score and the atmosphere) but why on earth was gretel the only character with an american accent? it was so distracting.

anyway, i watched The Blackcoat's Daughter last night and i guess i just love Oz Perkins. that movie had enough atmosphere for an entire moon. holy shit. and like...zero jump scares. but i was terrified the whole time. so good.
    I was really hyped for Gretel + Hansel but I just did not like the film. The production was top notch all around. Tons of nice visuals, very easy to look at. But the story sucked. It was very basic and had no teeth whatsoever. It was so bad I don't ever want to watch it again despite the rest of the production being great. Glad others seem to like it though, I'd like to see the director get a crack at better material. It seems Osgood Perkins only was involved in directing it and the script was written beforehand so not really his fault.

Imo, The Blackcoat's Daughter is a modern masterpiece and it never gets enough love. I also really enjoyed his other horror film, I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House. It is much more tame than The Blackcoat's Daughter but still a very good film. I can't wait to see what he directs next. And apparently he directed a Twilight Zone episode I have yet to see based on the old classic episode "To Serve Man."

I went on a bit of a horror binge last week and caught up on some films I'd been meaning to see, some old some new. I can recommend Possessor, The Wolf of Snow Hollow, Saint Maud, Psycho Goreman, and Beyond the Black Rainbow. They are all great, they're also very different from one another. I'd also recommend avoiding We Still Say Grace (too basic) and The Void, which I really wanted to like but other than about 2 scenes was a big waste of time.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    I also really enjoyed his other horror film, I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House.

I'd also recommend avoiding We Still Say Grace (too basic) and The Void, which I really wanted to like but other than about 2 scenes was a big waste of time.
    i tried to watch "i am the pretty thing..." but it was SO DARK that i could barely see anything, and the streaming artifacting was driving me NUTS, so i gave up.

i don't know why "the void" is so divisive, i fucking love that movie so much hahaha

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    i tried to watch "i am the pretty thing..." but it was SO DARK that i could barely see anything, and the streaming artifacting was driving me NUTS, so i gave up.

i don't know why "the void" is so divisive, i fucking love that movie so much hahaha
    That's too bad. I thought I Am The Pretty Thing was very well shot. It is slow burn horror and its not scary at all but I thought it was well done. My TV seems to handle dark cinematography very well though. When everyone was complaining about Game of Thrones s8e3 being too dark I didn't have that problem. Pretty crazy considering my TV is like 10 years old. But yeah I can't do streaming artifacting. My friend's TV does that so bad I will actually buy and download a digital copy if I know I'm gonna show a film over there just so I don't have to look at it.

The Void has two cool scenes. The first shot of those people in robes and the end when that thing opens up. The rest of the movie looks like a fan film and the acting is some of the worst I have ever seen. The last sequence is cool but its not worth the mountain of shit I found the rest of the movie to be. There wasn't one single character I cared about or found interesting and that's kinda essential for a horror film to work for me. Even the small part I liked at the end just seemed like a complete Hellraiser ripoff mixed with Lovecraftian themes. But that's just my 2 cents on it, horror is so subjective it may as well be a Rorschach.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Finally got round to watching In Fabric a couple of nights ago, Utterly bizarre fever dream stuff but really worth a watch. Imagine if Terry Gilliam & David Lynch went to hell and opened up a fashion boutique. I immediately picked up the soundtrack from Cavern of Anti-Matter because it's awesome. Glad to watch something good after the disappointment of Willy's Wonderland & the Wrong Turn remake.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Two recent ones me and my partner watched:

Relic (2020, Australian). Very haunting, enjoyed it quite a lot.

The Platform (Spanish, 2019). Not as good but pretty entertaining.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    I was really hyped for Gretel + Hansel but I just did not like the film. The production was top notch all around. Tons of nice visuals, very easy to look at. But the story sucked. It was very basic and had no teeth whatsoever. It was so bad I don't ever want to watch it again despite the rest of the production being great. Glad others seem to like it though, I'd like to see the director get a crack at better material. It seems Osgood Perkins only was involved in directing it and the script was written beforehand so not really his fault.

Imo, The Blackcoat's Daughter is a modern masterpiece and it never gets enough love. I also really enjoyed his other horror film, I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House. It is much more tame than The Blackcoat's Daughter but still a very good film. I can't wait to see what he directs next. And apparently he directed a Twilight Zone episode I have yet to see based on the old classic episode "To Serve Man."

