Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 4 44 52 53 54 55 LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,620 of 1636

Thread: spaceSuicide's Horrortastic Horrific Horror Film Thread...Of Horror!

  1. #1591
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,172
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    Yes, I usually end up doing that too for films I love. If for no other reason than to gain more perspective. I've only a few friends who even care about film out here in the real world so I love watching other's opinions even if I know my own take on any given film is pretty set. I certainly wasn't up to speed on Paimon lore before Hereditary and even though you don't really need to know for the film to be effective its still cool.
    I was researching the passages written on the walls as I watched; just a quick read to get some perspective on what they meant. After it was over, I started reading more about Paimon and it just made my environment that much more creepy because I almost felt like I was doing something wrong researching him. It almost felt like he was there with me, hahaa.

  2. #1592
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    84
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaydraven View Post
    for me it was a prettier, crazier version of The Wicker Man.
    Exactly this! If you're a fan of weird folk horror out in the sunshine, these are your two films.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaydraven View Post
    The Lighthouse is so mind boggling! One of those movies you watch several times and still have lots of questions.
    Shockingly, when I saw it in the theatre I had a feeling that I understood it pretty well. Months later I re-watched it and it was a completely different film for me. It'll take time to know for sure but I think it will stand the test of time very well. There's so much there and any viewing will raise more questions than answers.

  3. #1593
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    84
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    I was researching the passages written on the walls as I watched; just a quick read to get some perspective on what they meant. After it was over, I started reading more about Paimon and it just made my environment that much more creepy because I almost felt like I was doing something wrong researching him. It almost felt like he was there with me, hahaa.
    One of the reasons I'm so high on it and the witch is because of this type of effect they give. I don't believe in anything supernatural, none of it. And yet after these films I've got the creepy sense that the devil's hand is gonna drop on my shoulder and ask me if I like the taste of butter. If a film can do that to my skeptical mind, I'm going to give it props.

  4. #1594
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    9,968
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    One of the reasons I'm so high on it and the witch is because of this type of effect they give. I don't believe in anything supernatural, none of it. And yet after these films I've got the creepy sense that the devil's hand is gonna drop on my shoulder and ask me if I like the taste of butter. If a film can do that to my skeptical mind, I'm going to give it props.


    •••

    unrelated - i'm watching The Mortuary Collection on shudder and i was expecting it to be a comedic horror anthology. it is definitely TRYING to be that, but almost none of the humor is landing for me, and the horrific elements are mostly just super gross or super upsetting. pretty disappointing. although it was cool to see someone i know (tangentially) in the fraternity segment (brennan murray, playing connor).

  5. #1595
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,172
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    One of the reasons I'm so high on it and the witch is because of this type of effect they give. I don't believe in anything supernatural, none of it. And yet after these films I've got the creepy sense that the devil's hand is gonna drop on my shoulder and ask me if I like the taste of butter. If a film can do that to my skeptical mind, I'm going to give it props.
    Haha, I like that. I am the complete opposite and believe some stuff so it messed with my mind even more. I stay in an upstairs area with a tray ceiling so it reminds me of the layout of the attic in the film; the amount of times I have checked the corners since I watched is ridiculous lol. Also, when I went to put the light on after I was done watching, the fucking bulb burned out so I was freaked.

    I have yet to see The Witch.

  6. #1596
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    10,032
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    I have yet to see The Witch.
    It’s great but has an incredibly slow burn. Probably one of then worst offenders of a slow burn I can recall ever watching. If you find 1600’s Colonial life and culture interesting then this movie will be even better for you rather than just being a great horror thriller. The film is very accurate and very isolated in its setting. It’s so authentic.

    Movie is on Netflix if you’re looking for it.

  7. #1597
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,172
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    It’s great but has an incredibly slow burn. Probably one of then worst offenders of a slow burn I can recall ever watching. If you find 1600’s Colonial life and culture interesting then this movie will be even better for you rather than just being a great horror thriller. The film is very accurate and very isolated in its setting. It’s so authentic.

