Page 44 of 76 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 2266

Thread: spaceSuicide's Horrortastic Horrific Horror Film Thread...Of Horror!

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I wasn't high on the idea of the "Suspiria" remake, but the trailer looked good and the music sounds ok; but this Tarantino "seal of approval" is what the fans needed:

I'm actually more excited for this, than the Halloween remake (that i'm also expecting...)

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Okay, so I recently watched The Witch (VVitch, whatever) and I loved it. The aesthetic really pulled me in: the colors, the language, and the music made me feel legitimate dread the whole time.

Any suggestions for other horror films I should check out with a similar feel/tone?

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    Okay, so I recently watched The Witch (VVitch, whatever) and I loved it. The aesthetic really pulled me in: the colors, the language, and the music made me feel legitimate dread the whole time.

Any suggestions for other horror films I should check out with a similar feel/tone?
    Well, Hereditary supposedly, but I haven't seen it yet.

I'm not sure which part of the tone you're referring to, but I think It Comes at Night is similar in a way. Anti-Christ is similar in a different way.
    I would also add Kill List and Berberian Sound Studio to this list, and even Rosemary's Baby.

If you're talking about a flick with the same like.VISUAL trappings, The Blackcoat's Daughter is probably the most similar.
    Last edited by elevenism; 07-15-2018 at 11:29 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Well, Hereditary supposedly, but I haven't seen it yet.

I'm not sure which part of the tone you're referring to, but I think It Comes at Night is similar in a way. Anti-Christ is similar in a different way.
    I would also add Kill List and Berberian Sound Studio to this list, and even Rosemary's Baby.

If you're talking about a flick with the same like.VISUAL trappings, The Blackcoat's Daughter is probably the most similar.
    berberian sound studio was so disappointing. all the build-up and no pay-off. it was so cool aesthetically and sonically (especially as an audio engineer and someone who has done foley work) but nothing really happened.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    berberian sound studio was so disappointing. all the build-up and no pay-off. it was so cool aesthetically and sonically (especially as an audio engineer and someone who has done foley work) but nothing really happened.
    Really?
    I would argue that a LOT happened. Spoiler: the dude loses his mind, slowly, and ultimately becomes the embodiment of what bothered him about the Gallo film in the first place.

I thought there was a BIG payoff, of the "after everything I've done I hate myself for what I've become" variety.

Edit: on another note, are you familiar with Broadcast, the band that did the soundtrack? They are one of my all time favorites.
    Last edited by elevenism; 07-18-2018 at 12:39 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Really?
    I would argue that a LOT happened. Spoiler: the dude loses his mind, slowly, and ultimately becomes the embodiment of what bothered him about the Gallo film in the first place.

I thought there was a BIG payoff, of the "after everything I've done I hate myself for what I've become" variety.

Edit: on another note, are you familiar with Broadcast, the band that did the soundtrack? They are one of my all time favorites.
    yeah, we've talked about broadcast before! their score is good, though it's definitely not my favorite of their releases. "the noise made by people" is one of my favorite albums ever so it's kind of hard to top, even by the same band. still sad that trish is gone

anyway, you're right, but it was definitely billed as a "horror" movie, and i felt like there was so much anticipation for such little action. like...Spoiler: i wanted him to start fucking killing people and sabotaging the film he was working on but nothing even close to that happened. idunno.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    yeah, we've talked about broadcast before! their score is good, though it's definitely not my favorite of their releases. "the noise made by people" is one of my favorite albums ever so it's kind of hard to top, even by the same band. still sad that trish is gone

anyway, you're right, but it was definitely billed as a "horror" movie, and i felt like there was so much anticipation for such little action. like...Spoiler: i wanted him to start fucking killing people and sabotaging the film he was working on but nothing even close to that happened. idunno.
    Yeah it was definitely a bit subtle. I can see where you're coming from.
    I still got a kick out of it though.

Sorry I forgot talking about broadcast with you. Dear God I love TNMBP and also Tender Buttons; the score is definitely not on par with their proper releases but it's good for what it is.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    watched raw tonight on netflix. rollingstone gave it four stars. i thought it sucked.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    watched raw tonight on netflix. rollingstone gave it four stars. i thought it sucked.
    I actually liked that film a lot but I wouldn't trust anything Peter Travers says though he and I are on the same page as far as Michael Bay is concerned. Plus, never take some irrelevant magazine seriously. I just prefer to use it as toilet paper.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I just bought the latest Scream Factory! blu-ray title in John Carpenter's In The Mouth Of Madness. Will watch it for the first time soon. I am a failure, I know.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I just bought the latest Scream Factory! blu-ray title in John Carpenter's In The Mouth Of Madness. Will watch it for the first time soon. I am a failure, I know.
    i fucking love that movie so much. i wish i hadn't gotten the standard blu-ray a few months ago because i'd be much more likely to get the new scream factory version :/

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    i fucking love that movie so much. i wish i hadn't gotten the standard blu-ray a few months ago because i'd be much more likely to get the new scream factory version :/
    The only other mega pricy Screamy Factory! Carpenter film I want is Body Bags.