I went on a bit of a horror binge last week and caught up on some films I'd been meaning to see, some old some new. I can recommend Possessor, The Wolf of Snow Hollow, Saint Maud, Psycho Goreman, and Beyond the Black Rainbow. They are all great, they're also very different from one another. I'd also recommend avoiding We Still Say Grace (too basic) and The Void, which I really wanted to like but other than about 2 scenes was a big waste of time.
    Man, The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House is so haunting and atmospheric. Actually, Relic that I just mentioned above reminded me of it a lot.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Man, The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House is so haunting and atmospheric. Actually, Relic that I just mentioned above reminded me of it a lot.
    Yeah, I think the film (Pretty Thing) kind of hinges on one scene and the atmosphere and storytelling are done so well that it just works.

Relic I think is even better. I've been saying for years that someone should make a horror film about real life because real life IS a horror film. When friends disagree with me I tell them to keep living and they'll get there eventually. You may think you're in the middle of a rom com but everyone's last act is a horror film. Relic captures that perfectly. The final shot of that movie is haunting because it reveals a truth that humans love to ignore.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Yeah, I think the film (Pretty Thing) kind of hinges on one scene and the atmosphere and storytelling are done so well that it just works.

Relic I think is even better. I've been saying for years that someone should make a horror film about real life because real life IS a horror film. When friends disagree with me I tell them to keep living and they'll get there eventually
    . You may think you're in the middle of a rom com but everyone's last act is a horror film. Relic captures that perfectly. The final shot of that movie is haunting because it reveals a truth that humans love to ignore.
    How did you interpret that ending with the Spoiler: flesh peeling off and the mother having the same rot on her back? Was the message kind of like how Alzheimer’s disease is hereditary?

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    How did you interpret that ending with the Spoiler: flesh peeling off and the mother having the same rot on her back? Was the message kind of like how Alzheimer’s disease is hereditary?
    SPOILERS for Relic ahead...(not sure how to black out my text).

Yes on the surface that is how I interpret it. The mother will go on to suffer the same fate and the daughter will soon be in the mother's position. But like all great horror films I actually think there is a lot more depth and symbolism there for the viewer to read into if they want.

The rot represented Alzheimer's and its deteriorating effects specifically but more generally it represents death itself. Having three generations in that bed is interesting because it shows the past and the future for everyone. It also brings more philosophical questions to mind. Is this suffering inevitable? If it is inevitable, it would seem the only way to stop it would be to stop having children. People decide to have children when they are young and vital like the young girl, when everything about life seems right and when death seems so far off that it isn't quite real. People choose to have children with about as much thought as people going to buy a pet. Not many keep an eye on the long game. To have a child is to create a life, but it also means you are creating a death as well. Eventually the child grows up to suffer and die. Or maybe the suffering is more merciful and they get hit by a bus instead of disease, leaving those around them to suffer, it's still a tragedy. I think the look on the youngest daughter's face when she sees her mother's back is indicating that she has had a sudden realization that she will move into the mother's spot and eventually the grandmother's too. She will have to grapple with these issues for herself.

I also think the film makes one take a long hard look at how people who are actually dying are treated. In our society we have homes to put those people in so we can go about our lives as usual. But those people are still here having an experience and it might be worthwhile to consider what that's really like. The film's depiction of the grandmother's mind was excellent at showing what that might be like for those unfortunate enough to have that particular disease.