    Movie is on Netflix if you’re looking for it.
    Thanks for the heads up, I've been fumbling between all my streaming services lately with movies. Slow burns usually don't wear me down as it does to many, but it seems like something I can tolerate.

  8. #1598
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    319
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i haven't seen Unfriended but i LOVED Host. fun, taut, and genuinely scary. i'd highly recommend watching on your computer with headphones to feel like you're on the call with them.
    That's actually a brilliant idea. Maybe I'll check it out after all.

  9. #1599
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    84
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    It’s great but has an incredibly slow burn. Probably one of then worst offenders of a slow burn I can recall ever watching. If you find 1600’s Colonial life and culture interesting then this movie will be even better for you rather than just being a great horror thriller.

    Completely disagree that The VVitch is an offender of the slow burn. It is a master of the slow burn. The time, setting and way of life of the people is of absolute importance to the horror. Without living their lives you can't feel their fear. Hereditary is the exact same way in that you need the first half of the film to be a family drama so that when the horror ratchets up it actually means something.


    I laugh whenever someone tries to say most mainstream horror is scary. Most films are designed to have as much jump scares, creepy imagery, and loud sound effects to back them (so the viewer knows its supposed to be scary now) that by the end of the film the viewer has become so used to these tricks that they actually feel safe. Worst of all this formula leaves no reason to think or discuss the film afterwards.


    Spoiler for Hereditary incoming...The scene with the kid laying on his bed with his mother crouching on the ceiling is the best scene in the film imo. It is almost completely silent and there is no camera movement that directs the eye toward the corner of the room. Its just there on screen for the viewer to discover. It works because by that moment you have so much knowledge of this family and it works as psychological horror. Mother is now the devil. A lesser film maker would have cut to a quick zoom on the mother in the corner and played a loud screeching sound in the score. It may have raised a few people's blood pressure because of the loud sound and some would be fooled into thinking this was scary. The way Aster films this scene you wouldn't even notice if you weren't paying attention but if you are you'll think about it for days.


    The Witch builds it's tension in a similar manner and as a result its horror leaves a lasting impression. Unfortunately I think it has been recently taken off Netflix.

  10. #1600
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    6,886
    Mentioned
    477 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    Completely disagree that The VVitch is an offender of the slow burn. It is a master of the slow burn. The time, setting and way of life of the people is of absolute importance to the horror. Without living their lives you can't feel their fear. Hereditary is the exact same way in that you need the first half of the film to be a family drama so that when the horror ratchets up it actually means something.


    I laugh whenever someone tries to say most mainstream horror is scary. Most films are designed to have as much jump scares, creepy imagery, and loud sound effects to back them (so the viewer knows its supposed to be scary now) that by the end of the film the viewer has become so used to these tricks that they actually feel safe. Worst of all this formula leaves no reason to think or discuss the film afterwards.





    The Witch builds it's tension in a similar manner and as a result its horror leaves a lasting impression. Unfortunately I think it has been recently taken off Netflix.
    Agreed. The VVItch isn't exactly "slow burn," even. It's more of a gorgeous, atmospheric thing, with horrific tension throughout.

  11. #1601
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,172
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    Completely disagree that The VVitch is an offender of the slow burn. It is a master of the slow burn. The time, setting and way of life of the people is of absolute importance to the horror. Without living their lives you can't feel their fear. Hereditary is the exact same way in that you need the first half of the film to be a family drama so that when the horror ratchets up it actually means something.


    I laugh whenever someone tries to say most mainstream horror is scary. Most films are designed to have as much jump scares, creepy imagery, and loud sound effects to back them (so the viewer knows its supposed to be scary now) that by the end of the film the viewer has become so used to these tricks that they actually feel safe. Worst of all this formula leaves no reason to think or discuss the film afterwards.