The version I bought with a slipcase,

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    For me, that is one of the most underrated films of the last 30 years as it just has this intense quality that blurs fantasy and reality as I think it is the last great film John Carpenter has ever done.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    For me, that is one of the most underrated films of the last 30 years as it just has this intense quality that blurs fantasy and reality as I think it is the last great film John Carpenter has ever done.
    the ending is also fantastic. most people, when they try to pull off endings like that, fall flat on their faces, but carpenter executed it perfectly and in a way that leaves me feeling just like sam neil does at the end.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    the ending is also fantastic. most people, when they try to pull off endings like that, fall flat on their faces, but carpenter executed it perfectly and in a way that leaves me feeling just like sam neil does at the end.
    Agreed. That film has one of the most perfect endings I had ever seen. It's a shame it never did well when it first came out.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    creep 2 was really good. mark duplass went all in. the ending made no sense, though.
    Last edited by kel; 08-10-2018 at 10:22 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Add me to the list of folks who love In The Mouth Of Madness.

In other horror movie news, I’m seeing a screening of They Live at the Alamo Drafthouse on Monday, and I just bought tickets to see Claudio Simonetti’s Goblin perform the score to Suspiria (as the movie plays) in early November.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    In the Mouth of Madness? Haven't seen it, but every October I watch as many horror movies as I can so I'll have to add it to my list.

Oddly enough I've been in the mood for cheesy b-horror movies from the 80s, so the last one I watched was Tourist Trap on Joe Bob Briggs' Shudder show. It was definitely weird, but at least was entertaining. I can't think of the last horror movie that blew me away aside from Get Out and Witch. And I still need to see A Quiet Place. Honestly, when I saw the trailer I thought nothing of it, but then so many of my friends recommended it to me I thought I should check it out. I'm keeping my expectations low because last time something was hyped up for me it was It Follows and I hate that movie.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaydraven View Post
    In the Mouth of Madness? Haven't seen it, but every October I watch as many horror movies as I can so I'll have to add it to my list.
    I'm keeping my expectations low because last time something was hyped up for me it was It Follows and I hate that movie.
    don't expect a straight-up horror movie and you won't be disappointed. it definitely is one of carpenter's best, though (in my opinion).

why didn't you like It Follows? i only watched it once but i fucking loved it. it'd be interesting to see if i liked it as much on repeat viewings.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    don't expect a straight-up horror movie and you won't be disappointed. it definitely is one of carpenter's best, though (in my opinion).

why didn't you like It Follows? i only watched it once but i fucking loved it. it'd be interesting to see if i liked it as much on repeat viewings.
    I think the premise is ridiculous. I made a joke about what was actually haunting people when the movie started and I can't believe I was right. I can understand the concept of being endlessly stalked is creepy, but to me, the movie didn't pull it off. Also, the whole thing about when it takes place being muddled - I find it to be more distracting than intriguing. I couldn't take it seriously. I'm a fan of all horror, so I wasn't expecting anything really except that it would be good and it just didn't live up to that for me. It would be interesting to see if my mind changes if I saw it again, but I don't plan on it anytime soon.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I haven't contributed a lot to this thread lately. I ran into a dry spell as far as discovering new horror movies and I've been busy with life in general.

Anyways, I caught Ghost Stories today and thought it was pretty good. Well done visually combined with a good story. Gave this one a solid 7/10. I would definitely recommend it.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    So no one is excited about The Nun? It's coming out in a couple of weeks and it looks creepy as hell. Maybe I was the only one who was creeped out by her in The Conjuring 2. Stupid Catholic upbringing...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    I haven't contributed a lot to this thread lately. I ran into a dry spell as far as discovering new horror movies and I've been busy with life in general.

Anyways, I caught Ghost Stories today and thought it was pretty good. Well done visually combined with a good story. Gave this one a solid 7/10. I would definitely recommend it.
    it was great but that ending was bullshit.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I finally caught A Quiet Place. It's pretty good I would say, but it's not really scary exactly.

I think I'm gonna check out Hereditary tonight. I also got A Ghost Story, which I'm assuming isn't exactly a horror movie either.
    @kaydraven and @eversonpoe , In the Mouth of Madness is one of my favorite movies. I always think of it in conjunction with another weird ass, not exactly horror movie that came out around the same time and I also love, that one being Lord of Illusion

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Oh dear god. Hereditary was fucking NUTS.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Nice! I got that one too as well as Ouija House. Gonna watch Hereditary this morning I guess.

Btw.. there is a difference between A Ghost Story and Ghost Stories. Former was alright but not really a horror movie. On the other hand, I'm sure you will dig the latter.
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 08-25-2018 at 07:41 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'll second that, holy shit!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Ooo...I'll have to check out Hereditary. I already forgot about that movie! I like holding horror marathons in October, so I'll probably include that and In the Mouth of Madness. I know the latter isn't exactly horror, but everyone keeps talking about how great it is, so I want to check it out!

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Hereditary was a fun ride.
    Now I'm watching Incident In A Ghostland. The first 20 minutes were freaking intense. So far so good!

Kinda glad I stepped away for a few months. Looks like several goos flicks were released during that time.

Ok Ghostland was awesome! Not super original but wild nonetheless. @elevenism add this one to your watchlist ad well.
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 08-25-2018 at 08:29 PM.