I really love this film. It doesn't tell you what you should think about any of these issues but it forces you to confront them for yourself. It may not satisfy someone looking for jump scares but I think it captures the human condition in a unique way that really got under my skin.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Some feedback on St. Maude? I've been very intrigued since I discovered it.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Some feedback on St. Maude? I've been very intrigued since I discovered it.
    To be completely honest it's a film I need to see again before I could render any final verdict or score. Leading up to watching it all I had heard is that its the next Hereditary or The VVitch and so I had pretty high expectations. It's not as good as those films. It's not as good a horror movie as they are either. It is still a very good film. It's very short and it knows what it wants to do.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Finally watched Freaky, and it was a lot of fun!!!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    To be completely honest it's a film I need to see again before I could render any final verdict or score. Leading up to watching it all I had heard is that its the next Hereditary or The VVitch and so I had pretty high expectations. It's not as good as those films. It's not as good a horror movie as they are either. It is still a very good film. It's very short and it knows what it wants to do.
    Gotcha. Thanks for the update! It's going to be raining all weekend on Long Island so perfect time to watch.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Gotcha. Thanks for the update! It's going to be raining all weekend on Long Island so perfect time to watch.
    Rainy weather sets a good mood for the film. Also I believe it takes place in Coney Island, so not far from you right? Might make it more immersive. Let us know how you like it. I'd love to get someone else's take on the last act and last sequence.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rainy weather sets a good mood for the film. Also I believe it takes place in Coney Island, so not far from you right? Might make it more immersive. Let us know how you like it. I'd love to get someone else's take on the last act and last sequence.
    It really does lol. I'm on the eastern end, Coney is in the city pretty much but close enough!
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 02-27-2021 at 01:50 AM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Here is a bit of news we seemed to have missed back in August 2019: https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/eve...on-1203291883/

I don't know if Covid killed it but damn, I really really want to see it now.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Just finished watching The Rental. Overall enjoyable, loved the ending.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    watched Possessor tonight and WOW

practical FX were incredible, the score was gorgeous (and particularly fantastic when it was inextricable from the sound design), and it was stunning to look at even in its most gruesome moments.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    watched Possessor tonight and WOW

practical FX were incredible, the score was gorgeous (and particularly fantastic when it was inextricable from the sound design), and it was stunning to look at even in its most gruesome moments.
    I saw it recently and thought it was great. The Cronenberg apple didn't fall very far from the tree.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Can someone recommend me one of those slow burning but very intriguing, scary but intelligent philosophical type films?

Hereditary, the aforementioned Relic and The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House, and even The Babadook and The VVitch.

Something like a mixture of all those together? What can y’all recommend that I haven’t seen? Throw some at me.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Can someone recommend me one of those slow burning but very intriguing, scary but intelligent philosophical type films?

Hereditary, the aforementioned Relic and The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House, and even The Babadook and The VVitch.

Something like a mixture of all those together? What can y’all recommend that I haven’t seen? Throw some at me.
    That's a pretty tall order. Not many films as good as the one's you've mentioned. Have you seen The Blackcoat's Daughter? House of the Devil (2009) might fit the bill but that one is also a love letter to 70s and 80s slow burn horror. If you don't mind more unconventional horror, Beyond the Black Rainbow is slow burn and fairly philosophical as long as you don't mind acid trip visuals and a fuck ton of ambiguity throughout. On second thought its really not much like the one's you mentioned, its pretty strange. Saint Maud is good. Killing of a Sacred Deer. Antichrist.

You know, making a good horror film isn't easy.
    Last edited by burnmotherfucker!; 03-19-2021 at 06:55 AM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    That's a pretty tall order. Not many films as good as the one's you've mentioned. Have you seen The Blackcoat's Daughter? House of the Devil (2009) might fit the bill but that one is also a love letter to 70s and 80s slow burn horror. If you don't mind more unconventional horror, Beyond the Black Rainbow is slow burn and fairly philosophical as long as you don't mind acid trip visuals and a fuck ton of ambiguity throughout. On second thought its really not much like the one's you mentioned, its pretty strange. Saint Maud is good. Killing of a Sacred Deer. Antichrist.

You know, making a good horror film isn't easy.
    Haven’t seen House of the Devil, Saint Maud or Killing of a Sacred Deer. I’ll try those!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Just watched a review from Chris Stuckmann on The Empty Man. 2 hours and 15 minute runtime for a horror movie that got almost no recognition or even a DVD release. Going to check it out.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Berberian Sound Studio

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Berberian Sound Studio
    I second, but keep in mind you need at least some understanding of Italian Giallo film to appreciate it.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Just watched a review from Chris Stuckmann on The Empty Man. 2 hours and 15 minute runtime for a horror movie that got almost no recognition or even a DVD release. Going to check it out.
    I saw that review. Let me know if its any good I might check it out as well.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Also want to check out The House That Jack Built. Forgot to catch that when I was following its production way back.

also, any word about this? It’s at theatres here in Australia this week or something.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)