    Spoiler for Hereditary incoming...The scene with the kid laying on his bed with his mother crouching on the ceiling is the best scene in the film imo. It is almost completely silent and there is no camera movement that directs the eye toward the corner of the room. Its just there on screen for the viewer to discover. It works because by that moment you have so much knowledge of this family and it works as psychological horror. Mother is now the devil. A lesser film maker would have cut to a quick zoom on the mother in the corner and played a loud screeching sound in the score. It may have raised a few people's blood pressure because of the loud sound and some would be fooled into thinking this was scary. The way Aster films this scene you wouldn't even notice if you weren't paying attention but if you are you'll think about it for days.
    I almost missed it, but as soon as my eyes panned over around the room last minute, I jumped out of my skin slowly (If that makes sense). I love how the film makes it seem as if it will be about Charlie when in fact it is really about Peter.

  12. #1602
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    10,032
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Well it’s just my opinion, doesn’t mean it’s right. Sorry if it was taken off Netflix without my knowledge and I gave off false information. You could always borrow my copy. D:


  13. #1603
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    84
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Well it’s just my opinion, doesn’t mean it’s right. Sorry if it was taken off Netflix without my knowledge and I gave off false information. You could always borrow my copy. D:

    Well of course your opinion isn't wrong if thats how you feel about it. I didn't mean to imply mine was the only correct opinion or anything I was just trying to explain why I disagree. Film, especially horror films are very subjective and what works for someone may not connect with someone else at all. It's like flavors of ice cream.

    That was an easy mistake to say it was on Netflix. Because it has been on Netflix for what seems like 5 years now, I just happened to notice when I went to watch it a couple weeks ago that it was gone. That's a sweet 4k edition though, all I have is an old dvd copy but luckily it came with a digital version. Sometimes its just easier to click play on the netflix app though.

  14. #1604
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Peoria, Illinois
    Posts
    2,202
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Well it’s just my opinion, doesn’t mean it’s right. Sorry if it was taken off Netflix without my knowledge and I gave off false information.
    Should be on Showtime, Hulu w/ Showtime, etc.

  15. #1605
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    9,968
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    finally finished "the mortuary collection" and i'm pretty bummed i didn't enjoy it. here's my (slightly spoilery) review:

    I really, really wanted to like this. By all accounts, I should have liked it. Horror anthologies, especially ones with a good sense of humor, are maybe my favorite sub-genre. But overall, it fell pretty flat for me.Pros:
    Great practical FX
    CGI that’s surprisingly well-done
    Good score
    Clancy Brown
    A giant middle finger to the patriarchy/rape culture/frat-house “conquest” mentality
    Loved the first story, despite its shortness
    Didn’t see the big twist(s) coming at all, so they were very effective
    Cons:
    Watched it in three sittings because it didn’t seem to hold my attention well
    While the gore was well-done, I found that it grossed me out rather than it being engrossing
    Almost none of the comedy landed for me
    The story about the catatonic wife made me so, so sad
    The tone was extremely uneven
    Some of the acting was...not good
    So yeah, it wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t great. Very middling for me, and I wouldn’t really recommend it.

  16. #1606
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    9,968
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    ok, i finally vvatched The VVitch tonight and i honestly loved it (sorry, @blasster ) and now i'll be going to be terrified of the fact that we have a baby due in exactly 30 days o.O

  17. #1607
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,311
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Wasn't sure where to post this, but John Carpenter just announced his next Lost Themes album will be released in February:
    https://johncarpentermusic.bandcamp....ve-after-death

  18. #1608
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    9,968
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Wasn't sure where to post this, but John Carpenter just announced his next Lost Themes album will be released in February:
    https://johncarpentermusic.bandcamp....ve-after-death
    i got a bandcamp e-mail and swung over to sacred bones (before they had sent out their e-mail and before it was even showing up on their front page) to grab the screenprinted wraparound version. money i shouldn't be spending but i love their special edition packaging so much.

    https://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/c...ve-after-death

    edit: glad i did, too, because it's already sold out!

  19. #1609
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    7,746
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

  20. #1610
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,362
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    My girlfriend and I are 27 movies into a marathon of watching 31 horror movies in October. Because we're dorks, we made a spreadsheet of how many movies contain certain horror movie things. Here's where we are at the moment:

    Household item as a weapon:19
    Unseen forces: 12
    Decapitation: 10
    The woods: 9
    Dead pets: 7
    Possession: 7
    Vomit: 7
    The End?: 6
    Troubled child: 5
    Self-mutilation: 5

  21. #1611
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    9,968
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    My girlfriend and I are 27 movies into a marathon of watching 31 horror movies in October. Because we're dorks, we made a spreadsheet of how many movies contain certain horror movie things. Here's where we are at the moment:

    Household item as a weapon:19
    Unseen forces: 12
    Decapitation: 10
    The woods: 9
    Dead pets: 7
    Possession: 7
    Vomit: 7
    The End?: 6
    Troubled child: 5
    Self-mutilation: 5
    do you use letterboxd? if not, i'd love to see your list!

    i just watched the 1999 remake of House On Haunted Hill tonight, for the first time in a long time. i must have watched it at least a dozen times in junior high, i was obsessed with it. unfortunately, the torrent i downloaded had a bunch of weird issues where scenes were partially out of order (at one point, a scene was playing, we'll say section A, then it jumped to D, to C, to B, to the end of A, and then back to the end of D). it was extremely distracting. there are some surprisingly great practical FX in the movie (and some horrible CGI), and i still liked it.

    i also downloaded the 2001 remake of 13 Ghosts (stylized as Thir13en Ghosts, in case you don't remember), which i was also obsessed with. both movies hold such nostalgia for me.

  22. #1612
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,362
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    do you use letterboxd? if not, i'd love to see your list!
    I use it just to mark movies as watched, so I don't have any lists, nor do I mark multiple viewings. That said, here you go!

    American Psycho
    An American Werewolf in London
    Attack The Block
    The Babadook
    Coraline
    Death Becomes Her
    Don't Breathe
    Bram Stoker's Dracula
    Ghostbusters
    Ghostbusters II
    Ghostbusters (2016)
    Happy Death Day
    Happy Death Day 2U
    The Haunting of Bly Manor (counting it as a movie)
    The Host
    The Invisible Man (2020)
    It Comes At Night
    It Follows
    The Omen
    Once Bitten
    The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
    The Thing
    Train To Busan
    Trick R' Treat
    Troll 2
    Wrong Turn
    You're Next

  23. #1613
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    9,968
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    I use it just to mark movies as watched, so I don't have any lists, nor do I mark multiple viewings. That said, here you go!

    American Psycho
    An American Werewolf in London
    Attack The Block
    The Babadook
    Coraline
    Death Becomes Her
    Don't Breathe
    Bram Stoker's Dracula
    Ghostbusters
    Ghostbusters II
    Ghostbusters (2016)
    Happy Death Day
    Happy Death Day 2U
    The Haunting of Bly Manor (counting it as a movie)
    The Host
    The Invisible Man (2020)
    It Comes At Night
    It Follows
    The Omen
    Once Bitten
    The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
    The Thing
    Train To Busan
    Trick R' Treat
    Troll 2
    Wrong Turn
    You're Next
    oh, yeah, i use the "diary" function of it and occasionally write reviews, but i don't make lists or anything. just nice to remember what (and when) i've watched, and how much i enjoyed it.

    also, once bitten is one of my favs (despite the bit of homophobia in it). i drunkenly bought the soundtrack on vinyl one night and i definitely do not regret it.

  24. #1614
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,172
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    A Quiet Place.......

    Signs, with no talking. Severely disappointed by this movie.

  25. #1615
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    4,537
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    A Quiet Place.......
    There were a lot of plot holes (like how would dad clap the moms cheeks without making noise, and how would they even try to have that baby?) but I liked it.


    ALSO.

    My girlfriend and I watched Haunt on shutter last night, we liked it a lot - its a low IQ masked slasher type movie with a fair amount of gore and is totally worth the watch if you have Shudder.

  26. #1616
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,362
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    also, once bitten is one of my favs (despite the bit of homophobia in it). i drunkenly bought the soundtrack on vinyl one night and i definitely do not regret it.
    Yeah, I loved it growing up. I showed it to my girlfriend with the disclaimer that it might be terrible, but we had a great time with it.

    I definitely caught the microaggressions, which I attribute less to homophobia on the part of the filmmakers and more an accurate representation of straight white dudes in the '80s in that not-trying-to-hurt-anyone's-feelings-but-just-insecure kind of way.

    I would say a more problematic aspect is the design of Robin, who is WAY too willing to keep coming back to Mark after he's repeatedly shitty to her.

    But I take both of those things with a grain of dumb 80s movie salt.

  27. #1617
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,362
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    A Quiet Place.......

    Signs, with no talking. Severely disappointed by this movie.
    I mean, the worst part of signs was the talking, so...

    I love AQP. I don't disagree with the plot hole stuff, but it doesn't both me. It may not hold up against the average movie, but I think it kicks the shit out of the average horror movie.

    I got to co-write this video featuring the sound designers if anyone's interested.


  28. #1618
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,172
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    I mean, the worst part of signs was the talking, so...

    I love AQP. I don't disagree with the plot hole stuff, but it doesn't both me. It may not hold up against the average movie, but I think it kicks the shit out of the average horror movie.

    I got to co-write this video featuring the sound designers if anyone's interested.

    A Quiet Place is not a horror movie in my eyes... Scary? Maybe.. Thrilling? Sure.. But it didn't feel horror at all; It felt cheap with rehashed ideas... This movie makes no sense. Even the newspaper clippings looked cheap.

    ... And Signs, while I admit doesn't have groundbreaking dialogue, that scene with Mel Gibson giving the "What do you believe in speech" was a pretty dam good moment for dialogue.

    Daughter with disability holds the key to the creatures weakness and they accidently figure it out... Not thinking about water is one thing to use as a weapon, but no one thought that a creature with super hearing would be weak to higher frequency noises? Come onnnn...

    One minute the daughter is carefully stepping on spots on the floor (Making tons of noise anyway) to not make noise... Then when she has her temper tantrum she is walking around in another house without being careful of what she steps on lol... The rules aren't consistent.

    A raccoon makes a little noise and they are instantly grabbed off the sand trail. They were legit running on the sand in some moments but they aren't heard? There are plot holes like swiss here.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 10-30-2020 at 12:12 PM.

  29. #1619
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,362
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    A Quiet Place is not a horror movie in my eyes...
    I mean, it is a horror movie. That's not a matter of opinion. It's a movie about people running from monsters and is designed to elicit fear in the viewer. If you don't think it was good, that's totally fine, but there's really no argument that it isn't a horror movie.
    Last edited by Toadflax; 10-30-2020 at 12:43 PM.

  30. #1620
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,172
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    I mean, it is a horror movie. That's not a matter of opinion. It's a movie about people running from monsters and is designed to illicit fear in the viewer. If you don't think it was good, that's totally fine, but there's really no argument that it isn't a horror movie.
    What? Not every movie that has people running from a CG monster is horror. Super 8 is a perfect example of this... Even Hereditary isn't horror in some people's eyes. It absolutely is matter of opinion lol.

    Edit: A better perfect example... Jurrasic Park. It is supposed to illicit fear, but it is classified as Sci-fi adventure/Thriller.

    That is where the horror/thriller comparisons come into play imo.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 10-30-2020 at 12:47 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions